• 1 Post By Marafice Eye

post #1 of 18 Old 09-15-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Super Mario Maker!

Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet, but anyone else pick this up? It's pretty dang fun, gotta say. Only made 2 levels so far because I'm playing like 4 other games right now, but if anyone has it, share your level codes!

Worst Level NA - 39AA-0000-003A-4AB4
Ride the Wave of Balls - 9A25-0000-003A-61A6

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-15-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Friend of a Friend posted this on his Facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/10000956589...1811499814365/

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #3 of 18 Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
Friend of a Friend posted this on his Facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/10000956589...1811499814365/

Link doesn't work.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
what is everyone's opinion on the game?? i've played some difficult levels; some of the time people spend though I cannot believe.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-27-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I like it quite a bit. There's some things missing from it ( like checkpoints in SMW levels, as well as slopes) but the sheer amount of levels that have already been created is insane.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-27-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
This is just my personal opinion but I for one cannot believe we have to pay for a glorified Mario paint, to me this signals laziness on Nintendo's behalf. Why should we (Nintendo) make another Mario game just let them(customer) do it.

I know anything Mario = $$$ but are we that gullible?

Not here to start a fight, I tried it out and do not like it one bit.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-27-2015, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
This is just my personal opinion but I for one cannot believe we have to pay for a glorified Mario paint, to me this signals laziness on Nintendo's behalf. Why should we (Nintendo) make another Mario game just let them(customer) do it.

Not here to start a fight, I tried it out and do not like it one bit.
It really has nothing to do with that. It's the fact that for years, people have been creating custom Mario stuff using 3rd-party, illegal makers (ala Kaizo Mario) and now there is a legitimate way to do just that. Besides, the more recent 2D Marios (NSMBU) were kinda crap. I much prefer user made levels to the typical stuff that Nintendo makes.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-27-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I just hope that this doesn't signal the end of true 2D Mario platformers. There's still a place for a Nintendo designed platformer with a world map, a cohesive set of levels, difficulty that isn't all over the place, etc.

This is a great complement, but hardly supplants the traditional 2D Mario platformer. So with any luck, it will drive Nintendo to innovate instead of the fairly lazy efforts that we've seen with the NSMB franchise.

I don't even know that I want every such release to include a level editor, since I don't want Nintendo to feel tied to the somewhat restricted level editor we'd likely be using. There's got to be some stuff that they'd like to do, but feel like implementing it in an intuitive editing program for the end-user would over-complicate matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
I like it quite a bit. There's some things missing from it ( like checkpoints in SMW levels, as well as slopes) but the sheer amount of levels that have already been created is insane.
Hopefully DLC will rectify some stuff like slopes, a mid-level checkpoint system, and fill in the many gaps for enemies (I believe that less than half of what Super Mario World has is included here, for an example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

lol

Beyond some neat nods to Mario Paint here and there, this really has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You're paying for a brand new 2D Super Mario Brothers platformer with a selection of professionally designed levels, an amazingly intuitive level editor that has few weaknesses (Two big ones of which have already been mentioned), and a virtually endless supply of user-created content that has already yielded many amazing levels.

It's hardly an early 1990's paint program modernized for the Wii U. I wish it had a similar music editor though, since it's amazing what people can do with Mario Paint's primitive capabilities.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 09-27-2015 at 07:39 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This level demonstrates something I'd like to see be changed. Allow the option to make tracks be invisible.

There's certainly a place for them to be visible, but clear cut paths here take away something where the more creative uses are concerned instead of the traditional moving platforms.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
This level demonstrates something I'd like to see be changed. Allow the option to make tracks be invisible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkfaWIkNR_w

There's certainly a place for them to be visible, but clear cut paths here take away something where the more creative uses are concerned instead of the traditional moving platforms.
I love the game concept, it's super easy to use and I think there's tons of creative ideas out there already, but I honestly don't see a long term goal for the game- Besides the 100 Mario Challenge, there's not really much to do once the novelty wears off... Sure, you can troll your friends and online players, and yeah, it'll be cool to see what crazy stuff gets done (like
), but in a couple of years I don't think many people will still be playing it. You don't actually 'win', which is kinda the point of 2D Marios.

Now a Mario Kart Maker? Dude... design 4 tracks, put them together into a cup and you've got infinite fun. But that's just me, maybe.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-29-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's why I feel it was a mistake on Nintendo's part to just allow single level uploads. A full 8x4 2D Mario adventure with 32 levels like the original SMB should've at least been possible to upload and download.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This was a great idea, way too late. There are just too many contenders out there to take away attention from this game. Probably would've been a smash hit if it was released around the N64 era. All those Mario side-scrollers would still be in peoples recent memories. I love NES/SNES Mario games and still play them on the original systems from time to time, but that's once in a blue moon. The enjoyment I would get from making awesome levels would be being able to play/share with them with friends. But I'm lucky to find anyone with that kind of enthusiasm nowadays, let alone the time.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the numbers would argue with that. In the first month the game sold over a million copies, had 2.2 million levels made, and had those levels played over 75 million times. So the enthusiasm is there. I think the main issue is how long will it remain? There are still missing features that many of us hope will be added (check points ala SMW, same with sloped surfaces, and possibly the art styles/assets of additional games.) So it'll be interesting to see what Nintendo does.
Leo_Ames likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One neat thing that I love and hadn't thought about, is that some creative individual has recreated most of the e-Reader add-on levels from the GBA port of Super Mario Bros. 3.

Most of us never got to experience these. But now that's easily accomplished, albeit with a different art-style, for all but two or three levels that just couldn't be faithfully recreated here.

While I never cared for the Super Mario All-Stars graphical makeover for the original , I'd love to see the Super Mario Bros. 3 art style/audio be added here as a downloadable theme in an update (Which formed the basis for the GBA port).

As much as I love the NES original of this classic, the SuperNes remastering is even better.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Checkpoints and some minor changes are coming.

No sign of slopes, vertically oriented levels, additional environments, Super Mario All-Star skins for the SMB1/3 themes, or significant additions to the enemy selection (I read that we're getting one new enemy based on the Mario Paint bee).

Still, this resolves what's likely the most common complaint.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-28-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Checkpoints and some minor changes are coming.

No sign of slopes, vertically oriented levels, additional environments, or significant additions to the enemy selection (I read that we're getting one new enemy based on the Mario Paint bee).

Still, this resolves what's likely the most common complaint.
Yeah I know checkpoints was a big thing for some folks. Glad it's coming. Hope they do the slopes soon.

post #17 of 18 Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtg View Post
what is everyone's opinion on the game?? i've played some difficult levels; some of the time people spend though I cannot believe.
I think it's fun. But the kids think it's too much work to do before you can actually do anything.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-10-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Just got this! If anyone feels like trying some reasonably challenging (but fair, I like to think) levels I made:

Hotfoot Castle
9900-0000-01EB-BF89

Crumbling Castle
3905-0000-01F0-306D

Everybody Hates Water Levels
B78D-0000-01EB-BE09

Fast & Cirr(i)us
7FBE-0000-01E4-C315
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version