Anyone dropping ps4 pro to go to Xbox one x? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post
I was reading with certain games like CoD- Infinite warfare. The X looks better, but the frame rate suffers. I didn't watch the whole video though. Just browsed the comments.
There are a couple older titles that could really use some X enhancements -- or if already enhanced, a little more time w/ optimization.

But it was the same for the Pro when it was released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 12-02-2017, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm rocking both. The Sony is staying because I have actual friends on there. Also I have my Battlefield 1 game on it. Not to mention PlayStation exclusives. The X looks good and I am enjoying a few games in it atm.
DaverJ likes this.
post #63 of 83 Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Just grabbed my XBoneX today. Have to wait for Santa though - kids and all.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Restart to Thread

I see last traffic here was in Dec 2017 so trying this before posting my own thread.

Sony 4k OLED owner here - I understand the Xbox One X has the 4K capability- yet Im NOT really a true gamer. Would use it more for playing stuff like Redbox BlueRay DVDs and stuff (Possibly Streaming) But the Sony A1E has that built in, which I use.

Therefore, the dilemma still remains - Which Platform does some who plays very little games go for?

**NOTE: I do use VR currently off Samsung Galaxy Occulus, and know Sony has much more VR than Xbox. What do I do?

(A true PS5 decision would seal the deal as Im sure they'll go to 4K content too!

==================================================
-Sony XBR OLED XBR-55A1E
-Marantz SR5012 AV Receiver
-Martin Logan Motion 4i Speakers + 6i Center Channel + Dynamo 700 Subwoofer

-PS4 Pro or Xbox One X - Someone Sell Me on Either ?(Not a Big Gamer)
post #65 of 83 Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
I see last traffic here was in Dec 2017 so trying this before posting my own thread.

Sony 4k OLED owner here - I understand the Xbox One X has the 4K capability- yet Im NOT really a true gamer. Would use it more for playing stuff like Redbox BlueRay DVDs and stuff (Possibly Streaming) But the Sony A1E has that built in, which I use.

Therefore, the dilemma still remains - Which Platform does some who plays very little games go for?

**NOTE: I do use VR currently off Samsung Galaxy Occulus, and know Sony has much more VR than Xbox. What do I do?

(A true PS5 decision would seal the deal as Im sure they'll go to 4K content too!
For someone who is, or wants to be, a casual gamer on a budget, the best decision is between the Xbox One S and the PS4 Slim 1080p machines. Both have streaming and Blu-ray capability.

The Xbox gives 4K UHD disc support out of the box (no 4K games on the S), while the Playstation adds a VR option at additional cost. Does either one of those seal the deal? If not, it would be down to which controller you favor, or which interface appeals more. As for games, both have excellent exclusives, with the Playstation a bit in the lead (Horizon Zero Dawn, the Uncharted series, Last of Us, etc).
Gunny Fitz likes this.
post #66 of 83 Old 01-26-2018, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have been a Sony playstation fan since day one, I have owned all the playstations and just recently I decided to purchase an X box one x. My son who games turned me onto the Pubg game, I played a match and I was hooked so i went out and purchased an x box one x just for the game.

The controller is where the difference comes into play, after a couple of matches i got used to the change, other than that I like the x box experience and of course I will keep my ps4 and continue to play games on it.
Gunny Fitz likes this.
post #67 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After having owned both now, I still find the PS4 more eloquent in execution then the XBox 1. Yes, my One X has more horespower and will likely show games better, but I like the PS4 interface much more. And I really enjoy the PS4's sleep/resume game feature.

Oh, and my friggin' controller doesn't disconnect randomly on my PS4. That's nice.
diceburna and Gunny Fitz like this.
post #68 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Oh, and my friggin' controller doesn't disconnect randomly on my PS4. That's nice.
Have you tried Enloops for the Xbox controller?
post #69 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Have you tried Enloops for the Xbox controller?
Yep. I've changed my 2.4ghz channel, I've turned my SONOS speakers off (unplugged), the only thing left is to try turning off my 2.4ghz channel entirely.

I never had this issue on my XB1 Slim. I hesitate to think its the XB1 X as I'm on my second one for this issue. I suppose it is what it is.

Maybe its something to do w/ my new Astro A50 Gen3s, but I'm not willing to test a long gaming session w/o them.
Gunny Fitz likes this.
post #70 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
After having owned both now, I still find the PS4 more eloquent in execution then the XBox 1. Yes, my One X has more horespower and will likely show games better, but I like the PS4 interface much more. And I really enjoy the PS4's sleep/resume game feature.

I agree. I don't regret purchasing the One X, but I still like the PS4 better. The interface on the Xbox is a cluttered mess.
post #71 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

XB1 also has sleep/resume. Maybe you're in the wrong power mode (ie. Instant-on on XB1 = Rest mode on PS4).
Gunny Fitz likes this.
post #72 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
XB1 also has sleep/resume. Maybe you're in the wrong power mode (ie. Instant-on on XB1 = Rest mode on PS4).
In my experience my XB1 always behaved better fully shut down. Maybe the bugs have since been patched out.
post #73 of 83 Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
In my experience my XB1 always behaved better fully shut down. Maybe the bugs have since been patched out.
Ah, maybe that is the case. I never use it on either myself. Funnily, the reason for this is because I had problems with my PS4 when the feature first came out.
Gunny Fitz likes this.
post #74 of 83 Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM

Question What about "other" use.....

Meaning, what about using it for its "Streaming Features" - Do they BOTH come w Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Google Video, etc etc???

Also, no doubt they be used as a Blue-Ray Player - BUT- Does it play regular "Old" DVDs with Backward Compatibility?

I read the Sony PS4 will play older PS3 Games fine - probably not in its best picture quality. Does XBOX Play Older Games too?

I guess my only holdup is, like many others in the world - Wondering if a PS5 will catch up and have the 4K DVD / Game picture capability too. Diidnt Microsoft just publish something about their New VP in charge of Gaming, and that their market is MUCH lower than what SOny carries. Swear I read that on a feed. ALSO- Wonder if having a Sony OLED would make Sony PS4 any better?

Thanks all- Keep it coming please!!

-Sony XBR OLED XBR-55A1E

post #75 of 83 Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Meaning, what about using it for its "Streaming Features" - Do they BOTH come w Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Google Video, etc etc???

Also, no doubt they be used as a Blue-Ray Player - BUT- Does it play regular "Old" DVDs with Backward Compatibility?

I read the Sony PS4 will play older PS3 Games fine - probably not in its best picture quality. Does XBOX Play Older Games too?

I guess my only holdup is, like many others in the world - Wondering if a PS5 will catch up and have the 4K DVD / Game picture capability too. Diidnt Microsoft just publish something about their New VP in charge of Gaming, and that their market is MUCH lower than what SOny carries. Swear I read that on a feed. ALSO- Wonder if having a Sony OLED would make Sony PS4 any better?

Thanks all- Keep it coming please!!
One thing I would like to stress to AVS members who aren't hard-core gamers: both Playstation and Xbox are, first and foremost, game machines. Both have abilities beyond gaming, including movies, music, and more... but if you have a great home theater setup and really want a box with excellent non-gaming AV capabilities, you might be frustrated trying to fit either console into your setup and have it do everything you want it to do.

This is somewhat unfortunate because the hardware is there, and both the XB or PS could be everything we want -- that is, if an AV guru was in charge of the hardware and OS. Each console gets close, but at some point you will probably wonder "why doesn't it just do...".

That said, both do DVDs fine and I don't know of any limitation for those discs on either console.

Both have movie streaming capabilities, Netflix, Amazon, etc.. But here's where we get into an AV issue - both consoles support Netflix HDR, but both also switch to HDR as soon as the app is launched, regardless of the content's color space. So SDR content is fit into HDR color levels - it doesn't look bad, but it's not the way SDR should be presented. Xbox adds Netflix Atmos, which is lacking on Playstation.

Backward compatibility
for games - Xbox is way ahead of Playstation here. Xbox continues to support the 360 (previous Xbox) at an above-and-beyond level of support. The 360 compatible library isn't 100% yet, but Microsoft is constantly adding new supported titles free of charge (except for the cost of the game), and some play even better on the modern Xbox One console with improved framerates and more rendering features. OTOH, you can not play previous Playstation console games on the PS4, except through the streaming Playstation Now app, at added cost. NOTE: both consoles have plenty of older games remastered (updated) for the modern console to be purchased again, if owned for previous console.

Hope this helps!
diceburna and Gunny Fitz like this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 01-31-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #76 of 83 Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
One thing I would like to stress to AVS members who aren't hard-core gamers: both Playstation and Xbox are, first and foremost, game machines. Both have abilities beyond gaming, including movies, music, and more... but if you have a great home theater setup and really want a box with excellent non-gaming AV capabilities, you might be frustrated trying to fit either console into your setup and have it do everything you want it to do.

This is somewhat unfortunate because the hardware is there, and both the XB or PS could be everything we want -- that is, if an AV guru was in charge of the hardware and OS. Each console gets close, but at some point you will probably wonder "why doesn't it just do...".

That said, both do DVDs fine and I don't know of any limitation for those discs on either console.

Both have movie streaming capabilities, Netflix, Amazon, etc.. But here's where we get into an AV issue - both consoles support Netflix HDR, but both also switch to HDR as soon as the app is launched, regardless of the content's color space. So SDR content is fit into HDR color levels - it doesn't look bad, but it's not the way SDR should be presented. Xbox adds Netflix Atmos, which is lacking on Playstation.

Backward compatibility
for games - Xbox is way ahead of Playstation here. Xbox continues to support the 360 (previous Xbox) at an above-and-beyond level of support. The 360 compatible library isn't 100% yet, but Microsoft is constantly adding new supported titles free of charge (except for the cost of the game), and some play even better on the modern Xbox One console with improved framerates and more rendering features. OTOH, you can not play previous Playstation console games on the PS4, except through the streaming Playstation Now app, at added cost. NOTE: both consoles have plenty of older games remastered (updated) for the modern console to be purchased again, if owned for previous console.

Hope this helps!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good points, and I appreciate your advice & time taken to write.

Not saying I'm NOT a gamer - just not an "every day gamer" - Its just finding time to do that in the fast paced world of mine.

Good thing is - I DO have both the TV and Receiver to take on any HDR Content-which was a good point. Need to read more about Atmos though.

Lets just say I do MUCH more Netfliix and Amazon Streaming that I do any Redbox stuff. Currently doing that from the OLED Apps,
which Im NOT SURE are getting the Best Picture Quality from - Hence my Point on going w one of these vs. Regular. I mean - what"OTHER"Non Gaming piece of "Gear" would produce BETTER picture and Sound Quality for me? Suggestions always welcome from this Marine!

-Sony XBR OLED XBR-55A1E

Last edited by Gunny Fitz; 01-31-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #77 of 83 Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Xbox one X offers the closest to an all in one machine (console) that we have ever seen. Early on this worked against MS, since the powers that be over emphasized it media capability over gaming.

The strides that they have made over the last two years have been huge and changed the course of the tarnished brand under Don Mattricks guidance.

While those that would ask the question, "what use is the power without the games lineup to make in matter?"

Their first party isn't lacking content, but innovation. We will surely see another GOW, Halo, Fable, but when will we see The Last of Us, Horizon:ZD or Shadow of the colossus.
Sony offers something for everyone, but MS has until recently failed to grow with it's audience.

The release of the X, Game pass, and if rumors be true and acquisition of EA/Valve would see them bolster their first party portfolio. Imagine a re-imagined Deadspace, Half-life 3, Portal 3, Mass effect collection remastered...the list goes on.

I love my X, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the games on offer from Sony (at the moment).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
newfmp3 and Gunny Fitz like this.
post #78 of 83 Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good points, and I appreciate your advice & time taken to write.

Not saying I'm NOT a gamer - just not an "every day gamer" - Its just finding time to do that in the fast paced world of mine.

Good thing is - I DO have both the TV and Receiver to take on any HDR Content-which was a good point. Need to read more about Atmos though.

Lets just say I do MUCH more Netfliix and Amazon Streaming that I do any Redbox stuff. Currently doing that from the OLED Apps,
which Im NOT SURE are getting the Best Picture Quality from - Hence my Point on going w one of these vs. Regular. I mean - what"OTHER"Non Gaming piece of "Gear" would produce BETTER picture and Sound Quality for me? Suggestions always welcome from this Marine!
When it comes to streaming, I don't think it matters picture quality wise if you are using your TV's built in Netflix app for example or the one on the consoles. For me, I use the Apple TV since it supports Dolby Vision while the consoles don't. When it comes to consoles, I would give a slight edge to the One X just because it supports Dolby Atmos. There aren't very many Dolby Atmos titles on Netflix though.

I own both systems and each have their pros and cons. You really can't go wrong either way between the PS4 Pro or One X. For gaming, the PS4 does have way better exclusives and PSVR. The 4K enhanced games on the One X look great, but I don't think it's a huge difference between the PS4 Pro. One thing I give a pro too with the One X is Dolby Atmos titles. I first bought Assassin's Creed Origins on the PS4, but then purchased it again when it was on sale on the One X. I actually prefer playing it on the One X since the Dolby Atmos track sounds amazing. The game looks slightly better on the One X as well. If I had to choose between the two consoles, I would give the nod to the PS4 Pro just mainly due to the fact Sony's exclusive titles like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc are amazing. Plus, I enjoy VR and you can't do that on the One X.
pspoar, diceburna and Gunny Fitz like this.
post #79 of 83 Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
I use my XB1X for Netflix only with titles that have Atmos audio. SInce that is the only device I have that has access to Netflix Atmos audio. The list of devices that support is is extremely short.
javan robinson likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #80 of 83 Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I just bought a PS4 Pro Battlefront 2 Edition and it looks so sweet. Why did I choose it over the Xbox? Exclusives. I mainly bought it for Bloodborne, but Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn (just found out about this...wow), Tearaway (my kids' favourite game on the Vita, shame on Sony for dropping that awesome console), etc. As far as Xbox is concerned, I love M$ for putting their titles on the PC, so I really no longer have a need for their console. I'm rocking Gears of War 4 on Windows 10 and Forza 7 with my Logitech G27 wheel. I have a UHD player, so I don't care if the PS4 doesn't have that capability. It is kinda shameful that they don't have Atmos for gaming, though. The controller feels small, but it's nice. I still prefer my Xbox 360 controller for gaming on my PC.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #81 of 83 Old 03-01-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntstambo2 View Post
The only way I'd even consider a PS4 Pro is if it comes with an SSD. I own an original PS4 and just bought a XB1X and that elite controller. I also own a high-end gaming PC with an HTC Vive. I'm just fed up with Sony and their lousy online service and interface. It's ridiculously slow and there always seems to be some kind of an issue with it, so I've let my PS Plus expire. Honestly, I think I'll be able to live without their exclusives, so I may pass on the PS4 Pro and dump the PS4 all together now that I have a XB1X.

The XB1X was purchased as a combo UHD disc player & sports video game player, while everything else happens on PC. I just can't stand dealing with the lines in game stores for trade-ins (and idiots trying to sell me "disc protection" warranties), or the overpriced game prices for downloading online. You can buy AAA title games at launch, legally and legitimately, for half the price of Steam (and still activate them on Steam) - which is already cheaper than console game prices - and they download exponentially faster.

Not to mention the online PC community is so much better than console...the PS4 online community though (if you play with randoms) has become bottom of the barrel.
AGREED on the SSD. I've been out of gaming for a while and trying to figure out which console to get...my twins jus turned 9. I've played buddies PS4, XboxOne and Nintendo Switch and I am appalled that games still take 60+ sec. to load (Star Wars Battlefront I-II specifically on PS4)...I've already got that with my 11 year old PS3 fat thanks! If all that memory and computing power and 1TB HDD that you have to load most of the game to doesn't cut load times...why even have it?

I'd buy the Nintendo Switch but, the catalogue is of course Nintendo and the PRICE IS THE SAME...WHAAA??? The graphics and motion just aren't there...it used to be justifiable when the N64 was half the price of PS3, but seriously.

This whole industry was never anything but a money grab, and its seem to have gotten worse over the past years. I won't pay for handicapped hardware just so you can release the corrected version 2 years later, at a premium, I won't pay for a monthly subscription or in game content that you need to complete said overpriced game. I don't want hardware that fails 18 times in the first 6 months...sounds like an airplane taking off in your living room...and is a valid substitute for non-non-defeatable central heating in your house.

Can anyone who has both comment on which one is quieter, less heat output, and less HDMI handshake lag/issues? I'd like to buy one to take the place of an Oppo UHD player but it has to play nice in a home theater first.

Last edited by pottscb; 03-01-2018 at 06:01 AM.
post #82 of 83 Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Both of mine work fine in my UHD setup. But the PS4 Pro is easily much, much louder than the XB1X.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #83 of 83 Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 80
And the XBox One X will have more heat output, seeing as it's the most powerful console ever made. Being that it's quieter also indicates that it's expelling heat more efficiently*. Only the XBox One X can replace your OPPO, as it's the only one (besides the XBox One S) that has a UHD drive.

EDIT: *Someone can verify that the X is consuming more power than the Pro. It occurred to me that it may be using newer, more efficient hardware.

bg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page