Wii U Surround issues, need help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wii U Surround issues, need help

Hello,

I need help getting surround sound to work on my Wii U.
Here's my setup:

Wii U connected to receiver (Denon x520BT) then receiver to the TV.

The Wii U's surround sound test only works on the center Front Left and Right. No sound on the rear L and R speakers. I tried toggling surround to stereo and vice versa on the test menu on the Wii U but still no sound on the rear only stereo. My receiver supports up to 7.1 pcm and I've tried toggling the sound to direct, multi ch but it still doesn't work.

I do get it that some games do not work with 5.1 surround on the Wii U but I've tried all my games including Mario Kart 8 that does support pcm 5.1 but my sound only gets stereo. When I play the game the video is fine and the receiver display shows multi ch and means that its receiving the correct signal but still does not give me the surround sound.

I'm unsure on how to set it up as from what I've read from others, they just plug and play and gets surround. Even the surround test on the system options from the Wii U does not give me sound on the rear speakers. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wii U Surround issues, need help

How is your Wii U connected to your receiver? I mean, what are the audio cables?

Sorry, let me cut to the chase: I believe (and someone can correct me on this if I’m wrong) that the Wii U has no Dolby Surround capabilities, only uncompressed PCM. If you have your system connected with HDMI, it will play uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio. But if you only have it connected with red and white audio jacks, then it will only play back uncompressed two-channel audio, because the Wii U can’t encode the audio into a two-channel surround signal.

Last edited by abates17; 11-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
How is your Wii U connected to your receiver? I mean, what are the audio cables?

Sorry, let me cut to the chase: I believe (and someone can correct me on this if I’m wrong) that the Wii U has no Dolby Surround capabilities, only uncompressed PCM. If you have your system connected with HDMI, it will play uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio. But if you only have it connected with red and white audio jacks, then it will only play back uncompressed two-channel audio, because the Wii U can’t encode the audio into a two-channel surround signal.
My Wii U is connected to the Denon X520BT via hdmi and my receiver to the tv via hdmi as well. I know it should play uncompressed pcm but it doesn't do it. I tried switching the hdmi cables as the Wii U hdmi cable might be an old one so I used an hdmi cable 1.4 but still does not work even on the Surround Sound Test. Only the front left, right and center works. The receiver does detect the Wii U sending pcm as the receiver display shows multi ch but sadly no surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurius Farrence View Post
My Wii U is connected to the Denon X520BT via hdmi and my receiver to the tv via hdmi as well. I know it should play uncompressed pcm but it doesn't do it. I tried switching the hdmi cables as the Wii U hdmi cable might be an old one so I used an hdmi cable 1.4 but still does not work even on the Surround Sound Test. Only the front left, right and center works. The receiver does detect the Wii U sending pcm as the receiver display shows multi ch but sadly no surround sound.
I hear discrete surround sound in the surround test only and not in the games themselves. I just assumed that the games do not have actual discrete multi-channel surround. So I put the Wii U in stereo mode and use Prologic2x on my receiver to simulate surround sound. Are you able to do that?

But I'm not sure why you don't even hear discrete surround in the surround test. Did you talk to Denon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page