Playstation 3 and Windows Home Server - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anyone using Windows Home Server with a PS3. I am wanting to purchase a PS3 and also considering adding a WHS to my home network. Currently I use a HTPC for viewing pictures and watching home movies and occasionally to search the net. Will the PS3 work with WHS, if so it may allow me to get rid of my HTPC.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm, I don't know exactly what Windows Home Server is, but I use Tversity Media Server and that works great.

I did use Windows Media Player 11 media sharing but Tversity seems far more robust.

It seems to play most everything I have and I have about a Terabyte of Hardrives.
post #3 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Liked: 10
I'm using an HP Mediasmart Server (it has Windows Home Server built in). I wasn't able to get ffdshow to work on it (TVersity crashes whenever I try to transcode), but I don't see other people that built their own WHS servers having the same problem. I think it's probably hardware specific problem...

Anyway, I installed Twonky on it today, and was able to stream most of my xvid to the PS3 very smoothly (TVersity without transcoding studdered a lot but not Twonky). While Twonky doesn't do transcoding, I am impressed with it that I immediately paid for a license. Now we just need to get the PS3 to work on the codec support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, do you like the MediaSmart Server? This is the one I was considering.

I don't own a PS3 yet so maybe I don't understand it's capabilities. I was thinking it would work similar to a networked computer in that I could browse any computer on my home network for photos and videos, is this correct? Is it just a WHS (or MediaSmart) issue or do I not understand the capabilities of the PS3 when it comes to networking?

Mike
post #5 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM

What you're describing is browsing network shares via SMB, which the PS3 doesn't do.

The PS3 access network share via the DLNA standard. Windows Home Server uses Windows Media Connect. It works fine for me for mp3s (I don't own any AAC...), but doesn't work at all for xvids - PS3 doesn't like it for some reason.

That's why I had to go get Twonky, which works great for xvid for me.

Edit: Oh, I do like the HP MediaSmart Server. I wish I was able to get Tversity to work with it, but I kinda doubt with its CPU that it can transcode very well anyway. It does what I need it to do, which is a network drive that I can access anywhere (like the .mac idisk) and be able to stream media to my PS3.
post #6 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post

Anyway, I installed Twonky on it today, and was able to stream most of my xvid to the PS3 very smoothly...

When you say "on it", do you mean you installed Twonky on the actual server? Or did you install Twonky on your pc and simply point it to the server?

I'm very interested in streaming music, photos, and video from the Mediasmart Server. You have any links to Mediasmart Server forums? I'm looking to buy the server next month.
post #7 of 54 Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM

I meant on the actual WHS itself.

And sorry, I do not have any good links for an HP mediasmart forum...
post #8 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 2079
I'm glad I found this thread, otherwise I was going to post one myself looking for experiences regarding PS3 with WHS, and in particular the HP MediaSmart.

FWIW, here is a very detailed posting regarding my first attempts to get the HPMS to stream audio to PS3 https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=971144 ,and I've followed-up extensively in the 'Streaming with no TVersity or TWonky' thread here https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=969198&page=5

I'm a big fan of the HPMS. Before that I had an Infrant NAS NV+, and while it was a great unit I'm happy I traded out for the HP. But I'm still a little confused about what it will and won't do. Obviously, for streaming, which is all I really bought it to do, it's as easy as easy gets...especially with PS3; I mean, I just turn on media sharing and my PS3 sees its Windows Media Connect UPnP right out of the box (well, you know...with the standard network tweaking). And I've had no problem streaming formats native to PS3. Problem is, of course, there are still a ton of codecs PS3 does not support, for me namely FLAC, that present challenges.

If you read the above threads you'll see my approach and struggles in regards to the highly touted TVersity. I'm not neccessarily interested in going the extra mile and getting that process to work, because for me, it's kind of like letting the tail wag the dog; the PS3 plays nicely with the HP, so I'm not interested in any kind of difficult "tricking-out" just to get it to stream the files that are not native yet. I fully suspect PS3 will support FLAC and many others very soon and then I will have a very simple, very effective solution. However, should the need arise, my questions are more in regard to the HPMS at this point.

My opinion of the HPMS thus far, has always been...based on what I have read about others doing with WHS...that it didn't act as a "true" WHS server; more like WHS was the OS "backbone", but that HP's GUI limited some of the functionality. However, if you read this excellent review of the HPMS http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_hp.asp ,it seems as if the HP should do everything any other WHS server can do and more.

Let's just start with the common theme of streaming: if Windows Media Connect is the UPnP for WHS...like WHS's version of WMP server...how could you access the config, on the HPMS box, to make changes? When I was messing with TVersity and having my troubles...I was fully suspect that some of the issues had to do with streaming from the HPMS, with WMP and TVersity on another box. Were WMC and WMP servers "conflicting", was there a share or permission issue, did it have to do with my 'Remote Access' setting on WHS? If I had wanted to bypass all of that, which ultimately I would have, could I have installed TVersity directly to the HP? How would you do such a thing, just copy the executible to the 'Software' share and run? Could I have installed the kind of codec pack that I needed to get WMP to play FLAC directly to the HP in order to get WMC to stream FLAC?

There aren't a whole lot of HPMS users out there yet, so I appreciate any feedback as to the experiences and discoveries others have had.

CD

All The Music In The World > NAD C388
post #9 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM

I was a beta tester with WHS for quite some time and here is what I've done for my setup:

I disabled the built-in media sharing.
I followed a hack at forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer to install Windows Media Player 11.
I use Windows Media Player 11 to stream my audio, and to publish my photos
I use Twonky to stream my video.

I still haven't figured out which 'container' is best and what compression, etc to use for my video.

I've currently ripped my entire CD collection (over 800 CD's) to my WHS and would like to do the same with my DVD collection. I've been playing with different settings for AVI, MP4, and DivX and haven't really settled on a specific setting yet. It probably doesn't help that it is a very time consuming process.

I think the WHS - PS3 combo is great.

(I also have Tivo Desktop installed on WHS so I can share audio and pics to my Tivo's)
post #10 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohrenz View Post

I was a beta tester with WHS for quite some time and here is what I've done for my setup:

I disabled the built-in media sharing.
I followed a hack at forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer to install Windows Media Player 11.
I use Windows Media Player 11 to stream my audio, and to publish my photos
I use Twonky to stream my video.

I still haven't figured out which 'container' is best and what compression, etc to use for my video.

I've currently ripped my entire CD collection (over 800 CD's) to my WHS and would like to do the same with my DVD collection. I've been playing with different settings for AVI, MP4, and DivX and haven't really settled on a specific setting yet. It probably doesn't help that it is a very time consuming process.

I think the WHS - PS3 combo is great.

(I also have Tivo Desktop installed on WHS so I can share audio and pics to my Tivo's)

Again, I personally love the simplicity of WHS sharing through Windows Media Connect, so rather than try and bend it too much, I'm going to take the other path which is to wait out file support from PS3.

Of course that's easy for me to say, at least on the audio side, because I've got an SB3 (and plan on adding a Duet) to handle those tasks, and in a much better fashion, in the meantime. Video is a different story.

I would like to be able to stream some DVD ripped and stored on the HPMS, to the PS3. I also need to do some testing with different containers, as ideally I'd love to "go native", but if it comes to it I'm still curious if there is a way to install and transcode directly on the HP box (by installing TWonky) or will I need to use a separate box and just point to the HP shares?

CD

post #11 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

if I may be "one of those guys" and throw in an alternative.. i setup a mythbunu box in like 1 hour with very little effort on my part to get the upnp working and its easily setup to share drives to windows over the network via samba. Its worth a try over a weekend for kicks...

pros: free, can use ps3 in linux as myth front end (tv tuner?)
cons: world's worst tree system for media in upnp, god help me if I need to make any changes to things that it doesn't do out of the box...

Making bad decisions on expensive items is more then a hobby it's a lifestyle
post #12 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm seriously considering buying one of these HP MediaSmart Servers, but I have a few questions for those that have them. Thanks in advance for your help.

1.) I would be able to load Tversity onto this server and use it for streaming, correct? I'm not very interested in video at this point in time so that's not a big consideration for Tversity to work.
2.) Am I able to add other applications? I'm pretty much asking specifically about a program called uSirius which allows me to access Sirius's online Internet streams for playback through my PS3.

Thanks!

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #13 of 54 Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

I have created a thread here that has already been mentioned that deals with streaming with no streaming software. It is extremely difficult to do. I am in desperate need of a new PC to be able to try different encoding methods with files to get them in a format that can play on the PS3 without any software.

I had to do an about face in the thread, but the link in my sig is going to be an ongoing guide. I going to keep posting my results in https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=969198&page=5 which has already been mentioned before. So if you can sift through that thread and can add anything, it will greatly help me out.
post #14 of 54 Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

I'm seriously considering buying one of these HP MediaSmart Servers, but I have a few questions for those that have them. Thanks in advance for your help.

1.) I would be able to load Tversity onto this server and use it for streaming, correct? I'm not very interested in video at this point in time so that's not a big consideration for Tversity to work.
2.) Am I able to add other applications? I'm pretty much asking specifically about a program called uSirius which allows me to access Sirius's online Internet streams for playback through my PS3.

Thanks!

DBoss, that's been my question and no one seems to be able to answer it. I might have to call HP support, but I've been weary of long waits and "communication" issues. I wholeheartedly recommend the MediaSmart, for its ease of use, and feature set. It even streams incredibly easy, through WHS's UPnP Windows Media Connect, and the PS3 has no problem seeing it and playing files, but if you need to transcode I'm not sure what you can install directly to the box. Again, that's been my question because there are no "drives", only shares.

Like I said, I guess the only way to find out (unless someone speaks up) is to call HP support, or try it and see what happens.

CD

post #15 of 54 Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Check this forum as there may be someone that can help:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/
post #16 of 54 Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

Thanks! I'll have to take a look and see what I can find.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #17 of 54 Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

Yeah, I checked this out too. From what I was able to gather, if you connect to the HPMS (or MSS as they call it) through Remote Desktop Connection...which I hadn't bothered to try yet...you get a traditional Windows desktop and can install applications. Might see if I can get TWonky and Slim Server working there.

CD

post #18 of 54 Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm sorry that I haven't checked this thread for a while. I have been enjoying Twonky on the HP Mediasmart Server, since it was able to do everything I needed.

Just one thing about TVersity... I had a lot of problems with it even though I was fine running it on one of my desktop. FFDshow would crash TVersity everytime I attempted to transcode anything. At that point, TVersity didn't support the new firmware that well yet, but then I tried Twonky and everything was perfect. Right now though, with the TVersity new version, even though I haven't tried it, it will probably do as well.

My advice though, is Twonky. Feel free to ask any questions.
post #19 of 54 Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry that I haven't checked this thread for a while. I have been enjoying Twonky on the HP Mediasmart Server, since it was able to do everything I needed.

Just one thing about TVersity... I had a lot of problems with it even though I was fine running it on one of my desktop. FFDshow would crash TVersity everytime I attempted to transcode anything. At that point, TVersity didn't support the new firmware that well yet, but then I tried Twonky and everything was perfect. Right now though, with the TVersity new version, even though I haven't tried it, it will probably do as well.

My advice though, is Twonky. Feel free to ask any questions.

Yeah, it's interesting...when I was starting out with trying to stream, and first learned about transcoding, everyone was raving about TVersity. So I tried it and had nothing but trouble. Now initially, some of it was learning pains (for example, I didn't realize that TVersity had to work in conjuction with WMP...I thought TVersity was like replacing WMP), but even after I armed myself with better knowledge, I still didn't think it worked very intuitively. Then I learned about TWonky and thought about giving that a shot, but didn't want to just keep jumping from product to product, rather than bearing down and making a good solution work. So I even posted a poll to see if anyone liked TWonky over TVersity...and TVersity won out overwhelmingly. But I'm starting to think it's because Interneters are traditionally cheap bastards and don't believe in paying for anything if they can make something free work. I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind paying for TWonky if I really felt like it was an easier solution, and I'm starting to hear some feedback as to that claim.

CD

post #20 of 54 Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have the 120 day trial of WHS.

I have it setup and working but the media sharing sucks compared to Twonky but it has a lot of other advantages so I installed Twonky.

I cannot get Twonky to work. I get the Twonky config page but there are no hot links on it.

I edited the ini file to point to the right folders and nothing shows up on the PS3. The server shows but it says there is no media for each of the options.

I installed WHS, updated it, and thats it. Copied some stuff over to it and it shows fine using the Windows Media Connect but its way too slow and doesn't do MP4.

Did you do anything special to get it to work?
post #21 of 54 Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

Did you do anything special to get it to work?

First thing, Media Sharing in the settings section of the Mediasmart Server has to be disabled. It uses Windows Media Connect and there's some conflict between that and Twonky. After doing that, there isn't really anything I did to make it work. It simply just...worked for me.

Of course, you'll have to go to the config page and set up your sharing folders:

http://(Your Mediasmart Server IP address):9000/config

What are your symptoms of Twonky not working? The PS3 not showing the server? or videos not working?
post #22 of 54 Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The server shows on the PS3 in fact both servers(WMC & Twonky) show so maybe thats my problem.

The config page will not come up. I get the header, the images and all that but on the left hand side where you can pick the options they simply are not there. I'll have to take a screen shot and post it up. Kind of hard to explain

If it works that'll be great because I had a 2.8ghz P-IV Asus Terminator box that WHS works perfectly on. I just need some bigger drives and a gig of ram for it and I'll be good.
post #23 of 54 Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

The server shows on the PS3 in fact both servers(WMC & Twonky) show so maybe thats my problem.

The easy way to test is to go into the services list and just stop the service and see if that fixes your Twonky issues.
post #24 of 54 Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:

First thing, Media Sharing in the settings section of the Mediasmart Server has to be disabled. It uses Windows Media Connect and there's some conflict between that and Twonky. After doing that, there isn't really anything I did to make it work. It simply just...worked for me.

Of course, you'll have to go to the config page and set up your sharing folders:

http://(Your Mediasmart Server IP address):9000/config

What are your symptoms of Twonky not working? The PS3 not showing the server? or videos not working?

I wonder if this might have been the thing that bedeviled me about getting TVersity working. I had TVersity on a separate box, but pointing at the MSS shares, and I could never get the darn thing to work. Maybe I just needed to turn off the media sharing on the MSS...hmmm

CD

post #25 of 54 Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I wonder if this might have been the thing that bedeviled me about getting TVersity working. I had TVersity on a separate box, but pointing at the MSS shares, and I could never get the darn thing to work. Maybe I just needed to turn off the media sharing on the MSS...hmmm

CD

I was never able to get TVersity to work with network shares. I read that in order for it to work, you had to run TVersity with a user with admin privileges and not "network services" but I was never able to get that working.

With Twonky, that was no problem - It was already running as the admin user in the Mediasmart Server and I was able to point it to a network share off of another machine using the config page.
post #26 of 54 Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Yeah, I checked this out too. From what I was able to gather, if you connect to the HPMS (or MSS as they call it) through Remote Desktop Connection...which I hadn't bothered to try yet...you get a traditional Windows desktop and can install applications. Might see if I can get TWonky and Slim Server working there.
CD

You can actually install an add-on that would essentially make the Windows Home Server console as remote desktop.

http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+12.aspx
post #27 of 54 Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I was never able to get TVersity to work with network shares. I read that in order for it to work, you had to run TVersity with a user with admin privileges and not "network services" but I was never able to get that working.

With Twonky, that was no problem - It was already running as the admin user in the Mediasmart Server and I was able to point it to a network share off of another machine using the config page.

Yeah, I ran into that as well. I did go into the TVersity properties to change the user from default to one with Admin privileges, but I found out later (when I was trying to access the MSS desktop through Remote Desktop Connection) that I was using the wrong User. The MSS doesn't actually list your Administrator in the 'Users' area, but if access it using 'Administrator' and your "master password" you can get in. I bet that was at least part of the problem setting up TVersity; the other part might have been this media share conflict.

CD

P.S. By the way Tongyang, if you ever wanted to try and change that TVersity User again, it's in the Services, Properties, under Log On (I think); TVersity uses a default, like you said "network services" user, so you just switch to a specified user that has Admin privileges.

post #28 of 54 Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just got the MediaSmart Windows Home Server yesterday (my homemade HTPC died) and I am very impressed with this little thing and it works GREAT streaming audio to the PS3... pictures work gread too.

Also there is now an addin called PVConnect which I believe is Twonky. I've been copying over my huge cd collection so haven't had time to learn the thing inside and out but so far I am impressed.

post #29 of 54 Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

How are people faring with Twonky and WHS? I just got a PS3 and plan to move my family server to the current WHS OS....

-Chris
post #30 of 54 Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKarras View Post

How are people faring with Twonky and WHS? I just got a PS3 and plan to move my family server to the current WHS OS....

Mine is working GREAT! I've got the HP Mediasmart EX475 and bumped the ram from 512MB to 2Gigs and bumped the AMD processor from the 1.8ghz to the AMD LE1640 (2.6ghz) and the thing is working great for my music, photos and docs and the backups it creates of all the computers on the network is invaluable. Very slick little box.

PV Connect (twonky) works great with my ps3's too... definately no complaints here. I recently installed orb so I can stream music over the internet and so far that is working great too (just did that like yesterday morning though).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page