Originally Posted by barrelbelly
I was thinking more from a PC standpoint BD. A Windows 10 PC will have a range of hardware that is very different from a Xbox One. If those Xbox games are going to be playable on the PC, wouldn't the PC hardware have to be reconfigured by the OS to work with the Xbox Games. I assume everything Xbox on Windows 10 PC will be DD only. Because many PCs don't even use Blu-Ray drives, like XB1 for example. I'm likely over or under thinking a process that is really simple in this convergence. I know both platforms use the same basic OS. But I thought there were slight and significant differences with the Xbox Version of Windows 10. I don't know how they open this up to the myriad of Windows 10 PC hardware profiles, without just booting out the Native version of Windows 10. And booting up a new specialized Xbox 1 configuration of Windows 10 under a completely proprietary User Profile. One that can only be accessed with the proprietary XB1 Thumb drive. I guess they could do this on a DD basis too by simply creating a licensed XB One User Profile on a Windows 10 PC. Something akin to a Platinum level XB Live annual fee. That would allow MS to remotely configure your PC hardware to generate & optimize the XB1 profile to all Windows 10 devices. And the user decide which one to enter at startup.
So the way it works is that there's the "core" of windows and each device family has specific API extensions it could access on top of that. Kind of like how the xbox is basically a standard PC with a few little bits of custom hardware on top of it. The custom parts are accessed through that device specific layer, but most of it should be handled automatically.
So when they're writing a game, anything that doesn't deal specifically with something xbox is going to run just fine. But when the game tries to mix sound, it'll just call the PlaySound() function or whatever in directX, and that'll be handled through the accelerators on the xbox or in software on PC...again, same code, but now it's taking advantage of the xbox's special hardware automatically. If they want to go in and optimize the code specifically for the xbox, then they can say If xbox do it this way, everywhere else do it the standard way.
From the OS standpoint there's almost total convergence. Like when they're programming the xbox live APIs or whatever, it's the exact same code. Doing it for xbox means it's already done for PC. So it actually makes devs lives considerably easier. Building the PC version gets them 95% there, the other 5% is just tuning for the xbox specific hardware. There's no need to take every configuration into account, just the universal way and a few special consideration for the xbox. It even gets them most of the way there for a mobile version and hololens version too.
So there's no need for different versions of the OS. It's the same OS with slight differences at the margins. Like right now, Win 10 has PC mode and tablet mode. It just changes the way stuff is displayed to make it easier to use with touchscreens. The start screen is full screen, apps are default full screen, buttons get bigger and wider spaced, etc. Surely the xbox one will have a special version of the UI that's best used with a controller, but it's still the same idea. It'd be like a "TV mode" version of the UI. It's what their continuum concept is all about - the UI morphs to fit the display and input. In the same way you can hook a phone up to a monitor/mouse/keyboard and use it like a desktop, you should be able to hook a PC (or a phone) up to a TV, grab a controller, and use it like an xbox. Or even hook your xbox up to a monitor/mouse/keyboard and use it as a PC, because that's how flexible the platform can be.
It's crazy impressive how far they've taken the platform convergence. Their vision is that it shouldn't matter what hardware you're running, a windows device is a windows device and windows is windows.