GTA V Coming to PS4 & Xbox One - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 87 Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I pre-ordered the digital version last night! That's right, I bought the digital version. I know I've been very out spoken in my support of physical copies but, I know this is a game I will play for a long time especially since I only played a handful of the mission before I traded in my 360 to pay for my PS4.

I think this is only the 4th or 5th game I've actually bought for the PS4, I've just used GF for the rest. All the games I've bought have been the digital versions as well so, I have yet to buy a physical copy of a game this gen. I've found that because of GF, I'm more willing to buy the digital versions because when I decided to purchase a game I'm pretty confident that it is one I'll play for a while so, I'm not as concerned with trade-in values.

ANyway... can't wait to dive back into the world of GTA V after a year long absence! Can't wait to see the imporvemnts R* has made with the PS4 version as well.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I stopped playing the PS3 version once they announced this. Can't wait to continue on the PS4.
post #33 of 87 Old 10-24-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I pre-ordered the digital version last night! That's right, I bought the digital version. I know I've been very out spoken in my support of physical copies but,

You're dead to me....

Just kidding..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Is the Digital version available to pre-order on the XBOne yet?

I had played it for a couple of weeks on the 360 last year before I traded it in. Did they say something about progress carrying over to the current gen? Or did I mis-read that? If not maybe i will get it on the PS4. I do need something to get on that system and I don't see anything coming out the rest of the year that I want to get on the PS4.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #35 of 87 Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I have this pre-ordered too. I really need a change of pace game from the endless run of FPS's I've been on lately.
post #36 of 87 Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I hope the price drops a bit by Christmas. $69 in Canada is a bit steep. Still want it bad though.
post #37 of 87 Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is the Digital version available to pre-order on the XBOne yet?

I had played it for a couple of weeks on the 360 last year before I traded it in. Did they say something about progress carrying over to the current gen? Or did I mis-read that? If not maybe i will get it on the PS4. I do need something to get on that system and I don't see anything coming out the rest of the year that I want to get on the PS4.
Listen to the last 20 seconds or so...AFAIK though your progress is saved to the R* socail club so I thnk you can pick up where you left off regardless of the console.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #38 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 73
post #39 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Wow, that first person trailer looks incredible. This will be like a whole new game. I can't wait.
post #40 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post
That is frickin cool. Definitely have to double dip now.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #41 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I'm interested now that the FPS mode has been revealed. I hope the gun play feels great.

The 3rd person game play sucks on the last gen version. A complete overhaul of the 3rd person combat would be very welcome.

Such an impressive world they have built. The lighting engine on the last gen consoles is fantastic.
post #42 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
UHD Addict

I'm pretty sure I would not like first person all the time. But I read that you can choose to use 1st person or 3rd person for something like driving, on foot, cover etc. So as long as you can choose I think I might like that. I don't like first person in a car unless I'm using a steering wheel. But in an airplane I am fine using first person.

post #43 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm on the fence about picking this up again. This is my second favorite game of all time (Last of Us being the first) but I just played the heck out of it a year ago. If the first person controls are solid I'm in for sure.
post #44 of 87 Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I would not like first person all the time. But I read that you can choose to use 1st person or 3rd person for something like driving, on foot, cover etc. So as long as you can choose I think I might like that. I don't like first person in a car unless I'm using a steering wheel. But in an airplane I am fine using first person.
FPS is optional and you can set it just for parts you want as well. You can use all the same view from before also. It sounds like they didn't just toss it in but put a lot of work into it.
post #45 of 87 Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'm going to grab this but I have to wait for a Black Friday deal. Just scooped up COD:AW and Diablo. I won't get to this game to well after the first patch, but I'll buy it on Black Friday if there is a deal running. By one get one 1/2 off or something like that.
post #46 of 87 Old 11-05-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 318
HOLY Crap this looks incredible!!! Dang, Nov 18 is going to be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
Wow, that first person trailer looks incredible. This will be like a whole new game. I can't wait.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #47 of 87 Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I may have to take that week off, been a long time since I have taken any time off of work for a game.
post #48 of 87 Old 11-08-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It looks awesome. Especially first person mode. But they still haven't said anything about toning down the insane cops. So I'm gonna wait for some YouTube videos confirming they've been changed before I buy it.

500 gigs FTL.
post #49 of 87 Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post
It looks awesome. Especially first person mode. But they still haven't said anything about toning down the insane cops. So I'm gonna wait for some YouTube videos confirming they've been changed before I buy it.
I don't know man, I never had a special problem with the cops. Just... run. It got where they were never even a concern anymore. Use alleys, jump off freeways, , train tracks, etc... If this non-stick-skill 48-yr old can evade the cops, I know you can.

post #50 of 87 Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
First Impressions on PS4:

GOOD!
- 1080p at 30fps without so much judder as was on the 360 version is a welcome change

- Improved Textures, visual effects make the world prettier, also better AA is being used on nextgen according to reports.

- First Person Mode is a hoot. I haven't played with the settings yet, but I can say that your character still has the same 'weight' in FPS mode, so aiming
isn't like Call of Duty...you can play this more like a tactical shooter in FPS mode (if you turn off the snap-aim).

- Even better is FPS mode with 3rd person from Cover! This is just like the old RAINBOW SIX games on last-gen were, FPS's until you snapped to cover, then it went
3rd person so you could see your entire surroundings better, a VERY welcome addition if you want to play FPS in a game that is more designed for 3rd.

- Detail, Detail, Detail......even more detail at 1080p........effects like sun-bloom and shadows look much, much better........can't wait to experience a few weather cycles, going underwater, flying, etc.

NOT SO GOOD!
- 1080p at 30fps still gives you some judder, cut-scenes judder, the world still judders. Not as much as on last-gen, but this isn't 30fps smooth like in many games, its 30fps GTA smooth.....smooth, but with judder

- At 720p last gen, the world of Los Santos looked *insane*. At 1080p on new gen, and this being a port of a title and not a true next-gen from the ground up game, it doesn't have the same "zomg" impact to me that the 360 version did. Yes, yes I'm jaded and yes I haven't had time to live with the new version.....this is just that gut instinct reaction. on last gen I kept going "omg, how does this *run*!?". On this system, I'm being less forgiving and more critical..........its the Low-Poly situation I think. Again, its more one of expectation management I think...

- Slowdown. This is not a bulletproof 30fps, downtown mid-day had me into the low 20's or if this is vsynced down to 15fps for a few seconds dodging traffic, the cops at midday.

And finally one issue: I'm not seeing the loads of pedestrians or loads of additional traffic yet........maybe that is reserved for the PC version but I'm seeing 'about the same' number of people on the streets as before, and about the same number of cars...no, perhaps a few more cars...where there would be four, there might be six now...or eight....but I was kind of expecting to see a larger number of pedestrians and people-props in the world, that hasn't really materialized yet for me.

Having said that, its still the best game made so far FPS MODE is almost worthy of NOT using until you finish the game, just to replay as an FPS.

-

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #51 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is a great post HeadRusch, I agree with all your points. It definitely is *way* more immersive in that first person mode. Just walking around, and taking in the City was cool as heck in First Person mode. I'm going to do the whole story that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

GOOD!
- 1080p at 30fps without so much judder as was on the 360 version is a welcome change

- Improved Textures, visual effects make the world prettier, also better AA is being used on nextgen according to reports.

- First Person Mode is a hoot. I haven't played with the settings yet, but I can say that your character still has the same 'weight' in FPS mode, so aiming
isn't like Call of Duty...you can play this more like a tactical shooter in FPS mode (if you turn off the snap-aim).

- Even better is FPS mode with 3rd person from Cover! This is just like the old RAINBOW SIX games on last-gen were, FPS's until you snapped to cover, then it went
3rd person so you could see your entire surroundings better, a VERY welcome addition if you want to play FPS in a game that is more designed for 3rd.

- Detail, Detail, Detail......even more detail at 1080p........effects like sun-bloom and shadows look much, much better........can't wait to experience a few weather cycles, going underwater, flying, etc.

NOT SO GOOD!
- 1080p at 30fps still gives you some judder, cut-scenes judder, the world still judders. Not as much as on last-gen, but this isn't 30fps smooth like in many games, its 30fps GTA smooth.....smooth, but with judder

- At 720p last gen, the world of Los Santos looked *insane*. At 1080p on new gen, and this being a port of a title and not a true next-gen from the ground up game, it doesn't have the same "zomg" impact to me that the 360 version did. Yes, yes I'm jaded and yes I haven't had time to live with the new version.....this is just that gut instinct reaction. on last gen I kept going "omg, how does this *run*!?". On this system, I'm being less forgiving and more critical..........its the Low-Poly situation I think. Again, its more one of expectation management I think...

- Slowdown. This is not a bulletproof 30fps, downtown mid-day had me into the low 20's or if this is vsynced down to 15fps for a few seconds dodging traffic, the cops at midday.

And finally one issue: I'm not seeing the loads of pedestrians or loads of additional traffic yet........maybe that is reserved for the PC version but I'm seeing 'about the same' number of people on the streets as before, and about the same number of cars...no, perhaps a few more cars...where there would be four, there might be six now...or eight....but I was kind of expecting to see a larger number of pedestrians and people-props in the world, that hasn't really materialized yet for me.

Having said that, its still the best game made so far FPS MODE is almost worthy of NOT using until you finish the game, just to replay as an FPS.

-

post #52 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 AM
UHD Addict

I tried the first person view several times on the XBOne. I can't use it. Every time I tried I started to feel queasy. WHich means something isn't right. That doesn't happen with a typical first person shooter game for me. I don't have those issues. And it can't be the 30fps because I don't have this issue with other 30fps games. But I need to use it in 3rd person view because of the queasy feeling I get from first person view.

post #53 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried the first person view several times on the XBOne. I can't use it. Every time I tried I started to feel queasy. WHich means something isn't right. That doesn't happen with a typical first person shooter game for me. I don't have those issues. And it can't be the 30fps because I don't have this issue with other 30fps games. But I need to use it in 3rd person view because of the queasy feeling I get from first person view.
I think it has a bit of a bob, like as you're stepping, you're bobbing up and down. I think there's an option to turn that off, and adjust the wideness of the degree of view, too.

post #54 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post
I think it has a bit of a bob, like as you're stepping, you're bobbing up and down. I think there's an option to turn that off, and adjust the wideness of the degree of view, too.
I'll need to check that out. Thanks.

post #55 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The best part of the first person view is being able to watch hookers do their thing.

I got about an hour of story mode in, just to soak it in, and spent five more hours with a buddy online. It was hilarious! I haven't had that much immature fun in a very long time. We were going on robbing sprees, bullying people, etc. I don't know when I will ever get back to story mode because online is that much fun.
Spanglo likes this.
post #56 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
I'll agree with @HeadRusch , although didn't really notice much slowdowns or judder. I know it's not locked 30fps, but found it smooth enough for me. Did see a bit of texture pop-in at times, but only minor distractions. Thankfully, much less shimmering than the 360 version, which I assume is because it's rendering at 1080.

Also, because this is a port, the same gameplay good/bad from the last version is still there:
  • The first street race isn't easy, but play it early and to win to develop (or re-learn) driving skills.
  • Save system is confusing - it teaches to save the game by going to bed, but doesn't tell about the quick-save on the phone. I believe the phone quick-save is not available in-mission.
  • A lot of control and game-related info thrown at the beginning as the story is unfolding - distracting.
  • Great story, voice acting, three-character lead.
  • Audio defaults to stereo TV speaker setup, but digging in the menus finds multichannel support, along with speaker spacing for accurate sound-field.

First person mode is worth the price of admission!
And they didn't just throw it in - I can tell they spent a lot of time with getting the transitions to and from first-person, when the player needs to be out of first-person for cinematic reasons, car interiors, etc. Carjacking and driving to missions while chatting with someone in the car is a very different experience now.

The first time I jumped in the water and went for a swim... wow! Also, I found driving is more intense and immersive inside the car, but much easier in the third-person. I'm sticking with first-person for most things, but switching to 3rd for the races.

Use of Dual-Shock controller speaker!

Overall, the first-person driving isn't Forza, and the first-person shooting isn't COD -- but this is an open-world game, and both are done amazingly well. Yes, it's the same game as last year, at higher resolution with some nicer textures, but well worth a re-play IMO.
Chairman7w likes this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 11-19-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #57 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well PS4 owners get treated with bonus grass, lol

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...grass-compared
post #58 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

GOOD!

NOT SO GOOD!

-
That's a good assessment of the game. I agree with everything. While the new remastered version looks incredible, it doesn't have that "wow" factor like when you first played GTA 5 on the PS3/360. You definitely need to experience the weather. I used the cheat code to go through all the different types of weather. The puddles that form while it's raining look really incredible.
post #59 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
God I love this game on the PS4 even second time around.

Now if only red dead redemption could get the same treatment!

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #60 of 87 Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Glad I held off on getting this for PS3, going to be nice to play it for the first time with all the shiny new upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page