Introducing the Nintendo Switch (NX revealed) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #61 of 326 Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Their information is wrong. The New 3DS (and the old one, for that matter) support 128GB cards as well. I can't say for certain that it supports 200GB and 256GB cards, but there's no reason it shouldn't. If it's got a microSDXC slot, there should be no reason the Switch can't handle these larger cards either.

As for the lack of USB drive support, I hope that speculation is wrong. If someone does direct download only, they will amass far more than even 256GB over the life of a system, especially one that has 1080p content. No matter what, there's going to have to be manual management of that storage. With that being the case, shuffling back and forth between the SD and a USB hard drive is not that much more time-consuming than having to delete stuff all the time to make games fit. It's a matter of wrapping that mechanic up in a way that makes it easy for the user to understand. I've mentioned this before, but I can't think of any better metaphor than a library book check-in/check-out type interface. But regardless, I'm sure if Nintendo's engineers put their minds to it, they set this up in a way that anyone could use it. I mean, if I get a random urge to play Zelda:BOTW 4 years from now, there's a much better chance I'll start a game up if it's already sitting on a USB hard drive (and I might decide to take it with me if I only have to wait 5 minutes for it to transfer from one type of storage to the other) than if I have to spend 45 minutes redownloading it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 326 Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8834 Post(s)
Liked: 5627
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post
They also announced the next update - Jan 12, 2017: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...55799302246400

and our buddies over at Let's Play Video Games have published rumors that the tablet will accept MicroSD up to 128GB but there is NO USB storage option for the base, which actually makes a lot of sense, who wants to have your home USB HDD full of content you can't take on the go.
You would dedicate a drive for it. That way you could download all the content you want and transfer it as needed. I know with my XBOnes external storage has worked great. I download everything since I only use digital versions of games this gen. I would never want to go back to using discs or cartridges for games. Except for the occasional rental.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #63 of 326 Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
By the time you fill up a 256gb sd card, they'll have cheap 512gb, just upgrade. Or at worst, you have two or three 256gb cards. Its really not that big a deal. This will only be an issue for those who go all digital.
I'd wager the majority of Switch users will still mostly buy cartridge games from walmart or best buy. But even for the all digital group, I guarantee there will be no support for external storage. There would be too many complaints, every time people want to take it on the go, they have to pick which games to download to the Switch local drive/sd card and wait an hour. Not gunna happen. Even for those who think they'll "never" take it on the go, eventually the situation would come up, you're going on a trip somewhere and spontaneously decide to take it, but oh no you have to wait an hour for the games you want to load to the Switch. Nope. It's just not worth it for Nintendo to enable external drives for the Switch, due to its inherent nature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 326 Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have to ask, are you even aware of how big games are getting these days? 4 or 5 console-quality AAA games (assuming it gets many of them) and that 256GB is gone. Battlefield 1: 45GB. Titanfall 2: 43GB. Dishonored 2: 43GB.

post #65 of 326 Old 11-02-2016, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
By comparison, Super Mario 3D World is 1.63 gigs.

Hopefully it will matter, but realistically, how many of these somewhat inefficiently coded 3rd party AAA releases (compared to Nintendo's internal output) will ever end up here?

For what the Switch likely will be, I'm afraid that the rumors we're hearing about with the capacity of cartridges, internal memory, and expandable SD storage quite likely won't be much of a hindrance in practice.

Would love to be wrong though and hopefully Nintendo won't be sealing their fate with 3rd parties by being stingy with their storage medium.
post #66 of 326 Old 11-02-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You know, I almost put in 'third-party' before 'console-quality' for that exact reason.

But yeah, it's another reason why I mostly expect the third-parties to release scaled-up Vita/3DS/mobile games.

post #67 of 326 Old 11-02-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
They need to pack this thing with storage, or show us the USB ports on the dock. Ninty confirmed that the default (aka minimum) cart size is 16gb - not saying that they won't have some games smaller than that, but even if nothing on the NS ever exceeds 16gb (lol) even 128gb onboard storage means 3rd parties will stop porting new releases over immediately.

In this day and age no one's going to haul 10 carts around, and if you can only have one or two big titles installed at a time without spending more cash on a giant SD card, the support from consumers is likely to dry up quickly as well.

Maybe the Gameboy Player-esque add on I'm predicting will add USB ports and/or additional storage.
post #68 of 326 Old 11-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think some of you live in reality-land. The majority of users are still going to be buying carts, at least for new big name titles. %100 digital downloaders are going to be a minority, not something Nintendo should worry about catering to. The Switch is a great new idea, but it has to balance cost, portability, weight, size, battery life, etc. Internal storage is a worthy compromise, and so is external. The number of people likely to download multiple 40gb games is just such a minority, Nintendo isn't even concerned.
For VC games, even up to Wii U if they have them, a 128gb card is going to hold a ton of games, and a 256gb card may hold an entire VC collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
somewhat inefficiently coded 3rd party AAA releases (compared to Nintendo's internal output)
Thats exactly what I think whenever I see a game is 40+GB. I think the console devs get lazy because they have a 50gb bluray disc so why bother making it smaller.

Last edited by Lazarus Dark; 11-02-2016 at 06:56 PM.
post #69 of 326 Old 11-05-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Digital downloads make up 22% of all of Nintendo's sales for the 6 months ending in Sep 2016. They don't break that down in terms of Wii U vs 3DS, but I'd be very willing to bet that the 3DS has a larger percentage of download sales than the Wii U, based on the fact that bringing multiple cartridges for a portable is more cumbersome than multiple discs for a home system. Since this is a system designed to be portable, I'd guess that it'd be 30-40% digital.

Yes, that's still a minority, but even with the numbers that we already know to be fact... If Nintendo isn't worried about catering to $145 million out of their $640 million in sales (over that 6 month period), then they deserve to fail again.

As for the 'inefficiently coded third-party games' it's not exactly a fair comparison when going by something like Mario (cartoon textures, no matter how nice they look, aren't exactly going to need as much space) to something that goes for photorealism. But yes, since 50GB is their limit on other consoles, a lot of third parties stop there without worrying about compressing assets or anything like that. But just think... for all the optimization/compressing that these developers do, the device has to decompress that before a level or on the fly. With a weaker CPU like the ARM one this will have, enough of that and the load time advantage of carts gets thrown out the window.

Anyway, like I said, I expect hard drive support while docked anyway, so some of this will (hopefully) all be moot. But still, there are definitely aspects of this system that are in conflict with development these days. The limited storage of being a portable console is one of them.

Edit: Also, could the OP or a mod or whoever fix the typo in the thread title? It drives me crazy every time I see it.

Last edited by jhoff80; 11-05-2016 at 04:23 PM.
post #70 of 326 Old 11-05-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That statistic is about all the evidence that one needs to see to realize that digital distribution on the Switch is assured.

Still puzzled why some thought even that feature required confirmation, as if there was a legitimate possibility that it wouldn't be here. It's as assured as knowing that it will plug into your 110v household electrical outlet instead of coming with its own solar panel that you place outside to charge its batteries with...

I'm afraid such a worry represents well what's perhaps their primary hurdle here. There's a lot of ignorance and preconceived notions about what modern Nintendo gaming is that Nintendo needs to strive to change around, both from the viewpoint of consumers and within the industry itself.

Far too many just automatically write them off these days. Especially in the console world, but also increasingly in the mobile arena thanks to the rise of some very stiff competition.

Nintendo's marketing department has their job cut out for them in convincing people on why they should want this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
As for the 'inefficiently coded third-party games' it's not exactly a fair comparison when going by something like Mario (cartoon textures, no matter how nice they look, aren't exactly going to need as much space) to something that goes for photorealism.
I suppose that's true to a certain extent.

But even when compared to 360/PS3 releases on hardware that had a comparable level of performance, Nintendo's in-house content typically comes in at the very low end of the scale where space is concerned.

I'm afraid that such optimization just isn't something that pretty much any other major developer ever strives for. Nintendo's major releases are comparatively tiny where their storage needs are concerned, don't deviate from their frame rate targets, and are virtually bug free without even the need of a day 1 patch.

I hope they keep it up.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 11-05-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #71 of 326 Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Digital downloads make up 22% of all of Nintendo's sales for the 6 months ending in Sep 2016. They don't break that down in terms of Wii U vs 3DS, but I'd be very willing to bet that the 3DS has a larger percentage of download sales than the Wii U, based on the fact that bringing multiple cartridges for a portable is more cumbersome than multiple discs for a home system. Since this is a system designed to be portable, I'd guess that it'd be 30-40% digital.
I would not have guessed that, but could you give a link or elaborate? For instance, if that is all digital downloads including VC, then its not a fair comparison (for this argument) as VC is digital ONLY. I'd be much more interested in the retail vs digital sales numbers just for the subset of games that are available as both. Thats the number I was talking about. What will be the number of digital downloads of Zelda:BotW vs retail cart sales? Or for any AAA title?
Plus, VC titles are going to be less than 2gb for the most part, whereas new titles on Switch will be several GB very often, that makes a difference in download times and data caps for all those outside of major cities with fast, cheap internet.
post #72 of 326 Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's right in Nintendo's financial statements. (See attached chart I marked up as well).

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161026e.pdf

That's by revenue, not per units sold, so the cheaper price of VC games compensates for that slightly, but yes, there are VC games included in that number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	41
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1757001  

post #73 of 326 Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Edit: Also, could the OP or a mod or whoever fix the typo in the thread title? It drives me crazy every time I see it.

Me too! I've changed it in the OP (just tried again), but I can't seem to force and update in the original title. I'll PM a mod.

As to digital, if Ninty truly believes that the user base is moving towards physical media over download for primary sales... it's gonna be a rough generation for us all. And I'm one of those poor plebs with a strong preference for physical and a terrifyingly low bandwidth cap. I'll never be able to buy a PS4 or XBONE, a single AAA game's day one patch would essentially render me offline for the month.

Luckily I'm also sitting on nearly 600 retro games (that I'll never get thru, but hey)
post #74 of 326 Old 11-08-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post
Me too! I've changed it in the OP (just tried again), but I can't seem to force and update in the original title. I'll PM a mod.

As to digital, if Ninty truly believes that the user base is moving towards physical media over download for primary sales... it's gonna be a rough generation for us all. And I'm one of those poor plebs with a strong preference for physical and a terrifyingly low bandwidth cap. I'll never be able to buy a PS4 or XBONE, a single AAA game's day one patch would essentially render me offline for the month.

Luckily I'm also sitting on nearly 600 retro games (that I'll never get thru, but hey)
Fixed the thread title.
DaverJ and jhoff80 like this.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #75 of 326 Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know when pre orders will start for the Nintendo Switch?
post #76 of 326 Old 11-17-2016, 06:14 AM

Any one know any thing about this being capable of Virtual Reality?
post #77 of 326 Old 11-17-2016, 06:15 AM

Anyone know if this will be able to run 4k gaming? Or will it be HD gaming, if so 1080P?
post #78 of 326 Old 11-17-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboduch View Post
Anyone know if this will be able to run 4k gaming? Or will it be HD gaming, if so 1080P?
Nobody knows anything about it, other than what was in the video.
post #79 of 326 Old 11-18-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would say VR and 4k are highly unlikely at the processing power in something that is designed to be mobile. (Yes, I know GearVR exists and the Switch will most likely be more powerful than that, but it still seems unlikely to me).

I suspect 720p when mobile, 1080p when docked, but even that is purely guesswork.

post #80 of 326 Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any one know any thing about this being capable of Virtual Reality?
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know when pre orders will start for the Nintendo Switch?
I think Gamestop lets you preorder right now. Most retailers will likely wait till January 12th which is when the big press event is and when we are likely to get all the details, like price, bundles, launch titles, and additional features.

Until then, beyond the absolutely exhaustive trailer analysis thats been done all over the internet, there's not much more to talk about except rumors from the guy whose uncle works at Nintendo. I'm so hyped, I had to get my Wii out of the closet and finally start trying to finish Mario Galaxy 2 because I need something to satiate me until March. Although I think the March release is good for various marketing, economic, and logistical reasons, I'm kinda bummed that I have nothing to look forward to buying for Christmas, all my excitement is for March. (normally I take Christmas as the opportunity to tell my wife exactly what gadget to buy me, so it looks like a gift from her instead of me spending all our money on gadgets )

I will add though, that based on the rumors of Splatoon as a pack-in game with local multiplayer, I'm afraid I'll end up buying TWO of these things, so me and the wife can battle! Which is some brilliant sales strategy on Nintendo's part
hockeynut likes this.
post #81 of 326 Old 11-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there an online link for the gamestop pre-order?
post #82 of 326 Old 12-08-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 358

Jimmy Fallon plays Super Mario Run and Zelda/Switch on The Tonight Show.
aaronwt likes this.
post #83 of 326 Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't watched the video mainly because I'm in shutdown mode about Zelda (like with previous games, I know I'll be buying it so I don't want to read/see any information about it no matter how small).

From looking online, one thing the video seemingly confirms though is that the Switch uses USB-C, which is great news.

post #84 of 326 Old 12-12-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why is it great for? It's potentially a promising move if true, but we don't know what it will be put to use for just yet.

If it's just there to power the system away from the dock so you can keep playing when the battery gets low for example, it's almost meaningless.

Until we hear about things like external storage options which presumably interface with the dock anyways instead of the Switch itself, the ability to connect the Switch to the dock by a USB-C cable to enable 2nd screen functionality when in console mode, and so on, all we know we're gaining if true is a connector plug that doesn't have a top or a bottom.

Handy when you're in a darkened room and running low on power with a charging cable handy, but nothing amazing.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-12-2016 at 04:38 PM.
post #85 of 326 Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Why is it great for? It's potentially a promising move if true, but we don't know what it will be put to use for just yet.

If it's just there to power the system away from the dock so you can keep playing when the battery gets low for example, it's almost meaningless.

Until we hear about things like external storage options which presumably interface with the dock anyways instead of the Switch itself, the ability to connect the Switch to the dock by a USB-C cable to enable 2nd screen functionality when in console mode, and so on, all we know we're gaining if true is a connector plug that doesn't have a top or a bottom.

Handy when you're in a darkened room and running low on power with a charging cable handy, but nothing amazing.
One, it would be the first time Nintendo has officially supported USB charging. Second, pretty much every non-iPhone cell phone from here on out is going to utilize USB-C, so even if just used for charging, the ability to use a single charger is big. But it's also most likely the sole connection for video, charging, and data. Third, it should mean third-party docking options... but more importantly, it should also mean not needing a different dock for a Macbook (or other PCs as they continue to phase it in) and the Switch.

Overall, the more universal the connector is, the more useful it is. The Switch more than likely using it is great.
Leo_Ames likes this.

post #86 of 326 Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never considered that they'd be leaving proprietary chargers behind. I agree that it's worthwhile to see, even if it's ultimately just for that.
post #87 of 326 Old 12-20-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eurogamer goes in depth into some of the information they've been getting from developers here: www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

Basically they're seeing that it's based on Maxwell (Tegra X1, not the newer Pascal-based Tegra X2 that some were hoping for), that it's a 720p multitouch screen on the handheld, and they also have info on the clock speeds... CPU supposedly remains a constant 1020MHz, whereas the GPU runs at 307MHz when portable, and gives developers the option to clock at 768MHz when plugged in.

All of these speeds are slower than the standalone Nvidia X1 Shield Console, but this does (probably) have the advantage of not needing to also run Android beneath everything. There could also be Nintendo-specific customization too.

Last edited by jhoff80; 12-20-2016 at 01:43 PM.
post #88 of 326 Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Eurogamer goes in depth into some of the information they've been getting from developers here: www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

Basically they're seeing that it's based on Maxwell (Tegra X1, not the newer Pascal-based Tegra X2 that some were hoping for), that it's a 720p multitouch screen on the handheld, and they also have info on the clock speeds... CPU supposedly remains a constant 1020MHz, whereas the GPU runs at 307MHz when portable, and gives developers the option to clock at 768MHz when plugged in.

All of these speeds are slower than the standalone Nvidia X1 Shield Console, but this does (probably) have the advantage of not needing to also run Android beneath everything. There could also be Nintendo-specific customization too.
Still taking all that with a grain of salt, since there are conflicting rumors right now. Ultimately, I don't think it matters. My guess is that yes, the Switch is less graphically powerful than a XB1, but the majority of console buyers wouldn't notice unless you put the same game side by side in the Switch and XB1 on identical TVs and specifically pointed out the graphical difference. At which point they would shrug. I base this on the fact that when I show people A/B of a bluray and digital download or stream, they shrug. They even shrug when I do A/B of Stereo and 7.1. "Sure its better, but I don't notice anything missing when I watch Netflix at home on 5mb internet connection and a 37" with TV speakers."

Anyway, the Switch will sell on its concept and games, specs won't make a difference.
post #89 of 326 Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any Pre-Order news yet?...
post #90 of 326 Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

The big presentation is Thursday night 7pm Central Time, here:

Official preorders should go live that day or very soon after when we have final prices and release date. I'm going to hedge my bets by preordering one from Amazon and one from local Gamestop.
I was just going to get one, but when my wife found out that Stardew Valley is officially getting ported to Switch, she said she'll need one of her own (Better than hogging the one system though, she goes on kicks where she plays it nonstop for a couple weeks.) That's certainly a new thing Switch has in its favor. Traditionally, most houses would have one console, but might have multiple handheld gaming devices. Being a hybrid portable console, there will be additional console and game sales as many will buy multiple devices for couples and kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page