The Last of Us Part II - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
New trailer from Paris Games Week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzdNECcio54

Brief interview with Neil Druckmann:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUqlgfXbyG4
Wow, those graphics look incredible. I hope we get a release date soon. Can't wait for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Honestly, that trailer made me not want to play the game. Just way too grim & brutal; it's an attack on the audience rather than attack on the characters. I liked The Last Of Us despite the brutality, not because of it - I loved it because of the relationship between Joel & Ellie.

Druckman's move toward grim & broody is seeming more and more like a reflex, rather than a choice; I really found Last Legacy to be a breath of fresh air after Uncharted 4, and what I'd really like to play is another Chloe & Nadine outing.
post #33 of 74 Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 639
It's one scene, and I think there is likely a very good reason it is as brutal as it is. I'd agree it was very uncomfortable and unsettling to watch, but I don't think it's accidental and I hope and believe that level of brutality will be used sparingly and appropriately. Still anticipating the hell out of this title... although we have a good wait ahead of us still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
It's one scene, and I think there is likely a very good reason it is as brutal as it is. I'd agree it was very uncomfortable and unsettling to watch, but I don't think it's accidental and I hope and believe that level of brutality will be used sparingly and appropriately. Still anticipating the hell out of this title... although we have a good wait ahead of us still.
My guess is this scene was shown because Naughty Dog doesn't want to reveal anything about Joel and Ellie. From the reveal trailer, people are still wondering if Joel is actually still alive or dead. I'm sure Naughty Dog wants fans to continue to wonder until the game releases. Plus, there are new characters in the game so this seems to be a preview of one of them.
post #35 of 74 Old 11-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
...From the reveal trailer, people are still wondering if Joel is actually still alive or dead...
Weird. While they didn't show his face, that was Joel's silhouette, "kiddo" is what Joel calls Ellie, and it was definitely Troy Baker's Joel voice in the reveal.
post #36 of 74 Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
Weird. While they didn't show his face, that was Joel's silhouette, "kiddo" is what Joel calls Ellie, and it was definitely Troy Baker's Joel voice in the reveal.
Me personally, I don't think he is dead but some people feel that Ellie is hallucinating that Joel is there.
post #37 of 74 Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I don't currently own a PS4....but I will once this game is released
Evan E likes this.
post #38 of 74 Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 AM

You'll have a bunch of great games to catch up on once you do - Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Infamous: Second Son & First Light, Until Dawn, Bloodborne... My backlog pile of shame is about to break through the floor and fall into the basement.
post #39 of 74 Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I don't currently own a PS4....but I will once this game is released
You need to play the Last of Us first before you play the new one due to the story.
post #40 of 74 Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
Honestly, that trailer made me not want to play the game. Just way too grim & brutal; it's an attack on the audience rather than attack on the characters. I liked The Last Of Us despite the brutality, not because of it - I loved it because of the relationship between Joel & Ellie.

Druckman's move toward grim & broody is seeming more and more like a reflex, rather than a choice; I really found Last Legacy to be a breath of fresh air after Uncharted 4, and what I'd really like to play is another Chloe & Nadine outing.
I was one of the 6 people on the planet who didn't care for The Last of Us at all. Yes it was a well made game; yes the graphics were pretty. But it was also depressing, often brutal and just plain joyless. I've always subscribed to the notion that games should be fun. A game can be dark and fun. It can be violent and but still have a sense of humor, even if that humor is dark. Doom, for all its relentless bloodletting is an absolute rush to play; it doesn't take itself seriously. The Wolfenstein games present a dystopian vision of the world and even though you are often vulnerable and witness terrible things, your friends still have hope and you feel empowered as you fight your way thru the game. Even the Uncharted games (also made by Naughty Dog) straddle that line of serious and fun successfully most of the time. But Last of Us just came across as a pretentious, self-important effort to me that seemed to enjoy wallowing in death, decay and the worst human impulses for far too much of its length. I deleted it from my hard drive and sold the game the day after I finished it. If this new trailer is anything to go by, they seem to want to go even further down the rabbit hole. No thanks.
post #41 of 74 Old 11-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I was one of the 6 people on the planet who didn't care for The Last of Us at all...
On the other hand, Last Of Us is one of my favorite games of all time. Which is why I'll play the sequel despite that trailer. It's just that now, instead of eagerly anticipating it, I hope that I'll enjoy it.
Abaddon likes this.
post #42 of 74 Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
I was one of the 6 people on the planet who didn't care for The Last of Us at all. Yes it was a well made game; yes the graphics were pretty. But it was also depressing, often brutal and just plain joyless. I've always subscribed to the notion that games should be fun.
I didn't find it to be unremittingly dark. There were Ellie's recurring jokes for humor, and the encounter with the giraffes for a moment of wonder. But yes, it was a very dark game. I think there should be room within the medium for that, just as there is room for grim novels and grim films.

I don't believe that grimness automatically makes a work of art better or more serious, and it is entirely possible that the sequel will be too grim for my taste. But by the end of The Last of Us, I was emotionally engaged with Joel and Ellie in a way that I haven't been with any other video game protagonists, and that probably wouldn't have happened if the game had been significantly lighter in tone.
Abaddon and Evan E like this.
post #43 of 74 Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
I was one of the 6 people on the planet who didn't care for The Last of Us at all. Yes it was a well made game; yes the graphics were pretty. But it was also depressing, often brutal and just plain joyless. I've always subscribed to the notion that games should be fun. A game can be dark and fun. It can be violent and but still have a sense of humor, even if that humor is dark. Doom, for all its relentless bloodletting is an absolute rush to play; it doesn't take itself seriously. The Wolfenstein games present a dystopian vision of the world and even though you are often vulnerable and witness terrible things, your friends still have hope and you feel empowered as you fight your way thru the game. Even the Uncharted games (also made by Naughty Dog) straddle that line of serious and fun successfully most of the time. But Last of Us just came across as a pretentious, self-important effort to me that seemed to enjoy wallowing in death, decay and the worst human impulses for far too much of its length. I deleted it from my hard drive and sold the game the day after I finished it. If this new trailer is anything to go by, they seem to want to go even further down the rabbit hole. No thanks.

I agree.

And I love the game for it. I am a huge fan of the Post Apocalyptic genre of fiction. The darker and more depressing, the better. That genre is about survival against overwhelming odds. Its not supposed to be fun. Its not supposed to be happy. Its supposed to be dark and upsetting. The Last of Us is the one game that has gotten that genre's mood and feel right. It was essentially perfect in that regard. Much like the movie The Mist or a Romero zombie film or 28 days later. That is exactly what I want from such a game.

The LoU2 trailer was absolutely fantastic to me. It intrigued me enough that I have no doubt about purchasing this tittle, at this juncture. Different strokes and all that.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #44 of 74 Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I find Doom and Wolfenstein to be juvenile and desensitizingly violent. Potato potahto?
post #45 of 74 Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

E3 2018 gameplay trailer:

aaronwt and Mikazaru like this.
post #46 of 74 Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Sony should have shown this last. When it comes to narrative and presentation, Naughty Dog is just at another level. Days Gone just pales in comparison (Sony Bend should have went with a different setting for their game). As far as the the rest of Sony's E3 presentation goes, Death Stranding looks really weird. Ghost of Tsushima looks great, but now has to compete with Sekiro and Nioh 2. I wasn't impressed with the Spider-man trailer, but the gameplay they showed after the presentation sold me. Control looks like an interesting follow-up to Quantum Break and I'm a bit surprised that it isn't a MS exclusive. RE2 Remake has that PS2 nostalgia factor.
post #47 of 74 Old 06-12-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Last of Us 2 is the only thing I am looking forward too. Everything else they showed just did not interest me.
post #48 of 74 Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9436 Post(s)
Liked: 6116
Did they announce a release date? Or is it another title coming in 2019 or later?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #49 of 74 Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 169
This looked pretty dang good.
aaronwt likes this.

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #50 of 74 Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I was one who was on the fence about the first game and thus never played it. After seeing this trailer, I have to get that game so I have a point of reference going into Part 2.

I don't know how many rival factions you faced in the first one, but watching this trailer makes me feel like I'm watching the Walking Dead vs the Saviors.
aaronwt likes this.
post #51 of 74 Old 06-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Did they announce a release date? Or is it another title coming in 2019 or later?
No release date has been announced so far. From what I'm reading, it could be 2020. People are speculating Last of Us 2 could be launch title for nex gen PS system rumored to launch in 2020.
aaronwt likes this.
post #52 of 74 Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
No release date has been announced so far. From what I'm reading, it could be 2020. People are speculating Last of Us 2 could be launch title for nex gen PS system rumored to launch in 2020.
That would certainly be a kick ass launch title.

post #53 of 74 Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
People are speculating Last of Us 2 could be launch title for nex gen PS system rumored to launch in 2020.
HAH! The irony; I have basically just been waiting for this game to be released before buying a PS4, now perhaps I could be skipping the PS4 completely

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // PS3
Sound: Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
post #54 of 74 Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

cool, so I bought my PS4Pro for like two games
post #55 of 74 Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The release date has been announced: February 21, 2020:

aaronwt likes this.
post #56 of 74 Old 09-24-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, The Last of Us Remastered is a PS+ free game for October.
aaronwt likes this.
post #57 of 74 Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I think I'm skipping this for the next gen inevitability. I'm not double dipping again.
post #58 of 74 Old 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 267
As one who never played the first one, I was on the fence about the sequel. I was planning on getting the 1st so I could then play the 2nd, but then I read something that is swaying me away.

I know there will be those that say it's just a game, but to me this addition is unnecessary. The article said that rival gangs would be employing scent tracking dogs and in order to not be discovered you would have to kill the dogs in the game. It went on to add you'd be killing a lot of dogs for that matter.

So yes, it's just a game, but to animal lovers our pets are more than just pets, they are like our kids and this to me is not a fun time having to kill them.
post #59 of 74 Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I definitely recommend playing the first game, even if you don't plan on playing the second. There's no dog killing in it.

As someone who loves animals, I know it'll be hard to play the second game; maybe I won't be able to do it. I think I understand their reasoning: they want you to feel the weight of your actions, and given that we as gamers have gotten accustomed to killing human enemies, using animals is a way to get us to appreciate the cost of violence. It's not supposed to be fun.
post #60 of 74 Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
As one who never played the first one, I was on the fence about the sequel. I was planning on getting the 1st so I could then play the 2nd, but then I read something that is swaying me away.

I know there will be those that say it's just a game, but to me this addition is unnecessary. The article said that rival gangs would be employing scent tracking dogs and in order to not be discovered you would have to kill the dogs in the game. It went on to add you'd be killing a lot of dogs for that matter.

So yes, it's just a game, but to animal lovers our pets are more than just pets, they are like our kids and this to me is not a fun time having to kill them.
???
But killing people is fine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page