post #1 of 66 Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Mini NES

Holy crap, yes!

http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-i...games-1661730/

36 years after the original Nintendo Entertainment System hit store shelves a brand new model is set to launch. This one is called the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System, but unlike the original you won’t be purchasing physical games on cartridges to play. The Mini NES ships with 30 of the best built-in.
barrelbelly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Excellent! I will buy one of these @ Christmas or earlier to play with my 4 year old grandson. Way to go Nintendo.
post #3 of 66 Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I plan on getting one also, pretty damn cool, esp for those of us who grew up on these games.

AND

The Konami Code" has been confirmed to work on the (Konami) games too!

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 07-14-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AWESOME. A lot of these games are available on the Virtual Console already, if you have a Wii U, but this is a great collection. I hope they uprez the games to HD (though I doubt they will...)
post #5 of 66 Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48

I instantly recognized the controller ports as Wiimote nunchuck/classic controller ports... I don't care so much about the consoleitself since I have most (probably all) of those games on other systems, but I'm damn sure gonna pick up 2 of the controllers. $10 each? Yes sir!

And I'll dip in again when they inevitably release the SNES Classic Mini. SNES gamepad still ranks near the top for me.
post #6 of 66 Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Things just keep getting better for old school Nintendo fans - Prima games is releasing a Nintendo retrospective book with interviews and details of 17 NES games. Comes out a week after the Nes Classic. And the NES-cart slipcover... that's awesomeness right there.

https://www.primagames.com/games/nin...o-nes-classics

And then this week archive.org uploaded scans of all the Nintendo Power issues from 1998 - 2001. It's like being 12 all over again.

https://archive.org/details/nintendo...t=-date&page=2
post #7 of 66 Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 4478
I prefer playing my original nes in my home bar
DavidinCT likes this.
post #8 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't wait. I wonder if existing virtual console purchases can be moved over easily enough?
post #9 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Unfortunately the mini NES is completely separate from any other system. It is a closed system with a preset number of included games. You cannot play any games from any other system / account. (Which is why I'm skipping it, although I may pick up a controller.)
reddice likes this.
post #10 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 368
They could have at least included ALL of the original Nintendo-developed games. I kinda want to buy this, but I can't see it being worth the money unless it had far more games, as what they have listed isn't interesting to me for the most part.
reddice likes this.
post #11 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
At $2 a game, this represents a savings of $90 compared to buying these digitally.

And if this lineup of many of the greats from the NES library doesn't interest you, I really don't see how Nintendo could ever grab you just by upping the already generous game count. Particularly considering what's missing from the 1st party lineup that bothers you, I can't imagine those additions changing your mind.

Ignoring a handful of 3rd party titles that NOA picked up back in the day (Such as a late Mega Man game that Capcom wasn't going to bring stateside themselves), all that this is missing from what Nintendo of America published here at home are Tetris, Zoda's Revenge, Zapper titles, and some early B tier titles like Mach Rider and Clu Clu Land.

All the major 1st party titles that Nintendo released back in the day in North America are here except for Tetris, which has obvious licensing issues. It has all three Super Mario Brothers titles, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punchout, both Zeldas, Kirby's Adventure, etc. So unless you just have to have Donkey Kong Jr. Math, I don't see the problem.

And they did a decent job of covering some of the highlights of its 3rd party library as well. Not perfect such as no Contra, no Bionic Commando, no Castlevania III, etc. But a good job none the less.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 08-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.
post #12 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I know it's more of a gray area, but personally I just went with this solution instead...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1496674
reddice likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #13 of 66 Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For me personally it isn't an attractive option because, as a Nintendo fan, I already own most of the important 1st party titles on the Virtual Console. If there was an option of buying additional titles for a similar price ($2 or so) I might find it more interesting.

This seems like more of a generic solution for folks who aren't already hardcore Nintendo players. I'm sure it will sell well to those people.
post #14 of 66 Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been out of the loop for a couple of years and this is supposed to be a step in the right direction?
post #15 of 66 Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A step in the right direction? Not sure what you're asking.

This is an independent product from their handheld and console business. Nobody has been portraying this as Nintendo's contender to usurp Sony and Microsoft or a way to make Nintendo's shareholders rich in the long-term.

Rather, Nintendo is leveraging their past with an entry in the long established plug and play market to stir interest in their brand this holiday season and create excitement with a product ready to sell this Christmas while everyone waits to see what the NX has to hold for the future.

Why try to find a problem there? This will sell millions of units to both casual fans that have left the Nintendo fold and hardcore fans alike (Many of those that an earlier poster declared wouldn't be interested, will be buying one of these just to set the box on their shelf since it's a physical NES related product from Nintendo themselves in 2016).

There's nothing wrong about releasing such a product. It's going to do what it's meant to do and also soften the financial blow to Nintendo that quarter as losses continue with the faltering 3DS and Wii U and their investment in developing and launching the NX continues to drain their coffers before a single NX even is sold.

It's also sets them up for sequels in this new business area. Perhaps not for 2017 when Nintendo's attention will be focused on the first Christmas season for their new NX platform, which is a time where Nintendo traditionally does the bulk of their business.

But look for a SuperNes Mini down the road. I guarantee it even if it takes a couple of years to appear.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 09-05-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #16 of 66 Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

LAUNCH UPDATE: If you ain't got one by now, you probly ain't gettin one.

Checked every store I could between 7 and 8 am this morning- NADA.

Walmart's here got 3 per store; the 2 near me both lol'd when I asked, said they had 10+ people in line by 11:00 last night for midnight sales. People in line were already bartering with the 3 people who scored one.

Target sold all 5 of theirs in 15 minutes

Gamestop wouldn't even say if they were getting them when I called this week, but today said they had sold out early (kinda wonder if it was all to store employees?)

Saddest thing: none of the stores in my area even carried the extra controllers, they sold the $60 system only.

I don't need the console (Sure I'd take one, but not gonna run all over town or stress out about it), I just want 2 controllers. That's it. I'm not flipping these, not fighting other customers in some Black Friday style showdown over stinking thing, I just want to play VC with a first party NES controller...
post #17 of 66 Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Wal-Mart's around here each got a full case of 6 units, including the 24 hour Super Wal-Mart where I showed up at 12:30 AM as well as the regular Wal-Mart where I ultimately got my system at 6 AM.

I don't know why Nintendo would even send out partially empty cardboard boxes out to retailers, so I wonder if employees got to them first at the locations you visited.

I arrived about 5:40 just after a rainstorm and was the 6th person in line. Everyone was friendly and said that they were told by an employee that they had got 6 units in and so I was all set.

After 10 minutes of everyone chatting about their favorite NES games and such, a friendly employee let us into the vestibule between their sets of moving doors to get warm and gave out 6 tickets.

Then at 6 AM they let us in and had brought everything up to customer service right next to the door, and quickly checked us out right there. So I was out by 6:05. I enjoyed it and could see wanting to do this with a real console launch someday.

They had at least 3 of the separate 1st party gamepads and about that many of the strategy guide books. No sign of any 3rd party accessories.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-12-2016 at 03:01 AM.
post #18 of 66 Old 11-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone figured out a way to hook this thing to a receiver? I get no picture with it's hooked to my reciever I have to hook it directly to the TV for it to work which is annoying.
post #19 of 66 Old 11-12-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My local Walmart told me they had 32 units that where gone in 10 minutes. Bestbuy had 16 units and I was one of the lucky few to snag one. When I hear about other stores with such low allocations I do wonder if the employees snagged theirs first! Analyzer52 what receiver do you have? My unit runs through my receiver with no issues.
post #20 of 66 Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post
My local Walmart told me they had 32 units that where gone in 10 minutes. Bestbuy had 16 units and I was one of the lucky few to snag one. When I hear about other stores with such low allocations I do wonder if the employees snagged theirs first! Analyzer52 what receiver do you have? My unit runs through my receiver with no issues.

It's a Denon AVR-1912. Not the newest reciever but all my other game systems work fine (Xbox one and PS4). I saw an amazon review complaining of the same issue and this guy had a projector and couldn't get it to work with his receiver either.
post #21 of 66 Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer52 View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to hook this thing to a receiver? I get no picture with it's hooked to my reciever I have to hook it directly to the TV for it to work which is annoying.
Same problem here on my Denon X2000. The receiver obviously gets some kind of signal because the Denon logo that's on-screen when nothing is happening disappears. Just won't display whatever it's getting.

I've run everything through this receiver – modern consoles, various STBs, Macs, PCs, Raspberry Pi. This is the first thing it hasn't liked.
post #22 of 66 Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoFever View Post
Same problem here on my Denon X2000. The receiver obviously gets some kind of signal because the Denon logo that's on-screen when nothing is happening disappears. Just won't display whatever it's getting.

I've run everything through this receiver – modern consoles, various STBs, Macs, PCs, Raspberry Pi. This is the first thing it hasn't liked.
Yea same situation for me just a black screen but it's getting a signal it just can't process it.
post #23 of 66 Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer52 View Post
Yea same situation for me just a black screen but it's getting a signal it just can't process it.
Have you tried a different hdmi cable other than the one that's included? Have you swapped hdmi inputs?
post #24 of 66 Old 11-14-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Have you tried a different hdmi cable other than the one that's included? Have you swapped hdmi inputs?
Tried all of that nothing changes.
post #25 of 66 Old 11-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anybody have a good source on locating units from the batch of shipments? I tried to get one on launch day, but that was an epic fail.
Auditor_Kevin likes this.
post #26 of 66 Old 11-15-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Yep, tried front and two different rear HDMI inputs, and used a known-good cable from another device. The included HDMI cable works fine directly into the TV.
post #27 of 66 Old 11-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage Fighter View Post
Does anybody have a good source on locating units from the batch of shipments? I tried to get one on launch day, but that was an epic fail.
I believe this is the most accurate list:

post #28 of 66 Old 11-17-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda sounds like the retailers aren't even expecting any more units before Christmas.

Amazon crashed when their sale went live. Sold out in under a minute? Hard to tell when all anyone was getting was an error screen.

I'm pinging my local retailers fairly regularly and none have received a second shipment yet. I'm assuming/hoping someone will post here when they hear of additional shipments so I can keep my ears up locally.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #29 of 66 Old 11-17-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoFever View Post
Yep, tried front and two different rear HDMI inputs, and used a known-good cable from another device. The included HDMI cable works fine directly into the TV.
Maybe those inputs on your receiver are configured for audio only. Are you getting any sound? Have you tried another video device plugged in to those inputs to see an image is displayed? Check the receiver settings for those inputs.
post #30 of 66 Old 11-19-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
Maybe those inputs on your receiver are configured for audio only. Are you getting any sound? Have you tried another video device plugged in to those inputs to see an image is displayed? Check the receiver settings for those inputs.
No, they're set up correctly, and no sound from the NES. I've been running my laptop on the front port recently and it happily accepts audio and video from that. The rear ones are also occupied with consoles and STBs that work fine with audio and video.

I've been on a couple of forums other than here where people with Denon receivers are having problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page