The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TedSeattle

post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series

Has anyone played these games, either years ago on the PS3 or more recently on the PS4?

I recently became aware of this series when talking with others about turn based RPGs, and when I saw that Part 3 was slated to be released on the PS4 in September I decided to buy the previous two.

So far loving it, but I'm not a fan of the school aspect. Kinda has a Persona 5 feel where you were so limited in what you could do. Go outside, look at something or talk to one person, and then be forced to go to bed. Rinse and repeat throughout the school year.
The combat though is what I have been looking for in quite some time. IMHO, Grandia 3 had the best turn based combat I ever played as you could move all around the battlefield instead of the boring stand in a line across from the enemy. This is pretty much the same as that game.

Just curious if anyone else has played, or is currently playing these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I'm playing the first game on my Vita. It's taking me a while, because I typically only play when I'm traveling, so there are long intervals between my play sessions that cause me to lose momentum. I do like the game, and figure I'll buy the sequels on the PS4 so that I won't lose momentum while playing those.

The school calendar absolutely gives the game a Persona feel (I played 4 on the Vita), but I don't mind it. I don't think I really understand the combat system, though; I have no idea how to arrangement of the quartz affects the characters' abilities. My favorite JRPG combat system is the one in Valkyria Chronicles, which combines turn-based with real-time combat.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
I'm playing the first game on my Vita. It's taking me a while, because I typically only play when I'm traveling, so there are long intervals between my play sessions that cause me to lose momentum. I do like the game, and figure I'll buy the sequels on the PS4 so that I won't lose momentum while playing those.

The school calendar absolutely gives the game a Persona feel (I played 4 on the Vita), but I don't mind it. I don't think I really understand the combat system, though; I have no idea how to arrangement of the quartz affects the characters' abilities. My favorite JRPG combat system is the one in Valkyria Chronicles, which combines turn-based with real-time combat.
I tried the demo of Valkyria Chronicles as it was highly recommended here, but I just couldn't get into it.

Quick question back to Cold Steel. Early in the game the party is broken into two teams to go investigate separate areas. The team the main character (Rean) is in has 4 members. I noticed those other 3 just happened to be the 3 I bonded with the day before. Was that just coincidence or did the game choose the team based on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's just coincidence. From what I can tell, when the class splits into teams, the teams are fixed as part of the scripted storyline.
Tom Imp likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Two more question as you and I seem to be the only ones who have played this game.

First, before I get to the point of having a full party with reserves, do you know if the reserves gain as much experience during a fight if they don't actually get put in? I think it was Final Fantasy X where your reserve members would get nothing, so I constantly had to bring everyone in for at least a round. It got to be very monotonous.

Second, do you get to buy new, stronger weapons throughout the game or do you stick with your original and just strengthen it? I've been holding off on making my current ones stronger in case better ones are coming in some shop.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the reserve members will level up even if you don't use them in the fight. The only difference I've noticed is that you won't be able to increase your link level as much with characters you don't use; your link level goes up if you're linked with someone at the conclusion of a fight.

And yes, you do get to buy better weapons from vendors throughout the game. I didn't buy them every single time because I wasn't sure it was the best use of my money, but I have bought better weapons and gear a few times.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And yes, you do get to buy better weapons from vendors throughout the game. I didn't buy them every single time because I wasn't sure it was the best use of my money, but I have bought better weapons and gear a few times.
Shortly after asking about this, I found newer weapons in the next town. Pretty decent upgrade in stats.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm glad I relied on the internet to get the answers for the midterm and not the actual in game info. Most of the people you talked to and books you read on the day leading up to the test did nothing but give you a message that your knowledge in so and so subject increased. There was no real info provided in those exchanges.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been consulting a walkthrough to find hidden side quests, so I wound up using for test answers as well.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been consulting a walkthrough to find hidden side quests, so I wound up using for test answers as well.
Hated school when I was a kid and I have no desire to learn for a test in a video game.

As for those hidden side quests, I'm doing the same now after missing one. I ran all around that town that Jusis is from and found no one, so I figured maybe every area didn't have one. Came to find out later it was way out on the road at that fort. Never even thought to look there.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished as it took longer than I thought it would. Not that that's a bad thing as I hate short games.
Have to say, was not expecting that ending. I'll put it in spoilers in case the one other person who played has not gotten there yet.

Spoiler!
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I haven't finished it yet, due to my intermittent playing. I was traveling a couple weeks ago and got through the Realm of the Great Shadow, so I'm approaching the end of the game. I'll be traveling some more next month, and hope to finish it then.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally finished it. That last chapter was a real humdinger; some big revelations, while still leaving a lot for future games to answer.

My save file says I played 98 hours. That probably would have gone a lot faster if I'd been playing it straight through; I spent a lot of time refreshing my memory of everything each time I picked the game up again. The next one ought to go faster on the PS4. I have some other games I want to play first, though, so I'll wait a bit before starting the second one.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know how long it was in between games when they first came out, nor do I know if people knew it was an ongoing story, but I could imagine being pissed at that ending and not knowing if or when I'd get to see it continue.

I'll probably buy the 3rd one soon so I can keep it going once I'm done with the 2nd. The 4th and final though, I can't seem to find any info on when they plan on releasing that.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My save file says I played 98 hours.
I don't know if you get trophies on the Vita, or if you even care about those things, but there actually is one for playing 100 hours.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I don't know if you get trophies on the Vita, or if you even care about those things, but there actually is one for playing 100 hours.
I noticed that. How long was your playthrough?
post #17 of 18 Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Quote:
I noticed that. How long was your playthrough?
Don't recall the exact number, but I believe it was in the 110-120 hour range. I tend to double back through areas a lot to gain experience.
I was surprised I played that long because when I started, it felt like a game that would be done in 60 hours.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-07-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm really starting to hate these giant robot fights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page