E3 2016: Zelda... and friends! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By voodoozen

post #1 of 14 Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
E3 2016: Zelda... and friends!

WHEN:June 14 9am PST, starting with Reggie debuting Zelda for Wii U, with "all day" livestreams, demos", etc following. Zelda will get a specially-designed booth for attendants to enjoy (the only thing confirmed to be at a Nintendo booth for E3)

WHERE:http://e3.nintendo.com/#, YoutTube Gaming and probably Ninty's official YouTube channel

WHAT: Well, that's a good question... at first the whole Nintendo event was going to be Zelda-focused, but just today we learned that the Treehouse event will be including some additional games for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, including Monster Hunter Generations, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Quote:
Nintendo heads to E3 once again and brings the coverage directly to you with a two-day program from Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3! Tune in starting at 9 a.m. PT on June 14 for a day of live-streaming gameplay focused on The Legend of Zelda for Wii U and first live gameplay of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon that kicks off the program! Watch it all here:
Day 2 of Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3 will showcase upcoming releases for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, including Monster Hunter Generations, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ! Day 2 will start with a special Pokémon GO developer Q&A at 10 a.m. PT on June 15 at:

And whatever this logo is, it's displayed prominently on e3.nintendo.com

More info and links to come!

Meanwhile, my (rarely-accurate) predictions:

• ZELDA
    • Zelda will have more dungeons than usual, likely 9-12, but no traditional 'walled' approach to the overworld like traditional Zelda. Players can go anywhere, but may be outclassed and stuck until they have the proper equipment
    • New Zelda will not feature voice acting
    • Old items like the raft and flute will return!
    • Fast travel will be available, but no one will say a word about how it works or when during the game you get it
    • Game will feature a magic and spell system, which can be applied to your weapons. Fire sword, ice boomerang, etc.
    • Link is still male
  • NX
    • NX will not be seen, nor really spoken about except to say "Zelda's coming for NX, too!"
    • There will be no release dates, pricing or rumors to confirm what the system actually is about
    • VR is part of the concept, but it'll only be alluded to via accidentally dropped hints and clues from screenshots/world layouts.
  • 3DS
    • No surprise announcements: All games shown will have already been released/announced or otherwise confirmed prior to E3. Mostly Japanese games coming to other regions
    • Nothing of any importance for 3DS will be announced to release after March 2017 (because NX handheld will be coming then)
    • Maybe some new hardware skins or special editions will be announced. Nothing major
  • SUPER ULTRA DOUBLE SHOCKER REVEAL
    • Metroid will be getting new Amiibos. Then the internet will explode with rumors as nerds like me get overexcited... then sob in the dim light of their laptops as their hopes and dreams of a new HD Metroid game are slowly but predictably reduced to tears and ash
abates17 likes this.

Last edited by voodoozen; 06-13-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
No voice acting is a relief.

There is no way that Nintendo's Treehouse team could manage to implement that even halfway well had they gone down that path (And if they ever do, I hope Nintendo keeps Link silent just like Gordon Freeman in the defunct Half-Life franchise).

And I'm sad to not see a Vol. 2 at the end of Sega 3D Classics Collection.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Isn't that center part at least the logo from the gossip stones in OoT?

Edit: Only part right. It's the Skyward Sword variant:

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 06-04-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
No voice acting is a relief.

There is no way that Nintendo's Treehouse team could manage to implement that even halfway well had they gone down that path (And if they ever do, I hope Nintendo keeps Link silent just like Gordon Freeman in the defunct Half-Life franchise).

And I'm sad to not see a Vol. 2 at the end of Sega 3D Classics Collection.
The voice acting is just my speculation - totally not confirmed!! Although I really just presumed that it won't have voice acting, not having characters speak is something I've come to realize I prefer in my Zeldas. ThatOneKidMongo really swayed me when he likened the Zelda series to playing an interactive comic/manga/story than an interactive movie. Good guy, that Mongo.

And there's some new official art out there, plus some details on the treehouse and Miitomo activity.

?SPOILER?: Link is a righty? And rather androgynous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
June 8

The Legend of Zelda Twitter campaign for Miitomo in-app gifts: Miitomo users should check @NintendoAmerica on Twitter today for a special tweet kicking off a collaboration between the mobile app and the Legend of Zelda franchise. If the tweet gets a combined 10,000 retweets worldwide, Nintendo will issue a “Link’s new hair wig” as an in-app gift to all users of Nintendo’s Miitomo mobile app. If it gets 20,000 combined retweets, Nintendo will give all Miitomo users a “Link wig” in the Miitomo app.

June 14

More of The Legend of Zelda in Miitomo: Miitomo will continue its celebration of The Legend of Zelda with a themed Miitomo Drop game that will give players the chance to win The Legend of Zelda-themed in-app gear for their Mii character. Players will also be able to use Miitomo coins in Miitomo to purchase The Legend of Zelda collaboration items. An additional The Legend of Zelda collaboration gift will be available on the My Nintendo website, and players can exchange their My Nintendo Platinum Points for this item.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live – Day 1: Nintendo’s kickoff to the E3 trade show begins at 9 a.m. PT, with an introduction by Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime and the world’s first look at live gameplay of The Legend of Zelda game for the Wii U console. Viewers can also catch the first live gameplay of the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon games. Watch Nintendo Treehouse: Live via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on http://e3.nintendo.com.

Nintendo eShop sale: Starting at 11 a.m. PT until 8:59 a.m. PT on June 21, Nintendo is offering discounts on some of its most popular games as a special treat for fans. My Nintendo members who are signed in will also get a special bonus if they buy select games included in the sale. Anyone who hasn’t signed up for My Nintendo yet is encouraged to do so now to avoid the E3 rush. To get the extra discount, My Nintendo members must link their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Network ID and access Nintendo eShop on their device at least once before they make a purchase. The discounted games can be purchased in Nintendo eShop or at http://e3.nintendo.com. Details about the discounts can also be found at http://e3.nintendo.com.

June 15

Nintendo Treehouse: Live – Day 2: Starting at 10 a.m. PT, the Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming will showcase upcoming Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, including Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. The day will start with a special Pokémon GO developer Q&A. Watch all of Nintendo’s action from the E3 show floor via Nintendo’s channels on YouTube and Twitch, as well as on http://e3.nintendo.com.
For more information about Nintendo’s activities at E3, visit http://e3.nintendo.com.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2016, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New "leak" from Amazon's preorder page apparently:

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/s...294720/photo/1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartridge Games
‏@CartridgeGames
Zelda Wii U promotional material leak from Amazon. Nothing spoiler-y, outside of rock climbing?

Full size image here:
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...43447597_o.jpg

The image gave way to much speculation, including:
  • Climbing is probably a thing (Tomb Raider/Uncharted/AC style?)
  • Death Mountain, Hyrule Castle and what could be the Temple of Time? are visible on the map
  • 4 towers are shown, all strongly resembling a giant Master Sword
  • The towers are glowing blue, which might indicate they are 'activated' once the dungeons they mark are completed, or some other series of tasks in the overworld are completed
  • The gossip stone-type symbol has 7 dots, which would likely indicate the 7 sages, but possibly could mean that there are 7 dungeons/worlds, possibly demarcated by the blue towers
  • Towers could be the launch points for fast travel (ala the elevators in Metroid Prime)
  • Blue tunic is very similar to the one Link wears in the first 30 minutes of Wind Waker (already discussed a bit after last E3)
  • The map bears a striking resemblance to NES-era concept art
Quote:

Last edited by voodoozen; 06-13-2016 at 07:06 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Spamming my own thread, I know, but an official E3 Nintnedo press pass lanyard was posted this morning as well... looking pretty apparent that there's a second character. Playable or not is unknown, as is gender. I'm calling it now: the whole hood thing is leading up to a a sort of "Samus is a girl!?" type of reveal. During the trailer the character will slay some boss, come walking up to finish the beast with a defiant, triumphant swagger then sling the hood off revealing she's a girl *crowd gasps, internet implodes, babies cry, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria*

Off topic: anyone recall how to resize images? I'm posting some larger sizes than I'd like
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's on!

We have a name:
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Trailer:

Lost Woods? That tree looks familiar

GAME PLAY DEMO:
Game starts in the Shrine of Resurrection with Link waking up in somekind of chamber... he quickly (yes, Link's a HE, at least so far) and is given the Sheikah Slate, his cell phone type device.

Auonuma said they wanted to use more technology in this game, something consistent with Zelda but a new twist.

Link can jump!

There's a voice, the same as heard in the trailer, but it'll be curious to see how much voice acting is actually in the game. [EDIT] Met the first NPC, and the dialog is all TEXT. Navi is the only voice so far.

All the tutorial stuff seems to be just pop ups, no annoying "HEY! Listen"

Lot of climbing and collecting so far. Link chopped some trees into firewood, which is interesting... sounds like you have to set campfires in the game... day/night cycle confirmed

No hearts in the grass, you have to collect apples/food for health refills

All sorts of little things in the overworld, enemies, barrels, lots of small flourishes that really fill out the world. It's deserted and run down, but not just open space

No backstory, the game just kicks right off into exploration

Weapons take damage, you have to steal weapons from enemies. Link grabbed a pot lid as a shield and used a tree branch as a weapon

Enemies have health bars....

Artstyle is beautiful. Very Wind Waker meets Skyward Sword meets Studio Ghibli. I'm thinking this is a post-WW world, actually. Seems fitting given the enemies, the art style and some of the environment

Tons of NES Zelda feel here! Free exploration, little things to find around every corner, even an old man as your first NPC encounter

[EDIT]
Interesting tidbit from the treehouse interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogaf
They just confirmed in an interview that the game will have no towns. They clarified that it's a Hyrule in ruins and they took direct inspiration from the world of the NES LOZ . They did confirm that there will be a handful of stray NPCs throughout the world but no towns or villages in the "traditional sense". Also, they claimed that link will not have any kind of partner and will be exploring alone for the entire game
Aonuma specifically mentioned villages in another interview though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonuma via IGN
“I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world."
which to me makes it sound like you might have be part of rebuilding Hyrule? Or perhaps there's time travel and you'll revisit areas after they're settled?

Interesting!

Last edited by voodoozen; 06-14-2016 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, there was a bunch of Pokemon Sun & Moon gameplay. Drug on WAY too long, but they announced another new Pokemon, Grubbin with Swarm ability.

Also Magearna will be available via a QR Code.

New trailer:
post #9 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Aonuma has confirmed there is no female playable character:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why.../1100-6440862/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamespot
During the conversation, which was translated by a Nintendo representative, we asked Aonuma if the rumors of having the option to play as a female version of Link are accurate. He said that he's aware of the conversations happening online, stating: "So yes, there were rumors like that, and we did discuss as a staff as to what would be possible if we took that route."

However, instead of entertaining the idea of the player being able to choose the hero Link's gender, Aonuma said his team considered what they deemed to be the simplest option; making princess Zelda the lead character. "We thought about it," said Aonuma, "and decided that if we're going to have a female protagonist it's simpler to have Princess Zelda as the main character."

This idea was ultimately rejected, because according to Aonuma "...if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do? Taking into account that, and also the idea of the balance of the Triforce, we thought it best to come back to this [original] makeup."
post #10 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
No towns would be the first disappointing thing I've heard/seen about this today. I hope that's a mistake and isn't so.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post
Link can jump!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_...enture_of_Link

This is still one of the most difficult games I've ever played through.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_...enture_of_Link

This is still one of the most difficult games I've ever played through.
lol - touche!

I almost put a comment about stomping goombas in the post, but thought it might be confusing

(LA DX is still my all time favorite Zelda, so quirky and fun)

Anyone here watch the treehouse stream? I jumped in and out for bits, but tried to keep from watching too much so I'm not spoilered. If anyone wants to watch, there were two different demos, each with a different starting point.

The floor demo (start of the game):

and the press demo (Great Plateau): Shield surfing is awesome and also shows the Sheikah Slate in use prominently (it's basically a gamepad on Link's belt).

Press demo also shows off EXACTLY why I'm glad we never got a Metroid Prime on Wii U - using the gamepad as a visor and motion controller would be painful IMO, but Link seems to use it sparingly, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
No towns would be the first disappointing thing I've heard/seen about this today. I hope that's a mistake and isn't so.
New theory is that the towns are deserted, with everyone having abandoned the overworld for some reason. Which would be consistent with both theories that this isn't "traditional" villages but that there are still towns.

Last edited by voodoozen; 06-16-2016 at 06:25 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm impatient to discover this Zelda even if the world looks a bit empty for the moment.
But fore sure gameplay and good ideas will be present.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have always been a Zelda fan, lets hope this wasn't doesn't fail under the curse of high expectations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page