Full custom loop water cooled PC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Full custom loop water cooled PC

I've had the itch for a while to start a brand new PC with a custom loop. I've never done water cooling, I know the dangers. Now I don't keep up on trends and stuff like that, newest hardware and components. I read one website that will do some reviews and list upcoming tech, but I don't read in depth about very much.

Anyway I'm posting here to seek some advice that anyone here might have. I have been scouting some parts for the cooling just to get an idea of the cost.

My first problem is the case to put it all in. Now I'm extremely partial to aluminum cases and 140mm fans, I have one now that has a couple holes for the water cooling tubes, though I have no idea what use they pose for a build. Every water cooled PC I see has everything inside the case. I had to take out the HD cage to fit my 980ti that's in there now on my current system. I bought a cage that fits in the 5.25" bays. If I were to buy one of the current GPUs I could put that thing back in.

Anyway the advice I'm looking for is the actual components. If you guys were to build a new PC, would you wait for the next generation intel? One issue with water cooling is getting the waterblocks to fit your hardware. I am of the mindset of waiting for the next generation of CPU and GPU both, which means waiting on waterblocks for both of those parts.

I wish I could get all my stuff from newegg, but they are very light on actual water cooling hardware. Instead I have to use stuff like Frozencpu, which seems like they haven't updated their website since geocities.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 07-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I've had the itch for a while to start a brand new PC with a custom loop. I've never done water cooling, I know the dangers. Now I don't keep up on trends and stuff like that, newest hardware and components. I read one website that will do some reviews and list upcoming tech, but I don't read in depth about very much.

Anyway I'm posting here to seek some advice that anyone here might have. I have been scouting some parts for the cooling just to get an idea of the cost.

My first problem is the case to put it all in. Now I'm extremely partial to aluminum cases and 140mm fans, I have one now that has a couple holes for the water cooling tubes, though I have no idea what use they pose for a build. Every water cooled PC I see has everything inside the case. I had to take out the HD cage to fit my 980ti that's in there now on my current system. I bought a cage that fits in the 5.25" bays. If I were to buy one of the current GPUs I could put that thing back in.

Anyway the advice I'm looking for is the actual components. If you guys were to build a new PC, would you wait for the next generation intel? One issue with water cooling is getting the waterblocks to fit your hardware. I am of the mindset of waiting for the next generation of CPU and GPU both, which means waiting on waterblocks for both of those parts.

I wish I could get all my stuff from newegg, but they are very light on actual water cooling hardware. Instead I have to use stuff like Frozencpu, which seems like they haven't updated their website since geocities.
I have always been interested in watercooling but haven't pulled that trigger yet. Here is a link to a youtube channel. He does a lot of custom watercooling and this is just one of the videos (he has 100's). May be worth a look.

Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
YouTube Channel
Twitch
post #3 of 49 Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Well, I've done tons of Water cooled rigs in the last 3-4 years, 6 for myself and about 30 for my buddys shop.

1. if it's your first build, don't use hard tubing. Start with soft, I usually go 3/8 ID 5/8 OD. It's much easier to work with for a beginner than rigid (and non beginners too lol)
2. Make sure what ever pump you buy, it's PWM. The pump/Res combos are very nice and EK makes some great ones. It doesn't really matter if you go D5 or DDC (Ive used lots of both, never had a pump fail, ever) with PWM, they won't be running full tilt and they shouldrun for years and years.
3. use only compression fittings (I use either bitspower or koolance) not barbs. The chances of leaking with CF is like so crazy small. about the same as a static spark shorting out your pc... so nill.
4. plan your loop, like literally take some pics of your hardware in the case, then draw your loop where you want everything to go on the pic. You will be able to visualize where things will go.
5. Get the biggest rad/rads you can fit in the case. A single 360-380 is enough for 1 cpu and 1 card but if you can do 420 etc, then go bigger.
6. Blocks, almost all blocks with work with every cpu as long as it's in the amd or intel family. They come with the different mounting plates for all of them.
7. GPU blocks, make sure you get a full coverage block, don't cheap out and get a half block that doesn't cool the VRM's. If you are buying the card, make sure it's from EVGA etc who has a warranty that is still valid even if the heatsink is taken off.
8. Make sure you make somewhere to access to fill and drain the loop. I like to use the small tattoo squirt bottles, then its super easy to fill everything up. as for the drain, find somewhere at the bottom of the loop for one. (I use a data vac and stick it in the hose for a 20 second loop empty lol)
9. It's honestly not hard at all. The risk of leaks is less than the crappy AIO's

As for cost, expect at least 100$ in fittings (always buy a few more than you will need) and $400-500 or so on the rest on a simple loop. Don't be cheap and buy crap. Get good quality name brand stuff. If the cost is too much, don't even bother.

To put this into context, my last big personal build was 3 x 420 and 1 x 360 rad, triple DDC pwm pumps, dual 980TIs, 5960x cpu, VRM mobo block and 1100$ in fittings lol. It goes quick when they are 25-35$ a pop and you need 40 of them (CDN money of course)lol

This was with my x99 Asus WS-E board and when that pile of crap crapped out for the 3rd time, I switched over to the MSI Xpower....Case is a Caselabs STH10.. This build hwas sold to a buddy and has been running 24/7 for the last year mining and doing 3D cad stuff. It';s never once been turned off lol

my current single 6850K, single 1080 WC loop cost me about 800$ total.
Tedd, Scott Simonian and emartins like this.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!

Last edited by N8DOGG; 07-05-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Well, I've done tons of Water cooled rigs in the last 3-4 years, 6 for myself and about 30 for my buddys shop.

1. if it's your first build, don't use hard tubing. Start with soft, I usually go 3/8 ID 5/8 OD. It's much easier to work with for a beginner than rigid (and non beginners too lol)
2. Make sure what ever pump you buy, it's PWM. The pump/Res combos are very nice and EK makes some great ones. It doesn't really matter if you go D5 or DDC (Ive used lots of both, never had a pump fail, ever) with PWM, they won't be running full tilt and they shouldrun for years and years.
3. use only compression fittings (I use either bitspower or koolance) not barbs. The chances of leaking with CF is like so crazy small. about the same as a static spark shorting out your pc... so nill.
4. plan your loop, like literally take some pics of your hardware in the case, then draw your loop where you want everything to go on the pic. You will be able to visualize where things will go.
5. Get the biggest rad/rads you can fit in the case. A single 360-380 is enough for 1 cpu and 1 card but if you can do 420 etc, then go bigger.
6. Blocks, almost all blocks with work with every cpu as long as it's in the amd or intel family. They come with the different mounting plates for all of them.
7. GPU blocks, make sure you get a full coverage block, don't cheap out and get a half block that doesn't cool the VRM's. If you are buying the card, make sure it's from EVGA etc who has a warranty that is still valid even if the heatsink is taken off.
8. Make sure you make somewhere to access to fill and drain the loop. I like to use the small tattoo squirt bottles, then its super easy to fill everything up. as for the drain, find somewhere at the bottom of the loop for one. (I use a data vac and stick it in the hose for a 20 second loop empty lol)
9. It's honestly not hard at all. The risk of leaks is less than the crappy AIO's

As for cost, expect at least 100$ in fittings (always buy a few more than you will need) and $400-500 or so on the rest on a simple loop. Don't be cheap and buy crap. Get good quality name brand stuff. If the cost is too much, don't even bother.

To put this into context, my last big personal build was 3 x 420 and 1 x 360 rad, triple DDC pwm pumps, dual 980TIs, 5960x cpu, VRM mobo block and 1100$ in fittings lol. It goes quick when they are 25-35$ a pop and you need 40 of them (CDN money of course)lol

This was with my x99 Asus WS-E board and when that pile of crap crapped out for the 3rd time, I switched over to the MSI Xpower....Case is a Caselabs STH10.. This build hwas sold to a buddy and has been running 24/7 for the last year mining and doing 3D cad stuff. It';s never once been turned off lol

my current single 6850K, single 1080 WC loop cost me about 800$ total.
Sweet rigs

Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
YouTube Channel
Twitch
post #5 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I also have a Caselabs case but I have an M8 which I got to try and keep as much of the water away from the motherboard. However, if you build it right then you should be fine.

A good case meant for water cooling goes a long way to make your life easier but is not necessary.

What I would start out with(which I did) is one of the EK water cooling kits. They are a great value and you are not sacrificing on quality.

I started out with the EKWB X360 Kit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2YM-0010-00027

However, the problem with that kit is the thickness of the radiator. There are not many cases that can support it.

I would recommend you go with the step down from that one:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits/performance-series

I would also agree that you should do soft tubing at first, it is easier to work with and easier to get a good seal.

On my first loop I made the mistake to not rinse my radiator and pump first and then had to drain and refil after only 6 weeks so make sure you rinse it with water and white vinegar and then flush it several times with distilled water.

If you want to talk more about it you can PM me here if you want to talk on the phone or you can get me on steam. Username is madbrayniak

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #6 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

P.S. the current EK Supremacy CPU waterblock fits both Intel and AMD.

post #7 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5123
Built my first custom loop water cooled PC last year with big help from @N8DOGG

It was a total success.

To add in with my own advice after doing a first time build:

1) use soft tubing - why waste so much time and effort when you probably don't know what you're doing anyway? save for a later build...
1a) buy a tube cutter right away, do not try and use scissors like I did

2) prepare for 1/4 of your total budget to be spent on fittings.
2a) be prepared to order more after the fact

3) radiators are best with more surface area, not depth. go with a "slim" model radiator when possible. more surface area and more fans are better than less surface area and a deeper radiator

4) keep it simple

5) don't forget to make part of the loop have a drain at the bottom and possibly an opening for air. really helps draining.

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 07-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #8 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5123
Btw, I chose my case for various reasons but being made for water cooling and roomy-as-f*** was the main reason

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00002563

post #9 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I think what I'll do is start ordering the cooling parts now and then decide later on what type of hardware I'm going to get. Fittings and tubes won't care what type of hardware they cool.

Soft tubing was the plan.

Here's another thought after reading your posts and thinking of my current case. I said before I couldn't see a use for those tube holes in the case but thinking of my case, it's a little old at this point so it's not as accommodating as the newer cases. It has a single 140mm fan mount on the top. I would like to use 140mm rads. I can't remember if it has a single or double 140mm front intake.

But anyway, my thought was I could route the tubing out and use a radiator outside the case maybe. I'll take a good look at it when I get back home, probably not until next month.

If I'm water cooling everything, do you still need fans running intake and outtake for the other components?

I might have to buy a new case, but I just can't find one that I like. The search is endless for me.
post #10 of 49 Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I always thought caselabs cases were very dull looking. But, looking again, I'm guessing they are very utilitarian in design. After looking through the list of cases, I think I might get a merlin sm8. It can do 140mm fans like I want, and it's aluminum, but man are they pricey. Are they durable enough to last years? I don't mind spending money on a good case that will last me a while.

I'm about ready to get a new office chair too, the good ones cost a small fortune, but you can't skimp when you spend as much time as I do, or did in it. Steelcase leap chair is what I have, bought off ebay about 15 years ago and it's just now having an issue with the fabric. Got that thing for half off because it turned out it was stolen. Cost about $1000 new.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #11 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Caselabs are tanks.

Beware though, there has been things turning around recently and there is a pretty good wait time currently to get a case. They are getting it under control but I wouldn't be surprised if the wait time is still 6-8 weeks.

They have a dedicated forum on overclock.net.

Like I said before, I have the M8 which is now discontinued but I love it. I can fit 2 60mm thick rads no problem on the the PSU side of the case and then I think I will put 2 slimmer rads on the mobo side in the future.

They are made to be modular, mod friendly, and utilitarian. If you want something that is a little more "flashy" then I would look at Hexgear. I really like their R40 design. THey are a minimalist case design but designed to be watercooled as well. If I was starting over today I would probably go with one of their cases.

The grommets on your case are for external rads and watercooling parts. nothing wrong with going that route if you never move your computer.

post #12 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been looking over their cases and there is just no easy way to figure out what has thee ability to hold 140mm fans. The Merlin can but then I see the magnum you can buy a mount to use one but doesn't appear to have any standard 140 mounts. Maybe I'll try and chat with them, they can tell me more easily than it is for me to try and search it out.
post #13 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not a caselabs fan. Their support is craptastic (mine came damaged and took them 11 weeks to send me replacement pieces) their cases are WAY overpriced and if you want to add things like rads etc, you have to buy the mounts for them. The cases come barebones and you end up adding at least a few hundred to the cost to get everything setup. My STH10 was good but after it was all said and done, it was 890$ US just for the case and the extra stuff to hold everything..... at the time out dollar was par with the US.
If you follow the business at all, they have had some huge issues in the past year or 2. People waiting 6 months to get a case, the powercoat being awful etc. It's a real crapshow over there.

My current case is a Be Quite 900 pro. Its a very nice case but not really idea for big rads. When I do a threadripper build, I'm going to use either this : https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16811133338
or If I can find a way to make it work under my desk, this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1GP2GZ
I've built with both and they are awesome for the price! I was super happy with both.

post #14 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I really like the newer zoned cases where psu and hdd cages are separate from mb. That's what I'd like, but aluminum and 140mm compatible. I think noctua makes some 140mm that can mount on 120mm holes, so if push comes to shove I might compromise.
post #15 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really like the newer zoned cases where psu and hdd cages are separate from mb. That's what I'd like, but aluminum and 140mm compatible. I think noctua makes some 140mm that can mount on 120mm holes, so if push comes to shove I might compromise.
Yup, me too. The bast part about the X5 is, with the rad in front, it's completely covered. Looks super nice and I love the fact the mobo lays flat and GPU no longer strains the pcie slot with the big gpu block.
What cases are you looking at that aren't 140mm compatible? I can't say I've ever seen a water cooling case that isn't.

post #16 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

That's the problem, I don't have any serious contenders.

Maybe the lian-li 600d. That Merlin caselabs case might do.

It's an ongoing search that I don't commit too much time to, because nothing ever strikes my fancy.

My one factor that I won't compromise, is aluminum. Makes it a pain to find a case then.
post #17 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the problem, I don't have any serious contenders.

Maybe the lian-li 600d. That Merlin caselabs case might do.

It's an ongoing search that I don't commit too much time to, because nothing ever strikes my fancy.

My one factor that I won't compromise, is aluminum. Makes it a pain to find a case then.
Why aluminum? my SHT aluminum case was 78lbs with the stuff inside... my old Corsaid 900D was only 8 lbs heavier with the same stuff in there.

post #18 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I just like the material, ever since I started getting aluminum cases. I got one steel case after and never liked it completely, because of the material.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #19 of 49 Old 07-07-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is very nice to work with but I've worked with a lot of cases, a good quality steel case is as good as aluminum... But we all have our preferences. Im sure you will find something you like!

post #20 of 49 Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would still say you should take a look at the Hexgear R40 or R80.

Caselabs has had some issues the last few years since Kevin left to start his own company but he is back again and things are getting under control and are starting to run better now.

Phanteks makes some great cases with steel frames and aluminum body panels.

For affordable cases you can look at InWin 303 or 909.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my Caselabs M8 to get a Hexgear R80

Edit: Inwin 909 is not really affordable, just looked up the price, but it's still a nice case.

Last edited by Kimeran; 07-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #21 of 49 Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Caselabs has had some issues the last few years since Kevin left to start his own company but he is back again and things are getting under control and are starting to run better now.

Edit: Inwin 909 is not really affordable, just looked up the price, but it's still a nice case.
I looked at them when you first mentioned it. Not sure it's right for me.

I don't mind paying a bit for a case if it will last and has everything I'm looking for.

Is there something you don't like about your m8 that makes you want to sell?

Last edited by Yrd; 07-10-2017 at 09:15 PM.
post #22 of 49 Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

the hexgear 80 is such a nice case but that inwin 909 is beyond nice! it sucks they are 699$ CDN though! lol

post #23 of 49 Old 07-11-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked at them when you first mentioned it. Not sure it's right for me.

I don't mind paying a bit for a case if it will last and has everything I'm looking for.

Is there something you don't like about your m8 that makes you want to sell?
Yea, I only keep suggesting them because I like them so much. There are so many options out there though that you can find something you like better.

The problem with the M8 is actually a problem with my living situation, not the PC case. When I bought it I lived in a 2,300 sqft house. Now, I live in 960sqft and going to a single wide case would be nice.

post #24 of 49 Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Yrd

Just so you know, a really great forum to go on and read about PC water cooling is overclock.net

I visit that site regularly and also use it as a source of inspiration for how I want to take my PC setup.

post #25 of 49 Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been trying to find as many companies and stores to sort through all their options. Trying to decide on colors for fittings and all that. I think I like copper, like this build is using on the motherboard area.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/bbbb-t...l-by-cpachris/

I haven't seen this cpu block anywhere else, I believe those with copper rings are bitspower. Can anyone identify that cpu block?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #26 of 49 Old 07-15-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been trying to find as many companies and stores to sort through all their options. Trying to decide on colors for fittings and all that. I think I like copper, like this build is using on the motherboard area.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/bbbb-t...l-by-cpachris/

I haven't seen this cpu block anywhere else, I believe those with copper rings are bitspower. Can anyone identify that cpu block?
MIPS Iceforce HF is the block. http://www.xtremerigs.net/2012/11/12/mips-iceforce-hf/

We used on on a customers rig before. They were well built, although I'm not a fan of how they look.

Heres the build thread : http://www.overclock.net/t/1266202/b...x-aka-the-bbbb

post #27 of 49 Old 07-15-2017, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the idea I have in my head is either copper or gold colored hardware and that's the only block I've seen so far that has that much copper surface showing.

It seems hard to find fittings with those colors too, at least in the stores I know about.

Everything sold, and the builds I see, are mostly black, red, white, green or blue. I'm so sick of red and black.

I saw a really nice build using silver pipes.
post #28 of 49 Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Took forever to sift through that guy's build and find the cpu block. Turns out it was a custom thing. He spent an unbelievable fortune on that thing. It's pretty old at this point, but the equipment he has in there, 16 ssd alone cost him $6300, according to someone in that thread. He had custom powder coating being done, copper plating screws.

I'd like to know what his final cost was, I don't think he listed it anywhere. He was spending like crazy.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #29 of 49 Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Took forever to sift through that guy's build and find the cpu block. Turns out it was a custom thing. He spent an unbelievable fortune on that thing. It's pretty old at this point, but the equipment he has in there, 16 ssd alone cost him $6300, according to someone in that thread. He had custom powder coating being done, copper plating screws.

I'd like to know what his final cost was, I don't think he listed it anywhere. He was spending like crazy.

It was 16K total If I remember right. He had 2K in fittings alone.... I recently bought some more fittings to change my loop a bit and it was $430 more than the 400$ I already got in there... lol man they suck.

post #30 of 49 Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The cost of fittings is what keeps me away form going to hard lines. If I ever make that move I am going to have to get a heat gun and just bend my tubing.

I also like the copper accents on a computer but what I am doing is an EX Supremacy with a copper block and a clear top and clear coolant.

Not 100% what you want, but atleast it's there.

I have also seen some builds where people have done copper hardlines that look amazing. I would hate to have to clean and polish it though.

Check out this CAD of a TH10A:

https://grabcad.com/library/water-co...elabs-magnum-1

It looks like it was designed around the idea of QDCs to slide the motherboard tray out the back with ease. This is something that I want to do with my build for easier servicing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page