PS5 More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By TedSeattle
  • 2 Post By Epyon415
  • 2 Post By TedSeattle
  • 1 Post By Radio81
  • 2 Post By letmepicyou only

post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
PS5 More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett?

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
PS 5 will continue to have exclusive 1st and 2nd party games, will require a console if you want to play them. Xbox 2 games will continue to be available on PC/Steam.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Sure, the big difference going into the 4th gen of xbox hardware is that all games will be shared with PC. At the launch of xbox one that wasn't the case, if you wanted to play the xb1 exclusives you needed an xb1. If your PC has a decent GPU you should be all set fof the next gen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Interesting question.

Considering features are similar and launch date for both is 2020, except for rumors of a early PS5 launch, they should be about equal if retail price point is similar. So less than 1 TF difference with Sony writing to the metal and Microsoft, as in the past, using a VM to make it easier to support forward and backwards compatibility. All things being equal this would give the PS5 a slight advantage for PS5 games but at the same time more difficulty in supporting PS5 games on PS4 and PS4 games on the PS5.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Here's an interesting take on the XBox/PS5 situation:

DaverJ likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
Here's an interesting take on the XBox/PS5 situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKOv9SSg05Q

Call me too old fashion, skeptical or just out of touch, but consoles and gaming will never be separate. The industry has tried and failed before to make other forms of gaming "a thing". This endeavor MSFT and Google are going down will only be as successful, in this current era, as ISPs will tolerate. Data caps in this country are going to impact people's tolerance for streaming. As much as I have heard optimists try to claim that these companies will manage data and compression in a way that should limit overages, it doesn't factor nor control all aspects of an individuals streaming habits (netflix, youtube, hulu, data downloads, etc.). Additionally there is an assumption that most people's internal networks are optimized to support all of this in a good way (looking at you wireless saturation).

As the video states the success of the platform will be known once everything launches, but this belief that we truly are headed for an all streaming based experience is imo a grave mistake. Habits are hard to break. People like their sense of ownership and control, even if it is false.

As for the op, did this gen even optimize and utilize the capabilities of the hardware? PC gaming hardware boasts some crazy specs comparative to recent previous generations, but games still look pretty much the same. Character models, environments, AI haven't really evolved beyond what we saw last gen honestly. Besides attempting to provide consistent 60fps how likely will Scarlett or PS5 evolve the gaming environment?
Radio81 and jeff_rigby like this.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Etc: Epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Video
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I'm skeptical about game streaming as well (and personally I'll buy consoles and physical media for as long as they keep making them). But one thing I found interesting about the video is the idea that Microsoft is placing two separate bets. If game streaming takes off, it doesn't matter how powerful the Scarlett console is. If game streaming doesn't take off, then Scarlett will allow it to compete with the PS5.
jeff_rigby and Epyon415 like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Call me too old fashion, skeptical or just out of touch, but consoles and gaming will never be separate. The industry has tried and failed before to make other forms of gaming "a thing". This endeavor MSFT and Google are going down will only be as successful, in this current era, as ISPs will tolerate. Data caps in this country are going to impact people's tolerance for streaming. As much as I have heard optimists try to claim that these companies will manage data and compression in a way that should limit overages, it doesn't factor nor control all aspects of an individuals streaming habits (netflix, youtube, hulu, data downloads, etc.). Additionally there is an assumption that most people's internal networks are optimized to support all of this in a good way (looking at you wireless saturation).

As the video states the success of the platform will be known once everything launches, but this belief that we truly are headed for an all streaming based experience is imo a grave mistake. Habits are hard to break. People like their sense of ownership and control, even if it is false.

As for the op, did this gen even optimize and utilize the capabilities of the hardware? PC gaming hardware boasts some crazy specs comparative to recent previous generations, but games still look pretty much the same. Character models, environments, AI haven't really evolved beyond what we saw last gen honestly. Besides attempting to provide consistent 60fps how likely will Scarlett or PS5 evolve the gaming environment?
I couldn’t agree more with this. I imagine quite a bit of the rural United States is not going to have the speed needed for game streaming. Or if you’re like me, you have the speed, but you’re limited by a 1TB data cap. In an age where streaming video services are the norm, the data cap is already a concern. Throw in streaming videogames, and well, for me it’s a non-starter. I’d have to pay my ISP an additional $50/month to avoid the data cap. That costs me more in the long run than money spent upfront on consoles.

I’m not keen on paying $60 for a stream-only accessible game. I am also not of the type that plays games on a cell phone or tablet, so that feature is of no use to me. This gen I’ve gone strictly with digital download for all games, and while (like you said) this may be a false sense of ownership, there’s still the part where I’m not dependent on internet to play most of the games I’ve downloaded.

About 4-5 years ago I lived out of a hotel for a few months when I was working remotely. Even on sub-3Mbps hotel internet I was able to play whatever Call Of Duty multiplayer was out at the time on PS4. Will I be able to do that with game streaming? Extremely doubtful.
Epyon415 likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
PS 5 will continue to have exclusive 1st and 2nd party games, will require a console if you want to play them. Xbox 2 games will continue to be available on PC/Steam.

And that right there is why I'm way more likely to get a ps5

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ok see, it's posts like this that lead console makers to ignore REAL gamer needs while focusing on how many "flops" it can do.
I'm going to date myself here.
My first console system was "Pong". So if there is any question as to my "gamer street cred"...
So I tend to consider myself a sort-of benchmark when it comes to "what do gamers want?".
First and foremost, I don't give a rat's patooey how many flops a system can perform. I'm not using it to crunch pi, I'm using it to play games.
First and foremost, as a gamer I want innovative features never before offered and I want them to be features that say "drag the gamer and non-gamer alike into this experience."
You know exactly what I'm talking about if you started on Pong, where I did, and made it all the way to loading up Gran Theft Auto 3 for the first time. It was a new and immersive experience.
Not unlike Ultima or King's Quest before it.
Want to know what I want has a gamer?
I want those dual display outputs to be able to drive two monitors for independent 2 player gameplay. That's right. I want to play vs. my buddy sitting next to me. But I don't want to have to give up half my screen to do it.

That's one.

I want...*taps mic* are you listening, Sony?...FULL KEYBOARD AND MOUSE SUPPORT SO ALL GAMES CAN BE PLAYED CROSS PLATFORM. I want to be able to CHOOSE if I play with a controller, keyboard & mouse, or whatever else.

And speaking on controllers...

*taps mic again to get Sony's attention*...Logitech, you listening too? Having to buy a G29 to replace my G27 WHICH WORKED PERFECTLY F*&^** FINE WAS NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. If that fiasco repeats with PS5? If either Sony or Logitech thinks I'm buying a G31 to replace my G29 to play Gran Turismo Super Sport or wtf ever they call it? Here is a promise. I WILL BUY NEITHER.

It's nice to sit around patting ourselves on the back for "making the correct console choice because PS5 does so many more flops than the new xbox". But can I say, just for a second, BIG DEAL, and lets see if we can get the console makers to address some GLARING ISSUES that have been haunting gaming and get some features sorely missed implemented, because I think THAT is a much more useful area to focus on rather than...my console does more flops than YOUR console.

Just sayin.
kamouflage and VidPro like this.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmepicyou only View Post
I'm going to date myself here.
My first console system was "Pong".
I never owned one, but my friend did and one day he said check out what my dad bought. Pong! Hooked on gaming ever since. Ah the memories.

I love new console season!

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page