Far Cry 4 Coming 11/18/14 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #61 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'm a few hours in and enjoying it so far. The early game hews so closely to Far Cry 3 that it almost feels like a reskin rather than a sequel, but as you get further in, new options open up for you.

Took my first outpost by sniping the alarm box, sneaking down and mounting an elephant, then trampling and tossing everyone inside. That was pretty funny. Hunting predators from the back of an elephant is also fun, though a bit one-sided.

I like the idea of the grappling hook, and the rope swinging you can do with it is pretty neat, but first person doesn't really lend itself to pendular platforming, so I've whiffed quite a few times.

I like the mini-copters. Kind of a necessary addition given the verticality of Kyrat. I witnessed my funniest moment so far from a chopper -- a rhino chasing a guy down, knocking him over repeatedly, and then head-butting him off a very tall cliff.

The game is very pretty. No framerate dips or hitches for me so far. HDR is a bit excessive at times, but cranking up the brightness beyond the recommended level helps a lot.

Haven't tried any multiplayer yet, but I'll give it a whirl once I'm further along.

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
I blew through FC3 in a week and I do not want to blast through this one too quickly.

Sounds like a personal problem.

We should go after a fort. I want to see how difficult that would be.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #63 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Yeah when Nex and I did the coop we spent most of the time hunting because Nex needed to craft badly in order to unlock some weapon slots and be able to carry more ammo and loot. Therefore not too much time shenaniging for us.

So only two player coop huh? Truthfully need at least 4 to really have a rowdy time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Yeah when Nex and I did the coop we spent most of the time hunting because Nex needed to craft badly in order to unlock some weapon slots and be able to carry more ammo and loot. Therefore not too much time shenaniging for us.

So only two player coop huh? Truthfully need at least 4 to really have a rowdy time.
That won't be an issue next time. Still need more crafting done but at least I have the wallet and loot bag opened up a bit so I'm not so tight there. Also have the bow, a silenced sniper, and the grenade chucker you can use instead of a handgun.
post #65 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Sounds like a personal problem.

We should go after a fort. I want to see how difficult that would be.
Lol shouldn't be bad.
post #66 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
That won't be an issue next time. Still need more crafting done but at least I have the wallet and loot bag opened up a bit so I'm not so tight there. Also have the bow, a silenced sniper, and the grenade chucker you can use instead of a handgun.
Is the crafting strategy similar to FC3?
post #67 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There's a demo out on PS4. Kind of a stealth release.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Battle.net: ?
post #68 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Is the crafting strategy similar to FC3?
From what I remember yea. Go kill something a few times, skin them, build a new X item. Get your loot bag and wallet first then on to ammo bags. Actually my weapon one was first but I lucked across whatever needed dead easily.
post #69 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Since you jerks won't shut up about this game, I guess I'm gonna have to get it now. Hahaha...

Pretty good article for NewbZ like me:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-far-cry-4-1661679705
Chairman7w likes this.
post #70 of 150 Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post
Since you jerks won't shut up about this game, I guess I'm gonna have to get it now. Hahaha...

Pretty good article for NewbZ like me:

Well stop eavesdropping!
DarrellG likes this.
post #71 of 150 Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm shocked how good this game looks and runs. So at least we know that Ubisoft can make good looking games without glitches. Why they don't do it more consistently is the real mystery.

I still sometimes wish it was a third person game. Feels kind of like GTA combined with Uncharted, and both of those are third person.

500 gigs FTL.
post #72 of 150 Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Credits are rolling...need to play again and pick Sabal this time. No BJ's or boobies from Amita....boo
post #73 of 150 Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Credits are rolling...need to play again and pick Sabal this time. No BJ's or boobies from Amita....boo

Ha, yeah I plan on doing a quick play again also. But I plan on trying those other things we discussed last night.

post #74 of 150 Old 11-30-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha, yeah I plan on doing a quick play again also. But I plan on trying those other things we discussed last night.
Honey badgers are apparently a menace to creatures great and small. Watched a thing on YouTube about them. They go after tigers and hyenas and bite their nuts. Hard to kill too. They dig honey and one was found to have survived 300+ stings. So those lil basturds really are aholes in real life. Smart on top of everything else....ugh...needs more LMG.
post #75 of 150 Old 11-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The game is on sale right now on amazon for $49.99 and also Target has it for the same price.

I just bought it at my local Target.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAED850/..._YwYEub16PGWFY
post #76 of 150 Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Still having a good time but ran into a bug with the controls. I turned off the touch pad because I would often rest my finger on it and select some other weapon. Now, whenever I continue my game, it reverts back to the touch pad being active, even though the options is turned off in the controls menu. Only way around it is to turn it on, exit the menu so it will save, then go back into the menu and turn it off again. Annoying little bug but at least I only have to do it once per session.

Have to guys cleared the fortresses? I cleared one with a friend earlier and it was easier than I thought it would be. Basically, it's a big outpost with 3 alarms and more heavies.

My only big gripe is I think the AI is a little too aggressive at times. Sometimes I just want to go do a mission, but most of the time I have to fight enemies in trucks, wildlife (seriously, F the Eagles and honey badgers) and random karma crap while I'm en route. Sometimes I don't mind, other times I just want to rage quit out of protest. Thought about dropping it down to easy just to have more fun.
post #77 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Still having a good time but ran into a bug with the controls. I turned off the touch pad because I would often rest my finger on it and select some other weapon. Now, whenever I continue my game, it reverts back to the touch pad being active, even though the options is turned off in the controls menu. Only way around it is to turn it on, exit the menu so it will save, then go back into the menu and turn it off again. Annoying little bug but at least I only have to do it once per session.

Have to guys cleared the fortresses? I cleared one with a friend earlier and it was easier than I thought it would be. Basically, it's a big outpost with 3 alarms and more heavies.

My only big gripe is I think the AI is a little too aggressive at times. Sometimes I just want to go do a mission, but most of the time I have to fight enemies in trucks, wildlife (seriously, F the Eagles and honey badgers) and random karma crap while I'm en route. Sometimes I don't mind, other times I just want to rage quit out of protest. Thought about dropping it down to easy just to have more fun.
I also removed the touchpad option but I will check on your issue to see if it does it to me.

I also thought the fortresses are way to easy. I took down all 4 on my own and a few on some friends games. I agree its way to easy to take down.

Are you walking to these missions? If so take a vehicle and just keep driving by the enemies. I always tried to wing suit it to places. My top 3 preferred methods of travel are Elephant, Buzzard and Wing suit.

post #78 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK peckers, I just bought the digital version. I tried to do the demo, Lazy sent me a key. I put the code in and it showed up as a purchase and I clicked "Continue" and nothing happened. It still wouldn't let me in the demo.

So hopefully this will be downloaded by the time I get home tonight. I still can't figure out how to force my PS4 to turn on and check for downloads.
post #79 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK peckers, I just bought the digital version. I tried to do the demo, Lazy sent me a key. I put the code in and it showed up as a purchase and I clicked "Continue" and nothing happened. It still wouldn't let me in the demo.

So hopefully this will be downloaded by the time I get home tonight. I still can't figure out how to force my PS4 to turn on and check for downloads.

I don't think its a demo, I think its so you can do co-op with someone else. I think someone else has to own the game for you to play with that key. I could be wrong though.

post #80 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think its a demo, I think its so you can do co-op with someone else. I think someone else has to own the game for you to play with that key. I could be wrong though.
Nope that's the way I understand it as well.
post #81 of 150 Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plat number 5 in the books.
icelt likes this.
post #82 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Very early so far on this game, like only 8%-ish, but a very nice change of pace compared to the dominatrix that is Destiny. Only a lone Honey Badger encounter, 3 compound bow shots solved that problem right fast, and have no idea as yet what to do about the Rhino's (no spoilers please ).

Anyway I'm way behind ya'll obviously so I don't want to get into many specifics but just thought I'd drop in and note that I am really enjoying my first Far Cry experience. Looks fantastic as well natch.
Chairman7w likes this.

Last edited by icelt; 12-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
post #83 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, I just started last night. This game is hands down the most beautiful PS4 game to date. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. I read that link I posted earlier and it gave me some good tips. Very Ubisoft-like with the Radio Towers which are almost identical to the View Points in Assassin's Creed.

Here's the link with the tips. There are no spoilers:

lodolfan and icelt like this.
post #84 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
So, is there a demo for this game on PS4 ?

Seems like demos are so rare these days.
post #85 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Plat number 5 in the books.
Is it a quick and easy one? I've tried to put my trophy whoring days behind me, but I still go for them if the game is fun. I still haven't broken away from Destiny, but I've got this and Lords of the Fallen sitting on my shelf still in their shrink wrap.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #86 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
Is it a quick and easy one? I've tried to put my trophy whoring days behind me, but I still go for them if the game is fun. I still haven't broken away from Destiny, but I've got this and Lords of the Fallen sitting on my shelf still in their shrink wrap.
31ish hours is what it took me. It's rare that I go out of my way for a plat but these are just stupid easy. It's exactly like FC3. You can buy it, beat it, plat it, and return it in a week flat. I didn't play this one nearly as hard as I played FC3 either. All that said, I'm at like 65%, have not messed with the user content, ignored MP, and can coop for lolz. So the game does have some longer legs than I've given it.
post #87 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Yea, I just started last night. This game is hands down the most beautiful PS4 game to date. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. I read that link I posted earlier and it gave me some good tips. Very Ubisoft-like with the Radio Towers which are almost identical to the View Points in Assassin's Creed.

Here's the link with the tips. There are no spoilers:

It is fantastic looking. Have you tried Dragon Age? Is is gorgeous as well. They have very different styles but both look great and impressive for what they do.
DarrellG likes this.
post #88 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
31ish hours is what it took me. It's rare that I go out of my way for a plat but these are just stupid easy. It's exactly like FC3. You can buy it, beat it, plat it, and return it in a week flat. I didn't play this one nearly as hard as I played FC3 either. All that said, I'm at like 65%, have not messed with the user content, ignored MP, and can coop for lolz. So the game does have some longer legs than I've given it.
Guess I misread the trophy list, thought that a few of them were MP related. And yeah that's a very quick plat, I've got probably 250 ish hours in KZ and Destiny and not a sniff of Plat between them.
post #89 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post
Guess I misread the trophy list, thought that a few of them were MP related. And yeah that's a very quick plat, I've got probably 250 ish hours in KZ and Destiny and not a sniff of Plat between them.
You try a user created map and finish two or three MP matches. Seriously that's it. The rest are campaign stuff. It's a cakewalk.
icelt likes this.
post #90 of 150 Old 12-02-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 318
You know, I just don't use the word "hew" nearly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
I'm a few hours in and enjoying it so far. The early game hews so closely to Far Cry 3 that it almost feels like a reskin rather than a sequel, but as you get further in, new options open up for you.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page