AVS Forum banner

PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]

99K views 2K replies 169 participants last post by  Yrd 
#1 ·
Got a PC game, old or new, you just started or finished and want to discuss? Post about it here.

Want to follow discussions about the PC games AVS Forum members are playing? Subscribe to this thread.

No rules* - hopefully hardware and configuration talk will be secondary to things like gameplay, graphics/sound, and controller support.

*actually one rule: don't ruin a game for others. If you think something might give away a plot point or puzzle solution, please tag with ["spoiler"] at the start and ["/spoiler"] at the end, without quotation marks.

#1,199 ·
Doom 2016 is fast and frantic, certainly a twitch shooter (just not as fast as some have been).

It's fun, after a couple hours of gameplay it's very repetitive with not much variance in the enemies (at least so far).

I know this type of game is expected to be repetitive so that's not a knock against it, that's just how it is. ;)

This was my genre of choice back in the day with Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament but I just do not have the same reflexes so I feel a bit less equipped to push the difficulty to the max (playing on default, Hurt Me Plenty).

The game has SLI issues but ID has said it is coming soon. I set mine to Alternate 1 and it is mostly stable at 4k/60 with SLI 980ti OC.

They need to fix the SLI, a few small bugs and... add an HD texture pack since some of the textures are fugly close up (I know I am not meant to pay attention to that while shooting and running for my life). :eek:

All-in-all it's a fun, shut your brain off at the door, game that brings back some very nostalgic vibes (and I dig that). :D

- Jason

#1,210 ·
Totally not thread appropriate, but I love how they turned out, and most of you know about my love of Star Wars... Did you know The Tie Fighter game redone on Steam? (There Thread appropriate now). The Tie Fighters Squad is the new piece. Sith Empire was done last August. Tie Fighters were done on Saturday night.

Attachments

#1,211 ·
Another OT but on that note here are my latest Star Wars contributions.

I guess they're making sure Vader can't make an entrance via the fireplace (either that or Krampus scared the heck out of my wife)... :rolleyes:

- Jason

#1,222 ·
I should have taken a pic myself. I got the R2 unit and me and wife bought the Yoda for a friends kids this past Christmas. I didn't think that thing would jump around as much as it does. I had it on a table and half to fire up the old reflexes to catch it before it was about to fly off the table. LOL. Now with all this "maker" craze I wonder if I can upgrade the R2 unit. Supposed to be some good tech in there but I always thought it could have done more with it.

#1,212 ·
I'm playing Darksiders 1 and 2 on Steam. And having a pure blast. I really wish I had a wide screen 34"-43" beauty that Arutha con doin keeps waxing lyrically about. But I'll be there on Black Friday! Back to Darksiders because I stumbled into something intriguing (for me that is). A whole new gaming experience, I hadn't tried before. And I absolutely LOVE IT!

I am playing both games side by side (from a sequential standpoint). I play 2-3 chapters of Darksiders 1. And instead of plowing through more chapters at the pitch of my excitement...I switch over an play 2-3 chapters of Darksiders 2. All I can say about doing it that way...WOW!. Both games have a similar look and feel (Gorgeous). And the play mechanics don't require a complete rethinking. It's just different enough that they actually enhance each other. And since the story line is not directly connected...I feel like I am playing as 2 completely different characters...somewhere else in the same game world...at the exact same time. Awesome! I hope the dev who bought the IP Makes another Darksiders.

Playing Darsiders 1&2 this way makes me realize just how stuck Developers are in their formulas of making in line sequels. Instead of fully exploiting great game worlds they have done. Just like on Planet Earth...a gazillion different stories/dramas/adventures are going on simultaneously. Sometimes they intersect. But more often than not they diverge. I would love to see more divergent story telling from the same world perspective (like I'm doing in Darksiders). I think there are a lot of top of mid IPs that could do this:
  1. Halo
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Deus Ex
  4. Bioshock
And the list could go on and on. I think Human Head Studios with Prey and the discontinued Prey 2 were really on to a new and exciting format before the floor got yanked from beneath them. I would have loved to play those 2 games that way (simultaneously in a unified experience). And I hope Developers of the future pick up the gauntlet with it. Because IMO it is the only way VR game worlds will thrive, grow and captivate people in the future.

In the mean time...I'll just enjoy my hybrid ways with Darksiders. I loved Darksiders 1 on Xbox 360. But I couldn't sustain interest in Darksiders 2. Ditto with any of the "Lost Planets". Now, on PC, I can't put either one of the Darksiders down. When I finish them both, I'll try this approach with Lost Planet...Halo 3, Halo Wars & ODST...Bioshock 2 & Bioshock Infinite.

#1,214 ·
#1,216 ·
Thanks, yeah I have the game pretty much maxed out other than Shadows are on Ultra instead of Nightmare and a few settings I do not like.

I don't like... motion blur, film grain, chromatic aberration so I turn those off (depending upon the game I will turn off Depth of Field as well, with games that are meant to look 'real-life' I use it otherwise it's off). ;)

Of course the Twitch stream is no where near what I am playing and I wanted to at least get the stream to 60fps (which still does not show how fast and smooth 120fps is) but it was about the best I could do while staying within Twitch's 3500 bitrate limit.

Of course I could always direct capture and post to YouTube but many people do that, I did not see a single person streaming ultrawide 120fps gameplay on Twitch. I guess when it comes down to it there is not much point but my stream looks better/smoother than many others (usually the partnered streamers use a lower bitrate to bring in mobile viewers as well because they are concerned with revenue).

Yep, controller, my KBM fps days are long behind me. :eek:

- Jason

#1,221 ·
I'm at the final boss... he's big. :eek:

- Jason

#1,223 ·
I'm still pigging out on Darksiders 1&2. It's my first playthrough on DS2. But I can't believe how much fun it is playing both games in alternate sequences this way. For you Halo fans out there. It is a much like Halo 2...where you got to play some chapters as Master Chief and some as Arbiter. Except much deeper and more absorbing.

I now realize why Halo2 is my very favorite Halo game...by a long stretch. Bungie and Microsoft may have blown it by not going full bore with that style of play. Heck...IMO they should have actually launched 2 completely different side by side games of each subsequent edition of Halo. One from a Human perspective and the other from Covenant view. In fact the studio would be wise IMO to develop a completely new mirror image series of Halo Covenant games from the Covenant viewpoint...that covers the period from Halo Reach-Halo 4. Make that full package available for Windows 10/PC along with Halo MCC and I would buy & play that entire series side by side in a heart beat. Because the change of pace is so much more interesting, dramatic, so much fun and so immersive. It would be epic IMO. Because they could build some really interesting bridge chapters inside of the Covenant collection.

I am now so engaged in this way of playing, that I am actively scouring my libraries and game sites for other potential synergistic side by side games.

#1,225 ·
Finished Uncharted 4 (One of the best console games I have ever played I might add) the other night. I should now be able to focus on getting done wit Doom. Doom has been a blast (pun intended) to play as well!

#1,226 ·
Man - last night I thought the Seek and Destroy Rune Challenge in Doom was going to be near-impossible for me. I'm only on Hurt Me Plenty, but getting a single death-from-above within the time limit or without dying is tricky, adding a second is a challenge, but THREE? :eek: Plus limited ammo and the small fighting area didn't help, either.

But... finally nailed it, and the reward - glory-kills at a distance - is sweet. I like the fact that I can play Doom for a half-hour to 45minutes and feel like I got some good gaming time in. :cool:

#1,230 ·
I've been engrossed with GTA5. Finally started that.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to make money outside of the few heists I've been in so far. I'm still early on in the story, I believe. Franklin is almost broke and I'm trying to find ways to get him more money. I guess I'm going to have to go on a mugging spree. Cab driving, got me a couple bucks, but that's too time consuming.

Also, is there a way to switch the car they have as your personal vehicle? Michael is stuck with this POS ford focus or something. I keep putting cars in his driveway but they don't save unless they are in the garage. Franklin, though, seems like any vehicles on the driveway get saved.

#1,231 ·
I'm finally playing Test Drive Unlimited again!

It wouldn't run under Windows 8.1 for some reason before. Every time I tried it would hang at the disc check. I decided to give it one more go and now it does run. Maybe a Windows update changed something.

What a fun game. I'm going for 100% completion this time, all golds and perfect challenges. I was doing a long car delivery and was about 100 ft from the end when I noticed I had somehow lost $4. Not good enough - I went off the road, let the driving meter drain, and restarted.

I want to own every car and cycle, every house, every upgrade, and every piece of clothing.

#1,234 ·
Well Doom had been nearly flawless for me up until last night.
I had fallen through the map one time but now it just starts the final level and then CTD within a minute or two (I was trying to finish the game but it won't let me).
I have not changed any settings, drivers, no new software, nothing (no win10 updates).
Guess I'll wait for the first patch and try again.

- Jason

#1,235 · (Edited)
I had fallen through the map one time but now it just starts the final level and then CTD within a minute or two
I've been getting lots of crashes too, but things have been fine after each restart. I assumed it was running it in forced SLI mode...?

The game is so fun I don't mind. Hoping for a patch soon for stability -- gotta love PC gaming. :eek:

EDIT - right after typing that, just got an 82.3meg update..?