Liked: 601
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 390 Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Your Shacknews link is simply pulling from the Neogaf thread with zero original research, hence, it is useless garbage. The Neogaf thread is almost doing actual research, but it is thus far of shockingly low quality.

There is still a whole lot of "I think" and "it feels" going on with no actual evidence to back it up. More people sharing in it does not validate this mass delusion today any better that it did two weeks ago. Again, bring us actual evidence and we have something to talk about. Your links on the subject continue to be terrible.

I can show you links showing up in more places every day that say homeopathic medicine works. Without any actual research and evidence, that fact doesn't make it any more true than it was a decade ago.
post #33 of 390 Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've done the comparisons myself, I have two 3DS systems, and I used Tales of the Abyss' easily reproducable slowdown in the forests on the overworld as my test. (it does it 100% of the time pre update)

You can scream placebo effect all you want, I have seen the difference with my own eyes and there is no denying that the update has improved a lot of things. (like I said earlier, this is no minor difference, TotA has no frameskip, it slows down, and in the forests your speed would drop tremendously, it no longer does that post update.

Also, the system seems to run hotter since the update, both the original and the XL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 390 Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The Guild 01 games - Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden and Aero Porter are all like $2 off on the eshop.

Also nintendo has announced they are making 3ds announcements on wednesday

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #35 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Whoa, they're making a direct sequel to Zelda: A Link to the Past for 3DS.

Edit: Also a new Mario & Luigi RPG, Mario Golf, Mario Party and Mario vs. DK. Yoshi's Island 3DS as well.
post #36 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Whoa, they're making a direct sequel to Zelda: A Link to the Past for 3DS.

Edit: Also a new Mario & Luigi RPG, Mario Golf, Mario Party and Mario vs. DK. Yoshi's Island 3DS as well.

Dang, had to look that one up- nice! 3DS is perfect for this...

2D mechanic reminds me of Super Paper Mario, in a good way (I loved that game).

I didn't watch the Nintendo Direct today, were there any other big announcements? Like, say, anything to save the flagging WiiU sales?

[EDIT] Apparently they did. 3DS gets more and more dominant all the time... didn't find much WiiU info yet.

post #37 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hm. I actually hadn't seen video of the new LTTP before. For me Nintendo games (especially Zelda games) get an automatic pass in terms withholding judgment of an art style until I see the finished product in person, but man, that is one ugly art style.

But yeah, not much Wii U info in this one because it was specifically stated to be a 3DS-centric Nintendo Direct.
post #38 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hm. I actually hadn't seen video of the new LTTP before. For me Nintendo games (especially Zelda games) get an automatic pass in terms withholding judgment of an art style until I see the finished product in person, but man, that is one ugly art style.

But yeah, not much Wii U info in this one because it was specifically stated to be a 3DS-centric Nintendo Direct.

Reggie mentioned there's a version up on the 3DS store, wonder if it looks better in 3D?
post #39 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
I never thought I'd say this but....this is a little too much Mario and Zelda for me.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #40 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It looks like a cross between claymation and SNES 3D style sprites. (SMRPG, DKC)

I can't wait for May 30th so I can get the Oracle games again.
post #41 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It looks like a cross between claymation and SNES 3D style sprites. (SMRPG, DKC)

Funny you say that- I thought it reminded me of something, when you mentioned claymation it hit me: Mario vs. Donkey Kong on GBA. Kinda has the same semi-3D sprite look.

Not the best video, but a sample:
post #42 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Funny you say that- I thought it reminded me of something, when you mentioned claymation it hit me: Mario vs. Donkey Kong on GBA. Kinda has the same semi-3D sprite look.

Not the best video, but a sample:

Ugh, now you're just reminding me how much better GBC Donkey Kong and GBA Mario vs Donkey Kong were than their sequels. biggrin.gif

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #43 of 390 Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching the Direct Link looked wrong, but watching it on the 3DS in 3D Link looked just fine. The graphics look just like ALttP was ripped into 3D with a chimera of old school link designs (combo of Zelda 1, ALttP styles in his model)

I do have to wonder, will this take place after Link's Awakening? (the timeline has ALttP, Oracle of S/A and LA being the same Link and Zelda taking place in a short span of time) It would be interesting to see how the region has changed after a few years of peace.
post #44 of 390 Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I've done the comparisons myself, I have two 3DS systems, and I used Tales of the Abyss' easily reproducable slowdown in the forests on the overworld as my test. (it does it 100% of the time pre update)

You can scream placebo effect all you want, I have seen the difference with my own eyes and there is no denying that the update has improved a lot of things. (like I said earlier, this is no minor difference, TotA has no frameskip, it slows down, and in the forests your speed would drop tremendously, it no longer does that post update.

Also, the system seems to run hotter since the update, both the original and the XL.

I tried it with bit trip runner, stages 3-8 and 3-9, the gauntlet. It's still there. It's bad too; I'm not sure how I beat this game.

post #45 of 390 Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I hope that this is the start of a new trend for the Zelda series where both the normal 3D perspective style and the traditional overhead perspective make regular appearances on both consoles and handhelds just like Mario platformers now do. Metroid also needs to go down this direction.

I'm a bit down on it not being 2D since the LttP inspired graphics from Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube were more attractive in my opinion. But I understand now after watching the transformation mechanic in motion why it had to be this way despite the 2D overhead style perspective. It's still an attractive game at least unlike the two 3D overhead style entries on the DS that were rather ugly games even when new. I'm glad they seem to be looking back at the highlights of the series instead of the two dead ends on the DS that struck me as rather average and uninspired at the time with many lackluster aspects like the stylus control.

Does anyone think that there's a chance that the Four Swords download that was available as a limited time DSi download might be included here? Not having a 3DSXL or DSiXL at the time, I missed out on it. Had fond times linking up Link to the Past on the GBA and playing Four Swords 7 or 8 years ago. Would like to revisit it solo and check out the new areas.
post #46 of 390 Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

I have a feeling Four Swords is one of those weird "Free for 3 weeks then NEVER EVER AGAIN" things Nintendo loves, like GBA games on 3DS

post #47 of 390 Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think there's any way that those and many other 1st party GBA games will remain absent on there. They've just focused elsewhere so far with the VC. We didn't even start getting NES games until last October over a year after the selection of 10 free NES games that went along with the 10 GBA games. Now we're getting them pretty regularly including the 10 Ambassador selections slowly being opened up for sale.

So I bet GBA games appear before 2013 is out. Perhaps they're holding back so it will coincide with the introduction of the GBA to the Wii U's Virtual Console which we know is a confirmed platform over there.

Sadly though I have a feeling you're right about Four Swords.
post #48 of 390 Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

CNET sat down with Aonuma, interesting read on LttP 2:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57582222-222/exclusive-zelda-3ds-feels-totally-different-needs-to-be-played-in-3d/
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET 
To better understand the thinking behind this move, I got a chance to talk with Eiji Aonuma, the man who has overseen various Zelda games including the Link to the Past sequel.

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from my interview with Aonuma was that the new 3DS Zelda game -- one that exists within the universe established by 1992's A Link to the Past -- will be a significant departure from the way most Zelda games are played.

When speaking about the basic Zelda formula of finding items to allow progression, Aonuma said "it certainly feels different from our [the developer's] point of view."

So what does "different" mean exactly? Aonuma was cautiously vague, but he explained that, with the introduction of a platform the Zelda franchise has yet to appear on, the game's developers had a fresh canvas to work with. It's this clean slate that was the driving force behind the decision to bring the classic top-down view of A Link to the Past to the 3DS.

Where in the past a game would normally need to be first constructed in a 3D world, the diorama-esque visuals of the 3DS have been able to breathe new life into environments that have become all but extinct in the last 20 years.

So where does the idea of Link becoming a drawing originate? Veteran Zelda fans may remember Phantom Ganon, the protector of the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time. During Link's encounter, Phantom Ganon jumps into one of six identical paintings on a wall. Aonuma wondered, "What if Link could have the same power?"

But why A Link to the Past? Why not create a new world for Link to explore? Aonuma says that the 3DS has allowed for the revisiting of a top-down world and provided new ways for the player to interact with a Zelda game. It was the perfect chance to reopen A Link to the Past. And like some other Zelda games in the past, the 3DS sequel will alternate between a light and dark world

[EDIT]

Thought this was worth sharing- Gameexplain gets geeky with LttP 2's demo footage. Some pretty good insights:
post #49 of 390 Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder why the hillsides are so blurry.

I actually think Link to the Past is the better looking of the two games when compared. But it does look promising and I'm definitely excited over it.
post #50 of 390 Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
with the introduction of a platform the Zelda franchise has yet to appear on,

...I guess they're not counting OoT3D or any of the virtual console stuff? confused.gif

Or... more likely, they realized that people were complaining about the formula being stale. tongue.gif

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #51 of 390 Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope ALttP2 is as fun as the Oracle games were, they remain my favorite Zelda games to this day.
post #52 of 390 Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, those are coming soon. I'm surprised there are so many zelda games I haven't played.

I've been playing Minish Cap, and it's kind of annoying. It's a really fun game, but half the time you need to do something secret to progress, like bomb a wall, and it's not marked. That kind of stuff works for bonuses like heart pieces, but for just finishing a dungeon it's bothersome.

post #53 of 390 Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Oh yeah, those are coming soon. I'm surprised there are so many zelda games I haven't played.

I've been playing Minish Cap, and it's kind of annoying. It's a really fun game, but half the time you need to do something secret to progress, like bomb a wall, and it's not marked. That kind of stuff works for bonuses like heart pieces, but for just finishing a dungeon it's bothersome.

The Oracle games run on the Link's Awakening DX engine. They are quite challenging and have some fantastic dungeons and bosses. A lot of the people who made these games went on to make Minish Cap and even Skyward Sword. Minish Cap was fun, but too short and quite easy by comparison.
post #54 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone tried LEGO City Undercover yet?
post #55 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I enjoyed Minish Cap, but it felt unmistakeably like, well, a first-party Nintendo franchise farmed out to a (talented) third party. I felt little though distinct differences throughout that marked it as a Capcom game rather than a Nintendo game. It's been a while, but I think for instance you could hit bosses with your sword as much as you liked as long as they were open, as opposed to the invincibility window/pushback you typically get after landing a successful hit on a boss in a 2D Zelda game. Nitpicking of course, but tiny stuff like that adds up to feel like a competent Capcom game wearing a Zelda skin, rather than an out-and-out Zelda game.
post #56 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Has anyone tried LEGO City Undercover yet?

I still have to finish the Wii U game first.
post #57 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Lego City 3DS is a solid game worth your $30. I love the Wii version, and this builds on that. It plays differently as all the missions are in the open world instead of inside distinct levels. It runs well enough, but suffers from poor load times. The loads only really happen when you start up, or change zones though, so not too commonly. The only major mark against it is that most of the writing is text instead of voice acted. The delivery of the voice work in the Wii version was so fantastic that it feels like it's missing here.

I'd probably get Luigi's Mansion first, but I'm liking Lego City quite a bit. I just keep getting distracted by PC games. Tomb Raider previously, now Dead Space 3.
post #58 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do you think of it technically beyond the limited voice acting and load times? It looked fine in a prerelease gameplay video to me (And on a much bigger screen than it would be actually be played on since I was watching video output of a mission full screen at my PC). But I glanced through IGN's review earlier today and they were blasting it over short draw distance and such. Kind of surprised me in light of how it looked to me in the single video I watched so I'm glad to see that IGN is likely being too harsh (Not that I put much stock in their opinions).

I loved The Minish Cap. I almost hate to say this but I think I'd rate it in 2nd place for my favorite 2D Zelda just behind LttP of course and ahead of classics like Link's Awakening and the original Legend of Zelda. It's such a shame that it arrived so late though since I firmly believe it was the original Zelda everyone wanted on the GBA but arriving during the end of its lifecycle I imagine dampened sales significantly even with backwards compatibility with the early DS models. But at least the GBA got it in the end. That's more than can be said for an original Mario platformer...

I'm rather sad that they ddn't keep that Capcom studio (Flagship I think it was called) busy with outsourced Zelda projects since they did a pretty decent job with the Oracle games, porting over Link to the Past to the GBA (And the Four Swords multiplayer mode), and I think Four Swords Adventures for the GameCube. And now they've been disbanded I think in the wake of that decision which is a shame since they did nice work.

At least Grezzo (Essentially the replacement of Flagship) seems to do good work as well in the two Zelda projects they've been handed so far since then. I hope Nintendo takes advantage of that to bring Majora's Mask 3D out later on after Nintendo's own 3DS Zelda has its moment in the sun.
post #59 of 390 Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

The lighting is poor and the draw distance for scenery objects is poor. Important mission items always draw, so it doesn't matter much. It's no worse than the poor draw distance of money in the Wii version. The frame rate is fine, and the world is more open than you tend to find on the 3DS.

Lego City is no technical marvel, but it's perfectly serviceable. The lack of full voice acting is the single thing that really holds me back from giving it a "must buy".
post #60 of 390 Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pokemon X and Y are tempting me to buy them digitally just so I have the option to backup and restore my save files. (This is a fantastic feature of emulation that is finally coming to official hardware.) The 3DS is the first system where digital is tempting, I just upgraded to a 32GB class 10 SD card for $20 so I am fully prepped for digital...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
Nintendo 3ds Cosmo Black , Nintendo 3ds Xl Blue Black , Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page