PS5 Specs confirmed By Sony & AMD! Wow it's a beast! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I think for the first time in my life, I'm not buying this at launch. I'm going to wait and see. For me personally the PS4 was a flop. My launch PS4 was dead on arrival, and it's replacement was as well. It took almost 2 months to get a working replacement, then after about 4 games the controller fell apart, and the thing was starting to sound like a hair dryer and I was afraid it was going to die. I traded it for a PS4 Pro, which has also been unstable, and yes they have plenty of air on top of a table by themselves in a ac controlled room. But that's not my main reason. My main reason is complete lack of games. Even to this day. My Ps4 Pro Sits unused since I bought Spiderman on sale last xmas...as in xmas 2018! Every now and then I'll power it up, check the store, and turn it off. Besides some old games from the PS3 days I replayed like tlou, what exactly have I played on it? God of War which was superb, Uncharted games also Superb, Horizon/expansion and again Superb....and that's it. I think I played MGS via PS+ which was also a waste of money for the year I had it, oh and Clank, that was cute.

So half a dozen games or so for 2 systems I bought.....disappointing. Clearly I hate multiplayer and only play single player. Everything else I played on the Xbox X. 4K, Atmos, better controller, Gamepass is basically a dollar all the time. My Xbox 1 is played constantly by the woman for working out....just dance and stuff, and my Xbox X is used constantly if not for games, streaming and movies via blu ray. Xbox had a rough start no doubt, but it eventually pulled me away from my PC. Not saying Xbox has loads of games either, as this generation has been a failure on both camps for more new games. But If I have to choose one, right now it's the new Xbox. If Sony refuses yet again to change the hand cramping dualshock yet again, that alone is enough for me to pass on the PS5 at launch. I'll wait for it to dive in cost, some actual games to come out for it, or wait it out for a PS5+ since I learnt my lesson the last time around with the pathetic PS4 barely able to do 1080p with no blu ray, no ir remote control ability, poor battery in the controller...to this day. Yes I have a Harmony Elite which works FAR better on the xbox.

So they can promise the world to us again...but I'm not biting this time. Fool me once, fool me twice.... now have to earn my money with GAMES! This is just my opinion...and I am known to be weak for new toys so ya never know but for right now my thoughts are ...I'm gonna pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-07-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I think for the first time in my life, I'm not buying this at launch. I'm going to wait and see.
Exact opposite for me. I'll buy the PS5 at launch because Sony has always been my favorite for consoles. This will likely be the first time I don't buy Microsoft's new gaming system. Since Xbox is releasing all their games on PC as well, I can play the 2-3 games I ever typically buy for Xbox on PC instead. Everything else will be on PS5. Sony definitely has the better single player games in their library, which is where I want to be from day one and on.
hockeynut and newfmp3 like this.
post #33 of 40 Old 01-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Agreed. Playing Xbox games on PC means I don’t have to fork over money for an Xbox. I really only need Halo and Gears of War. I may be in the minority but I’ve never cared much for Xbox controllers.

I’m really not much of a PC gamer and a lot of good PC games have made their way to PS4 this gen. I don’t really play many single player games anymore. For me, the experience is multiplayer or online co-op. If it were just for exclusives I don’t think I would buy either console. But if you haven’t played Alienation on PS4, go play it right now. It’s easily one of my favorite titles this gen. I believe it’s only on PS4.

PS5 will also address 3D audio processing. It’s definitely been a gripe of mine on PS4. Then again, I am curious if 3D audio processing for headphone will be supported via USB, or if Sony will force you to use the 3.5mm out from the controller to get 3D audio processing. Hopefully, it’s via USB or both.

I’m also waiting to see what resolutions will be supported and things like VRR. I know QHD is a PC monitor resolution, but I’d really like to see 1440p support and VRR greater than 60Hz.

PS4 has been a great console for me. The fact you can open it up and replace the HD with a 2TB has been awesome. The DS4 IMO is the best controller ever made. The DS5 looks to improve on that. It has also been stated that the DS4 will work with the PS5. If I play long enough for the battery to get low, I either swap controllers or plug in a 10ft usb extension cable and charge while playing. Really not an issue either way as I get close to 8 hours before needing a charge.

My main gripe about PlayStation is that the PS Store is absolute garbage. My library for PS4 is all-digital, and navigating through the store is painstakingly sluggish. It will also sometimes freeze up and kick you back to the homepage of the PS Store. It’s frustrating when browsing through thousands of games. I really hope the new UI on PS5 is snappier, and that the filter/sort criteria is better. Also, I don’t want to have to pull up the game description page and scroll all the way to the bottom just to see if it’s single player, multiplayer, online co-op, local co-op, etc. Just place an icon for each that applies to the game (similar to Steam). Also, find a way to show me detailed co-op info. Is it campaign co-op, or just co-op modes? Right now there’s not a way to do that without researching online for each title.

While it’s not a blind buy for me, I do plan on purchasing a PS5 within a few months post launch. I’ll let them work some of the initial bugs out via firmware before purchasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 01-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
Exact opposite for me. I'll buy the PS5 at launch because Sony has always been my favorite for consoles. This will likely be the first time I don't buy Microsoft's new gaming system. Since Xbox is releasing all their games on PC as well, I can play the 2-3 games I ever typically buy for Xbox on PC instead. Everything else will be on PS5. Sony definitely has the better single player games in their library, which is where I want to be from day one and on.
This is kind of where I'm at. Just built a gaming pc last month, so I can get ms titles, plus stream them to any TV in my house.

Will wait to see what exclusives ps5 gets and then maybe pull the trigger.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #35 of 40 Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I know it's not the right thread for this but I could have sworn that I heard something about backwards compatibility to previous generations of the Playstation.

This space for rent!
post #36 of 40 Old 01-15-2020, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
I know it's not the right thread for this but I could have sworn that I heard something about backwards compatibility to previous generations of the Playstation.

Read post # 2

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #37 of 40 Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Latest leak from reddit:

The event:

-The event will be held at the Sony hall theatre on the 12th of February. Expect a short teaser to come out in the next two weeks.

-The press already knows about it and they will be able to test games and write articles. There will be a lot of news and iterviews with key figures like Mark Cerny and Hermen Hulst.

-The event will be presented by Geoff Keighley and it will be a very big show. After all you have to consider that Sony has been quiet for quite sometime now.

-Sony's strategy has been that not to reveal everything in one shot. Things like price, launch date and shape of the console will still be unknown after the PS meeting.

Specs:

-CPU: 8 core/16 threads at 3.6 ghz based on a Zen 2 architecture

-GPU: "Big Navi"/RDNA1 based with some features from RDNA2 like RT and VRS, 12.2 TF at 1.8 ghz

-Memory: 18GB DDR6 at 576gb/s and 4gb of DDR4 for the OS (Sorry HBM believers)

-1 TB SSD. The SSD is a proprietary solution similar to a cartridge and you will be able to purchase them separately in a way similar to an old memory card from the PS2 era(1tb, 2tb and 3 tb variants). It is very fast: 5gb/s

-It has a separate RT core just for the audio, this is something that Cerny and the audio people at Sony (Audiokinetic) insisted on. A new headphones will be made from Sony, specifically designed for the ray traced audio in PS5 games.

-Overall, the PS5 is a much more balanced machine than the PS4 pro. This is much more important than just brute force as devs will be able squeeze much much more from the hardware.

Games:

-First game announced for the PS5 will be from Bluepoint, Demon's Souls.

The trailer will start with a dragon flying through the ruins of an ancient city before landing on a bridge destroying part of it, the camera will then move to a character in a knight armor. The dragon will spit fire at the knight that will be parrying it with his shield.

The trailer ends with a voice saying "The old one is calling for thee" revealing the Demon's souls logo, available at launch.

Very impressive tech on showcase:, RT reflection all over the knight's armor

-Ubisoft will announce their new AC title, Assasin's Creed: Kingdom. As you already know it is set in northern europe with historical and mythological elements. The trailer is not really a trailer but a long gameplay (10+ mins).

The game focuses on being a better RPG than its predecessors with multiple endings and more meaningful choices for better roleplay. Immersion is also a big focus, Ubisoft has created a believable world based on the kingdom of Ragnar Sigurdsson (better known as Lothbrok) as king of Denmark.

NPCs have realistic routines and behaviours based on multiple situations they can be found in (finding shelter from the rain, fleeing their village after a raid from enemy soldiers are some examples).

All animations have been enhanced. Now the main character (male or female like in Odyssey) moves differently based on the enviroments they are in. Animations are really similar to something you can find in a ND game with the character touching the wall at their side if they get to close it or struggling to walk through snow or mud.

As many other games, AC:Kingdom will use the haptic triggers to simulate the action of pulling the rope of a bow or swinging an heavy weapon.

There are levels, but they are handled like in Skyrim or Kingdom come where you don't require a certain level to enter an area or fight a boss. Here you can access the whole world from the start and fight all the enemies, of course it will be very hard because your character will be very unexperienced and at first they will handle certain weapons with struggle, it will get better the more they use them.

I got mentioned something about ray tracing being used to eliminate clipping of the various clothes on the character's bodies, but I don't know anything other than it may be a thing on the next gen versions of the game.

Available at launch, but after the current gen versions.

-Gran Turismo 7 will be announced featuring full VR and RT support, native 4k and 60 fps. It will be a technical showcase for the console. Available at launch.

It features a single player carreer like the old GT games and a multiplayer mode similar to the sport mode in GT sport. The partnership with the FIA continues and the one with Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes becomes even stronger (Lewis and the Mercedes brand are on the cover of the game and a big part of the single player carreer).

-New R&C game announced from Insomniac. Full RT support and sequel to the remake, but part of a new trilogy. Semi-open world with pilotable ships. It looks even more like a Pixar movie, this time on a way bigger scale. Available in 2021

-Capcom will show a demo of their updated RE engine and announce Dragon's Dogma 2 exclusively on the PS5. Deep Down was not all to waste and Capcom wisely decided to build upon it and create this new DD. It's a really impressive game technically. Full open world with fights and monsters similar to a Monster Hunter game. It will run at 60 fps on PS5.

It's unclear if the exclusivity deal has a limit or not. I'm willing to bet it will come out on Xbox Series X/S after a while

-Shuhei Yoshida will showcase lots of indies coming to PS4 and PS5 as part of the new "PS❤Indies" intiative at SIE. Games such as: Sky:children of the light, Inaka project, a new game from Jonathan Blow, Lost Soul aside and the new game from Ken Levine studio (not really an indie, but it will still be present in this short segment).

-TLOU: Factions will be revealed, coming to PS4, PS5 and PC these holidays. It is a multiplayer only title made to replace the "Factions" mode of the original TLOU. It features an open world similar to games like DayZ, but with the love and care that you can expect expect from a team like ND.

It will feature: different seasons like Forza Horizon 4 (each will come with its pros and cons), clan support, a battle pass, a fully destructible map, lots of depth for roleplay (players will be able to cover various roles in their games: doctors, bounty hunters, traders, mercenaries for the various groups of players, soldiers ecc.), the players will be able to build camps and even "addomesticate" clickers and runners. 4k/60 with RT audio on PS5 and 1080 30 on PS4/pro. Cross play is being experimented (the difference in framerate may be an issue).

-Sony reveals a new team based in San Diego and their new game, Uncharted. A sequel to U4, but with different characters and a few cameos from the old games. Just a teaser will be shown featuring exotic locations from all around the world and glimpses at veichles both aerial and terrestrial. No release date given.

-Activision announces Crash Bandicoot:worlds on PS4 and PS5 for then end of the year (think Mario galaxy, but with Crash Bandiccot) and confirms that COD will be back at the end of the year on PS5 and in partnership with PS once again.

-Square Enix shows an impressive tech demo of a new version of the luminous engine featuring RT shadows, reflections and lighting along with 4k textures and realistic facial animations. Very reminiscent of the aestethic you can find in a FF game, but no real announcement is made (for now).

-Guerilla announces Killzone: Breach. A mp only title for PS5 and PC. The influence from games like R6 can be seen a lot during the trailer. Full destructible enviroment and a "War" mode that features up to 80 players in a fully destructible arena (Remember that first Crackdown 3 demo?). Available at launch.

-Mark Cerny announces full backwards compatibility with PS4/3/2/1/VR and that PS Vita and PSP are in the works. The PS4/2/1 whole lineup will be fully compatible from launch. As for PS3 games, they will be made compatible regularly by Sony in a way similar to how Xbox already does it on Xbox One with 360 games. All the games will receive technical enhancments like 4k resolution, better AA and 60 fps. Demos for TLOU 2, RDR1, Jak 2 and the original GT are shown briefly.

-Last announcement will be a small teaser with in-game graphics of Horizon 2. The teaser shows an older Aloy meditating on the top of a Mountain before being attacked by a huge machine and hijacking a thunderbird in order to ride it and fly around the huge machine to fight it. 2021

-Please note that all games that I've listed are exclusive to the PS5 unless I've said otherwise.

-Don't expect any PSVR2 news. VR will be mentioned as you can see, but it is still a bit early for PSVR2.

Link:

http://removeddit.com./r/GamingLeaks..._meeting_info/
G-Rex, DaverJ, UdoG and 1 others like this.
post #38 of 40 Old 01-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Interesting. As the PSP and Vita do not use a standard media disc, how are they going to pull that off? Unless they mean it will play emulated games you buy from the PlayStation Store.

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
post #39 of 40 Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post
Latest leak from reddit:

-Mark Cerny announces full backwards compatibility with PS4/3/2/1/VR and that PS Vita and PSP are in the works. The PS4/2/1 whole lineup will be fully compatible from launch. As for PS3 games, they will be made compatible regularly by Sony in a way similar to how Xbox already does it on Xbox One with 360 games. All the games will receive technical enhancments like 4k resolution, better AA and 60 fps. Demos for TLOU 2, RDR1, Jak 2 and the original GT are shown briefly.
If they can get this to work then I will buy one because then I can have my PS2 and 3 as backup machines. The Vita and PSP I am not worried about. The only thing that worries me is Sony pulling one of their stunts like the memory stick crap.

This space for rent!
post #40 of 40 Old 01-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That leak sounds too good to be true, but I'm hoping it's legitimate! If it is there's so much being announced that I'll certainly be buying. In fact, I'm a fan of almost everything named on that post.

I'm very curious (and a bit scared) to see what a 3TB SSD will cost for the PS5, but I'm almost certain I'll be buying it so I can load up a lot of games on the internal drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page