Introducing the Nintendo Switch (NX revealed) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #181 of 326 Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I didn't time it or anything, but a lot of the charging I did was using the Chromebook Pixel charger (playing handheld in bed while plugged in), and it felt about as fast as the official charger. I won't be plugging the Satechi meter into anything else any more though, after the plastic trim on its USB-C port gave me a scare when it broke off inside the Switch. Was able to pull it out with a tiny pair of tweezers and everything is working fine, but yeah the meter is built like a piece of garbage.

But honestly, I haven't played it anywhere but home yet, so the speed of charging hasn't been on my mind that much.

Edit: Anandtech also just put out an article on this subject: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/...er-consumption
vulsker likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-06-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 326 Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Are the joycons in the grip really that bad? I would prefer not to spend another 90 canadian on a 4th pro controller.
If you can spend money on 3. What difference does it make for a 4th? I would grab it. I wont use the joy cons with the grip. Its just to small for my big hands and feels really toy like. Thank goodness the Pro controller is a total beast. I love the thing!
post #183 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 301
We bought this primarily for the kids, but I'll throw in my two cents after having spent some decent time with it. Overall, I think it feels more like a Gameboy that you can connect to the TV, rather than a home console that is portable (if that makes sense). The end result is a bunch of compromises. It isn't powerful enough to compete with the X1/PS4 as a home console, and even as a portable it is somewhat compromised (it fails the pocket test). The joy-cons are an ergonomic disaster, whether used individually or together with the grip (and holy hell are they expensive). I actually thought they felt slightly better individually, but the fact that the + and - controllers feel different in your hands is odd (yet another compromise of this design).

The game lineup is almost non-existent at this point. We bought Zelda and Bomberman. Zelda seems to be a hit with the kids, but I feel totally ripped off by Bomberman. Seems like the type of game that would be free with Games with Gold on Xbox, not a full-priced retail game.

On the plus side, the screen quality is better than I expected considering the low resolution. It is bright and colorful, and the touch screen is responsive. I think it will also be nice to take on road trips (although battery life is a concern). As a home console, I'm not so sure. The kids are already gravitating back to the X1, although that may change once Mario Kart comes out and the eventual release of Smash Bros.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
If you can spend money on 3. What difference does it make for a 4th? I would grab it. I wont use the joy cons with the grip. Its just to small for my big hands and feels really toy like. Thank goodness the Pro controller is a total beast. I love the thing!
Agreed - the pro controller made it hard for me to go back to playing with joycons, at all. Which kind of sucks because I definitely have use cases to play with joycons attached to screen. I'll do it, but Zelda feels much easier and more natural with the Pro Controller.
ingramba likes this.

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #185 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, other than Zelda there definitely isn't much yet... and I see a lot of comments on that, but at the same time, everyone kind of knew that going in, right? While I've gotten more games than that, I wouldn't have bought the Switch without Zelda. As mentioned I had planned on buying a Wii U for this game, and instead am much more pleased with the concept of the Switch instead. But overall, quick summaries on the launch games:

• Bomberman is definitely not worth it, I'd agree on that. The controls need to be precise for that series, and they're just way too floaty. And I hate the camera angles in Story mode.
  • Snipperclips is a lot of fun with two players... but it's not exactly a system seller.
  • Shovel Knight is a great game and you can get either the new expansion standalone or the complete set. It's really the only other launch game I'd recommend without caveats.
  • 1-2 Switch I bought just to give a try in larger groups... and that one definitely requires that group of people to be drinking before it gets entertaining. Should've been $20 max (and it might not even be worth that).
  • Fast RMX disappointed me a lot. Just not even in the same ballpark as F-Zero X or GX. Again for my liking the controls are too loose here. Spend most of the game bouncing from wall to wall.
  • I Am Setsuna is a good game, but it gets hurt by Square Enix's insistence on comparing it to one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Sure, they took a lot of the Chrono Trigger battle system, but it never comes anywhere close to meeting that game's level. (Only played this one on PC).
And I guess there's that Just Dance game too.

Just thinking of the last console I bought previously, I know the Xbox One released with more games (the internet tells me it was 25), but a large number of them were terrible and most were mediocre, so I'm not sure that Nintendo's launch lineup of one amazing game is really that much worse. Whether you agree with them or disagree with them, one of the big lessons Nintendo has stated about the Wii U is that they would go for way too long between their tentpole releases. They're making a conscious effort to change that this time. (And we are already seeing that a little with Zelda, then Mario Kart next month, Arms in the spring, Splatoon in the summer, and Mario Odyssey for the holidays). I don't know if it'll be successful or not, but I mean clearly some stuff wasn't working so well in their Wii U strategies and I don't blame them for mixing things up.

Anyway, I see a lot of people complaining about the JoyCon ergonomics, which to me is weird. I find them to be a pretty comfortable experience, both handheld/attached to the Switch, and separate... and I have pretty average sized hands for a guy, the regular (non-XL) 3DS hurts my hands pretty badly, I use large gloves in the lab, etc. I admittedly have barely used the grip to combine them into a single controller though. And holding them sideways for multiplayer is about as cramped as expected. Overall though, I got a refund on the Pro Controller that was stolen off my doorstep, and I actually don't care as much to get a replacement... I'll probably wait to see if the Pro Controller drops in price eventually. But overall, I find the hardware ergonomics to be about perfect. (...But again that kickstand is a piece of ****).

I totally agree that the limited power is going to be problematic for the home console half, most specifically with third-parties. I don't think anyone could use this as their primary gaming device, that's for sure.
DaverJ and tsaville like this.

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-08-2017 at 09:58 AM.
post #186 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The underpowered issue is moot when you realize it can be played 100% portable. Which also bodes well for its third party sustainability. Most powerful portable of all time with analog sticks and if you want play it on tv bonus. Judging it based off console only systems is disingenuous. How long would the battery last on a PS4 or PS4 pro level portable? And how much $? $1200 and 24 minutes at 5 lumens coming off the screen. Will get one later this year for MARIO.

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-A780)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮Switch▪️PS4▪️Xbox One X 2.5TB
post #187 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
The underpowered issue is moot when you realize it can be played 100% portable. Which also bodes well for its third party sustainability. Most powerful portable of all time with analog sticks and if you want play it on tv bonus. Judging it based off console only systems is disingenuous. How long would the battery last on a PS4 or PS4 pro level portable? And how much $? $1200 and 24 minutes at 5 lumens coming off the screen. Will get one later this year for MARIO.
Of course, but when plugged into the dock, it still is going to get judged fully in the context of a home system. And even as great a game as it is, Breath of the Wild struggles to maintain framerate at 900p.

And then add to that the fact that the competitors use an entirely different architecture (AMD x86 APUs versus ARM & Nvidia), that there are routinely third-party games that are 40GB and up (Mass Effect Andromeda will be somewhere between 45GB and 60GB installed on PS4 and Xbox One apparently) where the Switch game card is rumored to have 16GB standard (meaning to put in 32GB or upwards of that it's going to increase the manufacturer cost), and the need to optimize for lower performance hardware... I've said before, but I fully expect that the Switch will get scaled-up Vita and 3DS class games from the major third-parties, not anything from their console-class AAA teams. Though of course, that depends on sales too.

Now, the portability of the Switch is definitely a bigger factor to me than its graphics performance, but I think it's all going to factor in for how the device is judged both in the market and by developers.

post #188 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Graphically intense games scaled down might be few and far between. But a slightly more powerful PS3 in hand is great. You want bleeding edge get PC. Not getting a non 3D 4K till the wheels fall off my plasma.

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-A780)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
post #189 of 326 Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
One look at Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U is enough to leave me feeling satisfied with the horsepower present here that offers a boost over that level. Hard to imagine a more beautiful Mario Kart title, yet Switch will be able to deliver that experience at an even higher resolution.

The power divide is problematic for 3rd party titles crafted for the competition, but it was never going to compete there between the necessity of balancing mobility and costs, and everyone's preconceived notions on what Nintendo gaming is all about.

That leaves it needing to have enough horsepower to deliver beautiful and engaging 1st party experiences, and I think Nintendo has accomplished that.
post #190 of 326 Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
Graphically intense games scaled down might be few and far between. But a slightly more powerful PS3 in hand is great. You want bleeding edge get PC. Not getting a non 3D 4K till the wheels fall off my plasma.
I don't think anyone is talking about bleeding edge but, honestly the PS4/X1 are bleeding edge when compared to the switch. Just compare the graphics of BOTW and Horizon ZD, one looks bleeding edge when compared to the other (not talking about quality of the overall game, just graphics).

I just think Nintendo has the same problem they had with the Wii U. I think there will be a huge lack of third party games that will ultimately hurt sales. Not here but, on some other gaming forums, I've seen speculation that maybe there will be a Switch version of RDR 2. No way that game even sniffs the Switch. I think these people are setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment if they think those types of games will be on the Switch.

I don't know if any of you visit siftd.net but, I'm a member there because I enjoy the content. I agree with something that Sean from SIFTD said on the recent episode of GameFace. Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a home console that is portable and that the 3DS is not going anywhere. They should have marketed this as the new mobile platform that is replacing the 3DS and it can be played on your TV. That may not sound like a big change to some people but, it changes the perception of the system and probably would have avoided many of the PS4/X1 comparisons. As it stands, many people immediately compare it to the other consoles that are actually $50 or more cheaper. That perception is a problem for Nintendo IMO.

Look, I'm not bashing the system, I will probably get one eventually and I even had one pre-ordered for a while. I'm not a Zelda fan so the launch lineup was really lacking for me and I canceled my pre-order. I think it looks like an fun system. I love Mario games so I'm waiting until those are released later this year but, may even wait until a price drop.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #191 of 326 Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

XB1 had to change up its strategy. Ditch the Kinect and go backward compatible. Absolutely the winning move for N is positioning it as a super portable that also can dock rather than home console you can pick up and take. Already have the others so a primary device it is not.

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-A780)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
post #192 of 326 Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Really want to Twitch stream the Switch, but looks like the only way to do it as of now is to buy a ~$150 HDMI Capture Card. Chances they include Twitch streaming ever into the device? I'm thinking slim to none.

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #193 of 326 Old 03-09-2017, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Because i will never use more then 4 controllers, so spending 90 dollars means the joy cons would also become a waste of money ($100 value in canada). It would be much nicer if they were simply fine to use thus getting some use out of them and saving money to spend on another game on another system. Im already a bit disappointed with the price of the accessories here in canada.

Last edited by Murilo; 03-09-2017 at 11:31 PM.
post #194 of 326 Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I got a second dock for a second room, and first of all, I should point out that nothing but the official Nintendo charger works to power the dock.

Secondly, my living room is larger by far, with a projector, PC, Xbox One, and secondary dual-band router in the room. There, I can sit 15 feet away and barely have any issues with the left Joy-Con unless blocking by my body. In the second room, I have my primary dual-band router, my file server and a few other Wifi devices in the room, but I sit about 7 feet from the TV there. There, I have tons and tons of left Joy-Con issues no matter how I sit. I'm in a city, so interference is pretty bad in both rooms, but the biggest difference is that the second room has a glass TV stand with the Switch dock on the middle shelf. I wonder if that's close enough to the 'do not use near an aquarium' advice that Nintendo gives. I'll probably have to adjust where I put the dock and see if that helps. It's a little cumbersome to put the Switch into the dock with it on the middle shelf anyway so I might have to see if it blocks the screen to have it on top.

post #195 of 326 Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're not concerned about all the stuff flying around about the dock's scratching systems?

I think if it were me, I'd of waited a bit on buying a second dock, just in case those aren't one-offs affecting a tiny minority of users. If there's a legitimate issue here that's affecting most users, Nintendo surely will fix it before too many more are produced.

I have a feeling that the problem has been blown way out of proportion though. Hard to comprehend how Nintendo could ship a dock that will damage the system, so I think we're just hearing a few vocal complaints and seeing a lot of paranoia.
post #196 of 326 Old 03-18-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope, not at all concerned. For one, the Nintendo branded case I bought came with a screen protector so it's totally fine now.

But even in the week or so that I went without any screen protection, I had zero issues with the dock scratching the screen, and I wasn't even all that careful putting it in. Like you said, I think it's a lot of paranoia.

Also, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ went on sale yesterday and that was an immediate buy to have that portable. There's a lot of gross-out 'humor' (I mean the main weapons for you and opponents are tears, urine, and blood... with lots of poop around for good measure) and religious themes, so I can't blame anyone who refuses to play the game based on that... but it's such a great game. Between the Flash original and the remake that uses a better engine, I'm up to 73 hours in BoI on PC (and I'm on the low end for people who play that game), but I have a feeling I'll surpass that pretty quickly on Switch just since I can play it while other things are going on on TV.

Speaking of playtime, after 10 days the Switch profile page switches from "First played on..." to an estimate of how many hours you've played. I've only bothered with one of the four main story things (making it super general just in case) and have been wandering, exploring, going to shrines... and I'm at "55 hours or more" played so far.

And I'll admit while I knew the ability to play handheld while around the house would appeal to me, it's making it harder to want to play via Xbox or PC (except VR). I admittedly barely use my Xbox One these days (except for EA games that I'd have to purchase via Origin on PC), but even Mass Effect or a lot of the PC games I would generally be playing, sometimes it's like I really wish I could play this laying in bed or whatever. I was super-excited about Mass Effect Andromeda, but haven't even started the free ten hour trial I get via EA Access because of that.

On an unrelated note, while Switch has BoTW, now Binding of Isaac, and will be getting Stardew Valley over the summer to round out the number of addictive time-sucking games... I fear for humanity if they put Civilization 6 on this thing.

Also, they did patch Bomberman and greatly improve the controls. And another thing... Nintendo really needs to implement a shortcut to change controller grip order or whatever. If the two JoyCons are connected as one controller, but someone takes the left one and wants to switch to two separate controllers, there's no way the left JoyCon can go to the 'change grip' menu. I feel like pressing and holding the minus or plus from the system menu screen should jump immediately to the that screen.
Leo_Ames likes this.

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-18-2017 at 06:44 AM.
post #197 of 326 Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dont think i have seen it posted on here, but does anyone have this random hdmi switching issue when its docked? I am still waiting for stock but a bit concerning, seen posts on reddit and about 100+ thread on nintendo saying when its docked and in sleep mode it will randomly send a signal to switch inputs on your tv.
post #198 of 326 Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've got CEC disabled on both my TVs because I use Harmony remotes so I haven't seen it at all.

post #199 of 326 Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I've got CEC disabled on both my TVs because I use Harmony remotes so I haven't seen it at all.
Supposedly I think reading the thread it was doing it even with CEC off but that does not make sense to me.

Samsung and LG it happens to some say, but another with sony claimed it did not effect him. This is in sleep mode btw. Full power off wont have the issue.

Found this in the nintendo forum

"Yeah, it's been determined this isn't an HDMI-CEC issue, rather an issue with the TV and/or HDMI switch reacting to ANY signal received on a specific pin from the source. Since other devices don't send a signal on that pin unless they're broadcasting an image, it's not an issue for them, but for some reason the Switch does do this and it makes these particular products change inputs for no apparent reason. I'd like to see literally anyone address it. Samsung (my TV manufacturer) should have a way to turn off auto-switching. There's no reason it MUST be on by default, but that's the way they designed it. Nintendo should never have made their system send a signal unless it is awake. I believe everyone is at fault here. If I could turn off auto-switching on my Samsung I'd be perfectly fine right now, but I can't, and replacing my TV is a lot more expensive than returning (or reselling for a profit, looking at Ebay prices) my Switch. The real problem you'll see here is that Nintendo has, as usual, completely sold out of their product, and demand is still high. What reason do they have to fix it? What will people do about it? Not buy their consoles anymore? They'll still sell out day 1."
helvetica bold likes this.

Last edited by Murilo; 03-22-2017 at 03:27 PM.
post #200 of 326 Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One big hardware nitpick that I have is that unless I'm missing something, there doesn't appear to be any way to wake the Switch from a wireless JoyCon. It's such a minor thing, but it's pretty annoying.

Edit: Apparently pressing home wakes from sleep. I swear I was trying that before posting this and it wasn't working... but it's working now.

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-27-2017 at 04:35 PM.
post #201 of 326 Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
It's funny because I've always been a bit of a graphics whore, but I would say more than half of my time gaming is playing on my Nvidia Shield tablet. Meanwhile, I have a great PC and a 138 inch projection screen sitting in my basement gathering dust. I think the reason why is it's so much easier to just pick up the tablet and play for even just a few minutes between various happenings during the day vs. setting everything up in my theater and feeling like I have to sit down for a two hour session minimum. The problem I have with Android is the stupid "free" games with energy, keys, etc. that limit my play or make me pay to keep going. I would much rather just pay for a game and be done with it.

Because of this, I'm actually leaning towards getting a Switch over an X1 or PS4. Honestly, this is the first time I've even considered anything Nintendo since the N64. I do think they dropped the ball on the size of the portable (should be 8" at least IMHO) and resolution, but I think the first party games will maximize the potential of the system. I could care less about third party stuff anyway as those games will probably show up on the Windows 10 store. I'm excited about the region free aspect of this system as well. Japanese RPGs that don't get released here (as well as shmups) could turn out to be really awesome.
post #202 of 326 Old 03-27-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I mentioned earlier that in my smaller second room I have some slight Joycon desync issues, even though I don't in the larger room.

I ended up going with the DIY conductive foam fix, since I already had the foam and a triwing screwdriver (and that I didn't want to wait for Nintendo to fix it), and it seems to have fixed all issues. Even when I try to cause problems by putting the Joycon behind my back or underneath me or anything, it now works great.

post #203 of 326 Old 04-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The Pro Controller is the best controller I have ever used. It is a definite must if you buy the system.
fatherom likes this.
post #204 of 326 Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Got two Switch's on launch day but haven't been back to post my thoughts till now (75 hours in Zelda plus 2 funerals and like everyone I know is getting diagnosed with untreatable terminal cancer in the last month.)

This is the most well engineered device I've ever bought. The Nvidia Shield is the best $200 I've ever spent on a device, but the Switch is the best designed handheld device I've ever seen. The Joycons are an absolute triumph in engineering/design/controller design. These are exactly the controller(s) I've wanted for a decade. All I wanted for a successor to the Wii was HD capability and new controllers with an analog stick on each one and no wire between them; obviously the Wii U Gamepad was an enormous disappointment for me at its announcement, it was literally the opposite of what I wanted. Every controller I've used since the Wii has just felt cramped and old fashioned. The Joycons are a "joy" to use (note, I do have to use the straps for comfort, and it gets a little tedious putting them on and off everytime but what are you gunna do... but I'd be all over buying a set that doesn't connect to the tablet and are designed purely for couch comfort.) The only time I've used the Grip is for Shovel Knight the one time I played it on docked mode, somehow it works better in a more traditional hand position (though I mostly have played Shovel Knight in handheld mode so not much of an issue).

I thought that I'd be playing the Switch docked 99.9% but I'm actually playing in handheld about 10%. This is significant because I've not owned or been interested in a handheld since the original monochrome Gameboy. I've tried all of them, but they all felt tiny, cramped and compromised. But the Switch is actually a fantastic handheld because there are almost no compromises: you've got an HD screen, full controller inputs, and full console games instead of games designed for mobile style gaming. It makes it the first handheld worth playing for me. And justifies buying two, one for me and one for the wife (I was worried we wouldn't really ever be playing them mobile and one would be wasted but now I know it was the right choice).

I've owned the Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Xbox (for about a year), Wii, XB360 (for about a month), and have played all kinds of PC games since the Commadore64. Zelda is hands down, unquestionably the best game I have ever played in my life. I understand this is partly a matter of taste, it may not be for everyone, but in truth I think they have designed this so well that there is something for nearly everyone to love in this game. I'm 75 hours in with maybe half the shrines and 1/4th of the "dungeons" and I'm in no hurry. I've only got the right half of the map visible! Literally every time I play, it will be less than five minutes before I say "holy crap, look at this!". I believe for most people, it is worth getting a Switch right now just to play Zelda. If you aren't playing it, you are missing out on something magical. Then of course you'll have the Switch in hand as other games come along. Everyone complaining about graphical capability, I just don't get it. Zelda looks FANTASTIC in 1080p on my 106" projector at 10 feet. (it also looks surprisingly good and even immersive in handheld mode). That said, I don't care if the Switch ever gets Call of Duty or Titanfall or whatever, that's what PC's are for anyway, I'm fairly certain the Switch will have plenty of games that look and play amazing in the next year and beyond.

Snipperclips is both fun and may end your friendships in four player mode. You've been warned.
Fast RMX is... Okay. Not bad, not great. Might have been better value at $5 to $10 instead of $20. Hopefully Redout is better. Of course Mario Kart will be fun, it always is, so there's that.
Shovel Knight is a real nostalgia trip. I forgot games used to be hard and that was the fun part! I hadn't even realized how easy modern games had become until comparing to this.
Bomberman... I've played it for maybe five minutes. Not knocking it really, but it certainly didn't grab me at first play. I'll get back to it, but I purposely bought it physical so I could trade it in if I didn't like it.
DaverJ, dougotte and Bigfame like this.
post #205 of 326 Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
Zelda looks FANTASTIC in 1080p on my 106" projector at 10 feet.
Technically Zelda is max 900p when the Switch is docked, but that's a minor detail.

I agree with most of what you said about Breath of the Wild, although I've only played it on the Wii U. It's still an amazing game on the previous system as well - just seeing the Wii U capable of running such a massive game as well as it does is impressive to me. I'm sure I'll get a Switch at some point down the road, but there aren't enough compelling games for me yet. Thanks for all the feedback though.
post #206 of 326 Old 04-12-2017, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
Zelda looks FANTASTIC in 1080p on my 106" projector at 10 feet.
Technically Zelda is max 900p when the Switch is docked, but that's a minor detail.

I agree with most of what you said about Breath of the Wild, although I've only played it on the Wii U. It's still an amazing game on the previous system as well - just seeing the Wii U capable of running such a massive game as well as it does is impressive to me. I'm sure I'll get a Switch at some point down the road, but there aren't enough compelling games for me yet. Thanks for all the feedback though.
oh, certainly. The few people I've known with a Wii U, I told them just get Zelda on Wii U, its only a slight visual improvement on the Switch. I'm only telling those who don't have a Wii U (which is most people) that its worth getting the Switch right now for Zelda and having it in hand for upcoming games (because it seems silly to tell them to go get a Wii U at this point). A lot of people think its not worth it for one game right now and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think for MOST people it actually is worth it, its that good.
DaverJ likes this.
post #207 of 326 Old 04-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Dont think i have seen it posted on here, but does anyone have this random hdmi switching issue when its docked? I am still waiting for stock but a bit concerning, seen posts on reddit and about 100+ thread on nintendo saying when its docked and in sleep mode it will randomly send a signal to switch inputs on your tv.
I have the dock hooked up to an LG and I randomly see HDMI 2 now available. I have the dock hooked up to the HDMI 2 port but my TV doesn't switch to the port automatically.
post #208 of 326 Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Ok so I went into Walmart today and they actually had consoles that just arrived this morning. You have no idea how hard it is to find them here so I feel like it was meant to be for me to buy one. I haven't had much chance to play it, but it really does feel like a slick piece of machinery. Like others have said, I'm not expecting it to compete with the PS4 and X1, but I don't think that was Nintendo's intention, either. The screen feels plenty big and with the controllers on the sides it feels quite large (bigger than your average tablet). The touch screen is very responsive, but the layout of the right thumbstick feels so awkward. I got the pro controller (wth they are so expensive) and Zelda. As long as they roll out some fun games along the way, I'll be happy to hand down my android tablet to my kids. I'm so sick of in-app purchases - just let me pay for the damn game and leave me alone after that.
DaverJ likes this.
post #209 of 326 Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you download Blaster Master Zero? Seems odd with your username that you didn't even mention it.
post #210 of 326 Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm so excited for Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey. Really hoping they do a port of Skyward Sword as well. My switch library is severely lacking right now.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page