The Last of Us Part II - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
As one who never played the first one, I was on the fence about the sequel. I was planning on getting the 1st so I could then play the 2nd, but then I read something that is swaying me away.

I know there will be those that say it's just a game, but to me this addition is unnecessary. The article said that rival gangs would be employing scent tracking dogs and in order to not be discovered you would have to kill the dogs in the game. It went on to add you'd be killing a lot of dogs for that matter.

So yes, it's just a game, but to animal lovers our pets are more than just pets, they are like our kids and this to me is not a fun time having to kill them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???
But killing people is fine?
For some odd reason, yes.
Now, if it were a child, I would have as hard a time pulling the trigger as I would for an animal. For an adult though, screw them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I think I'm skipping this for the next gen inevitability. I'm not double dipping again.
The PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games. Once the PS5 is released, all Naughty Dog has to do is release an update for it; similar to what they did for the PS4 Pro.

Due to not having multiplayer (at launch), I'm considering waiting until the PS5 is released to buy it. I too own it on both the PS3 and PS4 but only played it (the single player) once on each system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I know there will be those that say it's just a game, but to me this addition is unnecessary. The article said that rival gangs would be employing scent tracking dogs and in order to not be discovered you would have to kill the dogs in the game. It went on to add you'd be killing a lot of dogs for that matter.

So yes, it's just a game, but to animal lovers our pets are more than just pets, they are like our kids and this to me is not a fun time having to kill them.
Pretty sure they said you would not have to kill the dogs. Just that killing them would keep them from tracking you. Besides, you are not killing your pets, you'd be killing imaginary ones in a video game.

The Last of Us is a game that elicits strong emotions. The story was written so you'd care about Joel, his daughter, and Ellie. Anyone who had a daughter/niece/granddaughter/etc, couldn't help but feel strong ties to the story. Others obviously did as well and IMO, that is one of the things that made the game great.

In TLOU2, the story line will make you care about her girlfriend (maybe), and of course Ellie and Joel again. The rest of the characters and NPC dogs won't really matter to anyone. Now if the storyline included a dog that Ellie raised and cared for, people would care. However, since these dogs will more than likely be shown as "bad" dogs, it's unlikely people will care about them or feel bad for killing them.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #63 of 74 Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
Pretty sure they said you would not have to kill the dogs. Just that killing them would keep them from tracking you.
They said you won't have to kill dogs, but avoiding that will require completing most of the game stealthily; if you raise an alarm, the dogs will attack. So a "no dogs killed" run will be very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 10-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
They said you won't have to kill dogs, but avoiding that will require completing most of the game stealthily; if you raise an alarm, the dogs will attack. So a "no dogs killed" run will be very difficult.
Some people will welcome the added challenge. I won't be surprised if there is a trophy for that.

I on the other hand will be putting arrows into any of them that pose a threat.

Personally, I don't think not killing the dogs will make the game very difficult. Killing any dog would instantly alert it's handler. That means you'd either have to kill the dog and it's handler (right away) or let the enemy characters know you are in the area. If you do that, it sort of defeats the purpose of killing the dogs to avoid them picking up your scent.

Due to wanting to avoid spoilers, I haven't watched much game play. I did however watch a short clip that showed the player's scent trail.
Unlike in the real world, it doesn't seem as if the dogs will easily smell you, only if they pass the exact area you've recently walked by. I want to say that the scent trail would dissipate after a while but I'm not certain.

post #65 of 74 Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
Personally, I don't think not killing the dogs will make the game very difficult. Killing any dog would instantly alert it's handler. That means you'd either have to kill the dog and it's handler (right away) or let the enemy characters know you are in the area. If you do that, it sort of defeats the purpose of killing the dogs to avoid them picking up your scent.
From what I've heard, you can kill the dogs silently while they're following your scent trail. Later you'll hear the anguished cries of the handler when he finds the dog's body. So it's to your advantage to kill the dogs, because doing so will keep you from being detected by the humans.

To avoid killing dogs, you'll have to keep creating distractions that will cause the dogs to lose your scent. And that will be harder.
post #66 of 74 Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
and the dog loving snowflakes have arrived. been killing animals on games for 30+ years. go mope somewhere else.
post #67 of 74 Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
From what I've heard, you can kill the dogs silently while they're following your scent trail. Later you'll hear the anguished cries of the handler when he finds the dog's body. So it's to your advantage to kill the dogs, because doing so will keep you from being detected by the humans.

To avoid killing dogs, you'll have to keep creating distractions that will cause the dogs to lose your scent. And that will be harder.
So essentially it'll be similar to the first game where you either had to one by one kill the Clickers and Runners (without alerting others) or stealthily go around them?

post #68 of 74 Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9444 Post(s)
Liked: 6130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post
and the dog loving snowflakes have arrived. been killing animals on games for 30+ years. go mope somewhere else.
I still don't get the issue of people having a problem killing animals in games, yet killing humans is OK.

It just makes no sense to me.

Personally I have no problem with any of it. Since it is just a game. Of course in real life I wouldn't want to kill a human or a dog. But that is reality. A game is nowhere close to reality.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #69 of 74 Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It's a game, so I'm not too concerned. I never see the dogs in games as pets, but more as tools. They are being used to track and attack you. I'd prefer to save my ammo, but if it's a choice of being mauled and killed and starting over at the last save point or shooting a dog, I'll choose the latter. It's just for added difficulty.

I'll be waiting for this title to drop in price. I have quite the backlog now and probably won't be getting the next PlayStation until the second hardware revision, just like I never had a base PS4, but waited for the Pro to hit shelves before moving from PS3.

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
post #70 of 74 Old 10-25-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The release date has been pushed to May 29, 2020.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019...to-ps4-in-may/
post #71 of 74 Old 10-25-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still don't get the issue of people having a problem killing animals in games, yet killing humans is OK.

It just makes no sense to me.
Unless you are John Wick
post #72 of 74 Old 11-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the release date was pushed back I might try and hang out for a few months until the ps5 comes out.

Hopefully after FF7 remake I'll have something to keep me busy till then.
post #73 of 74 Old 11-09-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Just quickly finished Last of Us Remastered prior to starting Death Stranding...had gotten back into PS4 gaming after A LONG hiatus and went through Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman prior to finally taking on Last of Us (had always wanted to - just never got around to doing it) - The Last of Us 2 trailer convinced me that I needed to play the first game

For a game that started on PS3, it still, especially the story, holds up. You can tell A LOT of thing game dynamics are pretty dated though - it still felt very linear to me - after playing true open-world games like Horizon and Spiderman. You really could not pick your path. The controls and fighting dynamics are also pretty terrible in comparison to more modern games.

After playing the first 4-5 hours of DS, it's definitely a HUGE difference in quality across the board (but that's expected for a next-gen game)

Also, I didn't kill the dogs

Josh
post #74 of 74 Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Naughty Dog doesn't make open-world games; that's not a product of The Last of Us being a PS3 game, that's a deliberate design decision. They started experimenting with larger open areas within a linear game with Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy, but not in the traditional "map full of side-missions" way; they aren't trying to let you pick your path, they're trying to tell a specific story. I expect The Last of Us 2 will also be mostly linear, because that's the kind of game they want to make.
lax01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page