Introducing the Nintendo Switch (NX revealed) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #301 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
That one needs a USB-C adapter though, so it's a little bit clumsier. But yes, there are other options as well.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 08-04-2018, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
The Flip Grip looks like a day 1 purchase for me when I acquire a Switch. Barring a surprise release this fall, Super Mario Odyssey and classic games are largely what I'd go out and buy today. And since many of those classics were vertically oriented arcade games like Vanguard in the upcoming SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, this would see a lot of use by me.

I wonder if Pinball Arcade or the upcoming Zaccaria Pinball have vertical modes on the Switch? While I'm buying Zaccaria Pinball regardless, I'd sure be tempted to spend $40 rebuying the Gottlieb packs for Pinball Arcade even though I already own all seven seasons on the PS4 (And seasons 1/2 on the Wii U).

Gottlieb doesn't get much love from Pinball Arcade fans, but some genuine classics were recreated digitally and compare favorably to the beloved Bally and Williams pins that were ripped out of Pinball Arcade just hours after it first went live on the Switch eShop.
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 08-04-2018 at 11:26 PM.
post #303 of 326 Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 4028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I wonder if Pinball Arcade or the upcoming Zaccaria Pinball have vertical modes on the Switch? While I'm buying Zaccaria Pinball regardless, I'd sure be tempted to spend $40 rebuying the Gottlieb packs for Pinball Arcade even though I already own all seven seasons on the PS4 (And seasons 1/2 on the Wii U).
Zaccaria is available now.

Pinball Arcade, Stern Pinball, and Zaccaria all support vertical mode (often called Tate), but unfortunately only in counter-clockwise orientation. The FlipGrip requires clockwise rotation, meaning these three in their current form will be upside-down when using the FlipGrip.

The good news is developers Zen Studios and Magic Pixel are aware of the FlipGlip, and have stated they plan to update their pinball apps to add clockwise Tate. The bad news is developer Farsight Studios has a terrible track record with slow updates, delays, and broken promises, so I'm not sure we can count on this happening soon, if at all.

Pinball FX3 supports both clockwise and counter-clockwise Tate, so it's good to go.

Here's some great info on what games will support the Switch + FlipGrip:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...t_nonstandard/
Leo_Ames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 326 Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Thanks for all the great information.

And yeah, I wouldn't be optimistic about Farsight. Still waiting for Pinball Arcade on the Wii U to progress past version 1.0, still with no Pro Controller support despite being promised as a patch (A feature that should've been in on day 1). Farsight does great work, but all too often they make it hard to love them with decisions that just leave the fans scratching their heads.

They didn't even realize that the Wii U eShop was still active until a few weeks ago, which means the Bally/Williams stuff is still available there. Going to grab a $10 eShop card tomorrow and try to buy the Scared Stiff pro mode and see if that's still the case a week or two after they realized this.

Edit: Transaction was successful.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 08-09-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #305 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally, cloud saves available. There's other features too, like being able to play a bunch of NES games we've all probably played a thousand times by now, or online play being a paid thing now... or being able to sign in on another console and access your games as long as you're signed in... but really all I cared about was cloud saves.

Now if they would only fix the game update system so that it doesn't only update your 12 most recent games. (Anything you haven't played more recently doesn't update until you launch the game.)
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by jhoff80; 09-19-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #306 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Finally, cloud saves available.
With the subscription, the game saves are both local and cloud, right? I thought I read something about if the subscription lapses, the game saves are unavailable until re-subscribing, or something strange.

Also, are cloud game saves for every game, or just certain ones?
post #307 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both local and cloud. So if you stop paying, they're not guaranteeing that they'll keep the data on their servers, but all of your data is still on the Switch at all times.

I currently own 98 Switch games (I might have a bit of a problem ) and the Save Backup menu is showing that only Minecraft (which can use saves that are multiple gigabytes big) and Fortnite (which I have only played a single time, but my understanding is it has its own progression system) are not supported currently. Apparently it's opt-out for developers, rather than opt-in like video clips are. I have read though that Splatoon 2 might not support it currently, but that one has never interested me so I don't know for sure.
DaverJ likes this.

post #308 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to know, thanks. I was going to pass on Nintendo's subscription, but it's only $20/year, right? For that price, I'll probably do it.

It would be awesome if they gave discounts on games in the Nintendo Store for subscribers, like Sony and MS does. Even a little bit would be a nice incentive to buy more.
post #309 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That was kind of my thought as well. For $20 a year, I'd rather have the peace of mind if I drop my system, or if it gets stolen or something. For what it's worth, there's also a 7-day trial.

They do have subscriber-specific offers mentioned as being possible. Right now, that's limited to Switch-compatible NES controllers though.

post #310 of 326 Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plus, it could potentially make the upgrade path to the Switch2 easier.
post #311 of 326 Old 10-23-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone playing Starlink on the Switch? Thoughts?
post #312 of 326 Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Anyone playing Starlink on the Switch? Thoughts?
I'd like to hear some impressions as well because I'm very much on the fence about it.
post #313 of 326 Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Starlink: Battle for Atlas digital versions are currently on sale for Black Friday - the standard edition is $45 (normally $60), the deluxe is $60 (normally $80), U.S. prices.

Forget mounting cheap-looking overpriced toys on the controller, I hear the digital versions of this game are the way to go because these contain additional content than the more expensive physical versions. I splurged for the deluxe digital version, downloading now.

I also picked up Sega Ages: Thunder (Lightening) Force IV for a couple bucks off.

Anyone get any interesting Switch games for Black Friday?
post #314 of 326 Old 11-24-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Anyone have issues with getting a Nintendo Switch to work with the Yamaha Aventage 2070 AVR?

I wasn't able to get a picture on the TV and I tried 2 rear HDMI inputs (AV3 and AV4) with redmere cables and the front one with the premium certified cable.

Couldn't get it to work directly with my Samsung MU8000 either, tried HDMI 1 and 3 with premium certified and the included cable.

Tried 4K mode 1 and 2 on 2070 and HDMI UHD Color on and off on TV.

Do you guys think the Nintendo Switch is defective? Any known issues with it and things to try?

(I did have HDMI CEC on in case that could be a factor.)

I have used the PS4 slim, fat Xbox One, and Wii U with this AVR and Samsung TV with no issues. Only this Switch seems to be problematic.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #315 of 326 Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Recently have been playing various Shmups downloaded from the eShop including...

• Aero Wings 2 & 3
  • Blazing Star
  • Danmaku Unlimited 3
  • Gunbird 1 & 2
  • Samurai Aces
  • Ikaruga
  • Strikers 1945 1 & 2

They play really well in TATE mode on the Switch.

Definitely going to buy the Flip Grip which was Kickstarted earlier this year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip

DaverJ likes this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #316 of 326 Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Have the Flip Grip, works as expected (only played Donkey Kong so far) ... only real drawback is the awkward menu navigation when it's on its side. Otherwise it's pretty nice.
post #317 of 326 Old 12-23-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Anyone have issues with getting a Nintendo Switch to work with the Yamaha Aventage 2070 AVR? ...
I have used the PS4 slim, fat Xbox One, and Wii U with this AVR and Samsung TV with no issues. Only this Switch seems to be problematic.
No, I don't even have a Switch yet. But I've had a long-standing issue with my Pioneer AVR, which I finally solved by removing the AVR. Try that -- just plug the Switch directly into the TV. (Well, you posted a month ago, so you probably figured it out, somehow.)

Greg Lee
post #318 of 326 Old 12-27-2018, 01:59 PM
JJ7

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I bought a switch for my son for Christmas. He's definitely enjoying it but we are having some issues with the joy-cons. We've got a media room and all our gear lives in a rack about 15 feet away from his seating position, with a wall in-between. We also have a wired outlet in the room (with HDMI and ethernet) that I typically use when testing gear prior to integrating it in the rack.

The issues we've seen are:

* even in the same room (using the outlet) wireless connectivity was poor when the gear was on the floor. The distance was around 15 feet and the only intervening material was his body and some recliners

* trying to integrate it into the rack worked really poorly. It would rarely connect at all. We also tried a ps4 controller with USB dongle on the switch. That worked much better but was a bit laggy.

* for now we're using the in-room connections and I've put the dock and switch on a table. That's working fine, but looks terrible in our room.

So I'm wondering if this behavior is expected or if I should contact Nintendo for support. I bought the unit from amazon on black friday so I'm guessing it's recently manufactured. Are there any reasonable solutions for improving joy-con connectivity so that use within an A/V rack (behind a wall with wood studs)?
post #319 of 326 Old 12-27-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I bought a switch for my son for Christmas. He's definitely enjoying it but we are having some issues with the joy-cons. We've got a media room and all our gear lives in a rack about 15 feet away from his seating position, with a wall in-between. We also have a wired outlet in the room (with HDMI and ethernet) that I typically use when testing gear prior to integrating it in the rack.

The issues we've seen are:

* even in the same room (using the outlet) wireless connectivity was poor when the gear was on the floor. The distance was around 15 feet and the only intervening material was his body and some recliners

* trying to integrate it into the rack worked really poorly. It would rarely connect at all. We also tried a ps4 controller with USB dongle on the switch. That worked much better but was a bit laggy.

Not much help with your issues, but I highly recommend the Pro controller with the Switch. I’m picky about game controllers, and the Pro is one of the best I’ve used.

Pricey, but worth it.
post #320 of 326 Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I bought a switch for my son for Christmas. He's definitely enjoying it but we are having some issues with the joy-cons. We've got a media room and all our gear lives in a rack about 15 feet away from his seating position, with a wall in-between.
<snip>
So I'm wondering if this behavior is expected or if I should contact Nintendo for support. I bought the unit from amazon on black friday so I'm guessing it's recently manufactured. Are there any reasonable solutions for improving joy-con connectivity so that use within an A/V rack (behind a wall with wood studs)?
15 feet with a wall in between is probably not sustainable for joy-cons. I've had issues at the same distance with no wall, just a TV. Assuming you've already done the latest firmware updates (including joy-con updates) I'm not sure there is currently a solution. Our theater room has no separate section for components so it works fine for us since the Switch is 5-10 feet behind the seating area (and about 4 feet high). All I could suggest is increasing the height? Wish I had better news.
post #321 of 326 Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM
JJ7

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Thanks for the feedback on the joy-cons, though sorry to hear it is a design feature. I guiess it is due to the smaller size, portability, etc? Since our Wii and PS4 never had an issue, I never anticipated a problem with the switch.

Luckily the area where we have the wall plate to hard wire stuff is in the back corner of the room. So I ordered a black av shelf (with cable management) to install there. It should be reasonably unobtrusive.
post #322 of 326 Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't know why I ought to be enticed to purchase this framework, yet everybody I can consider who might is certainly under 30 and more like 24.
post #323 of 326 Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Nintendo released this update on the next Metroid game earlier today.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #324 of 326 Old 01-26-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Nintendo released this update on the next Metroid game earlier today.
Thanks for this somber news.

Greg Lee
post #325 of 326 Old 02-14-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #326 of 326 Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder what the more expensive Switch will provide. Hopefully 4K (or 4K-ish) rendering of existing and future games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page