Wii U Center Speaker Not Used? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wii U Center Speaker Not Used?

Based on the posts here and google searches. Even if you have the Wii U Surround Mode correctly configured, it seems most games (if not all) simply don’t use the center channel. Currently I have tested it with the following games: Twilight Princess HD, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros Wii U and NSMBWU. They all use the front left, front right and the surround left and surround right as well as the LFE channel. However center channel seems completely muted. I was wondering if any of you has figure out a way for a work out (as it seems to a lazy attempted at surround by the nintendo team):
System setup:
Wii U -> HDMI -> Sony 1060 AVR -> HDMI -> TV
Wii U with surround sound active (all 5.1 tests are done correctly on the correct speaker)
Using ADF Auto (no added effects, DSP, as is sound).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildothack View Post
Based on the posts here and google searches. Even if you have the Wii U Surround Mode correctly configured, it seems most games (if not all) simply don’t use the center channel. Currently I have tested it with the following games: Twilight Princess HD, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros Wii U and NSMBWU. They all use the front left, front right and the surround left and surround right as well as the LFE channel. However center channel seems completely muted. I was wondering if any of you has figure out a way for a work out (as it seems to a lazy attempted at surround by the nintendo team):
System setup:
Wii U -> HDMI -> Sony 1060 AVR -> HDMI -> TV
Wii U with surround sound active (all 5.1 tests are done correctly on the correct speaker)
Using ADF Auto (no added effects, DSP, as is sound).
The Wonderful 101 also does not use the center channel.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Searching around (especially neogaf) this seems to be a known drawback to several Wii U games. Some (like the ones you tested with) apparently underuse or exclude the center channel in the surround mix. Others use all channels, but I haven't been able to find a definitive list of games with / without this problem. Another example of Nintendo failing at what (by now) should be a basic technological feat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2016, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Just as I feared; the games simply failed to utilize the center channel and send all front audio to the front left and front right speakers only. This is a major draw back on Nintendo's side. They have 5 full, independent 48 khz LPCM channels available at its disposal and the devs simply decide to use 4 of them because of reasons..

Heck, I already attempted to switch to stereo mode so I can use either Dolby PLII or Neo:6 to utilize all three front channels. The only drawback is since there is no native support for Dolby Pro Logic II on Wii U games, left and right surround stay unused. So it’s either center muted or surround channels muted..****, thanks Nintendo
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildothack View Post
Just as I feared; the games simply failed to utilize the center channel and send all front audio to the front left and front right speakers only. This is a major draw back on Nintendo's side. They have 5 full, independent 48 khz LPCM channels available at its disposal and the devs simply decide to use 4 of them because of reasons..

Heck, I already attempted to switch to stereo mode so I can use either Dolby PLII or Neo:6 to utilize all three front channels. The only drawback is since there is no native support for Dolby Pro Logic II on Wii U games, left and right surround stay unused. So it’s either center muted or surround channels muted..****, thanks Nintendo
Um, this is not the case. If you set your Wii U to output stereo, and turn on ProLogic2x you should be able to get sound from all speakers. That's what I do, and I get sound from all 7 speakers and subwoofer while playing games, using the YouTube app, anything.

However, the surround channels aren't always that active. The best way to check if they're working is to use the YouTube app and go to a video of a DTS or THX surround demo.

Last edited by WebEffect; 03-15-2016 at 06:55 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
Um, this is not the case. If you set your Wii U to output stereo, and turn on ProLogic2x you should be able to get sound from all speakers. That's what I do, and I get sound from all 7 speakers and subwoofer while playing games, using the YouTube app, anything.

However, the surround channels aren't always that active. The best way to check if they're working is to use the YouTube app and go to a video of a DTS or THX surround demo.
It is conflicted information, here is the info from nintendo's website explaning surround sound on wii u:

The Wii U uses six-channel linear PCM audio output. If your receiver does not support six-channel linear PCM audio output, you will not be able to use surround sound in Wii U mode.
With the latest system update, the Wii U now also supports Dolby Pro Logic II. This is only supported in Wii Mode."

However if you look at the back box cover of a wii u game, for example, NSMBU, it does have the PLII logo as on the attached picture. Now I am confuse for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52865-new-super-mario-bros-u.png
Views:	2419
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	1357274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page