Xbox One X may go back for 4K PC build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 87 Old 11-30-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
4K 60 with maxed settings is a thing of beauty. No console will ever come close, sorry...

I am actually pretty surprised my now old 1080, although overclocked, can max out Wolfenstein 2 at 4K at pretty damn close to 60 frames.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I think you, the OP and owneroflg may be overlooking the point a bit. PC and console gaming are two totally different animals...driven by different needs and expectations. For example: PC gaming is literally a "no compromise" war between hardware and software developers...that gamers enjoy being squarely in the middle of. The war is waged on the grounds of hardware devs overpowering the software...and software devs overpowering the capacity of the hw. The gamer gets to mass optimize, tweak and perfect the games and hw to his own satisfaction. Gamers know that obsolescence, patience, price drops and time are actually their best friends in that war. And they know how to time purchases between cycle changes to their advantage.

Console gaming is a pre negotiated, mass market compromise between game developers and hardware developers to mass customize a standardized package of tools to enjoy & experience breathtaking games in a mass social environment. The widest range of gamers win in their compromise because pricing/cost is mass customized within their gaming model based upon a unified architecture & ecosystem. In other words cheaper than PC doesn't translate to inferior console experiences because a completely different set of preferences are being addressed. I personally love to game on both platforms. Console...because I can set and forget...and the compromises are good enough...so that the difference doesn't really make a difference to me. On the other side...when I want nosebleed level performance from the widest assortment of software...PC gamin is by far, my huckleberry. With the excellence of today's UHD displays, I actually track about 60% PC to 40% console gaming. And I enjoy both platforms...with genre preferences in each.
The funny thing is, I agree with everything you said so I'm not sure exactly what point I missed. I'm probably a 60/40 split like you between PC and console. Both are great in their own way.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #33 of 87 Old 11-30-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graff Vynda-K View Post
The funny thing is, I agree with everything you said so I'm not sure exactly what point I missed. I'm probably a 60/40 split like you between PC and console. Both are great in their own way.
"anyone who promotes PC gaming as a way to save money as compared to console gaming must have unbelievable self-control."

I concede your point. I was actually only referring to the one point you made above...probably in jest. Whenever I make a purchase in the PC domain...I rarely feel the need to grab the biggest & best of next gen parts like GPU/CPU etc. No so with consoles. I always wait until the experience curve on PC games, HW, drivers, bugs and glitches have been optimized on the current gen...and the devs have fire in their pants to move on to new money (Vega, Volta etc). Then I swoop in and upgrade very inexpensively (relatively speaking) with top shelf parts that are being heavily discounted out. That usually keeps me way ahead of the developers and my satisfaction expectations (especially on price-value) in the PC space. And allows me to dabble with the future stuff...usually on my terms. Your satisfaction with the venerable 980 is a textbook example of what I'm saying. It can really knock down practically every game in Steam's library except VR. I'll be dumping my old Radeon AMD 7870 Cross fire setup the same way...for a discounted RX580 or Vega 56 for the same reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I think you, the OP and owneroflg may be overlooking the point a bit. PC and console gaming are two totally different animals...driven by different needs and expectations. For example: PC gaming is literally a "no compromise" war between hardware and software developers...that gamers enjoy being squarely in the middle of. The war is waged on the grounds of hardware devs overpowering the software...and software devs overpowering the capacity of the hw. The gamer gets to mass optimize, tweak and perfect the games and hw to his own satisfaction. Gamers know that obsolescence, patience, price drops and time are actually their best friends in that war. And they know how to time purchases between cycle changes to their advantage.

Console gaming is a pre negotiated, mass market compromise between game developers and hardware developers to mass customize a standardized package of tools to enjoy & experience breathtaking games in a mass social environment. The widest range of gamers win in their compromise because pricing/cost is mass customized within their gaming model based upon a unified architecture & ecosystem. In other words cheaper than PC doesn't translate to inferior console experiences because a completely different set of preferences are being addressed. I personally love to game on both platforms. Console...because I can set and forget...and the compromises are good enough...so that the difference doesn't really make a difference to me. On the other side...when I want nosebleed level performance from the widest assortment of software...PC gamin is by far, my huckleberry. With the excellence of today's UHD displays, I actually track about 60% PC to 40% console gaming. And I enjoy both platforms...with genre preferences in each.
I played exclusive on pc for years, after buying my oled tv i bought ps 4 pro because i could not connect my pc to tv (other room) and wanted to play on it. To my surprise i didn't find the difference in games be that huge to pc (my pc has 6600k processor, 980ti gpu), so mostly now i just play with console...hell atleast it saves me from upgrading to 1080ti which was the plan before. Also i like that games work from the start with console, pc often has poor performance when then game is released...due to bad ports etc. It's a little different experience to play with 65inch oled than 27 inch monitor, that's my main reason for gaming with console now.

Last edited by OwnerOfLg; 11-30-2017 at 08:06 PM.
post #35 of 87 Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOfLg View Post
I played exclusive on pc for years, after buying my oled tv i bought ps 4 pro because i could not connect my pc to tv (other room) and wanted to play on it. To my surprise i didn't find the difference in games be that huge to pc (my pc has 6600k processor, 980ti gpu), so mostly now i just play with console...hell atleast it saves me from upgrading to 1080ti which was the plan before. Also i like that games work from the start with console, pc often has poor performance when then game is released...due to bad ports etc. It's a little different experience to play with 65inch oled than 27 inch monitor, that's my main reason for gaming with console now.
To each their own, I suppose. I will say this, though...I own a Nintendo Switch and it seems that almost every time I go and play it, there is a software update. So it's not like it's like the old cartridges of days gone by where it just worked and you plug it in - there are glitches and fixes for game problems even on the consoles today. Not to the extent of PC games, but it's still there.

As far as your main reason for playing on a console...I don't see how playing on a TV somehow hinders you from using a PC. I run my PC using a projector on a 21:9 138 inch screen with zero problems (Xbox 360 controller). Can't do that with a console...
M.L.S. likes this.
post #36 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
To each their own, I suppose. I will say this, though...I own a Nintendo Switch and it seems that almost every time I go and play it, there is a software update. So it's not like it's like the old cartridges of days gone by where it just worked and you plug it in - there are glitches and fixes for game problems even on the consoles today. Not to the extent of PC games, but it's still there.

As far as your main reason for playing on a console...I don't see how playing on a TV somehow hinders you from using a PC. I run my PC using a projector on a 21:9 138 inch screen with zero problems (Xbox 360 controller). Can't do that with a console...
My pc is located in other room than tv.
post #37 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I do it a bit differently, although only on PC. My Wasabi Mango 43" at 4K about 2 or 3 feet in front of me, is probably a larger relative image than my 55" LG OLED viewing from my couch in the family room.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #38 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Let’s get back on track guys. No debates for console vs PC, I already know PC is a step above. I’m really wondering what I can build as a first time PC builder that will give me either great 1080p resolution maxed out settings going to a 120hz TV. Orrrr a mid range budget 4K gaming build that can get most games at [email protected] I know getting a game like GTA V to run maxed 4K resolution would cost me about 2500$ since i would need the Titan X for that which is 1500$ alone.

Love my Xbox but will need a computer anyway so i figures why not build one that can do mostly gaming but also surf the web and Microsoft Office.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
post #39 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
I’m really wondering what I can build as a first time PC builder that will give me either great 1080p resolution maxed out settings going to a 120hz TV. Orrrr a mid range budget 4K gaming build that can get most games at [email protected]
On YouTube, search for the most recent videos from JERMgaming with the keyword "Potato Masher".
kyzer soze likes this.
post #40 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Let’s get back on track guys. No debates for console vs PC, I already know PC is a step above. I’m really wondering what I can build as a first time PC builder that will give me either great 1080p resolution maxed out settings going to a 120hz TV. Orrrr a mid range budget 4K gaming build that can get most games at [email protected] I know getting a game like GTA V to run maxed 4K resolution would cost me about 2500$ since i would need the Titan X for that which is 1500$ alone.

Love my Xbox but will need a computer anyway so i figures why not build one that can do mostly gaming but also surf the web and Microsoft Office.
@TUT S:

You get a quad core i5 processor of any modern variety and a bare-bones motherboard from a major player. You get a bare-bones case, whatever is on sale. You get a small SSD to have your boot drive and windows desktop, and a hard drive for all your installs. You throw the rest at as much GPU as you can afford. Done, you're at 1080p/60 for basically everything and 4k/30 as well, and if you are leaning back and playing with a joypad you'll never care about 30hz. If you must have 60hz, shoot for 1440p instead of 2160p.

My i7 from 6 yeras ago and my 980ti (a $300 card today, also known as a 1070) can deliver 1080p/60 and 4k/30 in everyting, in many games it delivers 4k/60 if you take things down from "HIGHEST" to "HIGH".

And the reason I suggest you get a major-player motherboard is because their UEFI interfaces (BIOS) will easily allow you to overclock that i5 to get even more out of whatever GPU you can throw in htere...and then you use afterburner to overclock your GPU and you're good.
barrelbelly likes this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #41 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I seen countless reviews saying the new gen intel 8400/8600 are killer cpu's for gaming. Instead of going all out for $420 8700K. I got build to around $1800 for setup with 1080ti 16 gigs ram. SSD it's the damn video card needed for 4k 60hz that kills the wallet.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #42 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea the more I read the more I think I am sticking with a console for now. I cant see myself even beginning to understand any of this. But I am still looking.
post #43 of 87 Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 173
There is nothing at all wrong with either of the modern consoles. It's literally the best time ever to be a gamer and both flavors, really all three if you want to count the Switch, are kind of in their finest forms at the moment.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #44 of 87 Old 12-02-2017, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I made a pcpartpicker list for you earlier with a strong build that was under $1500. Buy the parts, slap them together (as simple as "round peg, round hole" concept), and you'll have a machine that can do 1080p/120fps, 1440p/60fps and 4K/30+fps (60fps for many older games). It is very simple.

Here is the list again: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MGc8LD

Last edited by M.L.S.; 12-02-2017 at 02:27 AM.
post #45 of 87 Old 12-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Good solid build.

Steam ID: Budracin88
Origin ID: Budracin88
Blizzard: Budracin88#1797
YouTube Channel
Twitch
post #46 of 87 Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I have all systems. See my signature. I'd rather play on PC, but............you forget one thing. With a next gen OLED, currently PC gaming is lacking support in a very important department. HDR. If a game has HDR on a console, I will play it on XBOX ONE X now, and exclusives are played on their respective systems. Don't forget about VR gaming if that is your thing, as well.
OwnerOfLg likes this.

- AUDIO: (7.2.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Ryzen 3700X, GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB, STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)

Last edited by Geronimo.USMC; 12-02-2017 at 07:26 AM.
post #47 of 87 Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post
I have all systems. See my signature. I'd rather play on PC, but............you forget one thing. With a next gen OLED, currently PC gaming is lacking support in a very important department. HDR. If a game has HDR on a console, I will play it on XBOX ONE X now, and exclusives are played on their respective systems. Don't forget about VR gaming if that is your thing, as well.
HDR (ease of access) is one of the main reasons I moved back to consoles.

How's Dolby Atmos on PC gaming? I believe Overwatch on PC has Atmos, and a few others. But from what I can tell, Xbox Play Anywhere titles like Gears 4, Super Lucky's Tales have Atmos on console but not PC..?
post #48 of 87 Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Yes i don't think there are pc monitors out that have hdr support..they are coming but with pricetag 2000 dollars about. And we talking about 27inch monitor. It's pretty much standard in uhd tvs now and console games use hdr a lot.
post #49 of 87 Old 12-03-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
Quote:
Yes i don't think there are pc monitors out that have hdr support..they are coming but with pricetag 2000 dollars about. And we talking about 27inch monitor. It's pretty much standard in uhd tvs now and console games use hdr a lot.

Dell has one out for around $1,500.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #50 of 87 Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Dell has one out for around $1,500.
I believe that at least some Wasabi Mangos support HDR.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.W__QPgQkLJo

I'm not sure if my 43 does. And it was about $800.
post #51 of 87 Old 12-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
HDR (ease of access) is one of the main reasons I moved back to consoles.

How's Dolby Atmos on PC gaming? I believe Overwatch on PC has Atmos, and a few others. But from what I can tell, Xbox Play Anywhere titles like Gears 4, Super Lucky's Tales have Atmos on console but not PC..?

The HDR thing on pc is a train wreck. Atmos support is good. The native atmos games sound great, and the pc upmixes everything else and it sounds pretty convincing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaverJ likes this.
post #52 of 87 Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S. View Post
Quote:
Let?s get back on track guys. No debates for console vs PC, I already know PC is a step above. I?m really wondering what I can build as a first time PC builder that will give me either great 1080p resolution maxed out settings going to a 120hz TV. Orrrr a mid range budget 4K gaming build that can get most games at [email protected] I know getting a game like GTA V to run maxed 4K resolution would cost me about 2500$ since i would need the Titan X for that which is 1500$ alone.

I made a pcpartpicker list for you earlier with a strong build that was under $1500. Buy the parts, slap them together (as simple as "round peg, round hole" concept), and you'll have a machine that can do 1080p/120fps, 1440p/60fps and 4K/30+fps (60fps for many older games). It is very simple.

Here is the list again: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MGc8LD
Yea I looked it over...it is a great build. Just for giggles I extended my price range to 2000-2500$ since my plan is to build one next year once new products come out and hopefully others drop in Price especially graphics cards. I came across this 4K build for 2300$. Only thing not available right now with this build is the Corsair case. So I have no clue what type of cases to buy, guess it depends on what?s going in it.

Anyway, it?s way over my budget right now but definitely doable by next year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/a...1&Quantity.8=1
post #53 of 87 Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yea I looked it over...it is a great build. Just for giggles I extended my price range to 2000-2500$ since my plan is to build one next year once new products come out and hopefully others drop in Price especially graphics cards. I came across this 4K build for 2300$. Only thing not available right now with this build is the Corsair case. So I have no clue what type of cases to buy, guess it depends on what?s going in it.

Anyway, it?s way over my budget right now but definitely doable by next year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/a...1&Quantity.8=1
Stay away from the X299 platform. It will just have you spend hundreds more with no benefit for your purposes. You don't need the extra PCIe lanes and the 7740X CPU will provide no real gain in gaming over a CPU such as the i5 8400. In fact, that CPU is worse for gaming in some cases.

32GB of RAM is overkill for your prior budget. 16GB is more than enough for modern gaming.

There's nothing wrong with getting a small NVMe SSD for your OS and core programs, and a larger SATA SSD for games. You can do that config on the much cheaper Z370 platform.

As for the 1080 Ti, it is certainly worth it if you can afford it.

All you need for everything is a quality 650-watt power supply, and even that has plenty of headroom.
post #54 of 87 Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stay away from the X299 platform. It will just have you spend hundreds more with no benefit for your purposes. You don't need the extra PCIe lanes and the 7740X CPU will provide no real gain in gaming over a CPU such as the i5 8400. In fact, that CPU is worse for gaming in some cases.

32GB of RAM is overkill for your prior budget. 16GB is more than enough for modern gaming.

There's nothing wrong with getting a small NVMe SSD for your OS and core programs, and a larger SATA SSD for games. You can do that config on the much cheaper Z370 platform.

As for the 1080 Ti, it is certainly worth it if you can afford it.

All you need for everything is a quality 650-watt power supply, and even that has plenty of headroom.
Bruh this would be thrown down on a CC and paid off. The 1080ti is more than affordable.

Thanks for the input...they say anything below an i7-7700k will not be enough to power the 1080ti at 4K/60fps. The Nvidia website states the 1080ti will give You butter smooth 4K/60fps just fine.
post #55 of 87 Old 12-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Bruh this would be thrown down on a CC and paid off. The 1080ti is more than affordable.

Thanks for the input...they say anything below an i7-7700k will not be enough to power the 1080ti at 4K/60fps. The Nvidia website states the 1080ti will give You butter smooth 4K/60fps just fine.
Whoever said that about the 7700K is spouting BS. However, if you want the best all-around gaming CPU on the market today, the 8700K is your chip. The more expensive X299 platform and its chips failed to deliver anything better when it comes to gaming.

Nvidia is right that the 1080 Ti will give you butter smooth 4K gaming for most of the games out right now, but remember that actual benchmarks are what you should go by for the whole picture instead of what Nvidia's marketing team tells you. They'll try to sell you a bridge any time.
post #56 of 87 Old 12-05-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoever said that about the 7700K is spouting BS. However, if you want the best all-around gaming CPU on the market today, the 8700K is your chip. The more expensive X299 platform and its chips failed to deliver anything better when it comes to gaming.

Nvidia is right that the 1080 Ti will give you butter smooth 4K gaming for most of the games out right now, but remember that actual benchmarks are what you should go by for the whole picture instead of what Nvidia's marketing team tells you. They'll try to sell you a bridge any time.
No I know...they haven't sold me on anything yet. McDonalds hasn't sold me a smile yet lol. Well your great for info man..sounds like you could save me about 500$ with what you just mentioned bringing it down to about 1800$. Limit really is about 2G.
post #57 of 87 Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

can anyone provide me with a nice build for 4k/60fps for most games for 1500-1800$? I tried to pick some stuff on PCpartpicker but my god am I lost.

Ive managed this so far but feel I'm over spending on some stuff. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I been hopping back and forth between google and PCpartpicker to find out some info on my own.
post #58 of 87 Old 12-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Xbox One X may go back for 4K PC build

Quote:
can anyone provide me with a nice build for 4k/60fps for most games for 1500-1800$? I tried to pick some stuff on PCpartpicker but my god am I lost.

Ive managed this so far but feel I'm over spending on some stuff. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I been hopping back and forth between google and PCpartpicker to find out some info on my own.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MtjrzM

It’s right over your budget by 100, and no monitor, but this would be a crazy nice build. I can’t suggest a card below the 1080ti for decent 4k; it can’t even cut it all the time. However, you can save 200 by going with the 1080. The motherboard has ac WiFi, the ssd is a nvme ssd so it’ll boot in about 10 seconds. If you were to apply some of that 200 savings to a second large mechanical HD to store games that might be prudent. I love my gskill Ram; if you expanded your budget I’d suggest getting faster (3000+ MHz) Ram; these modern Intel cpus scale very well with faster Ram. I’ve had great luck with evga psus; you could save a little money by going with a 500 watt psu that’s not modular, but it’s really nice not having a wad of extra cables. As far as the rest, I have good luck with Logitech peripherals and Corsair cases, but I don’t have this particular one. I don’t think you need a 5.25 drive unless you want to to blu rays, so you could use a different case w/o the bays.

Now, if you were willing, I’d think of dropping to 1440p OR utilizing modern games’ dynamic res, or setting it to say, 85%. I have to do that in AC origins at 3840x1600 60fps. I’m not completely convinced 4k is the be all and end all of graphics. This would allow you to save further on a graphics card, maybe a 1070 for 400 ish.

Hope this helps

DaverJ likes this.
post #59 of 87 Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

It’s right over your budget by 100, and no monitor, but this would be a crazy nice build. I can’t suggest a card below the 1080ti for decent 4k; it can’t even cut it all the time. However, you can save 200 by going with the 1080. The motherboard has ac WiFi, the ssd is a nvme ssd so it’ll boot in about 10 seconds. If you were to apply some of that 200 savings to a second large mechanical HD to store games that might be prudent. I love my gskill Ram; if you expanded your budget I’d suggest getting faster (3000+ MHz) Ram; these modern Intel cpus scale very well with faster Ram. I’ve had great luck with evga psus; you could save a little money by going with a 500 watt psu that’s not modular, but it’s really nice not having a wad of extra cables. As far as the rest, I have good luck with Logitech peripherals and Corsair cases, but I don’t have this particular one. I don’t think you need a 5.25 drive unless you want to to blu rays, so you could use a different case w/o the bays.

Now, if you were willing, I’d think of dropping to 1440p OR utilizing modern games’ dynamic res, or setting it to say, 85%. I have to do that in AC origins at 3840x1600 60fps. I’m not completely convinced 4k is the be all and end all of graphics. This would allow you to save further on a graphics card, maybe a 1070 for 400 ish.

Hope this helps

thanks dude...I was researching a lot and they say to choose everything but the motherboard, to save that for almost last. So I chose a CPU and Graphics Card but still am so confused as what to look for with mothboards. Its all very confusing and there is so man parts.

Does it tell you how many MHz comes with the RAM you choose? I was looking for that but couldn't find it. And everything says to get something that can be overclocked as well.

not sure what this means for the Compatibility check:

"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

Last edited by turts85; 12-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.
post #60 of 87 Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post

Hope this helps

So I did another build and based it off some of your list. Lets see what you think. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I believe I have wifi with the motherboard I chose. The Ram is G.Skill Ripjaw 3200mhz 2x8gb=16gb

Not sure if I Need:
-Sound Card since I want this to hook to a 4k TV or a monitor.
-Wifi Adapter
-any other suggestions would be nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page