Nintendo NX - Saving Grace or Hail Mary? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Had the makings of an interesting debate. Did I win you over or something?

Sorry, just haven't been in the Nintendo area of these forums for awhile and didn't notice your post.

Yeah, I don't know... I just know that Nintendo was notorious in the early and mid 90's for playing games with release date announcements. I've just seen it so many times in the past. Just give me an example of any major home console launch in the USA in the history of video gaming, and then I'll believe that Nintendo isn't bullshizzing with this.

Also, it could be one of those situations where Nintendo is kinda "hopeful" that this would actually happen, but I'm pretty sure deep down they know there is about a 10 percent chance of it actually happening (again, talking about the home console replacement, a portable unit in the Spring does make sense).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Today in Nintendo news: VDZ was right all along! (ok, this is all still rumors, but hey... Either Nintendo is reading my posts or I'm just getting good at this)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...le-controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurogamer
Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

For more on the console's power, Digital Foundry has a deep-dive look at the chip Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

...Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.
Mikazaru likes this.

Last edited by voodoozen; 07-26-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #33 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 372
If the docking station acts as an external GPU (à la Razer Core or Alienware Graphics Amplifier), I'm completely onboard. If not -- I'd probably still buy it, but would likely only use it as a handheld. Also, 32 GB cartridges? Sounds expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am personally hoping that Nintendo makes the "handheld is a console" as it will mean that all of their games are on one console.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
If the docking station acts as an external GPU (à la Razer Core or Alienware Graphics Amplifier), I'm completely onboard. If not -- I'd probably still buy it, but would likely only use it as a handheld. Also, 32 GB cartridges? Sounds expensive.

I've been thinking NX is exactly that for some time now- carts go into the handheld, docking or a neat wireless connecting tech simply enhances graphics while introducing minimal lag on TV, ala the WiiU gamepad.

curious to see what the selling unit will cost... or if you can buy one without the other.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 372

Here's the Digital Foundry video on the NX. If NX uses the Tegra X2, it'll be a pretty amazing little device.
voodoozen likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
https://youtu.be/C6cTt_nxTWo

Here's the Digital Foundry video on the NX. If NX uses the Tegra X2, it'll be a pretty amazing little device.
Good:
  • 1080p and 60FPS seem pretty likely
  • Devs can code to the metal, which would help if it really is an overclocked X1

Meh:
  • X1 is already a year old, but that's confirmed to be what's in the dev kits. He even said "think of the X1 as like a kind of turbo powered last gen processor".
  • Wii U level graphics won't really wow anyone, even for a handheld. Vita looks as good as most Wii U titles IMO

Sill some big unknowns, tho
  • Price point ($249 again? I don't think they can put a X2 in there for less than that, maybe not even a X1 depending on the rest of the system's specs)
  • Screen resolution
  • Multiplayer options (aka: Can NX be played over mobile networks or just wifi multiplayer?)
  • Just what DOES the dock add - maybe just recharge and pass through to TV play, or is upscaling and a power boost possible (please please please)
  • Game cost ($60 probably)
  • Launch lineup - this could easily kill the NX's chances against mobile if it drops with Z:BotW and everything else is Lego:whatever and Steel Diver -esque drivel
DaverJ likes this.
post #38 of 39 Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I'm just curious about Zelda going to both Wii U and NX. I mean, the rumored architecture couldn't be more different from what's in the Wii U. When Twilight Princess came to Wii and GC, the Wii was basically a souped-up GameCube. But now going from PowerPC to ARM, AMD to Nvidia, and who knows what else, I am genuinely curious how things will be ported.
Leo_Ames likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #39 of 39 Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I imagine that Zelda has been a pretty serious job on the NX if Eurogamer is correct. No plug and play conversion here like translating Twilight Princess to the Wii basically was.

Nice to see unofficial confirmation (If that can be such a thing) on what we've all been speculating about for so long. It makes a lot of sense for Nintendo and i think it will benefit the corporation and gamers alike.

Still concerns going forward though, but they retain my faith as always and I think that there's much more room for optimism here than there was with the Wii U.

Should be fun to see and experience.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-28-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page