• 1 Post By Mounta1n

post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
PSVR with a projector setup

So yesterday I experienced VR for the first time ever at the Microsoft store in the mall, and damn that was really cool. So today I went to Best Buy and they had the PSVR Experience going on, and while it didn't quite seem as cool as the stuff I did at the MS store, it was cool enough that I am interested.

However, i am not sure if logistically it will work for my setup.

I have my 120" screen setup with a projector going on, and my closet with my AV gear (and PS4 Pro included) are about 10 feet to the back right of where I typically sit and game and watch movies.

So I am curious if people on here have PSVR with a projector setup, and if so, how do you have it set up? Are there extension cables? Or do you just bring it out and sit in a different spot while you use the PSVR? Ideally I'd like to sit in my recliners like I do when gaming normally or watching a movie, and play the PSVR. I'd also like to have it outputting on my projector if possible and have people in the room to see it too. I wouldn't mind having wires that I have to bring out to use the PSVR then put away when done, so that isn't that much of a big deal to me.

Anyone have a setup of PSVR with a projector, and if so, how did it work logistically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
It really doesn't matter what you're using for a "TV screen", since you won't be watching that. There's a camera that watches you, the headset, and the controllers, though, so that needs to be set up about 6-10 feet in front of you. So what you need to worry about are the cables that go from your PS4 to:

a) the headset - about 14 feet, and
b) the camera - I think it's about 6-8 feet, but you can buy an extension cable

I expect you'll need to move your chair closer to the AV closet and set up the camera every time you want to play. Which, after the first month of enthusiasm, will probably mean that you're more likely to find yourself saying "I'd like to do some VR play, but it's too much work to set up".

If you've got a VR-capable PC in your AV closet, it may make more sense to go with a Vive, which uses wireless "lighthouses" to sense where the headset is (technically, the headset senses where the lighthouses are), instead of a camera. I'm not sure if the rift uses a wireless or wired camera/sensor. (NB: I haven't used a Vive or Rift, so others may correct me on those.)
RonAlam likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
^^^

Sound could be an issue if you can't get everything set up in front of the projector if you don't use a headset. Last I remember reading, you can also only use one extension cable.

I'm in the boat where the run is too far for me. If you can get the cables run to where they need and just hook up the camera when needed, that would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been doing more research this morning and it appears that if I want to do VR, I'll most likely just have to get another chair to sit in and put back near my A/V closet. The length of the camera wire seems to be the main reason why I can't sit in my normal viewing area. As mentioned above, you can't repeat extension cables, and 12 feet from my PS4 to where the camera would be mounted on top of my center channel speaker is farther than that. The HDMI and USB cables I could easily just buy longer ones, but apparently the camera cable can't be extended further. It appears to be a power issue once the wire gets past a certain length, that people are guessing is around 13 feet after testing things out and splicing in their own wires.

I also know I don't need to look at the projector or even have it on when using the PSVR. I just wanted to be able to sit in my normal comfortable chairs more than anything.

I don't have any PC in my HT and don't plan on having one any time soon, let alone one powerful enough to run PC VR stuff. Since I have PS4 Pro already I think I'll give PSVR a shot. I demo'd it at BB yesterday and while it wasn't quite as impressive as the PC one I did the other day, primarily due to the resolution being noticeably lower, it was still very cool in some of the demos I tried. The BF deals that are supposedly $100 off normal price makes it not a bad deal, and my wife has been looking for something to get me for my birthday in 2 weeks!
post #5 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post
I just wanted to be able to sit in my normal comfortable chairs more than anything.
A couple other things to keep in mind are that not all PSVR games are comfy chair friendly (some expect you to stand, and some may require you to reach down and behind you), and the sweet spot for PSVR is a very specific distance from the camera (about 6 feet), and will start to fall apart quickly if you're too far away. So I've found that a comfortable folding chair is pretty much the only realistic solution, because you have to swap it in and out and be able to reach all around it.

- Jer
post #6 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
A couple other things to keep in mind are that not all PSVR games are comfy chair friendly (some expect you to stand, and some may require you to reach down and behind you), and the sweet spot for PSVR is a very specific distance from the camera (about 6 feet), and will start to fall apart quickly if you're too far away. So I've found that a comfortable folding chair is pretty much the only realistic solution, because you have to swap it in and out and be able to reach all around it.

- Jer
That is kind of what I'm thinking too and I already have foldout chairs in my HT for extra seats during sporting events. I am just concerned about gaming in them for a while as far as comfort goes. Maybe even just like an office chair or something would work.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM

I use a rolling, swiveling, arm-less desk chair (my PC desk is in the same room as the TV), which is easy to just roll into place, and allows me to swivel left, right, and 180 degrees if need be. Works great, although occasionally when I take the headset off I'll discover I'm facing a completely different direction than I thought I was, since it's so easy to turn*.

Are there really games that require standing up? I haven't stood up to play a PSVR game since I first got it - I did for Arkham VR, when I first got the set, because Batman is standing in the game, but even there the game explicitly asks you when you start if you're standing or sitting. I started out Farpoint standing up, since you can see your shadow standing up, but after the first session I switched to playing it in a chair - just too tiring standing up for long sessions.

I've seen people on YouTube play Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood (a must-buy for PSVR, as far as I'm concerned) standing up, but that's just crazy, since you're riding in a roller coaster car in the game. Why would you stand up in meatspace when you're sitting down in virtual space?

*actually, I guess one other downside I've discovered of the wheeled VR chair - without realizing it, if there's a jump scare, I may accidentally scoot the chair backward. At one point during Farpoint I found I kicked the chair far enough back that I hit the back wall.

Last edited by Evan E; 11-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I think I'll just bite the bullet and get it, and if I don't like how my setup is when running it, I will just return it. But I'm pretty sure I'll just keep it.

I played 3 demos yesterday at BB - Rom (some shooter), the VR experience thing that is cage diving, and then Moss.

The shooter was really lame. I didn't like it at all. But the underwater cage diving thing was really damn cool. If I get PSVR I'm going to get that and want to see my wife do that, she will get scared ****less lol. And then I played Moss which was a really cool cute little puzzle game where you control a mouse but also interact with stuff in the world by pulling and moving objects to solve puzzles. It had an awesome charm to it, and I was sad to see it isn't coming out until Feb 2018. The guy demo'ing it in BB said that it was already out on the PS Store lol. He even said it was a shorter game.

Now I Just got to find out if the new version is coming out soon. Might as well wait at this point to get the newer version if I'm going to get it. I was hoping the Skyrim bundle would be the new version but Sony hasn't said anything about when the new version will be out outside of Japan.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For what it's worth, the USB repeater extension cables that Oculus includes with the Rift camera work perfectly and don't cause any lag (which is crucial for VR). I'm not sure what brand of cable it is, but it definitely works. That cable is at least 12' long.

Something else to keep in mind; wireless VR is right around the corner. Search TPCast for Vive. It seems as though there will also be a Rift version pretty soon.

If your vision is excellent and you're susceptible to the "screen door effect", I'd recommend checking into the Samsung Odyssey Windows VR HMD. It has a much higher resolution display than the Rift or Vive, but it only supports SteamVR (and not even that yet, but very soon). If you want the widest array of games to play, buy a Rift. It's the easiest to set up and will give you the most options for games since you get the Oculus Store and SteamVR. Unfortunately, Skyrim VR is only available for PSVR so far. Fallout 4 VR is out soon, though. In my opinion, those type of games are where VR really shines.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Again, I don't have a PC capable of VR nor do I plan on getting one. I have no interest in PC VR at this point. The Samsung is the one I tried out at the MS store though that got me interested in general.

It looks like the Skyrim bundle actually is going to be the V2 of the PSVR. The PS blog has the info right in it:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...rim-vr-bundle/

Quote:
This bundle will come with the updated PS VR system featuring revised design that enables the stereo headphone cables to be integrated with the VR headset, and a slimmer, streamlined connection cable. The updated PS VR system also comes with a new Processor Unit that supports HDR pass through, enabling users to enjoy HDR-compatible PS4 content on a TV without having to disconnect the Processor Unit between the TV and the PS4.
So I'll probably end up getting one this weekend on the 19th once the $100 sale comes into play. I just have no interest in Skyrim though. I'd rather get one of the other bundles with that VR Worlds game or whatever, but I'm not sure when the version will be V2 with that bundle.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Again, I don't have a PC capable of VR nor do I plan on getting one. I have no interest in PC VR at this point. The Samsung is the one I tried out at the MS store though that got me interested in general.

It looks like the Skyrim bundle actually is going to be the V2 of the PSVR. The PS blog has the info right in it:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...rim-vr-bundle/

So I'll probably end up getting one this weekend on the 19th once the $100 sale comes into play. I just have no interest in Skyrim though. I'd rather get one of the other bundles with that VR Worlds game or whatever, but I'm not sure when the version will be V2 with that bundle.
Sorry, must have missed that in the thread. I own a PSVR and am happy with it, just wish the resolution was better since I get screen door effect pretty bad. I haven't read about the new version, hopefully it has a better display. If it does, I would absolutely wait.

Definitely check out Superhot, it's 75% puzzle/creative problem solving and 25% shooter and one of the best and most accessible VR experiences out there in my opinion. I would also check out Skyrim if you get a chance unless you already know you don't like Elder Scrolls games. It turns a lot of people off that generally don't like the whole dragons/magic/medieval thing, but it's an incredible game that you can really disappear into with VR.

Also, keep in mind that some of the best VR experiences are games that allow you to stand and move around a small (or large if you have the space) area. There are plenty of great sitting experiences, but my advice would be to not lock yourself into ONLY sitting experiences with the placement of your setup.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever route you choose; VR isn't just a gimmick, and too few people realize how awesome it can be and all the potential applications it has.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyTrevor View Post
Sorry, must have missed that in the thread. I own a PSVR and am happy with it, just wish the resolution was better since I get screen door effect pretty bad. I haven't read about the new version, hopefully it has a better display. If it does, I would absolutely wait.

Definitely check out Superhot, it's 75% puzzle/creative problem solving and 25% shooter and one of the best and most accessible VR experiences out there in my opinion. I would also check out Skyrim if you get a chance unless you already know you don't like Elder Scrolls games. It turns a lot of people off that generally don't like the whole dragons/magic/medieval thing, but it's an incredible game that you can really disappear into with VR.

Also, keep in mind that some of the best VR experiences are games that allow you to stand and move around a small (or large if you have the space) area. There are plenty of great sitting experiences, but my advice would be to not lock yourself into ONLY sitting experiences with the placement of your setup.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever route you choose; VR isn't just a gimmick, and too few people realize how awesome it can be and all the potential applications it has.
I agree about the resolution. When I played it yesterday, the first thing I noticed was that the resolution was not as high as the Samsung one I did the day before. I saw anti aliasing big time and I could literally "see" the pixels. That said, it was still a very cool experience. I also think that the demo unit I used was a bit dirty and it wasn't really set great for my head. Like I could see my shirt down below on the right side in my FOV so that kind of took me out of it a bit. I'm sure if I was at home and could adjust it a bit more I could get it fitting properly. I also noticed how it took a little wiggling to get the lenses in focus for me, and I was also wearing my glasses while playing.

I plan on getting it from Amazon and I already asked them what the return policy is, and they said I can return it in 30 days if I don't like it. So in the off case I don't like it in my own home and comfort, I can at least return it.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM

I would definitely get the v.2, because the v.1 breakout box can't pass HDR signals to your TV. Probably not an issue with your projector (last I looked most projectors aren't doing HDR), but might be in the future. Right now, people with HDR displays and PSVR have to unplug the whole mess whenever they finish playing with the headset.

It's likely that once you have it in your home you'll figure out how to adjust the headset on your head to get a better picture than what you saw in a store demo; in addition to that, the Playstation OS actually has a setting where you can use the camera to let it know how far apart your pupils are, which I'm sure they skipped in the store. The PSVR has a lower-resolution screen than many of the PC-oriented headsets, but a lot of people have said the pixels have less black between them, giving you a lower-res but smoother image.

In case you haven't checked it out, the VR forum has some recommendations for PSVR games. Off the top of my head, in no particular order, I've particularly enjoyed:
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Star Trek: Bridge Simulator
  • Rez Infinite
  • Headmaster
  • Batman: Arkham VR
  • I Expect You To Die
  • Wayward Sky
  • Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
  • Tumble VR
  • Statik
  • GNOG
  • Farpoint

The shark cage demo is part of the first Demo Disc Sony released - it's free for the download on the Playstation Store, as is the just-released second demo disc (which has Moss on it). It's a demo of "Playstation VR Worlds", which was a collection of five mini-games (well, the shark cage is more an experience than a game), three of which are good, one is kind of queasiness-inducing (street bobsledding), and one of which is almost guaranteed to be a chunderfest (Scavenger's Odyssey). That last one is especially annoying, because it seems like a good game, with great graphics for a launch title, but you really need to have a bucket ready.

Last edited by Evan E; 11-13-2017 at 10:57 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I actually think I'll get the PSVR Skyrim bundle and I may try to get rid of Skyrim. Or I may give it a shot. In general I'm not a big fan of those types of games (Fallout, Skyrim, Morrowind, etc) but I dunno, maybe it's cool with the VR. I just don't have patience for any of that stuff generally speaking and would rather play other games. Also considering VR Worlds is only $20 to buy, it makes more sense to get the bundle with Skyrim if they are the same price, then just offload Skyrim and get VR Worlds.

I wonder if I just get the Skyrim bundle from Amazon to be delivered on Friday, if they will have the price drop and just match the price difference on the 19th. I don't know if they will be one of the "official" sellers that are discounting the price though.

I'll check out some of those games though thanks for the heads up. I plan on getting Moss when it comes out in February too I really enjoyed the demo of it.

Now I'll have to see if I should get some cones for sound or if ear buds will be immersive enough that come with the headset.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
I use a rolling, swiveling, arm-less desk chair (my PC desk is in the same room as the TV), which is easy to just roll into place, and allows me to swivel left, right, and 180 degrees if need be. Works great, although occasionally when I take the headset off I'll discover I'm facing a completely different direction than I thought I was, since it's so easy to turn*.

Are there really games that require standing up? I haven't stood up to play a PSVR game since I first got it - I did for Arkham VR, when I first got the set, because Batman is standing in the game, but even there the game explicitly asks you when you start if you're standing or sitting. I started out Farpoint standing up, since you can see your shadow standing up, but after the first session I switched to playing it in a chair - just too tiring standing up for long sessions.

I've seen people on YouTube play Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood (a must-buy for PSVR, as far as I'm concerned) standing up, but that's just crazy, since you're riding in a roller coaster car in the game. Why would you stand up in meatspace when you're sitting down in virtual space?

*actually, I guess one other downside I've discovered of the wheeled VR chair - without realizing it, if there's a jump scare, I may accidentally scoot the chair backward. At one point during Farpoint I found I kicked the chair far enough back that I hit the back wall.
I'll just add that Until Dawn is one of the free games for PSPlus subscribers this month, so definitely make sure you grab it before it's gone even if you plan to wait for BF or Xmas for the PSVR.
Evan E likes this.

Getting ready for the jump into full-on theater build
post #16 of 18 Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Good catch! Rush Of Blood is fun both to play and to watch - I've really enjoyed seeing friends scream like little girls and almost tip their chair over as they recoil in fear.

While it's playable with a Dualshock, I recommend playing it with two Move controllers so you can dual-wield, simultaneously shooting at different targets.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah I actually think I'll get the PSVR Skyrim bundle and I may try to get rid of Skyrim. Or I may give it a shot. In general I'm not a big fan of those types of games (Fallout, Skyrim, Morrowind, etc) but I dunno, maybe it's cool with the VR. I just don't have patience for any of that stuff generally speaking and would rather play other games. Also considering VR Worlds is only $20 to buy, it makes more sense to get the bundle with Skyrim if they are the same price, then just offload Skyrim and get VR Worlds.

I wonder if I just get the Skyrim bundle from Amazon to be delivered on Friday, if they will have the price drop and just match the price difference on the 19th. I don't know if they will be one of the "official" sellers that are discounting the price though.

I'll check out some of those games though thanks for the heads up. I plan on getting Moss when it comes out in February too I really enjoyed the demo of it.

Now I'll have to see if I should get some cones for sound or if ear buds will be immersive enough that come with the headset.
Hello Purbeast! I know this is an old thread but wanted to check on your PSVR experience. We kind of have the same home set-up (instead I have 79" 4K Sony wall mounted) and have all my components wired up and set-up off to the side of my family room. I wanted to get PSVR but one my my main concern was there seem to be no long enough wire to put the PS camera on top of my TV. I probably need 15 feet or more. I did this with my old Kinect camera and ran wires through the wall for a clean look. I have PS4 Pro, Playseat Challenge/Thrustmaster TC300RS/Gran Turismo Sport for my racing urge/needs and PSVR is the last on my list to get. My other option is just face towards my home theater cabinet and set-up the camera there and I could easily rotate my racing seat facing it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but pretty much wondering if you kept the PSVR and have you used it enough over these months. I'm worried I may get it and not end up using too much. I currently have a hold notice at Gamestop for the Skyrim bundle.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-01-2018, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
60 PSVR GAMES of 2019 in ONE video

youtube.com/watch?v=_c4GYv5Yl8E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page