Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #151 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Not everybody likes driving games.
I do I essentially bought my X1 for Forza5 (and other games, but F5 was the big one). I also got Horizon2 on Day One and own NFS Hot Pursuit. I bought Drive Club on PS4 because it was too beautiful to pass up and they had 2 months of patching that improved it. Still waiting for Gran Turismo. That said, I like all kinds of games and agree that some of these hyped up 1st (and 3rd) party games have been all sizzle, no steak.

I have no interest to play Knack, owned Killzone (twice) before losing interest half way thru (both times), Infamous SS was ok but a lot of teen angst lol, 1886 was meh so now I'm waiting for Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 to "save" my PS4. Hoping for exciting news at E3 as well.

On X1 I've been enjoying the aforementioned racing games, Titanfall and the recently released Ori. I usually play 3rd party games on X1 also, just prefer the controller and the dashboard UI, as well as Xbox Live.

In all, 2014 wasn't the best year in videogames, but there were still hits like Alien Isolation, Far Cry 4, Dragonage Inq and re-released & improved GTAV, Tomb Raider and TLOU. There will be even more new-gen games in 2015, just don't get your hopes or hype up
tampabuc likes this.

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Seriously, these are the games you are throwing out there against his opinion?
well yes, those would be the major exclusives released to date. Anthony was point out titles that are exclusive...what else would you like?

Opinions seem to be what drive peoples "disregard" for the PS4 and it's "lack" of showing. I appreciate that people have at least played some of the times first hand so their opinion carries more weight vs the "i read a review and have based my decision on that" mentality.

Everyone has different tastes. Killzone is spectacular to one person, and forgettable to another. Same with FH2, etc.

The general idea that one system is specifically failing to deliver is a matter of perspective, so I guess we can all call it a wash and continue to game where we find the most enjoyment.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Etc: Epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Video
post #153 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
This thread is painful...

Let me save you the trouble with this form letter...

I (insert name) am so very, very sorry for jumping the gun and giving Sony my money for this totally whack PoS console and kicking all of my friends to the curb after an almost endless debate of nothingness (Knack, KillZone, DriveClub, 1886, etc.) since November 2013. Thankfully, I have only lost (insert time & financial lost) due to hacking and network failures.

I (insert name) have realized the error of my ways and will happily move to gaming on the Xbox One where the overall playability of games and position on leaderboards is the overwhelming topic of debate. Not delays, fraud, and lack of features. Sure, it's lame at times, but it's still fun and we are not going to get a next gen console anytime soon. In other words, I'm happy, content, and gaming has become a fun hobby again.

P.S. I just sold my PS4 for much more than it was worth to the high school kid on (Craigslist/GameStop) just around the corner.

Thank you, and again, sorry for all of this! Game on!

See you sometime in 2016, 3 years after launch, when there is 1 or 2 notable games to play minus any other features or functionality.

- (insert name here)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
But if someone doesn't like racing games at all (such as myself), then it wouldn't be a shining star, would it? I'll admit, I haven't looked into the game, the tech behind, the research that Turn 10 did to make the game awesome. I didn't do any of that because I don't care about racing games, not because it's on the One. So it's hard for me to see a shining star when I just see another racing game I'll never play.

I'd be willing to bet that most people who buy an XBOX One don't do it for Forza Horizon 2.
I'm in the same position; I have no interest whatsoever in racing games.

Even though the PS4 exclusives to date haven't lived up to expectations, I have no regrets about my PS4 purchase. The way I see it is, I knew I was going to buy a new-generation console at some point because I'm not a PC gamer, and I knew it'd be a PS4 instead of the XB1 because of studios like Naughty Dog and Media Molecule. The only real question was when to buy. I decided not to wait because I knew cross-platform games would be better on the new consoles. Right now I'm playing Shadow of Mordor, whose Nemesis system is really intriguing and which I've heard is much less interesting on the PS3. Even if the PS4's price drops in the next year, it won't drop enough to outweigh the pleasure I've gotten from the PS4 already.

Sure, it'd be great if there were a PS4 game that made everyone say "You have GOT to play this." But the absence of one in no way makes me feel like my PS4 purchase was a mistake.
post #155 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I couldn't imagine playing Shadow of Mordor on last gen systems. The absence of the nemesis system would make a big impact on gameplay, and honestly 99% of PS3 and 360 titles perform poorly. I tried to play Witcher 2 on the 360 recently and I just couldn't. Screen tearing like crazy with a frame rate that felt like it was 20fps most of the tune. Yuck.

I recently picked up an XBOX One for the simple sake of owning both consoles (not for racing games, haha). It is nice having both consoles and to be able to pick and choose what you want to play based on controller preference and friends list. I don't regret my purchase at all, nor do I regret my PS4 launch purchase. I think owning both is the way to go.

Can you say off topic?
tampabuc and BDUB619 like this.
post #156 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
This thread is painful...

Let me save you the trouble with this form letter...

I (insert name) am so very, very sorry for jumping the gun and giving Sony my money for this totally whack PoS console and kicking all of my friends to the curb after an almost endless debate of nothingness (Knack, KillZone, DriveClub, 1886, etc.) since November 2013. Thankfully, I have only lost (insert time & financial lost) due to hacking and network failures.

I (insert name) have realized the error of my ways and will happily move to gaming on the Xbox One where the overall playability of games and position on leaderboards is the overwhelming topic of debate. Not delays, fraud, and lack of features. Sure, it's lame at times, but it's still fun and we are not going to get a next gen console anytime soon. In other words, I'm happy, content, and gaming has become a fun hobby again.

P.S. I just sold my PS4 for much more than it was worth to the high school kid on (Craigslist/GameStop) just around the corner.

Thank you, and again, sorry for all of this! Game on!

See you sometime in 2016, 3 years after launch, when there is 1 or 2 notable games to play minus any other features or functionality.

- (insert name here)
"Son, I'm only going to tell you this once... You want to stay working here, lay off the drugs..."

As a fellow Floridian, I'd like to apologize for tampabuc's lack of rational thought or common sense. It's all too common here in the Sunshine State.

Last edited by Big Brad; 03-16-2015 at 05:46 PM.
post #157 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
"Son, I'm only going to tell you this once... You want to stay working here, lay off the drugs..."

At least one vote of confidence for my attempt at Monday evening after work humor, and going off the deep end - thanks man!

Truthfully, I'm as high as a kite right now thanks to the Lightning who are beating the Canadians 3-0. I'll have a playoff seat reserved for you man!
post #158 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

As a fellow Floridian, I'd like to apologize for tampabuc's lack of rational thought or common sense. It's all too common here in the Sunshine State.
Have they banned use of bath salts yet?
tampabuc likes this.
post #159 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I couldn't imagine playing Shadow of Mordor on last gen systems. The absence of the nemesis system would make a big impact on gameplay, and honestly 99% of PS3 and 360 titles perform poorly. I tried to play Witcher 2 on the 360 recently and I just couldn't. Screen tearing like crazy with a frame rate that felt like it was 20fps most of the tune. Yuck.

I recently picked up an XBOX One for the simple sake of owning both consoles (not for racing games, haha). It is nice having both consoles and to be able to pick and choose what you want to play based on controller preference and friends list. I don't regret my purchase at all, nor do I regret my PS4 launch purchase. I think owning both is the way to go.

Can you say off topic?
You sick, no morale, two timing dirty little (what are Xbox owners called? Xbots??) XBOT! How dare you bring your words of tolerance and use of common sense into this hallowed place. We can no longer be PSN friends! I spit on you and your Xbox.

( ps: what's your live ID? I'll add you there too)

@tampabuc - sadly I think Anaheim or Minnesota will win the cup...GO CANUCKS!
tampabuc likes this.

YouTube Gameplay Video
post #160 of 409 Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
You sick, no morale, two timing dirty little (what are Xbox owners called? Xbots??) XBOT! How dare you bring your words of tolerance and use of common sense into this hallowed place. We can no longer be PSN friends! I spit on you and your Xbox.

( ps: what's your live ID? I'll add you there too)

@tampabuc - sadly I think Anaheim or Minnesota will win the cup...GO CANUCKS!
BiffCo. Same as my PSN ID. I just sent you a Live friend request.
post #161 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Hey mods who are asleep at the switch, how long are you guys going to let this clown in here and trash our threads?

Honestly, it's getting ridiculous.
rolltide1017 likes this.
post #162 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Yep, some of us were asked to leave the Xbox forums for much less, Just using Xbone was enough to get you banned from there.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #163 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Were just easier going in these parts?
post #164 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I don't think people should be questioning their PS4 ownership over any of this...

Only if you happen to also have a high-end gaming PC. Those with high-end gaming PC's could be playing the Shadow of Mordor's and Call of Duty's and Battlefield Hardlines there. No need for a PS4. However, if you don't have a high-end gaming PC, then a PS4 makes a TON of sense. Almost all the multiplats look a little better, and some run a little better, so might as well play them on the PS4 right ?

Also, even if you do have a high-end gaming PC, not all games come to PC like Madden 15 for example. I don't think Madden 15 is out on PC. So if you were really into that, you'd need a console of one type or another. Might as well get the one where the game looks slightly better and might run a wee bit smoother.

I just got frustrated and then went on a tirade. I know I overreacted... it happens.
Abaddon likes this.
post #165 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
I don't think people should be questioning their PS4 ownership over any of this...

Only if you happen to also have a high-end gaming PC. Those with high-end gaming PC's could be playing the Shadow of Mordor's and Call of Duty's and Battlefield Hardlines there. No need for a PS4. However, if you don't have a high-end gaming PC, then a PS4 makes a TON of sense. Almost all the multiplats look a little better, and some run a little better, so might as well play them on the PS4 right ?

Also, even if you do have a high-end gaming PC, not all games come to PC like Madden 15 for example. I don't think Madden 15 is out on PC. So if you were really into that, you'd need a console of one type or another. Might as well get the one where the game looks slightly better and might run a wee bit smoother.

I just got frustrated and then went on a tirade. I know I overreacted... it happens.
Were here to correct you! I kid but your not totally overreacting. There are things that need to be better and need to be called out but a game delay isn't a bad thing. Hell these days its actually a good thing given all the broken launches.
post #166 of 409 Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:

See, I don't think it's that clear cut anymore, I think there's only a limited base where the PS4 is the obvious choice. They have to consider the PC such kryptonite that it's not even on their radar, they've got to be comfortable with locking in their purchases to one platform, they have to be willing to accept the weak non-gaming functionality and accessory support....and to be comfortable paying a premium for everything despite the lock-in and limitations. Taking a step back that has more than a little similarity to the choice between PC and Mac....but macs def aren't for everyone, and neither is the PS4. Pre-launch I was firmly waving the Sony flag but they've done just about everything they could to squander it's promise.

The thing that really strikes me is that if we were making a list of pros and cons for each platform, the "other console which shall not be named" has been consistently adding to the pros list and scratching off the cons list - and the PS4 list has barely changed at all. I honestly can't think of a single solid change to the equation since launch. For sure the PS4 has had a hell of a lot more pros and less cons to start, but it's been so stagnant that I have some serious doubts about it's future. I'm personally pretty much full on PC at this point, my PS4 has been collecting dust and the uncharted delay was the final straw, it's officially boxed up and ready to sell. I still get plenty of people asking me which one to buy. I used to recommend the PS4...but not anymore. I don't think it's a bad platform per se, but it's getting really, really hard to recommend to people who havent already bought in.
newfmp3 and BDUB619 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #167 of 409 Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 360
In what world is starting off horribly and improving your state of affairs better than just starting off better to begin with? Yeah, I'd like to see software updates all the time too, but what meaningful feature does one console have over the other? Monthly updates for 18 months and the Xbone still doesn't stand over the PS4 (PS4 doesn't stand over it either). At the Xbones core, it's still flawed. The ROR on these updates is going to diminish, as MS had large gains to make and don't now. To see my friends list it's still an "app" that has to load with a splash screen and a delay. the only major thing that Sony's done wrong is no IR integration. Some people are too caught up with what could happen that they forget to see what is happening. Win10 integration will amount to desktop streaming and what is effectively smart glass, nothing more. Those same people that champion such innovation will forget the Sony is already doing this and that in a grand sense it doesn't amount to much.
post #168 of 409 Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
In what world is starting off horribly and improving your state of affairs better than just starting off better to begin with? Yeah, I'd like to see software updates all the time too, but what meaningful feature does one console have over the other? Monthly updates for 18 months and the Xbone still doesn't stand over the PS4 (PS4 doesn't stand over it either). At the Xbones core, it's still flawed. The ROR on these updates is going to diminish, as MS had large gains to make and don't now. To see my friends list it's still an "app" that has to load with a splash screen and a delay. the only major thing that Sony's done wrong is no IR integration. Some people are too caught up with what could happen that they forget to see what is happening. Win10 integration will amount to desktop streaming and what is effectively smart glass, nothing more. Those same people that champion such innovation will forget the Sony is already doing this and that in a grand sense it doesn't amount to much.
I think you're selling the Win 10 upgrade way too short, but besides that I can rattle off a list much longer than IR support. But in what world is rapid improvement better than a good start? In the kind of world where you buy a piece of hardware thats expected to last 5+ years. What I saw at launch was one system with overpriced hardware, ridiculous policies and considerably worse graphics, and another system that was missing a lot of basic functionality but did so little wrong compared to it's competitor that it was an obvious choice. Now I see two systems with prices commensurate to their power and pretty much the same policies. But one is rapidly improving and expanding it's platform to encompass far more than a console, while the other is basically the same as it was at launch and there's no reason to believe that'll ever change. I bought it thinking it would at least make a decent media device and have a few amazing exclusives, but without remote support (and not a peep about plans for it) and a controller that can barely last a night, and only a few mediocre exclusives, it's felt like a total waste of money. Had I known then what I know now, I'd never have sunk any money into digital games that I'll never be able to play again. I'd have just sucked it up, dealt with the initial nonsense on the xbox side at least knowing I wasnt buying into a dead end.

post #169 of 409 Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@bd2003 - zero baiting, but what are the features? I've kept not as good pace w/x1 but I know they added external hdd support, improved party chat (?), obviously more apps. Did the add DLNA yet?

YouTube Gameplay Video
post #170 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
@bd2003 - zero baiting, but what are the features? I've kept not as good pace w/x1 but I know they added external hdd support, improved party chat (?), obviously more apps. Did the add DLNA yet?

Yeah, DLNA was added months ago. It's mostly a ton of little things that add up, there's an epic list online that's not hard to find. Meanwhile Sony still hasn't gotten basic stuff like the suspend/resume stuff working yet.

post #171 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, DLNA was added months ago. It's mostly a ton of little things that add up, there's an epic list online that's not hard to find. Meanwhile Sony still hasn't gotten basic stuff like the suspend/resume stuff working yet.
That's a little troll-like in tone.

To be clear, the "DLNA support" is crippled with a very poor codec support. USB playback is the same. Sure they checked the box, but that doesn't make it meaningful or what the average consumer even needs. It includes mkv support, which is fantastic, until you realize that your mkv cannot contain even DTS (let alone HD audio tracks), plus a myriad of other limitations within the container. Point being, that even with the "support" it is a very poor media player. To be fair, I won't expect Sony to do any better in this regard either.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-8700k, RTX 2080Ti, DDR4-3200 Ram
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon S940, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #172 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you're selling the Win 10 upgrade way too short, but besides that I can rattle off a list much longer than IR support. But in what world is rapid improvement better than a good start? In the kind of world where you buy a piece of hardware thats expected to last 5+ years. What I saw at launch was one system with overpriced hardware, ridiculous policies and considerably worse graphics, and another system that was missing a lot of basic functionality but did so little wrong compared to it's competitor that it was an obvious choice. Now I see two systems with prices commensurate to their power and pretty much the same policies. But one is rapidly improving and expanding it's platform to encompass far more than a console, while the other is basically the same as it was at launch and there's no reason to believe that'll ever change. I bought it thinking it would at least make a decent media device and have a few amazing exclusives, but without remote support (and not a peep about plans for it) and a controller that can barely last a night, and only a few mediocre exclusives, it's felt like a total waste of money. Had I known then what I know now, I'd never have sunk any money into digital games that I'll never be able to play again. I'd have just sucked it up, dealt with the initial nonsense on the xbox side at least knowing I wasnt buying into a dead end.
I'm not selling the Win10 upgrade short, as a whole, I'm just stating what we know that it means for the Xbox One at this point. Do you have an Xbox One? Are you sinking money into it? You planning to play Hardline on it?

You're an outlier because your PC-vested. A PS4 isn't a "deadend" waste for me, and countless others, because it's where I will play Hardline, Madden, or whatever. For you, sure it's a "deadend", but then again, so is the Xbox One.

My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Pimax, Playstation VR, Rift-S, and Quest
Theater = Epson 5040UB, Denon S940, Klipsh RF 7.2, 4-FiCar 18" IB, HTMarket Pembrokes, Aura BassShaker
post #173 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
That's a little troll-like in tone.

To be clear, the "DLNA support" is crippled with a very poor codec support. USB playback is the same. Sure they checked the box, but that doesn't make it meaningful or what the average consumer even needs. It includes mkv support, which is fantastic, until you realize that your mkv cannot contain even DTS (let alone HD audio tracks), plus a myriad of other limitations within the container. Point being, that even with the "support" it is a very poor media player. To be fair, I won't expect Sony to do any better in this regard either.

I'm deliberately trying to be non-trollish because I know how testy people can get about the platform comparisons. I don't personally use DLNA, but if you say it's half assed I believe you...but something is better than nothing. There's like a half dozens ways to get video streamed to the xbox right now, I've no idea what particular limitations each one has. But what I do know is that there's practically no way to do it on PS4, nevermind the fact that they can't build all the support in the world and it's still pointless without remote support.

post #174 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm deliberately trying to be non-trollish because I know how testy people can get about the platform comparisons. I don't personally use DLNA, but if you say it's half assed I believe you...but something is better than nothing. There's like a half dozens ways to get video streamed to the xbox right now, I've no idea what particular limitations each one has. But what I do know is that there's practically no way to do it on PS4, nevermind the fact that they can't build all the support in the world and it's still pointless without remote support.
I disagree that something is better than nothing. It's misrepresentation that leads to someone being very disappointed, usually a person on a budget. Reading a tickmark somewhere that says "DLNA" but then realizing that you still can't play your content because the codec support is circa 2006, is effectively the same as not having the DLNA tickmark since you still can't play your stuff.

I personally, at my age and point in life where it isn't of value to me, but if I were in highschool I would think Sony has pretty good bullet points with the shareplay, remoteplay, export directly to youtube and facebook options. So even though it's only been 1 major system update (with the 2nd dropping soon), Sony is still pretty far ahead of MS with the social features relative to gaming.

Regardless of how anyone values any one feature-set, it's a stretch to suggest that one is a "deadend" and the other isn't, simply because of update frequency. Sony caught a lot of flak for having frequent updates in the past. Had firmware 2.0 and 2.5 been broken up into smaller more frequent updates, the system would still be where it is today. What's the difference? Nothing, it's just perception. You can't hold, touch, or play perception.

Last edited by scubasteve2365; 03-19-2015 at 06:57 AM.
post #175 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ironically (this thread is derailed) I found the DLNA feature while dinky around in settings. Steve is correct as all my mov files errored out, and I guess the audio codec is the problem. Both consoles offer pled app, but you require plex pass, so that is an "option". I am finding things that X1 does that feels limiting compared to PS4 (shorter game dvr), must upload everything to Xbox live, needing gold to upload even to OneDrive (haven't been able to confirm if PS+ is required), confusing app swapping, etc. don't take that as meaning lacking, just personally frustrating.

Be interesting to see opinions from this group once both consoles are media streamers/players

YouTube Gameplay Video
post #176 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not selling the Win10 upgrade short, as a whole, I'm just stating what we know that it means for the Xbox One at this point. Do you have an Xbox One? Are you sinking money into it? You planning to play Hardline on it?
I don't think most of the stuff they showed or said at GDC has filtered down to the gaming media. Or at least I think there's a sense that there's a catch to everything, so when they say "open universal app platform" people don't believe it at face value. But that's what they're doing. So even if current DLNA or whatever support is iffy, it's easy to shrug it off because anyone (yes, anyone) can just create an app that does it better.

Quote:
You're an outlier because your PC-vested. A PS4 isn't a "deadend" waste for me, and countless others, because it's where I will play Hardline, Madden, or whatever. For you, sure it's a "deadend", but then again, so is the Xbox One.

But no, I don't own an Xbox one. The hardware is still too weak and it's still too limited. I've bought and returned it multiple times. But I'd have done the same with the PS4....you see, I have a cod addiction and years ago I foolishly cashed in a few hundred bucks of rewards points for PSN bucks. And then promptly redeemed them, locking in years of PS plus and $100+ in the PSN wallet, because I was so sure the PS4 would be the best platform forever.

But in 2013 I started getting tired of my mac and sick of waiting for next gen, so I sold all that and bought a gaming PC. And I was surprised how much better and easier it was compared to back in the day, and started getting back into it. I still bought both consoles on launch, realized both were useless to me but kept the ps4 around because I had all those psn bucks. Anyway...the point is that I've swapped platforms so many times that I'm wary of buying anything digital on a closed platform bound to a single piece of hardware, because regardless of how strongly I feel today, I don't know what I'll want tomorrow. Right now what microsoft is doing is appealing to me because it gives me some flexibility down the road. Maybe today I want a PC, maybe tomorrow I'll want an Xbox 2, maybe I'll buy a MacBook and triple boot OSX, win10 and steamOS. Maybe in 10 years I'll have a smartphone dual booting windows and android that's more powerful than my current PC. Whatever it is, if it can run windows, it can run those games. That's what I mean by a dead end...who knows what happens with ps4 games. Maybe there's a ps5, maybe it's a POS, maybe there's BC, maybe you have to buy a remaster, maybe PS plus costs $200 a year....it's whatever Sony wants to bestow upon us, like it or not. And I'm no longer comfortable giving them that much power when the alternatives are more flexible.

post #177 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 639
This is really a great Uncharted 4 thread. Sheesh.
moepoker likes this.
post #178 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
This is really a great Uncharted 4 thread. Sheesh.

Hey, stay on topic on now. Let's not change the topic.
Mikazaru likes this.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #179 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
But what I do know is that there's practically no way to do it on PS4...
Back off topic... PS4 has the Plex App. If you don't want to pay for the Plex Pass subscription, you can use Plex for free through the PS4's web browser.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18...without-dlna/2

Last edited by Mikazaru; 03-19-2015 at 09:58 AM.
post #180 of 409 Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
Back on topic... PS4 has the Plex App. If you don't want to pay for the subscription, you can use Plex for free through the PS4's web browser.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18...without-dlna/2

Indeed. Hadn't realized ps4 finally got plex. It kinda demonstrates what I'm talking about though. Ps4 got plex and hbo months after Xbox. And the Xbox App Store is still a closed platform right now, and from what I've heard it costs near $100K to put an Xbox app out there. Likely similar for Sony apps. When the next big app comes around and porting a windows app to the xbox is a checkbox in visual studio, it's going to cost virtually nothing and 90% of the work is already done. PS4 is always going to lag behind compared to that and won't be able to cover every niche. Right now I'm really liking songza for my music. They already have a good windows app, it's going to be so easy to port it's impossible to imagine they won't. They have devs on record saying they ported between windows and xbox in a day. Who knows when if ever that'll come to PS4. There's also a good windows app for my hue lightbulbs (huetro), another easy port. I could quickly snap it and dim my lights through my Xbox without having to reach for my phone, or with cortana integration through voice with kinect (god forbid). Or they could even sync up with a game and light up my room every time there's an explosion, etc. It took Sony months just to build in a function to dim the light on your controller...so much more is possible when devs can run free. I'd love to see Sony open up too, but that's such a massive undertaking and without a PC and mobile platform to synergize with, I don't see it happening.

Last edited by bd2003; 03-19-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page