In search of a 2019 TV for PS3 gaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By DaverJ
  • 2 Post By DaverJ
  • 2 Post By barrelbelly
  • 2 Post By DaverJ
  • 1 Post By zoglover
  • 1 Post By barrelbelly
  • 1 Post By jesseluo711

post #1 of 12 Old 02-03-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In search of a 2019 TV for PS3 gaming

Hi everyone,

I've just registered here in AVS forum because I'm looking for a new TV and it's being really hard for me to see something clear in the vast world of TV specs.

I'm an enthusiastic PS3 player and it's importatnt for me to have a good display quality. I've been doing a bit of research but I cannot really find out what is the right resolution for the PS3 and for 2019 content (Netflix, Prime video, etc) at the same time: 720p, 1080p or 4K? I know most PS3 games run at 720p. I've been playing on a 720p TV for years. But now I need another TV and I think maybe a 720p TV is kind of an outdated choice. So I would appreciate it a lot if you can help me a bit with some questions:

1. Is a 4K TV with PS3 a good idea? Is a 1080p TV a better idea?
  2. How do 4K upscalers perform with a 720p/1080p signal from PS3? Do they introduce some kind of lag?
  3. Can modern TVs introduce annoying motion blur with their image processing techniques? Recommended refresh rate?
  4. Are there any other key features that I should look for?
  5. What kind of TVs do you use with the PS3?

Thanks a lot :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulr View Post
Hi everyone,

I've just registered here in AVS forum because I'm looking for a new TV and it's being really hard for me to see something clear in the vast world of TV specs.

I'm an enthusiastic PS3 player and it's importatnt for me to have a good display quality. I've been doing a bit of research but I cannot really find out what is the right resolution for the PS3 and for 2019 content (Netflix, Prime video, etc) at the same time: 720p, 1080p or 4K? I know most PS3 games run at 720p. I've been playing on a 720p TV for years. But now I need another TV and I think maybe a 720p TV is kind of an outdated choice. So I would appreciate it a lot if you can help me a bit with some questions:

1. Is a 4K TV with PS3 a good idea? Is a 1080p TV a better idea?
  2. How do 4K upscalers perform with a 720p/1080p signal from PS3? Do they introduce some kind of lag?
  3. Can modern TVs introduce annoying motion blur with their image processing techniques? Recommended refresh rate?
  4. Are there any other key features that I should look for?
  5. What kind of TVs do you use with the PS3?

Thanks a lot :]
Budget and size preference? Also, would you consider stepping up to a PS4?
Oulr and barrelbelly like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Budget and size preference? Also, would you consider stepping up to a PS4?

Size: 43 inch would be perfect, but I accept other similar sizes.
Budget: 1500$ is my limit

I don't think I will buy a PS4 soon, but in any case I will play PS3 mainly. If I can find a TV well suited for both it would be perfect, but for me it's more important the picture quality with the PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Size: 43 inch would be perfect, but I accept other similar sizes.
Budget: 1500$ is my limit

I don't think I will buy a PS4 soon, but in any case I will play PS3 mainly. If I can find a TV well suited for both it would be perfect, but for me it's more important the picture quality with the PS3.
The good news is a 43" TV in 2019 is way below your budget. You can definitely go bigger if you have the space and still stay within budget. And even have extra left over for a soundbar, if you desire.

Most TVs these days are 4K native. Your PS3 can output 1080p, which scales nicely to 4K. The PS3 doesn't have to worry about HDR, but it's something you'll want to consider if/when you step up the the PS4 or beyond, which is recommended. The main thing to look out for is if you watch the TV off-axis. Many modern TVs start to look bad when not viewed directly from the front. Unfortunately, there's no OLED TV around 43", and there's burn-in to be concerned of with that tech.

If you could go up to a 49 or 50" inch TV, your options would be much better... again, if you have the room. Here is a good source - be sure to pay attention to the sizes available for each option:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...age/hdr-gaming
barrelbelly and Oulr like this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 02-06-2019 at 06:09 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Great feedback/input from DaverJ:I was in the market for change in 2018. And looked at all kind of HDTV options. I found that the very best for XB360 and PS3 games were very low lag 1080p Sony models like my 50 inch KDL 600B. That TV was built for the very best Console gaming experience around 2016 IMO. My daughter gifted the 50 incher to me and the wife in Christmas 2017. And it is my preferred display for Xbox 360, Nintendo and PS3 gaming. In 2018 I bought the LG Model 43U6300 4KUHD after comparing a lot of different models. It was by far the best available for 4k and 1080p gaming in terms of lag, and other features. I use it for XBox1X and some PC 4k gaming. And it is superb (especially with 4k HDR)! I'm sure it would be terrific with your PS3 (with upscaled 4k or native). If you can find that particular Sony model at Amazon.com; it can be had for a song and dance right now. But it would be a perfect match for your PS3 or PS4 for gaming in 720p-1080p. The 43" LG can be had at Best Buy for around $300; or price matched for less by them against online retailers like Amazon and PCRichardson. The LG would give you an amazing PQ and provide the most cost effective upgrade path to the PS4 or Coming soon PS5. Bottom line is grab a Sony or LG and snag a PS4 and/or XBiX with the savings from the $1500. Have fun!
DaverJ and Oulr like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your feedback!

Quote:
Most TVs these days are 4K native. Your PS3 can output 1080p, which scales nicely to 4K. The PS3 doesn't have to worry about HDR, but it's something you'll want to consider if/when you step up the the PS4 or beyond, which is recommended. The main thing to look out for is if you watch the TV off-axis. Many modern TVs start to look bad when not viewed directly from the front. Unfortunately, there's no OLED TV around 43", and there's burn-in to be concerned of with that tech.
If you could go up to a 49 or 50" inch TV, your options would be much better... again, if you have the room. Here is a good source - be sure to pay attention to the sizes available for each option
Not planning to watch the TV off-axis (except in very rare cases). Also, I'll be checking rtings.com for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I found that the very best for XB360 and PS3 games were very low lag 1080p Sony models like my 50 inch KDL 600B. That TV was built for the very best Console gaming experience around 2016 IMO. My daughter gifted the 50 incher to me and the wife in Christmas 2017. And it is my preferred display for Xbox 360, Nintendo and PS3 gaming.
That sounds really good. But I've googled that model and seems pretty hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
In 2018 I bought the LG Model 43U6300 4KUHD after comparing a lot of different models. It was by far the best available for 4k and 1080p gaming in terms of lag, and other features. I use it for XBox1X and some PC 4k gaming. And it is superb (especially with 4k HDR)! I'm sure it would be terrific with your PS3 (with upscaled 4k or native).
Does the LG support 720p/1080p native input? I mean, doesn't it perform upscaling automatically? As far as I know, without upscaling a 720p picture would look very small on a 4k display.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Does the LG support 720p/1080p native input? I mean, doesn't it perform upscaling automatically? As far as I know, without upscaling a 720p picture would look very small on a 4k display.
All modern 4K displays would scale the PS3 full-screen to the display's native resolution via HDMI connection.
barrelbelly and Oulr like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The Samsung 8000 series would be a solid choice. Great specs for gaming at a great price.
Oulr likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
@ouir : "That sounds really good. But I've googled that model and seems pretty hard to find."

Sony discontinued that model in 2014. It was replaced by the 650D which I think is also discontinued. The current version comes in 43" 4k-65" 4k with all of the bells and whistles. The 43" version retails for about $450 on Amazon...which is well below your budget of $1500. You really can't go wrong with either Sony or LG 4k. I considered OLED. And they are simply gorgeous. But screen burn is a very real issue with them for gamers. At this point in the panel development cycle...I found that they were all gorgeous from the prestige brands. some (LG & Sony) were just better for gamers.
Oulr likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I would look at Rtings.com, some specific TVs have better upscaling for 720p content than others. Vizio, for instance, is known for poor 720p upscaling in their P-series models, relative to the competition. All of this may change in 2019 of course, but until units are in reviewers' hands and tested, we're all speculating on which will perform better. 1080p upscaling tends to be quite good in all popular 4K TVs nowadays, especially at your price point.

Note that if your source input is at 720p, and you're using an AVR receiver, the AVR receiver may be able to do the upscaling for you, which may be better quality than what your TV is able to do. But this adds a processing step which will result in some small amount of input lag.

Different TVs have different levels of input lag for different resolution inputs. For instance input lag for a 720p source vs. a 4K source may differ. Again, I recommend checking RTings.com. For instance, the very popular Sony X900F has a higher input lag relative to the competition, although some will notice it and some won't. Depends on what games you're playing and what your expectations are. Safest route, of course, is to go with a TV that minimizes input lag.

I would also avoid OLEDs as they have burn-in risk associated with HUDs in-game. Some people will tell you this is an overblown issue but it is a known and documented problem, and there are plenty of examples you can find in this forum.
DaverJ likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseluo711 View Post
I would look at Rtings.com, some specific TVs have better upscaling for 720p content than others.
Good advice, except I would say that despite many games being internally rendered at 720p on PS3, the console can output 1080p. So the display's ability to scale 720p to 4K is moot because of this.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Good advice, except I would say that despite many games being internally rendered at 720p on PS3, the console can output 1080p. So the display's ability to scale 720p to 4K is moot because of this.
I didn't know that. If PS3 is guaranteed to output 1080p regardless of the circumstance, and OP is not planning to use any older gaming consoles, then I agree that it's much less of a consideration given the universally proficient 1080p upscaling we're seeing in mainstream 4KTVs nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Gaming Help

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page