5.1 PCM Surround Sound in games - front left and front right channel not working - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question 5.1 PCM Surround Sound in games - front left and front right channel not working

First, my setup:

OS: Windows 10 Professional x64 build; Nvidia drivers up to date; Onkyo Firmware up to date
NVidia Gtx 670 -connected via HDMI to > Onkyo Tx Nr 808 (PC HDMI Input)
NVidia Gtx 670 -connected via DVI to > Samsung Monitor
Onkyo Tx Nr 808 (HDMI Out Main) -connected via HDMI to > Panasonic Pt 6000 (Input 1)
5 Speakers and 1 Subwoofer connected via cable to the Onkyo

My problem is:

The front left speaker as well as the front right speaker do not emit any sound if i click on "Test" in the speakers configruation window on my desktop pc. Those two speakers remain silent. All other speakers (Rear Left and Rear Right as well as the Center and the subwoofer) do work in the PCM test. I tried the same scenario with my laptop with a Nvidia Gtx 630m resulting in the same behaviour. So i think the problem is not on the PC sided end, maybe?

My question is:
How do i get all speakers that are connected to the Onkyo Tx Nr 808 to work properly in the windows sound options in 5.1? Obviously 5.1 isn't working correctly in games because the sound that should be emitted via the 2 front speakers doesn't get "played".

The speakers do all work fine in movies and are connected like described on page 14 of the manual. I checked the cable input connection 2 times, they are wired up correctly and do emit the "white noise" sound during the Audessey calibration setup correctly.

Just for a reference, the speakers are connect to:
Description on the AV/R:
Center
Front Right Speaker
Front Left Speaker
Surround Right Speaker
Surround Left Speaker

If you need any other information, i'll provide it. Unfortunately, i'm not allowed to post a link to the manual according to the forum rules due to my post count being lower than 5.

I tried a lot of different options and i'm running out of ideas... I read something about an "EDID Problem" but i have no idea what this in particulary means or if this is relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound_settings.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1438370   Click image for larger version

Name:	supported_formats.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1438378   Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker_configuration.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1438386  

Last edited by Isias; 05-14-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Have you tried a new HDMI cable to make sure it isn't a faulty cable between the received and the PC?

Also temporarily try connecting to your motherboard's HDMI port if it has one to see if it does the same thing from that HDMI port.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi ilal2ielli and thank you for your reply.

I tried 2 different HDMI 1.4a cables now, resulting in the same behaviour. My motherboard, an Asus P8P67 DELUXE, doesn't have a HDMI port itself. Since i tried another HDMI port via the laptops Nvidia Gtx 630M and the problem was replicated (Front Left and Front Right not working) it looks like the HDMI port of the Nvidia 670 is ok.

/Edit

Nevermind, it was an AV/R sided problem, maybe the EDID problem. I switched the amplifiers and my Onkyo TX Nr 646 does handle the job well, while the 808 went into the living room now.

Problem can be seen as "solved".

Last edited by Isias; 05-15-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since your movies work in all channels, it looks like the audio for those is passed through to the receiver.

Methinks you have a config issue in Windows. Look into your codec pack's settings, maybe even reset the codec settings back to default or try another pack.
I use CCCPack (Combined Community Codec Pack) and I go into the Audio Codec settings to enable Passthough for the formats supported by my AVR. The main settings page is where I enable mixing to 7.1 channels.

I doubt that you use that codec pack, and I just threw out a few examples from my config, but my point is that I believe your issue may lie in the codecs and their config.

You can get CCCPack or VLC easiest through ninite.com

Just noticed your edit. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
game , nvidia gtx 670 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , pcm , Surround Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page