Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #151 of 390 Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
That Zelda 3DS is pretty sweet. I normally don't like special edition hardware as they're usually pretty gaudy but that's pretty subtle.

Still, all things considered, I'd settle for the preorder box the UK gets: https://vine.co/v/hwzQb2LpneO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 390 Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Pokemon Y update.

12 hours in, 100 Pokemon encountered, team of 6 in the mid 20s and only one badge so far. Pacing is quite different in this game.
post #153 of 390 Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Zelda XL is coming stateside for Black Friday, includes A Link Between Worlds for $219

http://kotaku.com/here-are-gamestops-black-friday-deals-for-2013-1447709818
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 390 Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Zelda XL is coming stateside for Black Friday, includes A Link Between Worlds for $219

http://kotaku.com/here-are-gamestops-black-friday-deals-for-2013-1447709818

Holy crap - way off topic, but did you see the rest of the Nintendo pages in the ad? Mostly nothing, but then....

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/GameStop/Ad?page=8
post #155 of 390 Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Holy crap - way off topic, but did you see the rest of the Nintendo pages in the ad? Mostly nothing, but then....

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/GameStop/Ad?page=8

I saw, still over priced for gutted reprints. Great for those who missed out on them. I won't be grabbing either.

I do still have a sealed copy of Xenoblade, so I may not be the best person to consult. biggrin.gif
post #156 of 390 Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ehhhh Metroid Prime Trilogy is a decent deal (if they're online and I can use coupons), but I hated Prime 3. People keep going on about how great Prime 1 is, though and I'm tempted.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #157 of 390 Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Ehhhh Metroid Prime Trilogy is a decent deal (if they're online and I can use coupons), but I hated Prime 3. People keep going on about how great Prime 1 is, though and I'm tempted.

I prefer Prime 1 on the Cube, glitchy first release for all the speed run tricks. I never did like the motion controls, I still prefer the single analog setup for everything.

Prime 1&2 can be had for under $10 at a flea market so I never felt a need to replace my copy of trilogy.
post #158 of 390 Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pokemon update.

Pacing really picks up after gym 4, not sure if they ran out of padding or if they just decided to speed up the gym encounters.

After gym 7 the evil team kicks in, and it is the most pathetic team yet. Their backstory was pulled straight from the current headlines, they are basically Microsoft/Apple, Prism references and all. Their motive is DBZ level symplistic (destroy everything) and none of them are interesting at all.

My team was in the mid 60s to early 70s at this point, this game is a cake walk.

The cutscene that introduces the Legendary Pokemon is just stunning to watch and it really shows how far the series has come. It uses the trainer model from the PR videos and makes me wish that the next games skip the deformed models entirely and go full 3D like in the main city.

Money is really common, I have spent over 1 million pokedollars and still have over 300k in my pockets.

Character customization is fantastic, if you play as a girl, the guys choices suck in comparison. I had a file for each but decided to make my female run my main one after seeing the options, they really are that lopsided.
DaverJ likes this.
post #159 of 390 Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK Gamefreak, that ending is just a giant tease. A fully 3D cutscene using everyone's non deformed models, if you can do that on the 3DS... just give us a whole game like that Already!
post #160 of 390 Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
That was fast, the 3DS XL charging cradles on Club Nintendo are already gone.

If they had a black one for free there, I probably would've went for it, but I can't really justify the $20 to buy one.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #161 of 390 Old 11-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 22
I never get handheld s because it bugs my head for sure due to my vision, but may check out the XL just in case it may be big enough.... I doubt it though.
post #162 of 390 Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do
Anyone played Dillon's Rolling Western before? Seems like people either love or hate it. It's really unusual to see a 3D game on CN.

Dillon’s Rolling Western (3DS eShop) – 200 coins

Metroid (3DS Virtual Console) – 150 coins

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii Virtual Console) – 150 coins

Art Style: Cubello (WiiWare) – 150 coins

post #163 of 390 Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM

I got lazy back when they had all those games around 30 cents and didn't get any. frown.gif
post #164 of 390 Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up the new Zelda game last night and played for about 30 minutes. It's a little weird to be seeing that world in 3D (overhead of course, but still 3D nonetheless). Mostly I've just been exploring the overworld so far, so I can't say how good it is though. I'm trying to hold off getting too much into it until I have to travel next week, but I'm not sure I'll realistically be able to manage.

post #165 of 390 Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I bet this engine is an evolution of what they used on the DS for those two Zelda's. Has a very similar feel to it somehow where the engine is concerned and I could easily visualize using the stylus for this (Although I'm glad I don't have to).

Glad it's much more attractive this time around. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were two of the ugliest 3D games I had played since the 1990's.
post #166 of 390 Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 AM

I still can't decide whether or not to get a 3DS XL. At some point I'll try it in the stores. I wonder if there will be more good deals and availability for any bundles involving the Zelda game though. Plus I would rather have the disc, not download code.
post #167 of 390 Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wasn't able to hold out entirely, and have already made it through the first 'half' plotwise (though it's similar to LTTP and pretty much every Zelda game that the second half is longer). I'm really enjoying it, but at the same time I hate the item mechanic in this one. There aren't any new items in dungeons that I can see - you have them all available to you as soon as you get enough rupees, which means that by the time I even started the second dungeon I was already able to rent nearly every item in the game. Hate that. Otherwise though, it's great.

post #168 of 390 Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yeah, I caved on my "wait till after Thanksgiving to play" plans, big time. One dungeon (and about three hours of exploration) in and I unabashedly love it so far. It's nice to play a Zelda again that just gets right on with it from the start, and it's just so cool being back in the LTTP world again. They even got the little things like the sound of Link going up/down stairs right. Though I am immensely disappointed that entering the Lost Woods doesn't involve a pixelated screen transition.

I'm still making up my mind about whether I like the new "item rental" system. It's definitely a little weird after all these years to not get an item midway through a dungeon as a reward. Part of the fun of dungeons in Zelda games was the surprise of what the item in each dungeon would be. On the other hand, this setup may be more suited for a portable, as good players will basically have access to most of the items in the game shortly after the first dungeon, and thus will have to do a lot less backtracking around the overworld as you discover secrets. In any case, I have to applaud just about any playing around with the usual Zelda formula, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.
post #169 of 390 Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I beat it already, with 100% completion on the main game. There's a harder hero mode afterwards that I haven't tried yet, maybe I'll do that when travelling instead. biggrin.gif

I enjoyed it, but I think the familiarity with the map hurt it a lot. Part of the wonder of the game is supposed to be exploring a new world, but it didn't feel very new considering we'd seen the world before. I mean, the second 'world' had some interesting takes on things, but it still was largely similar to the dark world in LTTP. I know that was intentional, and also playing to nostalgia, but I do wonder if it was really a smart choice or not.

Also, it was a little too easy. I don't mean just battle difficulty though. I mean, other than a few enemies who take off massive amounts of health with one hit until you eventually upgrade your outfit, battles and bosses were easy. But worse than that, there weren't really enough hidden secrets. Heart containers were a breeze to find all of them. The Maimai things to upgrade everything, those were all simple too. Upgrading the sword the last time was nothing like the complication that it was in LTTP or the difficult path to the Biggoron Sword in OoT.

The worst part, difficulty wise, had to do with the non-linear progression. No, not just the item shop thing I already mentioned. But I mean the dungeons themselves. They designed it specifically to be possible to do any dungeon in any order and to give you the ability to have all the items right away if you really want. That's great, but because of that non-linear design it also means that as long as you have the single item that a dungeon needs, you're fine. There wasn't a single instance in the game where there was any clever combination of multiple items in some new way to solve a puzzle. In Link's Awakening, for example, sometimes you just needed the feather to jump, but other areas were only accessible with the boots and the feather. Or, for a more recent (and non-Nintendo) example, "Ittle Dew" on the PC was really great at this. Despite only having three items, the combination of uses and tricks there were to using those three items were kind of amazing (though admittedly it was a very short game not nearly on the same scale as this).

Overall, the puzzles themselves were mostly just simple stuff that we've seen a million times before in the Zelda series.

Now, all of this was negative here, but it's not as bad as it sounds. It's still a really good game. They nailed the feel of it, the plot was decent enough for a Zelda game, and overall I liked it a lot. It's just that it could have been even better.

In other words, LTTP and Link's Awakening still top this one by far, in my opinion. Still, that's some lofty competition to be up against and it at least is in the same (great) ballpark as all the other 2D Zelda games.

post #170 of 390 Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'm waiting to finish Link to the Past again. 3 dungeons left!

post #171 of 390 Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM

I've been playing through all console Zelda games from the original to skyward sword, except I am playing FSA before WW where I can wait until Christmas to play WW again. I think I played the original OoT instead of the MQ one, so maybe will go back and play MQ again when done with skyward sword. I've always said OoT was the greatest Zelda game, but the more I play it, I'm starting to think I would maybe put majora's mask and twilight princess at the top. Which is funny since some people insist TP is a bad game.
post #172 of 390 Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Twilight Princess isn't bad, it is just painfully easy. Skyward Sword is my favorite of the 3D games, and the Oracle games are my favorites of the 2D games and my favorites as a whole.
post #173 of 390 Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

I think TP is amazing once you can become a wolf at will (and those weird little kids are forgotten).

post #174 of 390 Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I enjoyed it, but I think the familiarity with the map hurt it a lot. Part of the wonder of the game is supposed to be exploring a new world, but it didn't feel very new considering we'd seen the world before. I mean, the second 'world' had some interesting takes on things, but it still was largely similar to the dark world in LTTP. I know that was intentional, and also playing to nostalgia, but I do wonder if it was really a smart choice or not.
Before I started playing I was worried about the map feeling too familiar too, but I'm finding the joy in map exploration in this game not to be discovery, but re-discovery. It's not a trick I'd want them to pull too often, but I'm liking the twist of switching the focus from exploring a new world, to exploring what's new in a world you loved as a kid. It's like returning as an adult to the town you grew up in and seeing how it changed (except it's exciting instead of depressing as it often is in real life). Yeah, you know the general layout and how to get around, but anything that's different from how you remember seems so extra new and weird. It's like, yeah, you know where Lake Hylia is, but once you get there, you find what used to be a modest little island in the middle with not much of note on it now has a huge frickin' windmill in the center of it.

I mean, I've only seen about half the Dark World map yet, but so far, I'm finding myself very engrossed in seeing how this place has changed since the last time we saw it, about as much as I'd be in discovering a whole new world.

Plus, exploration (or re-exploration, or what have you) is just so satisfying in this game. It helps that they make quick travel available from very early on in the game. And I was a bit worried that the "painting" mechanic was too gimmicky, but it's very cleverly/organically implemented. It's kind of a trip to activate it and suddenly have to think about this classic, 2D world you're very familiar with in a 3D way.
post #175 of 390 Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Agh I love the new Zelda too much. I don't want to beat it. I have four hearts, I'm racking up rupees and doing sidequests. I know it's meant to be a sequel but it's seriously the most fun I've had with the series since SNES.

post #176 of 390 Old 12-09-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New firmware update is out, Miiverse and NNID are up. The eshop is broken right now, it gets stuck on the loading screen now and crashes when I shut it off.
post #177 of 390 Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's also a Streetpass Mii Plaza update that won't install either.

post #178 of 390 Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 AM

Haven't decided on buying this, still, but how dumb they didn't sue an OLED screen on it. Practically all small devices started using OLED.
post #179 of 390 Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Haven't decided on buying this, still, but how dumb they didn't sue an OLED screen on it. Practically all small devices started using OLED.

Not really true at all. Phones mostly are back to using (IPS) LCD displays for the better color accuracy that you get with them, plus the fact that Samsung saves all the best (non PenTile) screens for themselves.

Anyway, I still couldn't get into the store last night, but the Streetpass Mii Plaza update downloaded fine then. Not really seeing the appeal of Miiverse here though. It seems like a less-interesting Twitter at the moment, but maybe I'm missing something.

post #180 of 390 Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow at 9am est. It will cover titles coming out in the spring for each region. (3DS and Wii U)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
Nintendo 3ds Cosmo Black , Nintendo 3ds Xl Blue Black , Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page