New God of War announced for PS4 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
Hmmm sorry I haven't tried to do that in a while. If I remember correct, in the past it would work long as game playing wasn't using up the network.
Try experimenting: start the download, hop on Uncharted, and check on the download after like 10 minutes.

Side Note: I don't know what it came with (game or pre-order stuff) but got concept art and digital comics that wanted to download at the same time as the game update. If you're a bit strapped on download throughput (which being on phone internet, I'd assume yes) watch for these and pause them. They were like a couple gigs each and I certainly didn't want them slowing down the actual game download.

Edit: Wanted to add as if I remember right you're involved in the bass in movies thread. This game has some seriously thunderous bass. First boss fight had sub really thumping. Way beyond anything I remember in a game like World of Tanks.
Great tip about pausing those non game extras. Thanks! That should be a massive help with my slow speed.

Great to hear there is a nice low end to this game!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 4057
Day 1 patch is a 1.172 GB download - estimated time for me is ~6 minutes, and I usually have spotty connection to PSN.

EDIT: now it's on "Update File, 6.157 GB" estimate ~28 minutes to install. Is this the download unpacked?

Last edited by DaverJ; 04-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #33 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Day 1 patch is a 1.172 GB download - estimated time for me is ~6 minutes, and I usually have spotty connection toy PSN.

EDIT: now it's on "Update File, 6.157 GB" estimate ~28 minutes to install. Is this the download unpacked?
As JNayAV mentions above though the 1.172 is the only game patch though correct? The 6.1 patch it sounds like isn't needed to play the game, or is it? I'm screwed on getting to play tonight if we need both patches as my hotspot will literally take most the weekend to download over 7 gbs, lol. I'll have to drag the PS4 over to the GFs tom if that's the case and start the game Sun or after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
As JNayAV mentions above though the 1.172 is the only game patch though correct? The 6.1 patch it sounds like isn't needed to play the game, or is it? I'm screwed on getting to play tonight if we need both patches as my hotspot will literally take most the weekend to download over 7 gbs, lol. I'll have to drag the PS4 over to the GFs tom if that's the case and start the game Sun or after.
I think the 6.1 GB is the install to patch the game to version 1.10, which takes about a half hour. The 1.172 GB is the download before the install.
Toe likes this.
post #35 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The 1.10 Game update was a ~1.1GB download. That was all I had to download prior to begin playing. I did have a system update prior as I got the Pro/God of War bundle. But the 1.1GB was only download for the actual game.
(If don't want to deal with it, game gives option to just play without downloading the update. I don't know what was in the day 1 patch but could be option depending on patch notes.)

Not sure what the ~6.1GB update you have could be If can click on that ~6.1GB notification and see if it's actually all those Comic/Art files lumped together or something.
Once update downloaded, for me it was basically instant to hop on.

Edit: Searching online is showing that download is 7.4GB so wth was my download
Looks like there are separate ~1.1 and ~6.2 GB downloads, but people are able to play after the 1.1 and other can happen in the background.
Guess that's why I didn't notice it?
Toe likes this.

Last edited by JNayAV; 04-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
post #36 of 72 Old 04-20-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Game just got a ver 1.11 update, fixing some aspect ratio issues on some TVs.

And WOW, this game is the hype. Quite a stunner all around: graphics, sound, HDR, and best of all, gameplay and story. Not since Horizon: Zero Dawn have I been this impressed with a title. Definitely a must-own game.

Too bad my Pro sounds like a jet fan* while playing it, so it must be pushing the silicone hard. I started in favor Resolution Mode, and its a knockout. But once I tried favor Performance, I knew I couldn’t go back. And there’s some sort of magic AA going on, because even though Performance Mode is rendering at 1080p, I see zero jaggies or shimmering!

Everyone needs to be playing this game.

*Hopefully at E3 Sony will announce a Pro redesign with improved (read: silent) cooling.
Toe and tanis38 like this.
post #37 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I just picked this up today and can't wait to play it, but it's Friday and I really didn't want to have to think or exert effort after a long week of work, so I preferred to have my entertainment spoon fed to me in the form of a movie. The game will have to wait until tomorrow but I"m super stoked!

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #38 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Toe

Tried to play last night but since I'm a cheap ass and don't have internet, it was a no go. The 1.1 patch was going to take no less than 7 hours to download with my hotspot (lol). I need the 5.53 system update as well so I'll just drag the PS4 over to someone's house today who has internet and doesn't live in the stone age like myself.

Glad to hear the game rocks though!
post #39 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This game is great so far - I'd definitely recommend playing on a harder setting as it makes it much more enjoyable! God of War - more like Son of War!!
post #40 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Game just got a ver 1.11 update, fixing some aspect ratio issues on some TVs.

And WOW, this game is the hype. Quite a stunner all around: graphics, sound, HDR, and best of all, gameplay and story. Not since Horizon: Zero Dawn have I been this impressed with a title. Definitely a must-own game.

Too bad my Pro sounds like a jet fan* while playing it, so it must be pushing the silicone hard. I started in favor Resolution Mode, and its a knockout. But once I tried favor Performance, I knew I couldn’t go back. And there’s some sort of magic AA going on, because even though Performance Mode is rendering at 1080p, I see zero jaggies or shimmering!

Everyone needs to be playing this game.

*Hopefully at E3 Sony will announce a Pro redesign with improved (read: silent) cooling.

yeah I noticed this too playing my fans are very audible and I have a pro also, I have to try performance mode next, but awesome game, story grabs you in the first 5 mins, amazing.
post #41 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
yeah I noticed this too playing my fans are very audible and I have a pro also, I have to try performance mode next, but awesome game, story grabs you in the first 5 mins, amazing.

I'm stunned with the quality of resolution and detail in Performance Mode... I swear it's beyond 1080p. The framerate is a bit inconsistent, though.

Also nice to see HDR handled so well.
Toe likes this.
post #42 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I was able to get a God of War PS4 pro bundle at Best Buy great deal instAlled the game today hope to play it later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaverJ and vtalon like this.
post #43 of 72 Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Great to hear there is a nice low end to this game!
Oh yeah it's crazy especially doing those bare fist finishing moves.
Toe likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 04-24-2018 at 12:48 AM.
post #44 of 72 Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 113
What are everyone's HDR settings In game, also any ZD9 owners here?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #45 of 72 Old 04-22-2018, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Just played the first hour. It's good so far, but man the game really forces you to fully utilize all of Kratos' abilities. This is a good thing, but I have been so used to button mashing on easy mode games as of late that it's weird to have to actually think.
DaverJ and vtalon like this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #46 of 72 Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I picked up the game yesterday (decided to go with a disc as I saved 20%) and just got past the first encounter with the stranger (quite epic). The game is beautiful and the story looks interesting. Kratos seems to be the same moody blunt instrument I remember so it will be interesting to see if he mellows out at all as the game continues. About my only complaint is that, with the default control scheme at least, it feels a bit awkward to have different buttons for throwing and retrieving the Leviathan Axe. I think it would make more sense to have the same button act as a toggle: press once to throw, then press again to retrieve. I'm sure I'll get used to it but in the heat of combat I kept wondering why my axe wasn't working only to realize I had never called it back.
post #47 of 72 Old 04-22-2018, 11:09 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
About my only complaint is that, with the default control scheme at least, it feels a bit awkward to have different buttons for throwing and retrieving the Leviathan Axe. I think it would make more sense to have the same button act as a toggle: press once to throw, then press again to retrieve. I'm sure I'll get used to it but in the heat of combat I kept wondering why my axe wasn't working only to realize I had never called it back.
About the axe recall, don’t worry it becomes second nature before you know it. The game is a masterpiece. Just gets better and better as you progress, the boss and mini boss fights are exceptionally well done. A mate of mine just platted it, he said the story gets really epic towards the end.
post #48 of 72 Old 04-22-2018, 11:11 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
What are everyone's HDR settings In game, also any ZD9 owners here?
I’m also keen to know this. I’m playing with default hdr settings on a Samsung ks8500
post #49 of 72 Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalsh View Post
I’m also keen to know this. I’m playing with default hdr settings on a Samsung ks8500
I really dislike current HDR settings in several games. Unlike the old set brightness so that X is just visible, we have these combo sliders and are adjusting an image with no direction as to what should/shouldn't be visible.

With GoW, messing with the sliders, I have some low end black crush visible on the rocks in the left image that if fixed washes the image out. So I went with a little bit of black crush while maintaining what I think is good quality. I think I ended up on 60/40 Brightness/Contrast on my E6.

GoW isn't only game that makes it unclear what should/shouldn't be seen: Monster Hunter World has similar style sliders, and World of Tanks too (both Xbox One X played)..... actually this seems to be the norm for HDR titles now...... crap....
post #50 of 72 Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Default settings for HDR here (Vizio P series), and it looks perfect to me. But I agree that a single HDR slider with terms like "Paper White" doesn't clarify things, and is less than helpful. I found the HDR in Far Cry 5 (Xbox One X) has some very bad blooming/overexposure at default, but knocking the slider down a notch or two seemed to cure it.

As for the different buttons for the throw/retrieve axe thing, at first i found that confusing, frustrating, and non-intuitive. But after getting used to it, now I think it's quite brilliant. A bit of muscle memory and the process is becomes very immersive.
post #51 of 72 Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Bah, I was hoping to hold off buying a PS4 until Last of Us 2...........but......GoW looks like something I would really enjoy. Time to see how much wife credits i have left.
DaverJ, vtalon and pspoar like this.
post #52 of 72 Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Toe

Quote:
I really dislike current HDR settings in several games. Unlike the old set brightness so that X is just visible, we have these combo sliders and are adjusting an image with no direction as to what should/shouldn't be visible.

With GoW, messing with the sliders, I have some low end black crush visible on the rocks in the left image that if fixed washes the image out. So I went with a little bit of black crush while maintaining what I think is good quality. I think I ended up on 60/40 Brightness/Contrast on my E6.

GoW isn't only game that makes it unclear what should/shouldn't be seen: Monster Hunter World has similar style sliders, and World of Tanks too (both Xbox One X played)..... actually this seems to be the norm for HDR titles now...... crap....
This sounds like a gamma issue with your set. Reason I say this is I was switching last night between my custom HDR gamma and the stock out of box gamma on my JVC X790 and the low level detail was significantly different in that far left pic on the calibration screen between the two. Lots of black crush in that pic with the stock gamma, but that detail came right out when I switched to my custom gamma. This was all with the default 50/50 brightness/contrast in the GoW calibration menu settings.
post #53 of 72 Old 04-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Bah, I was hoping to hold off buying a PS4 until Last of Us 2...........but......GoW looks like something I would really enjoy. Time to see how much wife credits i have left.
Don't know if it'll help for your situation, but my wife actually likes watching God of War. She cringes at some of the kill cams, but she likes following with the story and such. Another game she liked following along with was Horizon Zero Dawn (probably number 1 game). Actually doesn't want me playing those without her.
post #54 of 72 Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't know if it'll help for your situation, but my wife actually likes watching God of War. She cringes at some of the kill cams, but she likes following with the story and such. Another game she liked following along with was Horizon Zero Dawn (probably number 1 game). Actually doesn't want me playing those without her.
She played and enjoyed Last of Us....so some tactfully shown videos of the remastered version in addition to teases of Last of Us 2 might be angle i take
vtalon likes this.
post #55 of 72 Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
This game has become my new showpiece when people come over and I want to show off my LG OLED. Game looks absolutely amazing and it also has the best use of HDR I have seen in a game yet. I have 20+ hours in the game and half of that time is probably just me admiring the amazing visuals. The sky boxes are gorgeous, the textures are eye piercingly sharp and the lighting! Sunlight looks like actual sunlight in this game and is blindingly bright when emerging from a dark cave or tomb, especially in some of the beach areas around the lake. Looks so amazing.

Regarding resolution vs. performance mode, for me personally, I see no other option but resolution. I have tried both and I immediately notice a big difference in image quality. Performance mode looks much softer. Part of it can be that I sit just shy of 5 feet from my 55" tv, so I really notice the advantages of 4k from my sitting position.
DaverJ likes this.
post #56 of 72 Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So I'm having some fun making videos for this game. Yestreday I made one for one of the more challenging Nornir chests in the game (at least so far). It's the one in the Witch's Sanctuary where you need the Winds of Hel. If anyone needs help, here it is:

Plus that pesky, elusive (at least for me, I got stuck on something simple) Legendary chest in the Wtich's Cave:

Also, I have a playlist (most for Nornir and Legendary/coffin chests) over here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GKQJjBuS5mQ6aI

Go easy, I'm fairly new to this. :P
boltsfan21 likes this.

I Eat Games | Twitter[/B][/CENTER]
post #57 of 72 Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So used a 20% off coupon at Target yesterday and picked up a PS4 Pro. Been playing GoW pretty much since getting home REALLY enjoying it. Even on my budget 4k/HDR TV , boy it looks incredible.
post #58 of 72 Old 04-30-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious what others with a TCL p605/7 are using for settings with PS4 Pro and God of War. I currently leave the PS4 Pros settings to Auto and left the in-game sliders at default.
post #59 of 72 Old 05-01-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I am really enjoying the story....i love these type of story games......but I had to lower the game difficulty cause I was getting slaughtered left and right. I just don't have the hand eye coordination I used to for parrying and such in these games.
post #60 of 72 Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post
So I'm having some fun making videos for this game. Yestreday I made one for one of the more challenging Nornir chests in the game (at least so far). It's the one in the Witch's Sanctuary where you need the Winds of Hel. If anyone needs help, here it is:

https://youtu.be/iVY-q0IY5ek

Plus that pesky, elusive (at least for me, I got stuck on something simple) Legendary chest in the Wtich's Cave:
https://youtu.be/ZVRqL3e5Zxk

Also, I have a playlist (most for Nornir and Legendary/coffin chests) over here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GKQJjBuS5mQ6aI

Go easy, I'm fairly new to this. :P
Thanks for the videos. I just started playing over the weekend and I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get the chest in the Witch's cave. I gave up, but seeing your videos, looks like I have to return after doing the quest mentioned in both videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page