• 1 Post By HeadRusch

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Angry Ouch! Prey 2 Cancelled

Bummer! No Prey 2. I defy anyone who loves games to watch this trailer in Full Screen mode and not want to play this game. I sure as hail do! It looked like a spectacular single player experience.

http://www.newsledge.com/prey-2-officially-10782

But Know What? After carefully reading this again, along with other articles on the subject. Including between the lines. I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda had Arkane Studios completely improve and repackage this game as a totally new and different Next Gen IP. Not Prey 2. But something entirely different. Because it absolutely doesn't have the look and feel of Prey 1. But it could be a great new franchise if done right. Such as adding multiplayer, Co-op, and SP team building options similar to Mass Effect. Killian Samuels-Galactic Bounty Hunter does have huge appeal to me in a Riddick/Blade Runner/Shepard sort of way. Bethesda parsed their words very carefully around this cancellation. Leaving open a lot of possibilities.

I bet if they actually ever do a Prey 2 (sequel) in the future; it will be a continuation of the Tommy storyline in VR. Which could be a mind bending experience. Heck! I hope they just update and redo Prey 1 as a real VR PC game, as part of the Oculus Rift launch. That would be awesome IMO. And a day 1 OR game purchase. That game visualized VR before it existed. So it was way ahead of the curve.

Bottom line...I think Bethesda may have done us all a favor by scuttling the Killian Samuels installment as Prey 2. Because it is not a natural looking/feeling successor to Prey IMO. It took away the Native American perspective that was just too important to the story arc to me. But it left Bethesda with better continuation options if they choose to exercise them.

I sure hope this is not the final word on Prey or Killian Samuels-Bounty Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I played the first, and it was ok. All I really remember about the game is portals and spirit birds. I also remember a friend watching me play it, and asked "What the hell is this?" To which I replied "Happy hunting ground," and he looked at me like I was nuts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
The original Prey was far from a masterpiece, but it was fairly enjoyable nonetheless. At the time F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 were FPS games that got much more attention from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Let the FLAMES BEGIN!

Prey Sucked. Prey was like a steaming pile of FPS cliche'...it's almost like the developers said "Oh my god we are so sick of working on this game for 10 years and nobody knowing what the hell it's supposed to be about, let's just make the best BAD game we possibly can!". The thought of a bunch of guys trying to top that steaming pile of "meh" with something with a "2" after it.....#2 would be correct in many ways.

The politically-incorrect humor of Lo Wang and Duke Nukem, in a game where you watch kids getting torn apart by alien ghosts and your family gets gutted before your eyes. These horror-inducing aliens that are dismembering families in front of you? They're head-banging neanderthals listening to Judas Priest, man!! Kill em, Dude!! Throw some Tonto-worthy one liners at em, Chief, you're native american man....make a lot of whiskey jokes!!! =[

Weapons? Oh buddy we got them...four or five of them anyways.....they're all made of intestines and none of them are much fun to use! Hey, did I say intestines? You remember how much you loved all those Sewer levels back in the mid 1990's? Well we made an entire game of sewers! What could be more awesome than fighting inside an enormous space Colon! And on and on and......I guess you really, really had to want to play this game...but it was such an anachronism :P

Not fun to play....I think the only game I enjoyed less was Quake 4, which isn't saying much.

Ooooph that felt good.

And yes, IMHO...all IMHO, completely. Your mileage may vary.

(Truth be told after writing all this....I'm tempted to dig out my used 360 copy somewhere and actually play through the entire game, probably wind up going "it still sucks, but it's alright")
Scott Simonian likes this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
I knew this thread would pull @HeadRusch out of lurker mode!
barrelbelly likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I knew this thread would pull @HeadRusch out of lurker mode!
I'm going to dig this out and burn through it in like a couple of week nights and wind up coming back to this thread going "you know, when taken in context, its a lot of fun! I'm so sick of these modern combat games, it's NICE to shoot at bloated space rats with Spirit Arrows!" and shame myself.......

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Not fun to play....I think the only game I enjoyed less was Quake 4, which isn't saying much.
I thought Quake 4 was a very good old school style shooter with excellent weapons. It was a quality production all-around, and one of few games to really make great use of EAX 5's high quality occlusion and large number of voices.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
I thought Quake 4 was a very good old school style shooter with excellent weapons. It was a quality production all-around, and one of few games to really make great use of EAX 5's high quality occlusion and large number of voices.
I thought the production quality was high, but the game wasn't fun for me. The weapons felt sufficiently weak, as they always do in ID games, and the enemies were very detailed and glossy and stuff, but they weren't any fun to shoot. As I progressed more in the game I kept feeling like I was just going through the motions. I think the grenade launcher in Quake 4 was old school, wasn't it? It shot a grenade like 10 feet away...like you could THROW a grenade further....I remember my guy being turned into one of those robo guys, and you could start to use the control terminals but again, like Bioshock 2, I was supposed to be having fun because it was a big-dollar game..........but I just wasn't having fun.

I remember getting into the "vehicle part" where I was in a tank, or in some APV..probably both......and it was just..."move forward, shoot, move forward"...there was no room to maneuver because these were still limited corridor-shooters....expectations were high on Quake 4 you recall....Maybe I'd reached my limit of fun that could be had from Old-School style shooters like that, where the enemies barely react to being hit and the guns take 500 shots to bring down a bad guy, etc.

............but it was no Prey

I should say these games for me had a "look and feel" issue....like the highly detailed models of the enemies didn't react well to being shot or something, there just wasn't any weight, any visceral feeling of bringing down a bad guy in these games...like I was spending the entire game lobbing hands of popcorn at bad guys until they collapsed in a pre-rendered death animation or something..
Scott Simonian likes this.

Last edited by HeadRusch; 11-01-2014 at 10:17 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I'm going to dig this out and burn through it in like a couple of week nights and wind up coming back to this thread going "you know, when taken in context, its a lot of fun! I'm so sick of these modern combat games, it's NICE to shoot at bloated space rats with Spirit Arrows!" and shame myself.......

C'mon...be honest here. You really want to get to that part you've heard about, but didn't indulge. I'm talking specifically where Tommy was fighting those weird 4 legged beasties springing out of the huge space ship vaginas! Even I concede that part was over the top weird. But awesome too. After all...the end Boss' name was "Mother". Your sewer was others..... Just saying Rush No flames here. Just fun. But non the less...That new game looked awesome to me. And a Prey 1 redux in VR would be a mind twisting trip IMHO. But you gotta tell us really what you think after finishing this Tit twister the second time around.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM

I never got to the part with the giant space vaginas, although fighting through the giant space colon ship....I should have anticipated. :P
barrelbelly likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page