Super Nintendo coverage now on RetroBlast (podcast) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Anthony1
  • 1 Post By salmotta17

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Super Nintendo coverage now on RetroBlast (podcast)

Now that I'm actually covering Nintendo products on RetroBlast, I figured I could start a thread over here where people actually read stuff. I have a thread in Home Theater Gaming general that nobody really sees...

Basically I have a retrogaming podcast where I'm going thru my chronological history of gaming in the early 1990's. The very first episode started with my purchase of a TurboGrafx-16 in December 1989. In Episode 4, I added the Sega Genesis to my stable (August 1990), and with the most recent episode... Episode 15... I added the Super Nintendo... First gaming system I ever purchased on the actual launch day...

There's nothing quite like getting a system on the actual launch day. It's a hard thing to describe, but I try my best on Episode 15. It's part 1 of the Super Nintendo Launch Special :

RetroBlast Episode 15

RetroBlast iTunes link

Episode 15 is the first episode with actual Nintendo game coverage, although Nintendo has been mentioned in many respects on previous episodes. This is the first real Nintendo coverage, and from this point forward, I mostly own a Nintendo gaming system of one kind or another for the next 20 something years, so I guess this forum is a good spot to have my RetroBlast thread going forward...

If AVS ever had a specific Retro-gaming Forum, I'd put it there of course... Nintendo is kinda the most retro of the gaming companies, so until we have a specific retro section, this should work nicely...
barrelbelly and HVAC Guru like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Episode 16 is now up......

Episode 16 features Part 2 of the Super Nintendo Launch Special...

Here is what is covered on the show:

1. Couple of things I forgot to talk about in episode 15
2. We take a close look at some SNES launch reactions via the rec.games.video newsgroup
3. Lengthy discussion on F-Zero, one of the best SNES games ever released:

4. I go off the rails with a personal story of something that happened to me in late August (besides the SNES) that would change my life forever :

DJ Quick changed my life forever ? Well.... kinda ?

5. We get into a discussion about Super Mario World:

The discussion of Super Mario World was cut short because I thought that the podcast was running super long. I totally forgot that we started recording 15 minutes late, and we also took a 15 minute break half way thru... Late in the recording session I thought we had already hit 3 hours, so we kinda ended the SMW discussion a bit too soon. Don't worry, I have plans to make up for this in a future episode...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Episode 17 is now up.....

Here is what is covered on ep 17:

1. I apologize for not keeping track of the show recording time and thus a shorter Super Mario World segment than it should have been on ep 16.
2. I explore the topic of... " Was the SNES launch lineup (day 1), the best in video game history ?"
3. I dig into various topics from the October 1991 issue of GamePro:

4. Then I go into a lengthy deep dive discussion on Gradius 3 for the SNES, my first purchase post SNES launch:

Last edited by Anthony1; 05-03-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2016, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anthony, is Episode 18 up yet?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmotta17 View Post
Anthony, is Episode 18 up yet?

Sorry man...

RetroBlast is on hold right now. I've got two major problems in regards to RetroBlast:

1. I simply don't have any time to work on the podcast right now. I'm very busy at work, and I've got a ton of stuff going on in my personal life as well. Just simply not enough hours in the day.

2. I've kinda lost my retrogaming mojo. I've tried recording episode 18 two different times. Each time I had to stop cause I just didn't have any passion when I was doing it, and it sounded horrible. I was basically going thru the motions. How did I lose my Retrogaming mojo ? Well, I used to be really into modern gaming, and didn't really care about retrogaming all that much, but then I got really, really bored of what was going on in modern gaming. I hardly ever played my Xbox One, and when I had my PS4, I hardly ever played that. Then I started to get back into retrogaming in a major way, and started up the podcast.

I'm still bored to death by Xbox One and PS4, but I recently got a HTC Vive (this VR headset thing). The HTC Vive has really blown me away. I feel like I felt when I first saw Doom or Super Mario 64. Anytime I have any free hours (which isn't very often ), I've been playing around with this VR stuff. I really think it's a game changer. I know that it's super early days in VR ( kinda like the Pong / Atari 2600 years ), but I can see the potential. I honestly think in 10 years people will look at two dimensional screens like most people look at 4:3 CRT tv's.

So, what does this mean for RetroBlast ?

I don't really know right now. I know that I won't be quite as busy in late June and early July, so I could probably get back to podcasting then, but I'm just wondering if I'll actually have the drive and passion to deliver quality episodes. I definitely don't want to fake it. My hope is that I will get my retrogaming mojo back and will be able to return to making episodes of RetroBlast, but there are no guarantees. I will say that if any new episodes are coming, they would probably start arriving in July, I don't think I'll be able to squeeze out any episodes prior to July.

I know this sucks. I wish I had more hours in the day to work with.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey buddy I know how it is, that's life. I gotta say though I know there will be a lot of disappointed fans. Honestly I listen to about 7 or 8 podcasts per week, and yours was the one that everything led up to. There's really nothing like retroblast. I saw that you have a handful of new reviews and it seems as though the show is growing. Have you thought about sending out a little PSA to the listeners on this? Aren't you worried that the subscribers will get rid of it knowing they haven't gotten an episode in a while? If you have any inclination of doing it again, I'd protect some of that momentum by letting everyone know where you're at. Even say 5 minutes just to give in update in podcast form.

Another idea is to meld some of your new experiences in with the old stuff, possibly a comparison of things that are going on now vs. then. That might keep it fresh for you.

I'm trying to think of ways to keep this going. We need our retroblast!

Whatever ends up happening, I'll always appreciate what you've done already, and I wish you all the best, brother.

Sal
barrelbelly likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
You do what you gotta do. I know I'm getting a bit burned out on the podcast I do, there just hasn't been a whole lot I feel excited to talk about so I know how you feel. It feels like I'm hitting a slump in gaming in general, just doing the grind but not really enjoying it? If that makes sense.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

salmotta17 - Hey, sorry I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Just saw your post today..

I actually just put up a little 15 minute message to the RetroBlast listeners in the feed. It pretty much explains whats going on with RetroBlast going forward. Check that out when you get a chance.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2016, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
salmotta17 - Hey, sorry I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Just saw your post today..

I actually just put up a little 15 minute message to the RetroBlast listeners in the feed. It pretty much explains whats going on with RetroBlast going forward. Check that out when you get a chance.

Sorry to hear that you're putting things on hold, but I totally understand your thoughts on revisiting retro games and running into fatigue. It's not easy doing a passion project like this, there has to be a constant flow of energy to keep creating content like you have, certainly appreciate the work you've done so far, tho!

I'm not sold on modern games, either... 50GB day-one patches, DLC and the toxicity from some online gaming communities has absolutely killed most of the interest I had for current gen games... I'm just not hardcore, and if what's going on now is the new landscape I never want to be.

Which is why I love revisiting retro so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page