PS4 and Harmony remote? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #211 of 290 Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
The screen thing may or may not be a big deal to you. I use mine for all sorts of functions, so I want the screen on mine. The problem with the PS4 is it just does not work right. That's OK with me, I do not use my PS4 for anything other than gaming. I have several other devices for watching TV and movies (HTPC, Roku, AFTV, NVidia Shield, PS3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 290 Old 10-07-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
I read through this thread and see that the hub remotes function, but was just looking for feedback as to pros and cons. The biggest difference is clearly the screen vs. no screen. I'll just gather any extra information in other reviews.
I have the one without the screen and though it works (other than Power On) I've gone back to my screen-based Harmony which doesn't work with the hub. I don't like the layout of the one with the screen, it was more expensive, and still can't turn the blasted PS4 on.

They have come out with a new, more expensive screen-based remote. I like the layout of it. But it still can't turn on the PS4. I know it's not Harmony's fault, but still...sigh.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #213 of 290 Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I ended up buying both. The Touch is available at Best Buy for $100 and I bought a refurbished Smart Controller with Hub for $60 on eBay. I'd like to be able to turn on the PS4, but it is in close proximity to me so not a deal killer. I'm looking forward to trying them out, as I've been using the 700 model for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 290 Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

It occurs to me that someone with the engineering prowess and time/inclination (and money) ought to be able to make a remote that turns it on. Sony allows 3rd party game controllers, yes? They have a PS button which turns the PS4 on via bluetooth, yes? So, voila. Pay for a license to make a game controller, but put it in a case that's shaped like a remote, with buttons to match.

Double True!
post #215 of 290 Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
It occurs to me that someone with the engineering prowess and time/inclination (and money) ought to be able to make a remote that turns it on. Sony allows 3rd party game controllers, yes? They have a PS button which turns the PS4 on via bluetooth, yes? So, voila. Pay for a license to make a game controller, but put it in a case that's shaped like a remote, with buttons to match.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This is coming soon. No idea if it will open the door for harmony compatibility though.

I just picked up a Harmony Home Control white remote + hub last week. Found it on clearance at BB for $100. I love it. The phone app is also pretty sweet. It is so much more responsive than the 5+ year old 700 series it replaced.
post #216 of 290 Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 4028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

This is coming soon. No idea if it will open the door for harmony compatibility though.
Wow - did that take a long time! No idea what is up with Sony - why wasn't this available on launch????
post #217 of 290 Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Brilliant ! wonder how long it is before Europe gets it ?
post #218 of 290 Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

They stole my idea

I don't think this will change the situation for Harmony folks, but it does seem to be a learning/programmable remote so you could theoretically replace (or augment) a Harmony with this if your system wasn't too complex.

EDIT: well I ordered one. Says Oct 27. I'll report back.
curtlots likes this.

Double True!
post #219 of 290 Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
They stole my idea

I don't think this will change the situation for Harmony folks, but it does seem to be a learning/programmable remote so you could theoretically replace (or augment) a Harmony with this if your system wasn't too complex.

EDIT: well I ordered one. Says Oct 27. I'll report back.
That was my thought as well. Hopefully it works.

Let us know and keep us updated!
post #220 of 290 Old 10-11-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Not sure, but that ps4 remote may be available at Gamestop. It said pre-order a week ago but now says buy new/pick up at store. I haven't been able to confirm though.

http://m.gamestop.com/product/ps4/ac...-remote/122208
post #221 of 290 Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
looks like it might be Christmas for us ..

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/first...-in-uk/0157214

post #222 of 290 Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I got the ps4 remote yesterday from Amazon. It's not great. Doesn't work at all with youtube. It works with amazon video but not the play/pause/rewind buttons. It's also seems too narrow and has small buttons. It's no where near as good as the PS3 BD remote. Will try it some more this weekend, but I might return it.
DaverJ likes this.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Battle.net: ?
post #223 of 290 Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The PS3 BD remote was kind of flaky with Amazon Prime Video too. It may have gotten better over time, but I had switched to a Harmony by then.
post #224 of 290 Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post
I got the ps4 remote yesterday from Amazon. It's not great. Doesn't work at all with youtube. It works with amazon video but not the play/pause/rewind buttons. It's also seems too narrow and has small buttons. It's no where near as good as the PS3 BD remote. Will try it some more this weekend, but I might return it.
Got mine too and...it doesn't turn the PS4 off?!? Am I doing something wrong? I press the PS4 button, and even hit the Eject button, which makes the PS4 respond, so I know it's working with the PS4. But then I hit the Pwr button and there's zero response from the PS4.

I mean, the Harmony hub turns it off essentially by macro, but can't turn it on. This turns it on but can't turn it off? WTF?

Please tell me I missed something.

Double True!
post #225 of 290 Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Got mine too and...it doesn't turn the PS4 off?!? Am I doing something wrong? I press the PS4 button, and even hit the Eject button, which makes the PS4 respond, so I know it's working with the PS4. But then I hit the Pwr button and there's zero response from the PS4.

I mean, the Harmony hub turns it off essentially by macro, but can't turn it on. This turns it on but can't turn it off? WTF?

I'm very interested in this PS4 remote as well. We're using our PS4 pretty regularly for Netflix and Plex, and I was hoping that since the PS4 does CEC over HDMI that it would essentially add bluetooth audio controls for my amp.

Do any of you users have your PS4 setup with CEC (bravia link is the flavor i believe) over HDMI through a tuner?

Thanks!
post #226 of 290 Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think power off works but I returned mine so I can't check.

post #227 of 290 Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
The PS3 BD remote was kind of flaky with Amazon Prime Video too. It may have gotten better over time, but I had switched to a Harmony by then.
PS3 remote works great with Amazon Video; we use it all the time.

The PS4 remote option (or lack of it until now) was one of the several factors that's kept me from upgrading the console. Now hearing things like the PS4 remote doesn't even work on YouTube? Not impressive.

post #228 of 290 Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post
I don't think power off works but I returned mine so I can't check.
This would be an #epicfail in my book. I like it in that I hate using a controller during movies (I can never remember what button does what), so I won't return it. But...seriously?!?

Double True!
post #229 of 290 Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I'm having trouble getting my Harmony Elite to control my PS4 in Blu-Ray Playback.

The Elite works fine in the system menu but as soon as I select Blu-Ray disc, none of the remote buttons do anything and I have to use my PS4 controller. When I go back to the system menu, the controller works again. PS3 playback works fine.

I read this was an issue a few months ago with the Media Player, but I know I had full playback capability because I had to map a function to the 'info' button. Also, I made sure the remote worked before selling the 900 I used to have.

I tried deleting and re-adding the activity to the Harmony and re-pairing it to the PS4. No luck.

What's wrong, how to I get the Elite to control the Blu-Ray playback on my PS4?
post #230 of 290 Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The answer to your question is that the media controls don't work. You need to hit the options button that is buried on your screen. That will open up a submenu that will give you access to transport control using the d pad to navigate. It is about the most half baked way of doing things that I have seen. PS3 is a much more complete player from a usability standpoint.
post #231 of 290 Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIII View Post
The answer to your question is that the media controls don't work. You need to hit the options button that is buried on your screen. That will open up a submenu that will give you access to transport control using the d pad to navigate. It is about the most half baked way of doing things that I have seen. PS3 is a much more complete player from a usability standpoint.
When I first got my Elite the controls did work perfectly, just like a PS4. I know it did because I waited to verify functionality before I sold my Harmony 900.

I dunno what to do.
post #232 of 290 Old 12-12-2015, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 105
It is interesting that your controls worked at first. I just got my PS4 2 weeks ago and mine never worked right with the media controls. I can operate it through the options but I was so disappointed in how clumsy the interface is. I decided to keep my PS3 for bluray's. Logitech needs to figure out how to make this thing work.
post #233 of 290 Old 12-16-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PS4 and Harmony remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIII View Post
It is interesting that your controls worked at first. I just got my PS4 2 weeks ago and mine never worked right with the media controls. I can operate it through the options but I was so disappointed in how clumsy the interface is. I decided to keep my PS3 for bluray's. Logitech needs to figure out how to make this thing work.
It's possible I'm just crazy and confused, but I specifically waited to sell my Harmony 900 and PS3 adapter until I verified everything worked properly. Heck, the only reason I even bought the Elite was for PS4 control. I wouldn't have not tested it so I'm sure it worked at one point.

The weird thing is control varies based on what you do. Apparently double pressing the PS button or FF button do different things than expected.

I ended up buying a S6500 (which I tried to avoid by buying the PS4) for 3D + TrueHD Blu-rays; the rest I'll use the PS3 for. (The S6500 doesn't have 1.5x playback like the PS3/4 does to plow through special features quickly).

Now that the PDP PS4 remote is out, hopefully Harmony will get it figured out. Not that it matters anymore, for me. (Unless they fix it within the 90-day return window on my S6500.)
post #234 of 290 Old 12-17-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Elite may be like my Ultimate. There are different settings for short press or long press on most buttons. I am not aware of double click settings on my Ultimate though.

As someone else said, I'm still using my PS3 for BD playback.
post #235 of 290 Old 12-17-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
The Elite may be like my Ultimate. There are different settings for short press or long press on most buttons. I am not aware of double click settings on my Ultimate though.

As someone else said, I'm still using my PS3 for BD playback.
I really should have kept my PS3 for BD playback.

And, yes, the Elite does have the different settings for long/short press (although I don't use mine to control the PS4.)
post #236 of 290 Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ended up just buying a Sony S6500 for movies. Not having to use my PS4 controller was worth the $100 alone. Harmony really screwed the pooch. Their 'work-around' is a joke.

Especially frustrating for me as the only reason I bought a PS4 now was for simultaneous 3D+DolbyHD (PS3 doesn't) and the only reason I traded my Harmony 900 for the Elite was for the PS4 controllability.

Oh well.
post #237 of 290 Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was considering picking up a PS4, but i am a Harmony Home Control die hard.

If my remote doesn't work, i don't want it.
post #238 of 290 Old 01-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I've actually started using my tv remote using hdmi-cec. It works great with Amazon video and youtube.

post #239 of 290 Old 01-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGeek View Post
Was considering picking up a PS4, but i am a Harmony Home Control die hard.

If my remote doesn't work, i don't want it.
My Harmony remote controls my PS4 just fine. The only thing I have to do is turn the PS4 on manually either via the console itself or the PS4 remote. Other than that I have no issues.
post #240 of 290 Old 01-07-2016, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURX8 View Post
My Harmony remote controls my PS4 just fine. The only thing I have to do is turn the PS4 on manually either via the console itself or the PS4 remote. Other than that I have no issues.
Interesting. Perhaps (unlikely) there has been an update in the last few weeks. In addition to not powering on (not really a big deal), the FF/RW, play/pause...'transport' or 'media keys' do not work in Blu-ray playback. Have you tested Blu-ray playback and everything works fine?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I swear that it was working for me at one point because I wanted to test it before selling my old Harmony 900 and I did sell the 900...After it quit working I tried to remove and re-add everything...no such luck. The arrow keys on the system menu and in apps generally work, though.

Eventually called Logitech and they said the media keys do not work and the way the Harmony 'controls' the PS4 during Blu-ray playback is via the onscreen menu.

Quote:
Blu-ray Disc
While on the Disc Menu, a double press on the PS button is required before PS4 will accept commands from other remotes or keyboards. Once done, Harmony can control Blu-ray playback.

Direction Keys will navigate the Blu-ray menu.

Media Keys do not work; however pressing Menu or Direction Up buttons will show an on screen display permitting movie control.
Source.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 01-07-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page