Nintendo only gamers, is it seriously as bad as people make it to be? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nintendo only gamers, is it seriously as bad as people make it to be?

Personally, I don't think it's bad, hear me out.

What can you do if you have no money or you're just simply not interested in the exclusives that comes out on other consoles? You're not going to buy them.

But what I kinda dislike, is how people love to force people to buy or do things.

Imo, I would recommend for everyone to just try every console that have the exclusives that interest you and try to not force people buying other console that they don't really care about. Wait...this is the internet, nobody is going to listen to me anyways....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

What can you do if you have no money or you're just simply not interested in the exclusives that comes out on other consoles? You're not going to buy them.

But what I kinda dislike, is how people love to force people to buy or do things.

Imo, I would recommend for everyone to just try every console that have the exclusives that interest you and try to not force people buying other console that they don't really care about. Wait...this is the internet, nobody is going to listen to me anyways....

I was Nintendo exclusively through the Wii era by my own choice, because I felt like most of the other "big games" were all FPS and generic Space Marine schlock that didn't interest me. I didn't really feel bad about it until the Wii U dropped. The Wii U and gamepad didn't really grab me, so I picked up a PS3 for nearly nothing and went through some of the more exciting last-gen games that I had missed (like Uncharted, Red Dead, The Last of Us).

After playing through a few dozen non-Nintnedo titles I'm finding out now that not only did Ninty miss out on the revenue and fan building that multiplat and AAA hardcore games bring, but by ignoring the other consoles they totally missed how to provide the services that modern gamers desire. I loved first-party exclusives on GCN and Wii, DS and 3DS have solid lineups, but by isolating themselves and their offerings to essentially just diehard Nintendo fans they let important things like a good eShop, achievements, thriving VC, online, etc pass them by. I'm still not convinced that the NX will be enough at this stage; gaming in general is in a vastly different place than Nintendo seems to understand based on their last 3-4 years worth of experimenting that was the WiiU. This is what I imagine a typical meeting at Nintendo looked like circa 2010:

Doesn't mean I don't love my Ninty. I admire that they've stuck to what they do and done it very, very well, no one else could have produced the games and brought fun that they have, but staying in a self-imposed walled garden is possibly going to force them to a future that rivals only Sega's decline. They have to step it up and REALLY work on getting gamers from all areas to buy in, not just the holdouts like you and me. Continuing to pretend that being skipped by big third party games and a offering less-than-adequate user experiences will somehow still lead to console sales is basically writing the same their own eulogy. I only hope that the recent slew of bad news and unremarkable E3 announcements are just a gray cloud passing by rather than an indication of how the new Ninty will be moving forward.
RLBURNSIDE and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by voodoozen; 05-11-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just got a switch because I've regretted missing Nintendo titles for the past Wii generations and it was killing me. Nintendo drives me up the wall, but some of their first party titles are just great.
EddieS1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I bought a Switch and if the only game they ever came out with was Zelda, it would still be worth it IMHO. BOTW is the best game I've played in a very, very long time. Yes, my computer puts out nicer graphics, but the game looks great even on my 106" screen.
Toe and qwank like this.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've always personally loved nintendo consoles. The gameplay is always smooth and consistent 60 FPS. I just fired up my snes and my n64 after 17 years in storage. Both play like a dream.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nobody should be judged on what kind of games they like. Plenty of people are Xbox-only gamers, plenty are Playstation-only gamers, and there are plenty of people who only play games on their PC. I've been a Nintendo-only gamer for about 15 years, and I couldn't be happier. I'm just glad they consistently put out quality material, which means I don't need to look elsewhere to find the kinds of games I want to be playing.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Johnson 2 View Post
I've always personally loved nintendo consoles. The gameplay is always smooth and consistent 60 FPS. I just fired up my snes and my n64 after 17 years in storage. Both play like a dream.

Even when it's not 60 fps, they usually impress.

Supposedly Wave Race runs at 20 fps on the N64, but I'd of never known. I wouldn't of bet money that it ran at 60 fps since any N64 gamer will have played F-Zero X and seen the sacrifices necessary to achieve 60 fps on the console, but I'd of bet good money that it was an unwavering 30 fps.

But if we said 20 fps today for a game, people would think it would look like a slideshow since it likely would be unlocked and every fluctuation in a desperate attempt to run at 30 fps would create a choppy looking mess.

Yet I guarantee that frame rate trouble has never been a complaint that any gamer had with Wave Race 64.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Nintendo does what Nintendo does very well, BUT they long ago lost sight of the gaming industry as a whole.

The reality is that Nintendo makes enough games that are worth playing that I think it makes sense to have a Nintendo console as a second system, however it hasn't made sense for an only system for at least the last 3 generations. I actually find it shocking when I come across peoples comments that imply that Nintendo is the be all and end all for gaming, and that doesn't seem to be that uncommon. Yes everyone likes different things, but to willfully ignore the rest of the industry blindly waving the Nintendo flag while claiming to be serious about video games is what I find unusual. For people that like to pick up a game here and there, then to each their own, whatever you like to play.

Last edited by plasma_fan; 06-23-2017 at 08:57 AM.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I think a lot of diehard fans like myself recognize their flaws.

But those mean little when you're sitting down with something like the latest Super Mario Brothers platformer. People that love Nintendo hardware these days do so for these games, rather than letting the focus on what a Nintendo system isn't drag the entire thing down. But that doesn't mean we're unaware of the issues.

I'd argue that Nintendo has failed with 3rd parties since day 1. First it was their heavy handed and monopolistic policies during the NES years that left publishers eager to jump ship to support a viable competitor. I don't think it's any coincidence that they then lost 1st place with the SNES once there was a viable non-Nintendo console to support, until Sega basically scuttled the Genesis prematurely and Nintendo briefly took back the top spot.

Other than the pop culture Wii anomaly, Nintendo has lost market share every generation in the console world after their first, including being bested by newcomers to the console marketplace two generations in a row during the late 90's and early 2000's.

I think it all comes down to their 3rd party relationships. Nintendo's policies, support system, hardware design, and so on just aren't designed with their best interest paramount.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-24-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Each console has their good and bad games. It depends on what genre you're into. Nintendo has always been great with their platformers and always has those magical moments in their first-party games that can keep you entertained, and so do the games from the other consoles. It's not worth being a fanboy and closing yourself off from a great game just because it's on another console.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I opened this thread thinking it might have answers to my reservations about the hardware, as I've read many complaints. I haven't seen anything like that. That's why I haven't bought one yet. I agree, they're way behind the times on modern gaming features, but I'd be fine with that if the hardware itself was solid.

Part of me actually hopes they fail as a console maker, and turn into a 3rd party developer for other consoles. Then I wouldn't even worry about buying multiple consoles. Imagine Xbox achievements for the latest Mario Kart...
post #12 of 33 Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post
I opened this thread thinking it might have answers to my reservations about the hardware, as I've read many complaints. I haven't seen anything like that. That's why I haven't bought one yet. I agree, they're way behind the times on modern gaming features, but I'd be fine with that if the hardware itself was solid.

Part of me actually hopes they fail as a console maker, and turn into a 3rd party developer for other consoles. Then I wouldn't even worry about buying multiple consoles. Imagine Xbox achievements for the latest Mario Kart...
The Switch hardware is great, solid feel, nice screen, joycons are tiny but work well, the pro controller is excellent. The operating system is currently lacking, I am hopeful that future updates will resolve this. I bought one for Zelda and the promise of what will come, the typically great 1st party titles and high hopes of 3rd party support. That said once I was finished with Zelda I went back to the Playstation and with few exceptions haven't picked up the Switch at all (Arms demo was all and it didnt click with me).
post #13 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I bought a Switch and if the only game they ever came out with was Zelda, it would still be worth it IMHO. BOTW is the best game I've played in a very, very long time. Yes, my computer puts out nicer graphics, but the game looks great even on my 106" screen.
Great to hear this. I have a Switch hitting tom and the game I mainly bought it for is Zelda. Last Zelda game I played was the N64 game (Ocarina of Time I believe) which was one of the best games I've ever played, so hoping BOTW is as good or better. Looks amazing from what I've read and seen of videos. Haven't gamed at all in a few years. Can't wait!

Also want to play the new Mario in October and Mario Kart.
post #14 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Great to hear this. I have a Switch hitting tom and the game I mainly bought it for is Zelda. Last Zelda game I played was the N64 game (Ocarina of Time I believe) which was one of the best games I've ever played, so hoping BOTW is as good or better. Looks amazing from what I've read and seen of videos. Haven't gamed at all in a few years. Can't wait!

Also want to play the new Mario in October and Mario Kart.
It may sound hard to believe, but Mario Kart looks absolutely stunning to my eyes on my screen. I didn't look closely for things like aliasing or jaggies or pop-in as I was too focused on the incredibly detailed and creative levels. The game is just so much fun! I'm playing it with my 8 and 11 year old and we are having a blast. It seems like after every circuit we do we unlock a new car, so it keeps things fresh.

As far as Zelda is concerned...OOT holds a place in many people's hearts, but BOTW is just vast and there is so much to do. Honestly, so many times I just got caught up in exploring what was over the next mountain or hill and neglecting the main quest, or I'd go and collect a bunch of mushrooms and apples in the forest. And it hasn't gotten boring. My favourite thing is going to the top of one of the towers and just "hangliding" down to the bottom. I can't say enough good things about this game - it is the best Zelda I've ever played.

A new Metroid is coming out and Mario Odyssey looks amazing. I don't think I'd want the Switch as my only console, but I think if you're a gamer you really owe it to yourself to get the Switch. Glad you're picking one up, Toe. Let us know your thoughts.
Toe likes this.
post #15 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I'm starting to worry that CEMU will never be able to emulate BOTW at 60fps properly, it might not even be possible even with hacks. That said, playing with it a 2160p on my 1080p projector is stunning. Much better than it looked like on my Wii U. I sold my Wii U.
post #16 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I'm starting to worry that CEMU will never be able to emulate BOTW at 60fps properly, it might not even be possible even with hacks. That said, playing with it a 2160p on my 1080p projector is stunning. Much better than it looked like on my Wii U. I sold my Wii U.
Have there been some decent updates for CEMU? I don't have a stellar system, but it's decent and Zelda ran like @$$ the last time I used it (few months ago).
post #17 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 PM

It's definitely getting better, I'm sure they'll reach full graphical and gameplay parity (in terms of special FX all showing up correctly and at least 30fps). However 30 fps isn't enough for me, I'll wait until it runs at 60 or probably not bother finishing it. Honestly the bigger thing that irks me more than aliasing or low FPS is the fact that the weapons break. That's not a fun mechanic for me, as a life-long D&D fan I find it annoying as F.
post #18 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's definitely getting better, I'm sure they'll reach full graphical and gameplay parity (in terms of special FX all showing up correctly and at least 30fps). However 30 fps isn't enough for me, I'll wait until it runs at 60 or probably not bother finishing it. Honestly the bigger thing that irks me more than aliasing or low FPS is the fact that the weapons break. That's not a fun mechanic for me, as a life-long D&D fan I find it annoying as F.
I get it. I mean, if the weapons break, at least let us fix them at a blacksmith or something. I have some amazing looking weapons that I don't even use because I'm afraid of them breaking, so they're just taking up space in my inventory.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Yeah at least let you fix them, that would work. Or have to re-sharpen them at the smith's so their damage degrades if you overuse them. I looked up in my guide book and apparently the Master Sword can't break but it does have a cooldown! Like, that's the crowning weapon?
post #20 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah at least let you fix them, that would work. Or have to re-sharpen them at the smith's so their damage degrades if you overuse them. I looked up in my guide book and apparently the Master Sword can't break but it does have a cooldown! Like, that's the crowning weapon?
Yeah, and it looks like a horse's @$$. It's the most boring looking weapon out there. The Hylian shield is basically unbreakable and it looks pretty awesome, in a retro Zelda kinda way.
post #21 of 33 Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 4648
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

I can't believe people are still having this Console War Choice conversation in 2017! For mature human beings, the answer is rather obvious.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #22 of 33 Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I can't believe people are still having this Console War Choice conversation in 2017! For mature human beings, the answer is rather obvious.
And you're insinuating that those who buy a Switch aren't mature or are you saying that mature people have money and can therefore afford to buy more than one console? Because if you're saying that the obvious answer is a PS4, XBOX One or PC then your maturity is debatable - any person of any age can enjoy a game if it suits their fancy. If you take that stance you're also missing out on some really great games.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Personally. I dislike the Nintendo mantra - Long waits for CS support. Nintendo products tend to be VERY expensive (they want their monies, man). Limited game support at launch. The inadvertent push of their accessories. But I cannot ignore the amazing things they've done, especially with the Switch. I can't seem to put mine down. The features are great and the portability factor is icing on the cake. Their games are hella-entertaining and with the announcements of a lot more titles coming the Switch's way, it's going to be a busy season the Switch owners

- Eddie S.

Vizio M50-E1 / Sony STR-DH790 / Nintendo Switch / Playstation 4 Pro
Polk Monitor70 Series II (Main) / Polk CS1 Series II (Center) / Polk Monitor40 Series II (Rear)
post #24 of 33 Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I personally don't care what people buy or play with, everything is cool. I own a Switch, PS4 pro, Xbox One X, and PC, I play them all. What does annoy me though is when people who haven't been playing games since the Wii act like Zelda is this major groundbreaking thing. Like have these people not played Fallout? Or Witcher 3? Mass Effect? Horizon Zero Dawn? Like relative to those games and other games of the past 10 years, Zelda has no story, gameplay which isn't the greatest, swords that break constantly, etc. I get it, it has a huge world...so does every other game now. I think it's the lack of perspective...it would be like me saying I only like NHL 18 even though I've never player Madden, NBA 2k18, The Show 17, or FIFA 18. Then tell everyone NHL 18 is the best sports game ever, even though I have no perspective from playing all the sports. It could possibly even be true, but without background in everything it's hard to say things like that.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
http://gameroominfo.com/
post #25 of 33 Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 125
it's much better these days with the Switch. I own all consoles, but I'm starting to buy 3rd party multi plat games on Switch just to play on the go - even though it doesn't have achievements (which does bug me)
post #26 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post
I personally don't care what people buy or play with, everything is cool. I own a Switch, PS4 pro, Xbox One X, and PC, I play them all. What does annoy me though is when people who haven't been playing games since the Wii act like Zelda is this major groundbreaking thing. Like have these people not played Fallout? Or Witcher 3? Mass Effect? Horizon Zero Dawn? Like relative to those games and other games of the past 10 years, Zelda has no story, gameplay which isn't the greatest, swords that break constantly, etc. I get it, it has a huge world...so does every other game now. I think it's the lack of perspective...it would be like me saying I only like NHL 18 even though I've never player Madden, NBA 2k18, The Show 17, or FIFA 18. Then tell everyone NHL 18 is the best sports game ever, even though I have no perspective from playing all the sports. It could possibly even be true, but without background in everything it's hard to say things like that.
Perhaps for some it has more to do with nostalgia than not playing those other games. As with Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild's characters, locations and other elements bring back lots of positive memories and enhance the mood.

From my perspective as a mostly high-end PC gamer, I do believe that Breath of the Wild is a much more enjoyable game than anything from the Fallout, Witcher and Mass Effect series. Not necessarily groundbreaking, but much more enjoyable which is what really matters in gaming.
post #27 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It isn't about comparing Zelda to these other games. Nintendo compares to itself. It's all 1st party IPs that people care about, and so you compare those to past games in those series. Compared to Skyward Sword it's a giant leap. And it throws away many past conventions of Zelda. The breaking weapons only makes it more like those games you listed - more realistic. The lack of any direction makes it open world and COMPLETELY open, unlike any other game you listed. You only have one goal - defeat Ganon. That's pretty innovative. There is a story, but it's not in your face - you have to find it. Like Dark Souls.
post #28 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
The breaking weapons only makes it more like those games you listed - more realistic.
I can totally believe that Zelda is more fun that a lot of other games for a lot of people. If you like open world exploration and you hate cutscenes/story elements, then Zelda is going to stomp on any of the rpg's on the xbox/ps4/pc. Probably in the same way where people play minecraft for 100's of hours, whereas I can't even play it for 10 minutes without getting bored.

The weapon thing though is definitely not realistic. I've seen in other games:

a) weapon gets worn down and does way less damage, but can be repaired
b) weapon gets worn down and breaks, but can be repaired at like a blacksmith
c) weapon can be repaired, but if you let it get too low then it will break and be unrepairable (very few games use this)

but never Zelda which is weapon breaks with very little use with no repair option. So in those other games, if I hit a tree over and over, a) is the typical outcome or possibly b). In zelda if you hit a tree with your sword it just breaks and is gone forever. In real life, if I was to hit a tree with a sword, which would it do?

a) get dull and eventually do less damage to tree?
b) get worn down and possibly break, but could be repaired at a shop?
c) break after a few hits and thrown away, never to be used again?

Obviously, a) or b) is what would happen 'realistically'. C wouldn't happen, even 1000 years ago. It's very frustrating to have to 'horde' my best weapons and use crappy ones just to save them for boss battles and such. I can think of no other game in the past 20 years where I've had to do that.

They made all kinds of awesome design decisions in the game, but that wasn't one of them. And maybe if it was the wooden weapons that only broke, it would make more sense. The metal ones though doesn't add up.

My website on game room related stuff like pinball, bubble hockey, foosball, home theater, etc.
post #29 of 33 Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can totally believe that Zelda is more fun that a lot of other games for a lot of people. If you like open world exploration and you hate cutscenes/story elements, then Zelda is going to stomp on any of the rpg's on the xbox/ps4/pc. Probably in the same way where people play minecraft for 100's of hours, whereas I can't even play it for 10 minutes without getting bored.

The weapon thing though is definitely not realistic. I've seen in other games:

a) weapon gets worn down and does way less damage, but can be repaired
b) weapon gets worn down and breaks, but can be repaired at like a blacksmith
c) weapon can be repaired, but if you let it get too low then it will break and be unrepairable (very few games use this)

but never Zelda which is weapon breaks with very little use with no repair option. So in those other games, if I hit a tree over and over, a) is the typical outcome or possibly b). In zelda if you hit a tree with your sword it just breaks and is gone forever. In real life, if I was to hit a tree with a sword, which would it do?

a) get dull and eventually do less damage to tree?
b) get worn down and possibly break, but could be repaired at a shop?
c) break after a few hits and thrown away, never to be used again?

Obviously, a) or b) is what would happen 'realistically'. C wouldn't happen, even 1000 years ago. It's very frustrating to have to 'horde' my best weapons and use crappy ones just to save them for boss battles and such. I can think of no other game in the past 20 years where I've had to do that.

They made all kinds of awesome design decisions in the game, but that wasn't one of them. And maybe if it was the wooden weapons that only broke, it would make more sense. The metal ones though doesn't add up.
I feel like you're way overthinking this. Weapons are super plentiful, everywhere - unlike games where you can repair weapons. It's just pick up and go after you defeat an enemy. There are games like Dark Souls where yes you can repair weapons, but you only get like one of each unique named weapon. In Zelda wait 5 minutes and you'll have 5 more weapons. So, who cares really?
post #30 of 33 Old 01-13-2018, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I feel like you're way overthinking this. Weapons are super plentiful, everywhere - unlike games where you can repair weapons. It's just pick up and go after you defeat an enemy. There are games like Dark Souls where yes you can repair weapons, but you only get like one of each unique named weapon. In Zelda wait 5 minutes and you'll have 5 more weapons. So, who cares really?
Never played Dark Souls so I can't comment on that, just on other games I've played. I'm not overthinking it, it's simply:

Would the game be better or worse if the weapons didn't break all the time?

The answer is clearly it would be better if the weapons didn't break. It's the #1 complaint I've heard from all my friends as well. It's just super annoying to be battling 'whoops, sword broke again' and then have to switch to another sword mid fight. It's just really weird thing to put in a game that's so good otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page