Death Stranding - the new PS4 game from Kojima Productions - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 11-11-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
Here's my spoiler free update on opening weekend with the game. I played 22 hours of this game over the weekend. It's the most amount of time I believe I've put into a game at launch since the original Destiny released. Visually, it's one of the most stunning looking games, up there with the likes of Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn (also on Decima engine). I'm playing this on PS4 Pro which uses 2160 checker-boarding for 4K, and it looks seriously killer on my LG C9 OLED.

The audio in this game is also very impressive. There's no in depth settings to choose from, but the game does a good job of automatically utilizing whatever setup you do have. My simple 5.1 home theater setup made great use of enveloping the player in the world. The sound effects are very crisp and the LFE is abundant. This is definitely a game I would use to demo home theater gaming. This and the aforementioned titles would be the best for showcasing why we spend the money we do on AV equipment.

In order to keep this post spoiler free I won't get into specific gameplay details, but I did have one concern going into this initially, and it had to do with the style of play. I was curious how a game could be so long and keep a players interest when it seemed at first glance that there wasn't much going for it in the gameplay department. Early on I was fascinated but concerned that things would start to get boring over time, but rest assured, the further you get in the game the more options open up to you. Things I never saw coming have really made the gameplay much more interesting and exciting as I progress. I'm having an absolute blast with Death Stranding! That said, I can see how it may not be for everyone. If you're even mildly interested in this one, I would at least suggest you give it a rental, or wait for a sale. If you are one who tends to look at gameplay videos before deciding to buy, know that watching this game would probably bore you to death. It's not a game I would ever want to watch someone play, but it's so much fun being in control of the experience.
Haha very well said! And I agree on all counts - the game so immersive and addicting (the audio is fantastic)...I'm also around the 19-20 hour mark after this weekend and I can't wait to play more

I was lucky and did stumble upon a couple of non-spoiler articles which mentioned that you should not get stuck (or stay too long) on Episode 2 and burn a ton of time - I'm glad I saw this as I was going to attempt to do all the "side-missions" (not the actual word in-game) and I could see this getting boring (and essentially off-putting to the game)

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been enjoying this one a lot, but I also did like Euro Truck Simulator and found the support roles in games fun. NGL, this game is why I'm looking to upgrade the sub on my main system now lol. It was an oft neglected part, but I felt the need to be very cinematic with this game and the sub is not up to par with my speakers. Great sound design and great soundtrack, as is usual for Kojima. I'm about 25 hours in, still enjoyable. It's a love/hate sort of game though, I can see where some might not find it interesting. You have to find the premise interesting, want to learn more, and not mind "fetch quests" - though there is a lot more involved without giving any spoilers than just go from point A to B.

PC System: ATI AT1506 | Integra DTC-9.8 | Totem Dreamcatchers | Definitive ProMonitor 100s + SuperCube II
Game/Music System: Denon AVR-4802 | Infinity Crescendo CS3008 | Eosone RSP-912 | Pioneer PL-71 + CLD-D701 | Sony KDL40W600B + RX77ES + NS3100ES + PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
Bedroom System: Sony STR-AV880 | B&W 602 S3 | Denon DRM-540 + DCM-520
post #33 of 36 Old 11-15-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I have been messaged on other social media by friends on the fence with picking up DS.
I have given my spoiler free take and explained to them my experience of about 30ish hours and barely making it out of chapter 3.

God of war up to this point has been my game of the generation, but Death Stranding has quickly caught up. If Kojima and co. can stick the landing it may surpass it.

This is one of those games that arrived at the exact time I needed it to and has surpassed all expectations. This coming from someone who loved the original MGS, but couldn’t get into how far off the handle later MGS games flew off the handle.

I hope that this isn’t a franchise, because I don’t feel that a sequel would work with what I’ve played so far.

I picked this up today, this is how much I love this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lax01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 11-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I finished the game on Saturday. I mostly stuck to the main campaign and avoided most of the optional missions. I feel like there's a section of content about 2/3 of the way in that made me take the game from a solid 9/10 down to maybe a 6/10. By the end of the game I was back up to an 8/10 though and I definitely recommend it to everyone that is ready for a unique and special gaming experience. Just know there are times where you won't be enjoying yourself, but it's worth grinding through it to experience what the story has to offer.
Spoiler!
post #35 of 36 Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will need to read your spoiler later...and determine where it dragged for you - I just entered Chapter 5 and have like 30 hours already built up haha

I'm still amazed by the overall detail put into the game...the level of immersion - especially with 5.1 and HDR

Josh
post #36 of 36 Old 11-29-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
I finished the game on Saturday. I mostly stuck to the main campaign and avoided most of the optional missions. I feel like there's a section of content about 2/3 of the way in that made me take the game from a solid 9/10 down to maybe a 6/10. By the end of the game I was back up to an 8/10 though and I definitely recommend it to everyone that is ready for a unique and special gaming experience. Just know there are times where you won't be enjoying yourself, but it's worth grinding through it to experience what the story has to offer.
Spoiler!
So finally just finished it last night around 2AM....sort of agree - will just go spoiler tag (for the entire story - read at your own risk) from here:

Spoiler!

I don't know...I burned 60+ hours in game...that is not an insignificant amount of time - don't know if I could do it again for a sequel

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page