NEW! Nintendo 2DS. Wait... what? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

C'mon, Nintendo, let's have a giant, single screen device for 2DS rev 2...

What would be the point? Games wouldn't be coded to take advantage of it so we'd still have two different aspect ratios, the upper half wouldn't have any touch screen capability, and games with their playfield spread across both would look stupid since they're programmed to take that gap into account.

You can't display something that isn't even rendered. So even if you make them abut each other, they're not going to line up correctly.

I don't see what you'd be gaining?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
I got to hold a 2DS today. The dpad and face buttons are a lot like those on the DS Lite. It is surprisingly comfortable as many reviewers have noted. I still prefer my XL comfort wise, but for those who prefer higher pixel densities is is a very solid machine, it feels like it could take the abuse a child would dish out.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

What would be the point? Games wouldn't be coded to take advantage of it so we'd still have two different aspect ratios, the upper half wouldn't have any touch screen capability, and games with their playfield spread across both would look stupid since they're programmed to take that gap into account.

You can't display something that isn't even rendered. So even if you make them abut each other, they're not going to line up correctly.

I don't see what you'd be gaining?

If Developers couldn't just flat out eliminate the gap between screens (a big win in my book) they can always put a mock bezel on there, ala Super Gameboy. And they have black bars on GB/GBA games on VC now, 2DS could easily follow that model

Big advantages (for me at least, not necessarily indicative of the whole 2DS market) wouldn't mean 2DS exclusive SKUs, just different visuals available when the game is played on a 2DS, similar to GB games played on GBC. Current 3DS and DS games wouldn't be able to take advantage of the screen, but there's tons of uses going forward:

• Top screen touch interactivity
  • Better potential for Wii U interactivity (unlikely, sure. But I can dream....)
  • Full screen gives developers flexibility for new games to have additional (i.e. value adding) functionality. Art Academy would be great with a full screen, as would things like vertical arcade shooters like Xevious, and games like Mario3D World, Starfox, Kid Icarus or Animal Crossing would be awesome vertical.
  • Cross platform capabilities with tablet games. Could open up tons of developers and new games to Nintendo... if they ever decide to compete with the mobile OS space. They're working on drawing in indies, anything to help ease that transition is good.

I don't think they need a separate line of games for a full screen 2DS, nor does it need to be mandatory like 2D-only functionality on 3DS, but give developers the choice to utilize a full tablet interface as they choose. I'm not a programmer, but I can't imagine the additional work involved would be restrictive. Give the devs and consumers the ability to pick what they like best: bigger screen or 3D, price or portability. You'd fragment some of the consumers, but they're somewhat conflicted as it is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I expect that mock up to be similar to their next handheld. It will probably hit around 2017 unless the 2DS and Pokemon explode sales to the point that a new console isn't needed just yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If Developers couldn't just flat out eliminate the gap between screens (a big win in my book) they can always put a mock bezel on there, ala Super Gameboy. And they have black bars on GB/GBA games on VC now, 2DS could easily follow that model.

It already has a mock bezel. As has been widely covered, this is just a single screen. But eliminate that spacing will only hurt games like Yoshi's Island DS with no apparent benefit. Existing software that has the playfield spread across both screens takes that account in mind and can't be changed.
Quote:

Big advantages (for me at least, not necessarily indicative of the whole 2DS market) wouldn't mean 2DS exclusive SKUs, just different visuals available when the game is played on a 2DS, similar to GB games played on GBC. Current 3DS and DS games wouldn't be able to take advantage of the screen, but there's tons of uses going forward:
  • Top screen touch interactivity
  • Better potential for Wii U interactivity (unlikely, sure. But I can dream....)
  • Full screen gives developers flexibility for new games to have additional (i.e. value adding) functionality. Art Academy would be great with a full screen, as would things like vertical arcade shooters like Xevious, and games like Mario3D World, Starfox, Kid Icarus or Animal Crossing would be awesome vertical.
  • Cross platform capabilities with tablet games. Could open up tons of developers and new games to Nintendo... if they ever decide to compete with the mobile OS space. They're working on drawing in indies, anything to help ease that transition is good.

To really take advantage of this, the 2D would have to be a different line. They can't utilize top touch screen interactivity to any real degree when most of the units out there simply can't do it.

And the Wii U's touch screen is just a single screen and 16:9 so I don't see what a gigantic 16:18 screen would offer (Assuming that you made the lower 50% 16:9 instead of the present 4:3).

And I could see 3:4 arcade games being great on such a setup but I'm not sure I see any benefits to having a ton of vertical space in something like Star Fox or Super Mario 3D Land. And to take any real advantage of it, you'd essentially have to code with this future handheld in mind. Compromises for the game to still be well suited to existing handhelds prevents a game being focused on these enhancements. So it would be little more than eyecandy since it would have to still be fully playable on existing systems.

And for all this to happen, this really needs to be the future they're aiming towards. And so far I honestly believe that the 2DS is what they're saying it is. A kid friendly version of the 3DS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I expect that mock up to be similar to their next handheld. It will probably hit around 2017 unless the 2DS and Pokemon explode sales to the point that a new console isn't needed just yet.

I really doubt that they want to lose a lot of portability so I wouldn't be so sure that this is an indication of the future.

One thing that might kill the 3DS off early is if they desire to merge their handheld and console lines into a single device. If that guess happens, the longevity of the 3DS will depend greatly on the Wii U. Their desire to start over in the console world if this guess is accurate would also mean a reboot to their handheld line if it's an all in one system.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nintendo will maintain backwards compatability with the 3DS on their next system, maybe even the DS as well. I expect them to move back to a single screen for their next system. It will keep costs down and make the device simpler. A 2DS style single screen would make it easy to manage.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Time will tell I suppose but I can't imagine Nintendo wanting to give up so much in the area of portability. The 2DS form factor simply isn't one that you can stuff in a pocket and take with you and I imagine that Nintendo still considers that segment valuable even though cell phones have made huge inroads into that area.

And I sure wouldn't want to bet on backwards compatibility. Especially if it's an all in one device that's a console and a handheld, presumably one of these two lines at the very least will have to suffer. And since they're not going to be including two different CPU's here, easy compatibility with one of them has to go away.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was just watching a video of Mario Kart DS and it reminded me of a few suggestions around here when this was new saying that Nintendo shouldn't of put that false divider on the front to create the illusion of two screens on the 2DS.

The opening track preview segment is what a DS or 3DS game with a single view spread across both screens would look like if both the touch and upper screen abutted each other...

This is why that idea simply wouldn't work. No DS game or 3DS game renders anything for that space since the gap between two screens is taken into account. Thus, that gap has to be maintained on the 2DS or any future revision of the 3DS for such games to look right.

Hoping for a 2DS XL this year along with seeing how DS releases such as this one perform on the Wii U Virtual Console...
Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I've got a PS3, PS4, and PSV, but I used the triple trade in atrTarget to pick up a 2DS...to play Bravely Default. I can't do 3D, so this was perfect for me.

I've also got a 4 and 2 year old- boys. Anyone have recommendations for games I should get for them? And games for me too. I figure it's an excellent JRPG machine, right?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mario Kart 7 is very good as is 3D Land. Both would be great for your kids. Ocarina of Time got a fantastic remake, but that may be a bit much for the kids.

On the JRPG front. Etrian Odyssey has two entries on the system, both are solid turn based RPGs. Tales of the Abyss got a solid port to the system. Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Fire Emblem Awakening. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance bridges the gap between 2 and 3. Pokemon X/Y are solid entries in the series.

Did you own a original DS? If not I can add many more games to the list.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope. The last Nintendo handheld I had was the original Gameboy.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You poor thing... you missed out on so much.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there some kind of DS forum somewhere with decent tips and tricks? A dedicated DS wiki? My Google searching hasn't lead me anywhere interesting.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Is there some kind of DS forum somewhere with decent tips and tricks? A dedicated DS wiki? My Google searching hasn't lead me anywhere interesting.

Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story (direct follow up to the GBA game, which is a masterpiece)

Final Fantasy 3 & 4 (great 3D remakes)

Radiant Historia (Rare to find, but an absolute must play)

Pokemon Black/White (amazing plot that is very different from classic Pokemon)

Dragon Quest 4-6 (remade using 7's engine)

Dragon Quest 9

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Tales of Innocence (Translation Patch)

The World Ends with You

Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

Phoenix Wright series

Professor Layton series

As for the GBA

Final Fantasy 1,2,4,5,6 all got solid ports.

Metroid Fusion / Zero Mission

Golden Sun 1&2

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

Castlevania Circle of the Moon

Fire Emblem

Mario and Luigi (play it for Fawful, best villain since Kefka)
voodoozen likes this.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Pen's listed a bunch of great ones there, I'd also recommend Super Scriblenauts, it's way better than the original and tons of fun. You have to be able to spell, so you'll have to help the kids play it- I'd be a blast to see what their minds could come up with, though...

It might be worth a look over at this thread from Neogaf- it's a bit old now, but still gets bumped from time to time. Lots of amazing games on DS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue