N64 black and white picture on new LCD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to solve an old N64 console on a new LCD TV coming up with a washy black and white picture?

I've seen a few people mention it in various forums but nobody ever gets back to them with a useful response.

My problem is slightly more complicated as I am using PAL games through a converter to play on an imported Japanese NTSC console.

I know the hardware is fine as it works on my old CRT TV, so the cables, console, etc. all work. I also know the LCD inputs work as I can play other AV devices through it..and here is the kicker...

If I use a Japanese cartridge (without the converter) it works perfectly IN COLOUR on my new LCD TV.

So I think the LCD is just getting confused with the PAL/NTSC colour system when being played through the converter. However it is 100% auto and I can't fiddle with the PAL/NTSC option.

How am I supposed to get around that?

Would trying to use a different input help?
ie. using an RCA to VGA converter so I can plug the console into the TV via the PC input instead of the composite input.

Hope someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Don't everyone rush in with so many helpful suggestions, how am I supposed to keep up?

Anyhoo, I tried a Composite to RF converter and that didn't help, it is still in black and white. So if anyone else out there is listening, it might not be worth trying that.

Although, it does say it's in PAL, which is not what I needed it to be. That is assuming it is actually PAL and they haven't just written the Australian standard on the box to comfort people when the signal is actually a generic RF signal. I don't even know if RF comes in PAL and NTSC varieties.

Also, I have heard the N64 is a little testy when using 3rd party RF converters, so it could be the idea is right and it's just a compatability issue with the hardware.

Back to the drawing board. I think it could be easier for me just to buy an Australian N64 from a used games shop. But then again I don't know if they will work on a new LCD either. Anyone else know?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 21
I'd have to wager that since the TV doesn't have a problem...and the N64 doesn't have a problem when used in it's normal state with games it was made for, maybe this is an issue with the fact that you're playing games on a system they weren't designed for.

Go get a PAL N64 and I'd bet this goes away.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page