27Likes

post #31 of 197 Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I've read that you can get it from 1st place.

I would hope so, but my experience with MKWii doesn't fill me with confidence. (In that game people claimed you can use a mushroom to boost out of the way of the blue shell, but I never ONCE got a mushroom in first place, and I played long enough to beat / unlock everything.) I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing the Super Horn must be gotten while not in first place and then used after you take the lead to kill the blue shell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 197 Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Are you sure that you never got a mushroom in first place? I can't go off any specific memories since I never really specifically paid attention to what I was getting while leading, but the more valueless items like a single mushroom are what I expect when I'm in 1st. I'll have to fire it up later on today and see.

Any previous tricks though were like going to dungeons out of order in a typical Zelda game and wasn't intended by the designers. Super Horn is specifically meant for this so I'm sure it will be useful on occasion and isn't dependent on great skill or luck.

And it definitely can be earned when leading.
post #33 of 197 Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Are you sure that you never got a mushroom in first place?

Absolutely. I played / unlocked like 3/4 of the game in the last few months, so it's very fresh in my mind. Not once. Banana peel, 3 banana peels, green shell, 3 green shells, I think that was it.

Anyway, the video looks promising, I'll wait and see how common it actually is before getting excited though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 197 Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 799
REALLY REALLY disappointed with battle mode, i love that mode and it sounds like it is pretty much worthless now. although i am excited about this game it is kind of like COD to me now, after about the 6th one it kind of becomes stale...
post #35 of 197 Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

Absolutely. I played / unlocked like 3/4 of the game in the last few months, so it's very fresh in my mind. Not once. Banana peel, 3 banana peels, green shell, 3 green shells, I think that was it.

Anyway, the video looks promising, I'll wait and see how common it actually is before getting excited though.

In MKWii, beating the blue shell with a boost mushroom DOES require you having one in your possession already, 'cuz the game will almost assuredly NOT give you one if already in 1st place. But it can be done with the right balance (or imbalance, I guess) of timing & sheer luck.

But really, folks....what is Mario Kart without those moments of soul-crushing defeat?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #36 of 197 Old 05-17-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I don't believe I ever experienced linked up Mario Kart Super Circuit, I went looking for videos of battle mode. Looks right up my alley so I wish M2's work on the GBA releases for the Wii U's Virtual Console included multiplayer functionality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNhH7pDXh4

Anyways, reason I'm posting was that apparently all the original SuperNes battle mode circuits are present in Super Circuit. Wish Nintendo had polished them up a bit and made them available (Like they did with the original's race circuits). Seems a waste to get most of the way there and then stop. If 8 battle circuits had been available, I'd seek another copy out of it just in case the opportunity ever presented itself to make use of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzWlVCq5MH8

And Super Mario Kart's feather needs to return to the franchise someday. It didn't do much for the racing half, but it was a fun addition for battle mode that added a lot to strategy.
post #37 of 197 Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've been clamoring for the return of the Feather for like every installment! I actually thought it was pretty versatile in racing, since not only was it necessary for certain obvious shortcuts (that one Ghost House one is forever ingrained in my mind) but could also be used to simply shave seconds off a tight turn or, in a pinch, could be used to avoid an attack. Imagine using a Feather at just the right moment right before a blue shell hit, propelling yourself up just above the upper boundary of its blast radius while still maintaining full speed. That would feel amazing.

I kinda get why it's never returned though, since in a 3D world it could probably easily lead to a lot of glitchy, unintentional shortcut shenanigans. Just think about the infamous "leap of faith" shortcut in the N64's Rainbow Road, and then imagine there was an item that let you take a huge leap whenever you wanted...

Edit: I've been watching these course videos at 720p/60fps: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_videos_mario_kart_8-15299_en.html Game looks incredible. I can't believe how vibrant and smooth it is.
DaverJ likes this.
post #38 of 197 Old 05-17-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot about using it for shortcuts. I believe there are others like on a Bowser Castle track, but too treacherous to depend upon unlike that Ghost House shortcut.

I suspect you're right about 3D entries, but it's a shame that Super Circuit lacked it. Especially since it was more than likely there at one point (Super Circuit started out essentially as a Mario Advance style conversion of the original) and possibly still is present, just inaccessible.
post #39 of 197 Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Decided to go ahead and buy the Wii U specifically for this game. I grew up on Nintendo systems, but skipped over the Wii. Excited to play some HD Mario Kart come next Friday.
DaverJ and Leo_Ames like this.
post #40 of 197 Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't think you'll be the only one buying a Wii U for this. I mean, not nearly as many as Nintendo would like, but probably still quite a few. Notice how Nintendo actually seems to be trying to promote this game, what with the early flood of reviews, ads running before Godzilla, and aggressive free-game promo? Hopefully they've turned a new leaf, if not a corner.
rjackson02 likes this.
post #41 of 197 Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just ordered a refurbished Wii U from Groupon. Next I will order Mario Kart and get Donkey Kong for 40% off (Toys R Us deal). The free game with Mario Kart will give me a nice library to sit on for a while.
post #42 of 197 Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Just ordered a refurbished Wii U from Groupon. Next I will order Mario Kart and get Donkey Kong for 40% off (Toys R Us deal). The free game with Mario Kart will give me a nice library to sit on for a while.

Good purchase!

If i can suggest a game from the selection, I'd say Zelda WW or Pikmin 3. Mario is fun but can be bought used for cheap.
post #43 of 197 Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Good purchase!

If i can suggest a game from the selection, I'd say Zelda WW or Pikmin 3. Mario is fun but can be bought used for cheap.

I'll get Zelda. I didn't have a Gamecube, so this will be perfect.
post #44 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm really excited for this game. At least in Japan Wii U is outselling all other consoles most likely due to this game right now.

I did the Toys R Us deal and got MK8 and DKC.

I'll be picking up Pikmin 3 as the free game as I already have Zelda. If anyone is debating on which game to get, Zelda for sure if you've never played it. Amazing game.
post #45 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
I pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 from Gamestop because I have a stack of older games to trade in.

I played Zelda on the Gamecube, and am somewhat tempted to replay it, but I think I'll get Pikmin 3 as the freebie.

Looking forward to tomorrow! cool.gif
post #46 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I'm getting pretty geeked for MK8. I'll be picking mine up from Meijer tomorrow morning when I get out of work. It's right next door. smile.gif I hope it has surround sound. I'll probably get Pikmin 3 as my freebie too. Never played Pikmin before so that'll be new.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #47 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bob36 View Post

...I did the Toys R Us deal and got MK8 and DKC...
What is this TrU deal of which you speak?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #48 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To echo others here...grabbing a copy in the AM & likely Zelda for the eShop freebie. May do the TrU deal in-store & grab a copy of DKC, which would net me 3 new Wii U titles for under $100.

In other MK8 news, looks like Japanese players will have access to free DLC in the form of a new kart courtesy of Nintendo's ad partnership there w/ Mercedes-Benz. IGN states that availability in the west is possible & "will be announced at a future date" per the big N. Plus, it gives new hints that MK8 will possibly get future DLC - I'm thinking new courses, karts, characters, and maybe more proper Battle Mode arenas could at some point materialize. Hit the link below to see a weird TV ad for the MK8/MBZ Japan offer and a screenshot of Mario behind the wheel of a Kart-ified Mercedes GLA.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/29/mario-kart-8-teaming-up-with-mercedes-japan-for-free-dlc

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #49 of 197 Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

To echo others here...grabbing a copy in the AM & likely Zelda for the eShop freebie. May do the TrU deal in-store & grab a copy of DKC, which would net me 3 new Wii U titles for under $100.

In other MK8 news, looks like Japanese players will have access to free DLC in the form of a new kart courtesy of Nintendo's ad partnership there w/ Mercedes-Benz. IGN states that availability in the west is possible & "will be announced at a future date" per the big N. Plus, it gives new hints that MK8 will possibly get future DLC - I'm thinking new courses, karts, characters, and maybe more proper Battle Mode arenas could at some point materialize. Hit the link below to see a weird TV ad for the MK8/MBZ Japan offer and a screenshot of Mario behind the wheel of a Kart-ified Mercedes GLA.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/29/mario-kart-8-teaming-up-with-mercedes-japan-for-free-dlc

Is it just me or that live-action Mario give me the creeps.....eek.gif
post #50 of 197 Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Anyone playing this game yet? If so, any early impressions? I'm going to start DLing it when I get home. Hopefully it'll finish downloading/installing so I can start playing it after watching yet another Nationals loss.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #51 of 197 Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

Anyone playing this game yet? If so, any early impressions? I'm going to start DLing it when I get home. Hopefully it'll finish downloading/installing so I can start playing it after watching yet another Nationals loss.

Skipped the TrU trip and checked eShop around 1000pm Pacific Thursday night. Lo & behold - MK8 was available. Also grabbed the free Wind Waker, cashed in an unused download code for Wii VC's Mario Tennis & cashed in some club coins to get the Wii U VC edition of Super Metroid & the Wii VC MK64 that the Club currently offers.

Ran thru a few 1-player Grand Prix courses & a few online matches before bed. If you dig MK, this is a no-brainer to invest in. Classic MK with one hell of a paint job. Will report more after the family runs thru some multiplayer.
DaverJ likes this.

post #52 of 197 Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm about to fire up MK8, but quick question.

I registered my copy of Mario Kart 8 on the Club Nintendo site, but now what? How do I get my code for the additional free game? confused.gif

It looks like the Club site is down at the moment, so maybe when it's back this will be apparent.
post #53 of 197 Old 05-30-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm about to fire up MK8, but quick question.

I registered my copy of Mario Kart 8 on the Club Nintendo site, but now what? How do I get my code for the additional free game? confused.gif

It looks like the Club site is down at the moment, so maybe when it's back this will be apparent.

You needed to be sure your Wii U was registered with Club Nintendo first. If you had already done that, you should be prompted when logging back into the the Club Nintendo site that you have your free game coming (a pop up will appear with links to each of the 4 offered titles).

If your Wii u was NOT registered w/ Club Nintendo prior to registering MK8....no dice, apparently.

In my case, I had registered a couple of our previous Wii U titles, but never the console itself. Fortunately read the eShop fine print first. Did the console registration, then bought MK8 via eShop about 5 minutes later. Within about 20 minutes, Club Nintendo gave me the prompt for the download code.

The Club site says it can take up to a day for purchases to register. I did mine late Thursday night Pacific time. Would not be surprised if the Nintendo servers are especially busy at the moment.
DaverJ likes this.

post #54 of 197 Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks jwebb! I just logged back in to the Club website and a notification came up that I qualified for one of the 4 games. It took a couple tries of timing out, but Pikmin 3 is downloading now! cool.gif

====

So Mario Kart 8 = AWESOME. The hype is real.

Don't bother with the 50cc races - those are for the kiddies and grandmas. wink.gif

Mostly playing single-player Grand Prix races to get a feel for the different characters and car options. Tried one on-line race, but lost connection halfway though. I wondered why I was suddenly doing good! biggrin.gif

Minor nitpick - it looks like it could use a light dusting of Anti-aliasing because jaggies and shimmering is prominent, but other than that, the game looks and plays fantastic.

Very pleased with this title - a GOTY contender!
jwebb1970 likes this.
post #55 of 197 Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Couple more thoughts:

The after-race highlight replay in Cup mode is actually pretty nice - just the big moments from the previous race, usually good but sometimes bad, in about a :10 second loop.

On-line races are tough! eek.gif For me it's usually a battle for 8th place. tongue.gif Each on-line race gives or takes away points, depending on what position you finish. So you start the game with 1000 points, finish in the top and points are added to this total. BUT, finish in the bottom, and points are removed. One day after release it looks like the guys with over 1200 points are currently the top players, but I'll bet in a couple weeks we'll see racers with insane overall scores. These races can be regional, which is mostly North America, or Worldwide. It's interesting to see all the countries that are playing MK8!

Tips: collect coins during the race for increased speed. During anti-gravity mode, hit opponents or the static poles for a speed boost. And don't forget to do tricks (R button) during jumps for a speed boost.

Good luck!
post #56 of 197 Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Luigi death stare:
NextCaringKinglet.gif

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #57 of 197 Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Great game, very impressive, easy access for everyone, and lots of fun.

The free game download promo was a great idea, great selection, but Nintendo really screwed it up big time.

I've been trying to connect and simply order the free game through Club Nintendo since Friday with varying degrees of success. Sometimes I can make it to the final game selection screen, most of the time I encounter a total site outage. I don't expect Nintendo to have a very robust online infrastructure but wow, this really highlights their shortcomings.

I hope they learn from this.
post #58 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the Wii U and Mario Kart today and love them both. I'm so happy.

My free game didn't work in UC Browser (Wario took my coins), but worked on my kindle Silk browser. Try a different browser if you can. The next game I need to get is Donkey Kong. Cloud 9.
post #59 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Don't bother with the 50cc races - those are for the kiddies and grandmas. wink.gif

I went through all the 50cc races last night to unlock the characters. Kinda boring, but something to do before bed.

I used to think the 100cc races were a good difficulty, but after playing the Time Trials and racing against the Nintendo staff ghosts, 100cc races are now a breeze. Following the Nintendo staff for 3 laps is the best way to learn the courses - shortcuts, where to boost-turn, when to use the mushroom boost to cheat over the rough terrain/cut corners.... I also unlocked a great vehicle I've become very comfortable with.

On-line racing is still quite a challenge -- there's some amazing racers out there! But man, the on-line is simply FUN, and this is coming from someone who rarely plays on-line.

Sorry for going on and on about this game, but MK8 has restored my faith in Nintendo. It gives me the same feeling I had in the early gaming days of Mario/Pilotwings/Zelda: fun, discovery, advancement, and "just one more try".
post #60 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/03/mario-kart-8s-beautiful-infinite-turtle-shell-explosion-trick

An apparent graphics glitch during replay mode makes for some impressive turtle shell explosions, as noticed by IGN.

And apparently, MK 8 is a big hit so far..

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-sells-1-2-million-becoming-wii-u-s-fastest-selling-game/1100-6420033/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page