Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Imagine if this had released around February or March of last year. We'd of course still be talking about a console fighting a losing battle, but they'd likely at least have something resembling GameCube style performance in their sights and a chance of making money.

Instead, despite decent launch performance, all momentum was squandered during the first half of 2013 due to nothing of the caliber of a game like this or Super Mario 3D World appearing when it was most needed.

Should've launched last Fall when a stream of software was actually ready. That year head-start didn't benefit them in the slightest, it only ended up sealing the system's fate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 206
In my 20 minutes of playing last night, the 150cc seemed a LOT easier than on MK Wii, but I haven't really played it enough to tell. So far, it looks amazing, just the fact that Mario Kart is in HD is amazing, and the anti-gravity stuff actually works remarkably well. I was a little skeptical when reading about it, but it does seem to work...
post #63 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 601
How is the catch up AI in this Mario Kart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

How is the catch up AI in this Mario Kart?

Well, it's Mario Kart. tongue.gif

Assuming you are talking about single-player - I haven't played the 150cc Cup races yet, but in 50cc I could get very far ahead, WAY ahead of second place, and maintain that lead with no problem. In 100cc there was some catch-up, but not bad, and even had some in my favor. Once I learned the courses, catch-up hasn't ruined things yet.

But it does cheat - when in first place, I believe I'm most likely to get coins as the "random" power-up instead of anything useful.

I haven't noticed any catch-up in multi-player. Unfortunately. eek.gif

The screen on the Wii U controller is pretty handy for glancing to see the map and where all the opponents are. *If* you can take your eyes of the main screen, which is something I don't know if I'll ever get used to.
post #65 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Mario Kart Double Dash had it the worst, I cleared everything but the All Cup Mirror mode 150cc due to the catch up AI. (3/4 of the way through the final lap I would get stunlocked by every AI targeting me with items in addition to a rubber band keeping me from getting too far ahead)

Mario Kart DS has no catch up AI, I could lap everyone by the end of a race and item spam was never an issue.

Those are the most extreme examples from the series, where Mario Kart 8 falls will effect my purchase. I still play Mario Kart DS thanks to how fun it is.
post #66 of 197 Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Can anyone confirm that their 5.1 surround is working for MK8? I'm getting stereo only, and I'm able to pass the surround test in the Wii u settings. It is outputting LPCM to my receiver. What gives?

Edit: After a restart I am getting sound from the surround channels, but nothing from the center channel.
post #67 of 197 Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't gotten anything in surround yet, I'll have to check my settings on the Wii U.
post #68 of 197 Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I haven't gotten anything in surround yet, I'll have to check my settings on the Wii U.

I can confirm the hearing the surrounds because they are BIG help hearing approaching shells, but not sure about the center speaker, which is commonly absent on this console.

So yeah, check your audio output settings in the TV setup section of the Wii U.
post #69 of 197 Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I know Surround works for me. I don't know if anything is coming out of my center though.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #70 of 197 Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I can confirm the hearing the surrounds because they are BIG help hearing approaching shells, but not sure about the center speaker, which is commonly absent on this console.

So yeah, check your audio output settings in the TV setup section of the Wii U.

I got it working with Surround. It was set to Stereo in the Wii U settings.
post #71 of 197 Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I know Surround works for me. I don't know if anything is coming out of my center though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I got it working with Surround. It was set to Stereo in the Wii U settings.

Good to hear it's working Bigg....

I listened tonight and nothing from the center channel. I wonder if the speaker on the controller takes up one of the audio channels, so they use the center..? confused.gif But anyway, a lot of games on the Wii U don't use the center channel.
post #72 of 197 Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I listened tonight and nothing from the center channel. I wonder if the speaker on the controller takes up one of the audio channels, so they use the center..? confused.gif But anyway, a lot of games on the Wii U don't use the center channel.

Sad frown.gif

Thanks for confirming guys. I don't mind stereo up front too much, but it would certainly feel more cohesive with a center channel. Perhaps tonight I will put Wii output to stereo and see if I like using Prologic in my AVR better.
post #73 of 197 Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm honestly not sure if there's anything coming out of the center channel. It looks like the Wii U is feeding the AVR a 5.1 signal, but that doesn't mean that the game actually puts anything on all those channels... It's going to be an adjustment from MK Wii, as I used to run MK Wii with All Channel Stereo mode, so the sound, which was only a 2-channel signal, would completely surround you.
post #74 of 197 Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This game is so fun!!

Bought it saturday and tried it yesterday with my girlfriend. She is now hooked!!! It's her first time playing Mario Kart and she loves it!

I'm leaving for a fishing trip.. I guess she'll have time to practice and beat me when I come back biggrin.gif

Only bad thing, the battle mode is dull. I miss the old Arena Type Maps
DaverJ, tomrowe125 and Osirus23 like this.
post #75 of 197 Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The ability to casually pick up the game, play a quick grand prix, and go do something else has been fantastic for me since I often have to chase down a 15 month old at home. I just unlocked all the characters and mirror mode. The offline races feel pretty competitive in 150cc and the computer doesn't cheat as much as past versions. I'll try some online games soon and know I will get humbled (destroyed?) immediately. I usually get pretty competitive playing online, but not in Mario Kart since I embrace the chaos.
DaverJ likes this.
post #76 of 197 Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

The ability to casually pick up the game, play a quick grand prix, and go do something else has been fantastic for me since I often have to chase down a 15 month old at home. I just unlocked all the characters and mirror mode. The offline races feel pretty competitive in 150cc and the computer doesn't cheat as much as past versions. I'll try some online games soon and know I will get humbled (destroyed?) immediately. I usually get pretty competitive playing online, but not in Mario Kart since I embrace the chaos.

It's hard to get really competitive in mario kart (at least for me) since there is so much more than just skills involved. You can be the best driver out there but get hit by lots of blue shell and other items and fall from the throne pretty quickly biggrin.gif

I still want to finish first and I am angry if I don't but that's how I am rolleyes.giftongue.gif
post #77 of 197 Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

The on-line races are equally as enjoyable as the off-line, and are also brilliantly drop-in, drop-out.

It's recommended to play the single-player Time Trials and beat the Nintendo staff ghosts on the courses - you will really know each track well, and concentrating only on the racing (no combat) is still fun-as-heck. Although it will make you wish you always had 3 mushroom-boosts handy.

When you go on-line and join a race in progress, you are in spectator mode. Use this time to switch between the different players and watch what the first, second, and third place racers are doing - lots of tips to be learned there!

One thing I noticed by doing this is Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
almost all the high-ranking on-line racers are using motorcycles, so time spent learning the two-wheeled vehicles is worthwhile IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

It's hard to get really competitive in mario kart (at least for me) since there is so much more than just skills involved. You can be the best driver out there but get hit by lots of blue shell and other items and fall from the throne pretty quickly biggrin.gif

I still want to finish first and I am angry if I don't but that's how I am rolleyes.giftongue.gif

I hear you - it feels like that, but I disagree.

Keep in mind there are people out there that race on-line for hours upon hours. They not only learn the intricacies of each track, but also have great situational awareness and know both offensive and defensive driving. These guys usually come in first through third in most every race.

I'm seeing well above 2000+ point racers, and the only way to get that many points is to finish in the top a lot of times. I'm happy if I finish 5th! tongue.gif
post #78 of 197 Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
This is one the best games ever made....period.

Online is brutal but local play with family is a blast.

This and Mario 3D World are worth the price of the console on its own.
Osirus23 likes this.
post #79 of 197 Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I hear you - it feels like that, but I disagree.

Keep in mind there are people out there that race on-line for hours upon hours. They not only learn the intricacies of each track, but also have great situational awareness and know both offensive and defensive driving. These guys usually come in first through third in most every race.

I'm seeing well above 2000+ point racers, and the only way to get that many points is to finish in the top a lot of times. I'm happy if I finish 5th! tongue.gif

I haven't touched Online yet, just finished all the 50CC Grand Prix last night, now redoing them for 3-stars each before jumping into 100cc.

I have no doubt that people online have alot of talent but against the opponent on 50CC.. I sometimes feel that it's only the items that cost me the race tongue.gif
post #80 of 197 Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've been having a BLAST with this game, definitely my favorite MK since Double Dash. Played some online races with my brother yesterday, and I made sure to save the replay of one particular race so I could send him this video immediately after (I'm Morton, he's Toad):

DaverJ, Dashboard and tfoltz like this.
post #81 of 197 Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I've been having a BLAST with this game, definitely my favorite MK since Double Dash. Played some online races with my brother yesterday, and I made sure to save the replay of one particular race so I could send him this video immediately after (I'm Morton, he's Toad):

That,s bad... keep the racing clean...

Wait, who am I kidding.. it's Mario Kart not Gran Turismo! Keep bumping him cool.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #82 of 197 Old 06-13-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
The screen on the Wii U controller is pretty handy for glancing to see the map and where all the opponents are. *If* you can take your eyes of the main screen, which is something I don't know if I'll ever get used to.
Just saw this post from a few days ago. It's partly how your HT is setup, and partly just personal preference, but I HATE the gamepad on MK 8. I haven't used it for much else, and it seems fine when navigating the menus.

The Wii U Pro Controller is surprisingly good. I like a traditional controller, and usually use GCN controllers on the Wii, so I REALLY like it. It is surprisingly good, so good in fact, that I ordered a second one so that I now have 3 old Wiimotes, 3 Motion Plus Wiimotes, and 2 Wii U Pro controllers. In addition to my 2 Wavebirds, 2 standard GCN, and 4 N64.
post #83 of 197 Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't spent a ton of time with Mario Kart 8 yet, but did tricks return? Pushing up on the d-pad is not only really inconvenient with the Wii U gamepad (The way you'd activate it with MKWii), but obviously doesn't work since the d-pad is an alternate steering choice.

Figured out things like the right timing for the starting boost in short order, but haven't picked up on how to do this yet when going over things like ramps.

Did they not carry that over? Kind of hope that they didn't since it didn't add much to MKWii.

And the guy worried a while back about the super horn must be happy. I seem to get it in the lead at least once a cup which isn't a bad average at all for such a powerful weapon.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.
post #84 of 197 Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You jump to do tricks.
post #85 of 197 Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I haven't spent a ton of time with Mario Kart 8 yet, but did tricks return? Pushing up on the d-pad is not only really inconvenient with the Wii U gamepad (The way you'd activate it with MKWii), but obviously doesn't work since the d-pad is an alternate steering choice.

Figured out things like the right timing for the starting boost in short order, but haven't picked up on how to do this yet when going over things like ramps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post
You jump to do tricks.
Specifically, you jump at, or just before, the top edge of the ramp.
post #86 of 197 Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I never thought to give that a try. Sounds like a much easier setup than how it worked in Mario Kart Wii.
post #87 of 197 Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2939 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
My NNID is BanzaiRoo if interested.
post #88 of 197 Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So what character/kart combinations is everyone using? I pretty much settled on Morton with Wild Wiggler + Crimson Slim tires + any weight-increasing, non-view-obstructing glider (usually Flying Squirrel). I feel like there are probably better combos out there, but I can't resist the ridiculous allure of a fat, stupid-sounding child lizard monster riding a caterpillar ramming people off the track. But speed is great and accel is fine for a heavy; handling could certainly be better but it's pretty manageable outside of a few harsh turns here and there. I consistently place in the top 2 in online races with this setup.
post #89 of 197 Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
So what character/kart combinations is everyone using? I pretty much settled on Morton with Wild Wiggler + Crimson Slim tires + any weight-increasing, non-view-obstructing glider (usually Flying Squirrel). I feel like there are probably better combos out there, but I can't resist the ridiculous allure of a fat, stupid-sounding child lizard monster riding a caterpillar ramming people off the track. But speed is great and accel is fine for a heavy; handling could certainly be better but it's pretty manageable outside of a few harsh turns here and there. I consistently place in the top 2 in online races with this setup.
I haven't tried online so I'm still trying different setups while doing the Grand Prix but I usually run a medium (Yoshi) with Sport Bikes - Slim or Crimson Slim Tires and the lightest glider (cloud, parasail, etc).

Good acceleration, ok speed, awesome handling. Get all the coins and you're set.

Seems to work well for me!
post #90 of 197 Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone seen a breakdown of the characters and parts, and how each element performs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page