AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Nintendo (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/144-nintendo/)
-   -   Best Switch games for a 5 year old (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/144-nintendo/2942064-best-switch-games-5-year-old.html)

Krieger119 12-14-2017 12:20 PM

Best Switch games for a 5 year old

Xmas shopping for my 5 year old son. He's not ready for games like Zelda. He enjoys Mario Kart and now I'm looking for another game or 2. What would you recommend?

jhoff80 12-14-2017 01:23 PM

I don't have any children, so I'm just throwing a few ideas out there, but others might be able to add more feedback:

-I think Mario Odyssey might be a good one, because there's the assist mode that removes any penalty from dying, tells you where to go, there's a ton of stars that are easy, and as a last resort there's the two-player option so he could control the hat and you could control Mario.

-Snipperclips might be good if you plan on playing with him as well, but you'd most likely have to direct "okay, now turn to the side, cut my shape" etc. That one has a bit of a cutesy aesthetic that might appeal.

-I would assume he's probably not ready for Minecraft yet, but I know people use that one for educational purposes even.

-And then I'd also say the Lego games are supposed to be really good for families too.

Krieger119 12-16-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhoff80 (Post 55320166)
I don't have any children, so I'm just throwing a few ideas out there, but others might be able to add more feedback:

-I think Mario Odyssey might be a good one, because there's the assist mode that removes any penalty from dying, tells you where to go, there's a ton of stars that are easy, and as a last resort there's the two-player option so he could control the hat and you could control Mario.

-Snipperclips might be good if you plan on playing with him as well, but you'd most likely have to direct "okay, now turn to the side, cut my shape" etc. That one has a bit of a cutesy aesthetic that might appeal.

-I would assume he's probably not ready for Minecraft yet, but I know people use that one for educational purposes even.

-And then I'd also say the Lego games are supposed to be really good for families too.

Thank you for your suggestions. Most likely going with Mario and Minecraft. :)

jcbaggins 12-19-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krieger119 (Post 55329834)
Thank you for your suggestions. Most likely going with Mario and Minecraft. :)

I have a 5 year old and getting him the switch for christmas because at his friends' houses they play Mario Kart and Splatoon 2. I would suggest Splatoon 2 or you will be buying it eventually :)

jhoff80 01-17-2018 08:49 PM

In case you haven't seen it yet, you might want to check out the Labo stuff announced today for whatever next holiday comes up...

Adam_Clap 08-27-2018 09:03 PM

Kind of old-school here:

Battletoads and Double Dragon (fighter/adventure) was one of my favorite.
Also great: Ducktales (adventure/treasure hunting), Contra (shooter), Super Mario Bros (adventure/treasure hunting) 3rd part if I remember right was awesome! :)

JoshuaL 08-28-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Clap (Post 56709206)
Kind of old-school here:

Battletoads and Double Dragon (fighter/adventure) was one of my favorite.
Also great: Ducktales (adventure/treasure hunting), Contra (shooter), Super Mario Bros (adventure/treasure hunting) 3rd part if I remember right was awesome! :)

I don't believe any Super Mario Bros games are available yet for the Switch, other than the Arcade Archives version. Hopefully that changes with the online service next month.

jhoff80 09-04-2018 08:21 AM

For what it's worth, while I wouldn't expect any actual progress or completion, but when I was last with family for the holidays, my 5 year old cousin really enjoyed coop in the early stages of Overcooked. Mostly intentionally letting things overcook/light on fire while I played though. :D