1Likes
  • 1 Post By bowling16

post #1 of 2 Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
PS4 vs XBOX ONE S for media

My son wants a new game console for Christmas. He currently has a PS3 which is showing it's age. My wife and I have decide to get him either the PS4 or Xbox one S. She is leaning towards the PS4 while I am leaning towards the xbox. Whichever system we go with I plan on using it for playing movies aside from the gaming. Both have the 1 TB hard drive and I plan on attaching an external hard drive (around 2 TB) to either which will be filled with movies I have downloaded over the years. I know you can attach the external drive to the back of the xbox usb port which is nice but you can only attach the it to the front of the PS4. My question is: what is the better machine for playing movies off of an external hard drive? And can you use any type of external hard drive with each machine? Also, I know each comes with their own media player, which is better for supporting different file types? Does PS4 have a VCL media player app like xbox does? Can they encode dolby 5.1 audio? Any feedback or info would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
There are a couple things to consider here. First, is this primarily a gaming machine for your son or a movie watching machine for the family? If the former, does he play online with his friends a lot? If so, stick with the same platform that his friends are on (if they're all on Xbox - get the Xbox!). Does he play a lot of single player games? The PS4 might be the better option in that case because it has better exclusives. Does he stick with one game frequently or does he like to switch it up? Xbox has Game Pass Ultimate for $15/month (but is always available cheaper with promos) and that gives you the ability to play online and also gives you access to a Netflix-like service for games.

Besides the gaming factor, both systems should be fine with the external drive. You might have to reformat the drive first in order for the console to be able to read files though - Xbox supports NTFS, FAT, and FAT32 while PS4 doesn't support NTFS. Like you said, the Xbox has the port in the back which is better for cable management. Another thing to consider is that the Xbox One S can play UHD Blu-Rays while the PS4 cannot, if you decide to go with physical media. As far as I'm aware, neither system should give you any issues in outputting 5.1 audio, but the Xbox One S does have Atmos streaming capabilities should you upgrade your sound system in the future.

I think the easiest solution would be to hook up the external drive to a computer, set up a Plex server, and pick whichever console is cheaper/better suited for your son's gaming needs. Both consoles have a Plex app, but I've experienced a lot of buffering using the consoles' apps. Just pick up a Fire Stick or something similar for your movies if you go that route.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Gaming Help