Star Wars: Battlefront - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 309Likes

post #421 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There are more than 4 maps -- you just have to choose a different multiplayer mode. There are multiple modes - each has it's own set of maps - obviously some overlap in maps.
Both Supremecy and Walker whatever it is only have 4 maps. From what I heard, there's four planets with modes being in different parts. Fuzzy math says 12 maps but I'd wager they took the 40 person maps and sectioned them off into pieces. So yes, only 4 maps.

All that aside, I'm not sure how I feel about this game. It is incredibly shallow but it is a lot of fun. Because there are only 4 areas I can see the scenery getting old quick. The 40 man maps are gargantuan and could really stand some sort of team spawn beacon. Two man teams are nearly useless for spawning. Buddy in a vehicle? Have fun walking. Buddy dead? Wear out your tread. Buddy staring at daisies? Ugh...

I can definitely see the DLC being this games lifeblood. In Battlefield the DLC always felt secondary but with this game developed as it is, the DLC will definitely drive it's future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Two man teams are nearly useless for spawning. Buddy in a vehicle? Have fun walking. Buddy dead? Wear out your tread. Buddy staring at daisies? Ugh....

That's what happens when you partner up with MPH. He bosses you around and his spawns suck.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #423 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Only got to play for about 20 minutes late night, but overall I had a lot of fun. I wish the game did have a single player campaign, but I knew going in that in. I, in a moment of weakness, splurged on the Season Pass, so I'm glad I will have a few more maps coming. One thing I have to say is that the sound on this game is incredible, possibly the best I've ever heard on a video game. My subs were shaking the house last night when there were nearby explosions.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
That's what happens when you partner up with MPH. He bosses you around and his spawns suck.
I know....oh I know that so well
post #425 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
2-man teams? Ugh. LOL, I couldn’t imagine playing any large scale maps that way. If you’ve ever played Rush in BF3 or BF4 solo you know what I’m talking about. Do not want to walk for days.
post #426 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Both Supremecy and Walker whatever it is only have 4 maps. From what I heard, there's four planets with modes being in different parts. Fuzzy math says 12 maps but I'd wager they took the 40 person maps and sectioned them off into pieces. So yes, only 4 maps.

I just don't agree.

Droid run has unique maps
Survivor mode has unique maps
Fighter squadron is different maps.

I feel I have played in significantly more than four maps. (even discounting the day/night thing, and the fact that there seems like there are Hoth planet maps that seem similar.)

again - try some of the different modes
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/batt...res/game-modes

With the multiplayer you have to scroll down to see more modes. At first I thought there were only three modes cause that's all you see on PC without scrolling down. I can see how it would get redundant if you don't enter a different mode - but after playing the game about 6 hours I don't feel the maps are redundant or limited to four maps at all.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #427 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 799
what are the best guns/cards to unlock? don't want to waste credits unlocking things i wont use..
slyderulz likes this.
post #428 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
I enjoyed it alot in the 90 minutes I played last night. I think early reviews have been unnecessarily harsh. Anyone that didn't expect this to play like the original SW:BF or even a battlefield game were just kidding themselves. I looks incredible and the gameplay feels tight to me...a huge improvement over the last few Battlefield launches.

I tried joining chat several times with Lazy, WaffleKRusher, Harp, mph & Dash but that party was full from the get go as usual. It would be nice if PS either increased the limit or added a queue so that when one of the 8 drop you are automatically added to the group chat. Shmoop invited me later but by then I had to log off & attend to family matters.

I'll be playing this whenever I get time though. Probably some late night sessions starting this weekend since I'll be off work next week.

I don't quite get how the Hero spawns work, I stumbled upon one right after I spawned & became Han Solo. It's pretty cool though, I like the flying too but the maps are a bit small it seems for the X-wing, the A-wing & tie-figther fare muh better.
I completely agree. I don't know why people were expecting something different. This is basically a Battlefield game in a Star Wars skin. That's not a bad thing at all. I had a blast playing last night. I really enjoyed the beta, so I have been looking forward to this release.

The hero/villain spawns are just random (I think anyway) on the maps. Once you find one, you play as either a hero or villain, depending on which side you are on. Once you are killed, you go back to your regular character. They will re spawn again on the map.
post #429 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
I completely agree. I don't know why people were expecting something different. This is basically a Battlefield game in a Star Wars skin. That's not a bad thing at all. I had a blast playing last night. I really enjoyed the beta, so I have been looking forward to this release.

The hero/villain spawns are just random (I think anyway) on the maps. Once you find one, you play as either a hero or villain, depending on which side you are on. Once you are killed, you go back to your regular character. They will re spawn again on the map.
Ah, so it's basically just a randomly spawning power-up/power weapon? I wasn't sure if the spawns worked that way or if was like a reward/drop for a killstreak (ala COD, God forbid).

On the topic of heroes how to you keep from getting sliced/diced by a skywalker/vader that's charging you? It obviously takes alot of hits to wear a hero down, the only thing I found was shoot from a distance if you're fortunately enough to spot one before they are on top of you and wear them down from there.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #430 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I just don't agree.

Droid run has unique maps
Survivor mode has unique maps
Fighter squadron is different maps.

I feel I have played in significantly more than four maps. (even discounting the day/night thing, and the fact that there seems like there are Hoth planet maps that seem similar.)

again - try some of the different modes
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/batt...res/game-modes

With the multiplayer you have to scroll down to see more modes. At first I thought there were only three modes cause that's all you see on PC without scrolling down. I can see how it would get redundant if you don't enter a different mode - but after playing the game about 6 hours I don't feel the maps are redundant or limited to four maps at all.
I will definitely admit to only playing a few modes but Dice typically carves up the large maps for TDM in Battlefield and the Blast map I played on was a Tie fighter hanger on the volcano world very similar to the Tie fighter hanger on the volcano world in Walker Assault
post #431 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 970
First off I love the game. My only real complaint is the amount of maps. They say 12 maps but only if you play all the modes which I don't. That's because I hate TDM and hero hunt sucked. I also prefer the larger scale games so that leaves 2-3 modes. Give me 7/9 large scale maps and then the other modes can use smaller sections of those and add some unique ones for them as well. I don't care about single player missions as I bought this for multi only. They worded 12 maps but it's really 4 planets with 3 variations of each. Planets are large and they could of used more of them.

some deathstar maps would of been cool. I know I know it vanished but still kind of cool.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #432 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Ah, so it's basically just a randomly spawning power-up/power weapon? I wasn't sure if the spawns worked that way or if was like a reward/drop for a killstreak (ala COD, God forbid).

On the topic of heroes how to you keep from getting sliced/diced by a skywalker/vader that's charging you? It obviously takes alot of hits to wear a hero down, the only thing I found was shoot from a distance if you're fortunately enough to spot one before they are on top of you and wear them down from there.
Yep, it's just a random power up. It spawns just like the weapon power ups or vehicle spawns.

I've found the best option is to shoot from a distance. Playing the beta, I would use the jet pack to escape when skywalker would charge. The jet pack doesn't work well against Vader since he has the choke move and can grab you in the air. If you have the shield power up, you can use that. When I find one of those, I won't use it until I'm being attacked by a hero/villain. When you find a power up and don't use it, you will still have it if you are killed.
post #433 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
what are the best guns/cards to unlock? don't want to waste credits unlocking things i wont use..
I don't know about the best since I'm only level 10, but the RT-97C has been an awesome weapon and the Ion Torpedo is great for taking out AT-STs, turrets, and damaging AT-ATs.
post #434 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Throw a nade and shoot some lasers at them and hope your allies are doing the same. I think it will be easier to diminish their health as we get better powerups.
post #435 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
First off I love the game. My only real complaint is the amount of maps. They say 12 maps but only if you play all the modes which I don't. That's because I hate TDM and hero hunt sucked. I also prefer the larger scale games so that leaves 2-3 modes. Give me 7/9 large scale maps and then the other modes can use smaller sections of those and add some unique ones for them as well. I don't care about single player missions as I bought this for multi only. They worded 12 maps but it's really 4 planets with 3 variations of each. Planets are large and they could of used more of them.

some deathstar maps would of been cool. I know I know it vanished but still kind of cool.
Hum, I'm tempted. Sounds like this game could get old after awhile? I'm with you I like the large scale maps, and being a long time Battlefield player, I Need more feed back from you BF4 Vets from the BF4 thread. Heck I even bought Hardline, and while I found that to be great game, even the game play to be a step up from BF4, but the lack of armor and air vehicles makes the game a little stale after a while, adding game modes with a star wars theme can only go so far. I'll wait to see if any deals come up over the next few weeks.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #436 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post
Hum, I'm tempted. Sounds like this game could get old after awhile? I'm with you I like the large scale maps, and being a long time Battlefield player, I Need more feed back from you BF4 Vets from the BF4 thread. Heck I even bought Hardline, and while I found that to be great game, even the game play to be a step up from BF4, but the lack of armor and air vehicles makes the game a little stale after a while, adding game modes with a star wars theme can only go so far. I'll wait to see if any deals come up over the next few weeks.
It's worth it. The game is very shallow, granted, but it's got plenty to offer. No regrets on day one digital. This will last longer than Hardline did. Hardline simply wasn't different enough from what we already had. Sticking the Battlefield name on it was the worst decision they made. Would have been fine as just Hardline. Probably would have had a longer life too.

I'd also revise my prior statement. The game may have 12 maps but it's got 4 environments. You have snow, jungle, desert, and volcano. All the maps are some variation on that. So a desert map likely has sand, a sandcrawler, and those thieving little basturds. Snow has rebel air power in hangers, volcano imperial air in hangers, and jungle has trees. Basically the movie stuff brought into the game with zero originality. Which there's nothing wrong with, it's the safest option from both license holder and nerd fanbase perspectives. I just think the scenery will get boring fast and can see needing more periodic breaks from this than say COD or Battlefield that do have a dozenish unique maps.

I tried trash bot capture at lunch. Was pretty fun for a round. Don't care what anyone says, the boxy Droid with a lid on his face looks like a movie theatre trashcan and the round jobbers look like the ones with the foot pedal operated lids.
post #437 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
pros
-they captured the star wars "feel" incredibly well
- fights feel epic and there is always something you can do to help
- maps are open enough to flank and attack from different points
-decent amount of game modes

cons
- incomplete game for 60 dollars, obviously they are pushing the season pass hard, because the maps will get old
- unlock system makes it kind of rough when you are starting out, since other people have much better gear, etc..
- the partner thing kind of sucks needs to go back to 4 man squads
- little things that should be included in a game like this (like joining you up with your party and not have to disconnect from the game if you get placed on opposite team)

reasons to buy the game
- buy it on disc like i did, if in two months you are bored trade in in and you only payed 30 dollars for it
-right now there are really no other games like it, it is a different experience
- can you put a price tag on joining a game, getting put on the opposite team, killing MPH multiple times and hear him complain about it loudly over party chat. no you can't there is not price on the satisfaction you feel when you kill him. that alone is worth the cost of the game
post #438 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Heck I even bought Hardline, and while I found that to be great game, even the game play to be a step up from BF4,
Many of us felt hardline was a downgrade from BF4 in every way. No surprise the game flat-lined so soon.

Battlefront looks and sounds very nice, definite upgrade. Gameplay was fun. It's no hardline.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #439 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Did you know that you can choose the map you start on by pressing "Square" instead of "X" on the game mode selection screen? I just realize that today.

I'm also getting tired of always being an Imperial on Endor, haven't been a rebel once on any variations of the Endor maps. I just have a hard time seeing the rebels on Endor. I wish the teams switched sides once on each map before rotating to the next one.

I also think there matchmaking needs some work. I've been on some very one side matches on the smaller modes, including Fighter Squadron. I've had some matches end where everyone on the losing team had less then 10 kills while everyone on the winning team had 15 or more kills. Feels like the match making isn't spreading the good players out very well.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #440 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So a desert map likely has sand
You're going to love the new map area coming in December... another desert planet, Jakku, from The Force Awakens.

post #441 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
You're going to love the new map area coming in December... another desert planet, Jakku, from The Force Awakens.
As long as it doesn't feature a sandcrawler Palm trees woukd be nice. That reminds me, need to find the Sarlac thingamajobber.
post #442 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
That reminds me, need to find the Sarlac thingamajobber.
Follow Boba, he usually knows the way.
Epyon415 likes this.
post #443 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 167
@rolltide1017 - noticed you were playing Fighter Squadron so sent you a party invite earlier today so you could join a few of us. Not sure if you received it.
post #444 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw it when I was shutting down my PS4. I don't know why I never notice them while playing, need to check my notification settings I guess. I'll be back on later this evening.

post #445 of 824 Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Battlefront looks and sounds very nice, definite upgrade. Gameplay was fun. It's no hardline.

Endor and Sullust are just amazing to me graphically. I just can't get over how nice it is to have
1) smooth 60fps
2) amazing maps that are NOT mostly obscured by lense flair, glint, particles, and blue filter

Adding to the MP, the individual missions, which do include couch co-op I think bring the vanilla game just in by a thin hair of being worth retail.

edit* added "NOT"
Spanglo likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo

Last edited by Cravit8; 11-18-2015 at 06:22 PM.
post #446 of 824 Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
pros
-they captured the star wars "feel" incredibly well
- fights feel epic and there is always something you can do to help
- maps are open enough to flank and attack from different points
-decent amount of game modes

cons
- incomplete game for 60 dollars, obviously they are pushing the season pass hard, because the maps will get old
- unlock system makes it kind of rough when you are starting out, since other people have much better gear, etc..
- the partner thing kind of sucks needs to go back to 4 man squads
- little things that should be included in a game like this (like joining you up with your party and not have to disconnect from the game if you get placed on opposite team)

reasons to buy the game
- buy it on disc like i did, if in two months you are bored trade in in and you only payed 30 dollars for it
-right now there are really no other games like it, it is a different experience
- can you put a price tag on joining a game, getting put on the opposite team, killing MPH multiple times and hear him complain about it loudly over party chat. no you can't there is not price on the satisfaction you feel when you kill him. that alone is worth the cost of the game
thanks for the review, I'm use to buying incomplete games, ha, and I'm sure I'll pick this up on the next week or two.

One questions, what do you mean by partner, are you only able to squad up in pairs? is there in game chat to allow you to work with other pairs? Or is game chat the best option?

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #447 of 824 Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was hoping to jump on a for a bit last night, but even after telling the wife I was planning on it way earlier in the day yesterday, game time turned into a big fight even though I haven't even touched the PS4 all friggin' summer!

It may come down to gaming or the wife.

I'm thinkin'...

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #448 of 824 Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping to jump on a for a bit last night, but even after telling the wife I was planning on it way earlier in the day yesterday, game time turned into a big fight even though I haven't even touched the PS4 all friggin' summer!

It may come down to gaming or the wife.

I'm thinkin'...

Today on Maury we discuss the men lost to gaming and the spouses left in the aftermath!

It's not the gaming she hates it's the feeling left out while your off having fun. You have to give her some attention in order to play something. Good luck! Took a good few years for my wife and I (in other words me) to iron that part out.
post #449 of 824 Old 11-19-2015, 07:47 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So is Gamestop running a Black Friday deal on Battlefront or not I cant see any Black Friday ads at work.

This space for rent!
post #450 of 824 Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Today on Maury we discuss the men lost to gaming and the spouses left in the aftermath!

It's not the gaming she hates it's the feeling left out while your off having fun. You have to give her some attention in order to play something. Good luck! Took a good few years for my wife and I (in other words me) to iron that part out.
That's the problem Nex, her happiness day-in, day-out is centered around me (obviously ).

and the biggest problem with giving her attention to play something later is we've both been working long hours lately, so to do both it's 10/11 at night before I can game and I'm up @ 6. I've stayed away from gaming all summer to spend outdoor time with the family and it's night 2 of a new game and she's already all over my ass about it. Says I played it for 3 hours the other night, My logged game time in the companion app is 1:31

She needs to get off the couch and go do something on her own...and no, right now I really don't care what that is...take her someone PLEASE!!!
Cravit8 likes this.

Thats what I do.

Last edited by slyderulz; 11-19-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page