Harmony Ultimate w/Hub and PS4 Pro - Is a PDP required? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rontalley
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EricU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Harmony Ultimate w/Hub and PS4 Pro - Is a PDP required?

I just purchased a Sony PS4 Pro that we use for our home theater for online viewing (Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime etc).

I currently have a Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate Remote w/Hub. Currently it controls the Marantz AVR SR7007 and a JVC X30 projector.

All of the AV gear is inside a dedicated closet that does not have line of site. I use a Sewell IR repeater to send the IR signals from the Hub to the cabinet mounted equipment and the projector receives the IR signals fine from the hub which is mounted outside of the cabinet.

I have not yet tried to connect the Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate to the PS4 Pro as I am about to redo all of my home's router access points with Ubiquity products and would like to wait until after that is completed.

I have read a few threads on whether or not the Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate will control the PS4 Pro (including the on/off function) and am currently a little confused.

* Do I need to (or should I) purchase one of the Sony PDP IR emitters?

My ultimate goal is to have voice commands over an Alexa that controls a "Movie Time" activity - Drops down the screen, dims the lights through the Caseta switches, turns on the PJ, AVR and PS4 - Then also turns everything off after having the lights dim for exit of the room.


Thanks for any help.
EricU is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
I just purchased a Sony PS4 Pro that we use for our home theater for online viewing (Netflix, HBO GO, Amazon Prime etc).

I currently have a Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate Remote w/Hub. Currently it controls the Marantz AVR SR7007 and a JVC X30 projector.

All of the AV gear is inside a dedicated closet that does not have line of site. I use a Sewell IR repeater to send the IR signals from the Hub to the cabinet mounted equipment and the projector receives the IR signals fine from the hub which is mounted outside of the cabinet.

I have not yet tried to connect the Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate to the PS4 Pro as I am about to redo all of my home's router access points with Ubiquity products and would like to wait until after that is completed.

I have read a few threads on whether or not the Harmony N-R0007 Ultimate will control the PS4 Pro (including the on/off function) and am currently a little confused.

* Do I need to (or should I) purchase one of the Sony PDP IR emitters?

My ultimate goal is to have voice commands over an Alexa that controls a "Movie Time" activity - Drops down the screen, dims the lights through the Caseta switches, turns on the PJ, AVR and PS4 - Then also turns everything off after having the lights dim for exit of the room.


Thanks for any help.

You will need the PDP adapter to turn the PS4 on. The Harmony Hub can't do this on it's own per Sony's asinine policy. It's silly, but it is what it is.


On the upside, the PDP adapter does a competent job of controlling the PS4, so I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the end result. The only thing I had to really mess around with in order to get things working reliably was the Power Off macro, but that may be down to my particular setup.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Interesting, I purchased another Hub to control my Son’s TV and new PS4 Plus. I assumed it would work just like the PS3 which used Bluetooth. Dang
Muphasta likes this.
rontalley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EricU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face PDP it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
You will need the PDP adapter to turn the PS4 on. The Harmony Hub can't do this on it's own per Sony's asinine policy. It's silly, but it is what it is.


On the upside, the PDP adapter does a competent job of controlling the PS4, so I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the end result. The only thing I had to really mess around with in order to get things working reliably was the Power Off macro, but that may be down to my particular setup.

Nillaz, Thank you for the clarification!


Do you remember how you setup the PDP, Hub and PS4?


Seems like I read somewhere that in the PS4 settings that you need to remove the Harmony Hub device then add the PDP? Does that sound correct?


Thanks again for the specific help!!
EricU is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Interesting, I purchased another Hub to control my Son’s TV and new PS4 Plus. I assumed it would work just like the PS3 which used Bluetooth. Dang

Your hub can control the PS4 via bluetooth, it just can't turn it on. Sony refuses to let any unlicensed peripheral turn on their console.



Alternatively you can let the television turn on the PS4 via Bravia Sync, but CEC and Harmony devices are notoriously finicky when used together.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Nillaz, Thank you for the clarification!


Do you remember how you setup the PDP, Hub and PS4?


Seems like I read somewhere that in the PS4 settings that you need to remove the Harmony Hub device then add the PDP? Does that sound correct?


Thanks again for the specific help!!

No problem, happy to help as best as I can.



Setup was relatively straightforward. I do not have the Harmony hub paired directly with the PS4 and am not sure if this is possible or if it would create conflicts. There is only one button on the PDP adapter which is used to sync it with the PS4. After doing this I added the adapter to my Harmony configuration (it's called the PDP IR adapter for PS4) and redid my Playstation activity.



As far as I know there is no discrete code for shutting down the PS4 so I had to make a macro for it, and I did this using the PC software, not the Harmony app. Under the PDP device (not PS4 activity) select change device settings. Choose power settings. Select I want to turn off device when not in use. Select I use 2 different buttons for power. Go under power off commands and create your macro. You might have to mess with button press durations and inter key delays a bit to get something that works reliably. I'd give you my macro, but since the PS side menu is customizable your list of commands probably won't be the same as mine and thus won't function correctly.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EricU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
...Setup was relatively straightforward. I do not have the Harmony hub paired directly with the PS4 and am not sure if this is possible or if it would create conflicts. There is only one button on the PDP adapter which is used to sync it with the PS4. After doing this I added the adapter to my Harmony configuration (it's called the PDP IR adapter for PS4) and redid my Playstation activity.
Awesome! Thanks again. I already ordered one and it should be here Friday, hopefully I will have some time this weekend to mess with it.


Quote:
As far as I know there is no discrete code for shutting down the PS4...
How ridiculous is that of Sony???


Quote:
...so I had to make a macro for it, and I did this using the PC software, not the Harmony app.
What PC software for which component?


Quote:
Under the PDP device (not PS4 activity) select change device settings. Choose power settings. Select I want to turn off device when not in use. Select I use 2 different buttons for power. Go under power off commands and create your macro. You might have to mess with button press durations and inter key delays a bit to get something that works reliably. I'd give you my macro, but since the PS side menu is customizable your list of commands probably won't be the same as mine and thus won't function correctly.
I kind of got lost here, but hopefully with the unit in front of me it will make more sense or...expect more questions!!!


Thanks again! Great direct to the point help!
EricU is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Awesome! Thanks again. I already ordered one and it should be here Friday, hopefully I will have some time this weekend to mess with it.



How ridiculous is that of Sony???



What PC software for which component?



I kind of got lost here, but hopefully with the unit in front of me it will make more sense or...expect more questions!!!


Thanks again! Great direct to the point help!

Logitech makes both the Harmony app and PC software (MyHarmony) for configuring Harmony remotes. I find configuring things on the app to be a pain in the ass so I use the PC software. If you use the PC software to configure it my directions will make sense. On the app YMMV.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply PlayStation Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off