PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 564Likes

post #1591 of 1994 Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Pre-Summer sale purchase This was a day one buy for me! Just saw it released today and finally grabbed it! Can't wait to check out the VR mode on it as well!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518060/Chess_Ultra/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622024714_1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2198753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622024736_1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2198761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622024748_1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2198769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622024822_1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2198777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622025023_1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2198785  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622025444_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2198793  

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 06-22-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1994 Old 06-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I always say I'm not going to buy much, but $80 with of games later... I'll probably be after more VR titles this time around then anything else

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
This is true.
post #1593 of 1994 Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Killing Floor is free from the Humble Store for the next few days.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/killing-floor

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1994 Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Another Steam Summer Sale, another GoT-themed and totally accurate depiction of the effects of the S^3 on our bank accounts.

post #1595 of 1994 Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Once again 99.9% of my wishlist is on sale and I just scrolled through it going "meh, meh, meh, meh" Lots of games I want but not enough to drop any money on right now. No must haves. Too busy with Arma 3 now anyway. This'll probably end up another sale where I buy absolutely nothing

EDIT: Just got an email from Steam "237 items from your wishlist are on sale!"
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _

Last edited by Marafice Eye; 06-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
post #1596 of 1994 Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just did some Summer Shopping. Picked up the following:

Deadfall Adventures Digital Deluxe $6.24

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition $3.99

Euclidean $2.49 VR Title

Gunjack $4.99 VR Title

ShellShock Live $4.19

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #1597 of 1994 Old 06-24-2017, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 781
RE: Steam summer sale...

I can't seem to find anything that I can't live without, which is not to imply that I have not tried to do some convincing.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #1598 of 1994 Old 06-24-2017, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gunjack is a very good pickup for VF for $4.99. Sort of reminds me of a new version of Missle Command and Galaga combined. Very nice graphics and some fun wave shooting. Total Rift game since it doesn't use the Vive controllers to track with, but still very fun to play.
DaverJ likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #1599 of 1994 Old 06-24-2017, 06:16 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 547
My wish list is much smaller, but I still think about 80% of it is on sale. I have the same deal. Most of these are interesting and a possible buy when the price can't be ignored. Otherwise I just let them sit on the list indefinitely.

I usually buy Rocksmith DLC every chance I get, but there hasn't been much in recent months that I have wanted. The songs I have that are on sale I think I can wait on for the next sale.

Hollow Knight and Rain World and possibly Little Nightmares are the top of the list if I get anything.

That Shadow of Mordor for $4 is a steal. Great game.

I blasted through the first Witcher 3 DLC pack this week, the 2nd one I still have to get underway, but I can't drag myself away from this FTP game on PS4 Let It Die. Game is really fun.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1600 of 1994 Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I just bought Hollow Knight on summer sale.

Really excited to play it.

Platformer games have been great to have for Steam In-Home streaming when I am watching the kids but still want to get a little gaming in.

Shank, Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat Boy, all work great and I can't wait to try this one on the big screen.

I have done some In-home streaming of Tomb Raider but since I am still doing this over wifi it is a little too laggy for your more graphically intensive games.

I have also played Planet Coaster on the In-Home streaming and it is OK. Since it runs slower the network can handle it but the problem is using the Steam Controller and figuring out a better config and getting the text larger on the game to see from 5-10ft.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #1601 of 1994 Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
I'm still slogging away on Mass Effect Andromeda. Don't laugh! I'm old and slow. I tend to really take my time in RPG's that I like. I do all of the side quests/missions/tasks in front of the priority mission to really level my character & teams up. So I tend to jump back and forth over the galaxy map solving the inane. which can make a game like ME-A repetitive and boring at times. Especially since the characters are so MEH...and the women so old west frontier looking. Definitely after midnight choices at the saloon. I've opened up all of the challenges and I am wrapping up everything before taking on the Archon. My Ryder is a Combat/Biotic Vanguard with POC thrown in. I like my loadout because it balances the challenges well for me on normal...not too easy...and slightly difficult. It keeps the old reflexes sharp. My thoughts so far...Good game, but missing the magic of ME-Trilogy. As I've said before...Bioware needs to do several big DLC packs to bridge the stories before even thinking about making a ME-A2. Because to my eyes ME-A plays like a massively big ME-Trilogy offshoot DLC. When played within that frame of story/lore reference...it is more epic to me.
post #1602 of 1994 Old 08-03-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I'm still slogging away on Mass Effect Andromeda. Don't laugh! I'm old and slow. I tend to really take my time in RPG's that I like. I do all of the side quests/missions/tasks in front of the priority mission to really level my character & teams up. So I tend to jump back and forth over the galaxy map solving the inane. which can make a game like ME-A repetitive and boring at times. Especially since the characters are so MEH...and the women so old west frontier looking. Definitely after midnight choices at the saloon. I've opened up all of the challenges and I am wrapping up everything before taking on the Archon. My Ryder is a Combat/Biotic Vanguard with POC thrown in. I like my loadout because it balances the challenges well for me on normal...not too easy...and slightly difficult. It keeps the old reflexes sharp. My thoughts so far...Good game, but missing the magic of ME-Trilogy. As I've said before...Bioware needs to do several big DLC packs to bridge the stories before even thinking about making a ME-A2. Because to my eyes ME-A plays like a massively big ME-Trilogy offshoot DLC. When played within that frame of story/lore reference...it is more epic to me.
Seriously! I am still playing Witcher 3, haven't even made it that far into the game to be honest. Not that I don't like it or anything, just don't have the time to play. RPG's take so much time to get anywhere that I usually avoid them unless it is one that I REALLY want.

Heck, I loved Borderlands 2 but never got any of the DLC for it because I just don't have the time to play.

Recently, when I have played anything it has been Quake Champions because they are quick games that take me back to my childhood.

I also have been toying with Dropzone which is lots of fun but I get completely creamed in it every single time but the matches are only 15 minutes.

Paragon was fun when I tried it but the games tended to last about 30-45 minutes which I normally only have 30 minutes to play at a single time and you get penalized for leaving a game early.

TF2 is still something I play regularly but since Overwatch was released I have noticed it is harder to find a game so I may consider grabbing Overwatch in the near future. Destiny 2 may keep me from that purchase though.

I am interested in checking out Dota 2 and League of Legends but still not 100% sure how I feel about MOBA games.

Dropzone is a MOBA that feels more like an RTS and Paragon is a third person MOBA and that different view makes it an interesting and honestly, quite pretty game.

Just installed Hollow Knight as well. Barely had a chance to play it but like it so far.

post #1603 of 1994 Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
Seriously! I am still playing Witcher 3, haven't even made it that far into the game to be honest. Not that I don't like it or anything, just don't have the time to play. RPG's take so much time to get anywhere that I usually avoid them unless it is one that I REALLY want.
You aren't joking about RPG's. I have a real love & hate addiction to them. When they are good to me...they are great. I just love games like Mass Effect Trilogy and Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning. But Hugely popular games like Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition...I just can't get past the first chapter without getting bored to death or really annoyed by something.

And I have finally discovered what the annoyance is while playing ME-A. It is a mindless over reliance on irrelevant "Fetch it" tasks that completely distract from the priority missions. When they tie in to an important part of the story/game, I'm okay with them (like Legend of Zelda). But when they just lazily ask me to do things like..."hey Pathfinder, can you stop by Vortex and fetch me a cold beer"? I get totally angry. And when it hits a certain unknown threshold...I turn it off and toss it into the never play again pile.

ME-A has not hit that threshold yet. But it got close a few times. Even though I like the game...and am now totally committed to finishing it. Replay though?...highly unlikely!
post #1604 of 1994 Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@barrelbelly ,

Yep, I hear ya on those kinds of missions. It's just poor writting and missions so that the creator can say, "our game takes X hours to complete"

If it is a good game you should not have to brag about how long a game is, honestly, some of the best games are ones that don't really have an end.

Borderlands constantly has enemies spawning(granted this is more of a "farming" RPG where you are constantly trying to find better weapons and perks)

GTA Series has always been great as a playground to create trouble and just screw around.

I just don't pay attention to certain marketing material anymore for games.

The games I am most excited for right now are Anthem and Destiny 2 but we will see. I am too used to games over promising and under delivering when it comes to graphics(Anthem).

Destiny 2 looks good but I never played the original but after playing Borderlands I wonder how I will like Destiny compared to it. My buddy loved the first one and he is getting hte second for PS4 despite me trying to get him to get it for PC(his computer is a beast). He just does not want to lose his hero by switching platforms.

post #1605 of 1994 Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Destiny has a lot of MMO tasks like having to gain rep to buy from a vendor. Really unnerving things like that. It can be fun, then it turns into a painful job. This is supposed to be fun, not a job. These are the things that make me eventually quit every MMO I take up.
post #1606 of 1994 Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Bass Enabler

Yup.

I buy games to have fun and enjoy myself. Not create more work to do in order to start having fun.

MMO's suck aise.
post #1607 of 1994 Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone tried Dropzone yet?

I like it but I suck.

post #1608 of 1994 Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice today. Been interested in that game and the price for a brand new game is just right ($29.99) The audio with headphones is just outstanding with it. Graphics are very good as well.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41...uas_Sacrifice/

Images of in game shots are here:
http://imgur.com/a/PCRWQ
DaGamePimp and barrelbelly like this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 08-09-2017 at 12:18 AM.
post #1609 of 1994 Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
About hellblade, I can't understand the intro speech of the first video on steam.
The octave of the narrator is to low....
anyone else have this problem ???
post #1610 of 1994 Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
About hellblade, I can't understand the intro speech of the first video on steam.
The octave of the narrator is to low....
anyone else have this problem ???
Not for me. I know there is an option to turn on subtitles. I almost did, but I feel it would lessen the game play.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #1611 of 1994 Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The nostalgia is real! Been playing StarCraft Remastered this week when I have time and man, it's still such a great game. They did a fantastic job with the remaster, and imo priced it just right at $15.
post #1612 of 1994 Old 08-27-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished Mass Effect Andromeda a few nights ago. And I am unsure what I'm going to tackle next. It will probably be either Prey or Nier Automata. But back to ME-A...I liked the way the tension and combat ratcheted up at the end. And I liked the experience overall. But the game had a few serious issues for me in the final analysis. I won't address them all here. But Bioware needs to really step it up on this tremendous franchise with a major DLC installment around the Quarian Ark mystery. The overall story has to be strengthened and fixed from a character development and antagonist standpoint.

Seems like they are heading down an Advent Rising path with the Ryder siblings. It's already pretty clear to me that one of the Ryder Twins will go Dark Side evil in a future installment. How they integrate that with the repetitive & unthreatening Kett/Remnant duo will be very important IMO. In ME-T we had the Reaper threat. Maybe in ME-A the MW invasion will evolve and synthesize into an Andromeda version of a similar threat...where the MW bad Ryder with Sam, Kett Indoctrination and the Remnant AI become the Andromeda Reaper forerunners.

In conclusion...that final dustup with the Archon really weakened the antagonist character to me. It made the Archon's quest and strategy "small picture'awful! He chose to confront the Ryder protagonist as a Kett hybridized Architect that was weaker in every way than the 4 prior Architects Ryder had already subdued and defeated. I was left feeling that if Ryder hadn't killed the dumb idiot...the Kett should have. What different result was he or the writers looking for? The Reapers, Catalyst, Cerberus, Illustrative Man and other foes of the ME Trilogy were compelling and menacing adversaries. The Me-A baddies were linear, dopey dummies in comparison. I don't want to go all negative here...because I actually liked the game and potential of the story to grow in the future. I rate it a solid 7 on a 10 scale. But it easily should & could have been a 10. The love interests were so uninteresting that I just grabbed the Asari Raccoon in the end for a mercy tryst. And the writers miraculously converted that road stop to LOVE! LOL!

But not to worry. Casey Hudson and lead ME1-2 co writer Drew Karpyshyn are now back at Bioware to take back control of the ME franchise going forward. And I am confident that they will build off the good from ME-A and move the franchise down a fascinating dual track, sprawling saga with ME-T. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

https://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1637

Last edited by barrelbelly; 08-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
post #1613 of 1994 Old 08-27-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finished Mass Effect Andromeda a few nights ago. And I am unsure what I'm going to tackle next. It will probably be either Prey or Nier Automata. But back to ME-A...I liked the way the tension and combat ratcheted up at the end. And I liked the experience overall. But the game had a few serious issues for me in the final analysis. I won't address them all here. But Bioware needs to really step it up on this tremendous franchise with a major DLC installment around the Quarian Ark mystery. The overall story has to be strengthened and fixed from a character development and antagonist standpoint.

Seems like they are heading down an Advent Rising path with the Ryder siblings. It's already pretty clear to me that one of the Ryder Twins will go Dark Side evil in a future installment. How they integrate that with the repetitive & unthreatening Kett/Remnant duo will be very important IMO. In ME-T we had the Reaper threat. Maybe in ME-A the MW invasion will evolve and synthesize into an Andromeda version of a similar threat...where the MW bad Ryder with Sam, Kett Indoctrination and the Remnant AI become the Andromeda Reaper forerunners.

In conclusion...that final dustup with the Archon really weakened the antagonist character to me. It made the Archon's quest and strategy &quot;small picture'awful! He chose to confront the Ryder protagonist as a Kett hybridized Architect that was weaker in every way than the 4 prior Architects Ryder had already subdued and defeated. I was left feeling that if Ryder hadn't killed the dumb idiot...the Kett should have. What different result was he or the writers looking for? The Reapers, Catalyst, Cerberus, Illustrative Man and other foes of the ME Trilogy were compelling and menacing adversaries. The Me-A baddies were linear, dopey dummies in comparison. I don't want to go all negative here...because I actually liked the game and potential of the story to grow in the future. I rate it a solid 7 on a 10 scale. But it easily should & could have been a 10. The love interests were so uninteresting that I just grabbed the Asari Raccoon in the end for a mercy tryst. And the writers miraculously converted that road stop to LOVE! LOL!

But not to worry. Casey Hudson and lead ME1-2 co writer Drew Karpyshyn are now back at Bioware to take back control of the ME franchise going forward. And I am confident that they will build off the good from ME-A and move the franchise down a fascinating dual track, sprawling saga with ME-T. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

https://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1637
EA has flat out said "No single-player DLC, only MP updates" So they've given up on ME:A for now, and we probably won't see anything Mass Effect for a few years. I've pretty much just been playing StarCraft Remastered, and Arma 3 lately. Hoping to pick up my 1080ti this Thurs/Fri. Can't wait to be able to crank everything to max and just go, and still get 60+ fps.
barrelbelly likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
post #1614 of 1994 Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
For the next few days it will be Destiny 2 beta.

Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
YouTube Channel
Twitch
post #1615 of 1994 Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Marafice...you did play Prey, didn't you? If so what is good and bad about it IYO. Does it play even remotely like the 1st Prey? If you tried Nier Automata...I'd appreciate your pov on it too. Right now, Nier has a slight edge over Prey as my next one up. I thought about just starting DA-I all over again. But starting another long, laborious "fetch it" quest RPG is not very appealing after ME-A. I want to go for fast action and shooting this time. Deus Ex (from Human Revolution with DLC-Mankind Divided) and Rise of Tomb Raider are also big candidates. Now that I mentioned it. a non stop Deus Ex playthrough on PC sound very appealing!
post #1616 of 1994 Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Marafice...you did play Prey, didn't you? If so what is good and bad about it IYO. Does it play even remotely like the 1st Prey? If you tried Nier Automata...I'd appreciate your pov on it too. Right now, Nier has a slight edge over Prey as my next one up. I thought about just starting DA-I all over again. But starting another long, laborious &quot;fetch it&quot; quest RPG is not very appealing after ME-A. I want to go for fast action and shooting this time. Deus Ex (from Human Revolution with DLC-Mankind Divided) and Rise of Tomb Raider are also big candidates. Now that I mentioned it. a non stop Deus Ex playthrough on PC sound very appealing!
I really enjoyed Prey, but it's not perfect. It starts out fairly slow and semi difficult due to lack of weapons and powers. Depending on how you play though, you can keep the difficulty high, or you can just grab all the powers you can and make yourself essentially unstoppable. The world of the game is quite fun to explore, and the lore behind what happened, etc, is pretty interesting. I wouldn't say it's too similar to the first Prey, it's much slower in pacing and gameplay, but still very fun. Can't comment on Nier, haven't played it
barrelbelly likes this.

post #1617 of 1994 Old 08-31-2017, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The deed... It has been done...

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3 Hybrid has been ordered and will be here on Friday.

This is the expected performance jump when playing at 1440p, I personally cannot wait to be able to "set it and forget it" to max, and still be getting 60+ fps.

Last edited by Marafice Eye; 08-31-2017 at 08:32 AM.
post #1618 of 1994 Old 09-01-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I got it installed a few hours ago and have been benching game after game. VERY happy with the results. Basically any game I can completely max and get 60+ fps (as long as I don't go crazy on the AA). For example, I cranked everything to max in DX Mankind Divided, then put the AA at 8x... yeah... 15fps. No AA I was getting 70+. However, other games can have it all cranked with AA and still be above 60. GTA V for example, literally turned all options on and to max, including FXAA + 4x MSAA + Nvidia TXAA, and was still averaging 65-75 fps during the benchmarks. Forza Horizon 3 never dropped under 100fps maxed out so I have good hope for Forza 7. Gears 4 cranked to max didn't drop below 60 and averaged 70ish. And keep in mind this is all at 1440p, not 1080p. Watchdogs 2 was another one that didn't want to run COMPLETELY maxed at 60+. It was in the 30s to 40s, but I turned down the "Extra Detail" slider and managed to get a fairly solid 60. So yeah, overall, EXTREMELY happy with this as in most cases I can pretty much set it and forget it.
DaGamePimp and DaverJ like this.

post #1619 of 1994 Old 09-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There's almost always settings that you can turn down with practically no discernable difference in visual fidelity and a large increase in frame rates.
post #1620 of 1994 Old 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S. View Post
There's almost always stuff that you can turn down with practically no discernable difference in visual fidelity and a large increase in frame rates.
Yep, I'm just really happy to be able to set it and forget it in most cases. That's exactly what I was aiming for. And really, at 1440p I really don't need to push 8xAA lol. I mean if I can and still get over 60fps? I'll do it, but THAT is my first target when it comes to increasing frame rate.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Black Mesa , Batman Arkham Origins , Grand Theft Auto V , Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page