The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (98 metacritic) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 765
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (98 metacritic)

I have watched a few videos and this game looks simply stunning! I really wish I had a Wii U or Switch; might have to save up as this looks like a system seller.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switc...th-of-the-wild

DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 136
After reading some reviews and checking out various impressions looks like I'm walking back on my earlier statements on waiting to buy a Switch. What sealed the deal are the comparisons to Ocarina of Time, which is my number one of all time, and how this is the new standard for Zelda and maybe all games going forward. Need to find a buyer for my 3DS as no point in keeping it to collect dust.

Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
PSN: PikturePerfekt07
post #3 of 56 Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Been playing now for 3 hours straight (on Switch) even though I haven't really actually accomplished much of anything. Did some hunting, but mostly just exploring the first area. Having to press a button to jump in a LoZ game is a bit odd muscle memory-wise. And I definitely immediately swapped the B & X buttons in options.

I also love the Pro HUD option which takes away everything from the screen but your hearts. Maybe I wouldn't mind an intermediate option that added the minimap in, but still great this way.

Biggest gameplay nitpick is that weapons are deteriorating very quickly during these early parts of the game, but there's so many around all the time that it hasn't been a real problem. (Which I'm sure overall is intentional on both counts).

I loved too how it just dumps you right into the game. No menus, no nothing, just "Wake up" and off you go.

I am definitely seeing framerate stutters occasionally on the Switch (on the TV). Mostly when there's a ton of grass..
DaverJ likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-04-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's something awesomely freeing about being able to climb any (or at least nearly any? haven't found something I can't climb yet) rock surface you run into.
DaverJ likes this.

post #5 of 56 Old 03-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Played a couple hours after I picked mine up at midnight Thursday night. Played 4 more last night and a few today as well. This game is prob the best overall in all categories I care about since Ocarina of Time. It looks gorgeous, is fun to play, and puzzles are very complicated at times but not so much that I've gotten stuck. @jhoff80 - wait until it starts raining!

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #6 of 56 Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Sorry, I know nothing about the Switch or WiiU and these might be stupid questions, but is there an advantage to one over the other to play the new Zelda game? Ocarina of Time is one of the best games I ever played and I am thinking of picking up a Nintendo just to play this new Zelda game. Also, I assume there is no issue hooking these consoles up to a HT system/projector? Do both consoles have an HDMI out?
post #7 of 56 Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, both have HDMI out. The Switch will give you slightly better quality graphics, but it'll be more expensive than a Wii U. The Wii U has a home console plus a tablet controller that needs to be wirelessly tethered to the console at all times for the game to work. The Switch is a tablet that is the console. When you play at home, you just put the tablet in the dock, and the dock has no problem with a connection to a receiver (though only 5.1 supported FYI). But you can also take it with you. I've now done about 10 hours on the TV and 10 hours portable... and I have barely even touched the main story missions. It's just so fun to explore the map, take pictures, do the shrines, climb the towers (okay, the towers are more of a mild inconvenience but still), etc. I'm 21 hours in and only have 4 hearts at this point.

Edit: A comment on Reddit mislead me and that number was the time I had last saved at. Apparently you can't see total playtime in the OS until 10 days after first play.
Toe likes this.

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-13-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #8 of 56 Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Yes, both have HDMI out. The Switch will give you slightly better quality graphics, but it'll be more expensive than a Wii U. The Wii U has a home console plus a tablet controller that needs to be wirelessly tethered to the console at all times for the game to work. The Switch is a tablet that is the console. When you play at home, you just put the tablet in the dock. But you can also take it with you. I've now done about 10 hours on the TV and 10 hours portable... and I have barely even touched the main story missions. It's just so fun to explore the map, take pictures, do the shrines, climb the towers (okay, the towers are more of a mild inconvenience but still), etc. I'm 21 hours in and only have 4 hearts at this point.

I've been staying to the main storyline pretty well. But distractions are so easy. For some reason it feels so great to climb up high, find what you're looking for and glide on down! Every time I sit down to play I'm impressed immensely. Tonight I got to the Fire Champion but I'm turning in instead of playing through it. Need a good nights sleep before work, (not up until 4am playing like I've been the last couple nights haha). Also loving that I can "switch" between tablet and tv so easy. Last couple nights my wife's been watching some TV so I had the switch in tablet mode with joy cons attached sitting on couch playing. When she goes bed I pop the switch into the dock and pickup the pro controller and keep going immediately. That's very nice. A+ from me to the console and game so far. Refreshing to not have to wait for loading screens or, in the case of my Xbox one s, the menus to catch-up with my controller presses!

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #9 of 56 Old 03-06-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 263
The only real technical advantage where Breath of the Wild itself is concerned on the Switch in docked mode versus the Wii U connected to the same television, is that it runs in 900p versus 720p.

You lose the already stated mobility of the Switch version, you theoretically have inferior audio if Nintendo is to be believed (Although nobody seems to have been able to pick up on the differences yet), and the Wii U's offscreen play is just a 480p downscaling of the system's tv output.

So unlike the Switch in 720p handheld mode that loses the jutters, you still get the same frame rate drops on the Wii U gamepad as you do on the tv, since it's still rendering the game at the same resolution it would for your television.
Toe likes this.
post #10 of 56 Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plus, one more thing I forgot about. The Nintendo Switch tee-shirt you get in-game with the Expansion Pass makes way more sense when playing on Switch.

post #11 of 56 Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way, if you're getting this and have a ton of experience with Zelda games, and haven't read anything about it... be prepared to throw out all expectations of what to expect from the series: items, weapons, shields, abilities, dungeons, it's all completely different from anything else in the franchise's history (even something as integral to the series as bombs are handled entirely differently).

Or for another example without giving anything away... everyone is used to cutting grass or destroying all the pots to look for rupees in past games. It was probably about 10 hours into this game before I remembered - hey, that sort of stuff is usually destructable (and it is in this too of course, but generally empty). It just doesn't feel like a game where you would ever bother with that. It makes more sense to sell loot than it does to hunt for rupees any other way.

It's like they took the basics of the franchise (Link, Zelda, a sword, shield, and bow) and put it into a blender and what came out is something great but also entirely new and different for the series.
merceg100 likes this.

post #12 of 56 Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
By the way, if you're getting this and have a ton of experience with Zelda games, and haven't read anything about it... be prepared to throw out all expectations of what to expect from the series: items, weapons, shields, abilities, dungeons, it's all completely different from anything else in the franchise's history (even something as integral to the series as bombs are handled entirely differently).

Or for another example without giving anything away... everyone is used to cutting grass or destroying all the pots to look for rupees in past games. It was probably about 10 hours into this game before I remembered - hey, that sort of stuff is usually destructable (and it is in this too of course, but generally empty). It just doesn't feel like a game where you would ever bother with that. It makes more sense to sell loot than it does to hunt for rupees any other way.

It's like they took the basics of the franchise (Link, Zelda, a sword, shield, and bow) and put it into a blender and what came out is something great but also entirely new and different for the series.

I think it has many similarities with prior games, with less concern for rewarding you with semi-permanent gear for game progression. Instead, the acquisition of gear being an integral part of the game and storyline has been pushed aside and become disposable for the most part. Other than that, the puzzles and open world concepts absolutely pay homage to the likes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask in my opinion, to a greater degree in Breath of the Wild in fact!

post #13 of 56 Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess my point was more that it feels like a remix of the formula than the classic games, but I was trying to be coy as there's seemingly people interested in the game that don't have a Switch yet. There's not even that many 'classic' dungeons. Instead there's a bunch of one to five room trials. Which is fine of course, but it's entirely different from the past. I brought up bombs because in this you have an infinite amount, where it's not an item that you buy or find. Just turning convention on its head in all aspects. Or even something like whistling for your horse. In past games, Epona would come to you from literally anywhere. Here, there's a great chance your horse might just be too far away.

But yeah, I love how open the world is. I've still just been wandering through the world without accomplishing much other than doing shrines and getting the towers (all but two at this point).

And also I love how so many potential interactions have been thought about (except for some reason petting animals). Of course if it's raining you wouldn't be able to climb well. Or if you have metal weapons equipped of course you might get hit by lightning (although I'm not sure where Link would store his inventory to not be affected that way but hey, magic! ). Or feeding things. Or the temperature meter affecting your health. (Though I do personally prefer the Pro HUD to get rid of some of the in-game information overload. It works better to me when you have to check your Slate to see any of that... though as I mentioned I wouldn't mind an option that adds a minimap to what's in the Pro HUD). But it's just those little touches that make the world feel really lived in, in a way that past games haven't had.

That being said, I have had some really bad (but still rare) framerate glitches on occasion when I explore. Almost like the game freezes up entirely for a second and then action resumes.

post #14 of 56 Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I guess my point was more that it feels like a remix of the formula than the classic games, but I was trying to be coy as there's seemingly people interested in the game that don't have a Switch yet. There's not even that many 'classic' dungeons. Instead there's a bunch of one to five room trials. Which is fine of course, but it's entirely different from the past. I brought up bombs because in this you have an infinite amount, where it's not an item that you buy or find. Just turning convention on its head in all aspects. Or even something like whistling for your horse. In past games, Epona would come to you from literally anywhere. Here, there's a great chance your horse might just be too far away.

But yeah, I love how open the world is. I've still just been wandering through the world without accomplishing much other than doing shrines and getting the towers (all but two at this point).

And also I love how so many potential interactions have been thought about (except for some reason petting animals). Of course if it's raining you wouldn't be able to climb well. Or if you have metal weapons equipped of course you might get hit by lightning (although I'm not sure where Link would store his inventory to not be affected that way but hey, magic! ). Or feeding things. Or the temperature meter affecting your health. (Though I do personally prefer the Pro HUD to get rid of some of the in-game information overload. It works better to me when you have to check your Slate to see any of that... though as I mentioned I wouldn't mind an option that adds a minimap to what's in the Pro HUD). But it's just those little touches that make the world feel really lived in, in a way that past games haven't had.

That being said, I have had some really bad (but still rare) framerate glitches on occasion when I explore. Almost like the game freezes up entirely for a second and then action resumes.

Just in case anyone is hyper sensitive to spoilers:

Spoiler!

post #15 of 56 Old 03-13-2017, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Those seeing stutters in console mode, did you digitally download the game or are you using a cartridge? I'm wondering if downloading the game would reduce stuttering..hoping it has to do with read time of the cartridge and not the hardware itself.

Quote:
I am definitely seeing framerate stutters occasionally on the Switch (on the TV). Mostly when there's a ton of grass..
post #16 of 56 Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Digitally, on a 128GB Samsung microSD here. The framerate mostly stutters in heavily grassy areas with lots of visual effects (light shining through trees, etc.) so I'm pretty sure it's the GPU not keeping up, not a read speed issue.

Apparently there's also a minor OS bug according to the Fast RMX developers, but I doubt that will completely solve the framerate drops in BotW either:

Quote:
From what we understand, there is a small issue with the current firmware on Switch which causes a slight drain on GPU resources - once corrected, we're told that Fast RMX should sustain a full 1080p in docked mode
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...wer-over-wii-u

Either way though, while it's annoying when I notice it, it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the game at all.

post #17 of 56 Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Digitally, on a 128GB Samsung microSD here. The framerate mostly stutters in heavily grassy areas with lots of visual effects (light shining through trees, etc.) so I'm pretty sure it's the GPU not keeping up, not a read speed issue.

Apparently there's also a minor OS bug according to the Fast RMX developers, but I doubt that will completely solve the framerate drops in BotW either:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...wer-over-wii-u

Either way though, while it's annoying when I notice it, it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the game at all.

First time it happened to me last night was when I was exploring the lost woods. Lots of shading and fog and such seemed to cause it.

post #18 of 56 Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Really hooked on this game but as an old timer I'm kinda stuck on the great plateau. I have a few questions.
What do Kuracs do besides go tee hee?
What has to be done to get the old man to give up the parasail?
I'm at a point where starting over may be necessary as I've pretty much cleaned the plateau out of everything I can find.
post #19 of 56 Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I bought BOTW with the Switch and i really love this Zelda. For me, it's the perfect mix between Skyrim and Zelda.
And the autonomy is correct for that video game.
post #20 of 56 Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
Really hooked on this game but as an old timer I'm kinda stuck on the great plateau. I have a few questions.
I'm at a point where starting over may be necessary as I've pretty much cleaned the plateau out of everything I can find.
You'll probably find out later about what you can trade the Korok seeds for, but you'll find a bigger forest creature at some point that will trade them. Twice along the path between towns, and then he sets up a permanent residence elsewhere.

There's no reason you should have to start over from the plateau. But you need to get the first few shrines cleared to get your basic abilities before you can leave the plateau.

Last edited by jhoff80; 03-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.
post #21 of 56 Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
In order to get the parasail from the old man, you have to complete the four shrines in the area -- Oman Au, Ja Baij, Keh Namut, and Owa Dam Shrines.

In order to get to two of the shrines though, you need to pass through some cold weather, which you will need to have some sort of cold resistance for. Either you can carry around a torch to keep you warm, or you can cook a meal for the old man using the following ingredients -- raw meat, spicy pepper, and hyrule bass. You can find the hyrule bass in the lake near the Temple of Time, spicy peppers near the main entrance of the cold area (archway-type structure), and then the raw meat you can get by hunting the boar in the Forest of Spirits.

I went the longer route and got the ingredients and cooked for the old man, which then he gave me the Warm Doublet to wear. It took me a while to figure out how to overcome the cold area at first.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #22 of 56 Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Thanks for the tips but since I posted we figured it out and finally got off the plateau.
Don't know who is more into this game the grandkids or me but it sure is fun discussing the game with them as we proceed. In my opinion this is the best game ever, I've watched them on play station, too much blood and guts but this game teaches the importance of eating right, living right and making the good decisions. Kudos to the creator.
dougotte likes this.
post #23 of 56 Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I hear you. Despite my general nit-pickiness for graphics fidelity (re: graphics snob), like draw distances, anti-aliasing, and other things, I am more enthralled with game than any other game I've played in the last decade or more, including other Zelda games. I never figured I'd be this thorough with a game again, since most of the time I just struggle to finish the main quest!

My current main quest right now is the seeking out the four Guardians, although I end up doing most side-quests that I come across. I've even gone as far as collecting all the korok seeds in the Great Plateau area.
dougotte likes this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #24 of 56 Old 04-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This game is going to take me forever to beat. Every time I start to make progress on the main story I get sidetracked. And given how big the map is, there are a TON of things upon which to get sidetracked.
post #25 of 56 Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Nothing of value to add. Just loved this game from start to finish. I was mostly surprised with how well it upscaled onto my 4k tv. A lot of things less than 1080p struggle to look good but this game was gorgeous.
post #26 of 56 Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'll also add why I love Zelda, open world games just don't interest me. I like old school games like super meat boy. That being said, even I'm having a blast with BoTW.
post #27 of 56 Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesaidsam View Post
I'll also add why I love Zelda, open world games just don't interest me. I like old school games like super meat boy. That being said, even I'm having a blast with BoTW.
I beat the game after like 120 hours (and completed all the shrines, all sidequests, but didn't level up all my armor or get all the Korok seeds). I loved it, but there are definitely things that could be nitpicked about. The story is barebones at best, made worse by the terrible voice acting. And also, I was disappointed by the lack of 'traditional' dungeons. I mean, I enjoyed the shrines and the divine beasts, but it would have been cool to have a few larger themed dungeons... maybe with a special weapon or armor, I don't know. I loved the open world and exploring, but the lack of dungeons was a tiny bit of a disappointment.

Still my favorite game in ages though.

Last edited by jhoff80; 05-14-2017 at 06:37 PM.
post #28 of 56 Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can't wait for the DLC for this game
post #29 of 56 Old 06-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just finished it and have to say it was a true joy to play from beginning to end. Hope more upcoming games can match or surpass the quality of this game.
post #30 of 56 Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new "Hero's Path" function just demonstrates how much of the map I've never even seen yet, despite getting all the shrines. I found a new stable I hadn't ever seen before, after 100 something hours. Haven't tried hard mode yet though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page