• 1 Post By Yrd
  • 1 Post By M.L.S.

post #1 of 30 Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Predictions for 2018

Nvidia will continue to dominate the PC gaming GPU market and tremendous strides in A.I. research will be made thanks to their ever-growing enterprise presence.

AMD will become much more profitable due in large part to wide adoption of their EPYC line, resulting in more than a doubling of the company's stock value. So buy up AMD stock and thank me later for the bro tip.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will kick a lot of ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 524
I believe Microsoft will announce Licensed partnerships with select vendors to make MS super spec'd Xbox consoles & Xbox Driven Super gaming Windows PC's, going forward into the future. IMO...Xbox 1X will be the last MS HW console produced directly by Team Xbox.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I believe Microsoft will announce Licensed partnerships with select vendors to make MS super spec'd Xbox consoles & Xbox Driven Super gaming Windows PC's, going forward into the future. IMO...Xbox 1X will be the last MS HW console produced directly by Team Xbox.
I could see that happening, and quite frankly, they need some changes. Just as with Intel, Microsoft has been a rather boring company with boring leadership and company visions that play it too safe. Nvidia and AMD, on the other hand, are companies that excite investors and consumers with their keen interest in fully embracing the newer age of technology within budgetary means.
barrelbelly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Ubisoft will come out with another Far Cry game and I'll be set for another year! lol
post #5 of 30 Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Lootboxes in one form or another

This space for rent!
post #6 of 30 Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Prediction: HDR will actually work. Oh wait, who am I kidding - that's not going to happen until at least 2020.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonose1 View Post
Ubisoft will come out with another Far Cry game and I'll be set for another year! lol
I haven even finished the story for 3 yet.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I haven even finished the story for 3 yet.
These games are so replayable. I still download and play custom made Far Cry 4 maps. And there are new ones every month.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Star Citizen will hit the $250,000,000 funding mark and we may get a beta announcement for a 2022 target date.
Graff Vynda-K likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After one quarter into 2018, I actually have a new prediction. I predict the HTPC market is on the verge of collapsing if the price of GPU's, CPU's and associated gear don't make an abrupt and immediate about face! The high cost of these things are just flat out ridiculous, and unjustified IMO. While the cost of quality UHDTV display technology is flourishing in a golden age of high value to affordable price. The HTPC market is just drowning in a sea of fire of its own making. We all play the same games...watch the same HD programming...compute and explore the same architecture. Where is the justification for the outrageous pricing in markets like GPU's? Is it Cryptocurrency Mining? If so that is simply outrageous inventory management & planning on the part of PC Parts makers.

IMO the pendulum has definitively swung to console gaming now...with the release of the awesome XBox1X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch. They take complete advantage of UHDTV, HDR, UHD Streaming and other associated tech at unbelievable attractive pricing (at all levels of entry). I have basically frozen my PC dalliance in place. And moved strongly back to console gaming & video choices. I think the PC HW folks have blown up their market with $600-$1500 GPU's and the like. Especially when a XBox1X or XBox1S along with a solid 43" LG 4K UHDTV will only hit your wallet for $700 or less (depending on sales). And with that setup you can watch UHD Blu Ray...stream in 4k...game in 4k or upscaled 4k. And pretty much do what you want (Win 10 link to a low powered PC, tablet, phone or laptop). The absurdly high cost of parts are rendering HTPC into a dinosaur category IMHO).

That's my Saturday rant...maybe too much coffee & caffeine. But I have just been disgusted by the spiraling prices in the HTPC market (from monitors-parts).
post #11 of 30 Old 03-31-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I agree with you barrelbelly ! I've been playing on my ps4p alot more over the
past year. I still game on pc , but have been wanting to upgrade my gpu for many
months now, but not going to pay the crazy prices for 'old' tech ...
I've been wanting a evga 1080 ftw 2 with the faster vram for almost a year now, but
one thing or another has held me off buying it. Now it would be a bad move to get
not unless it came down to about $500 or so....... amazon has it for $709 right now ,
and evga has it for wait , wait ........ 709 !!

Here's hoping there are some good new gpus at reasoniable prices coming out before
the end of 2018 !

Might have to buy FE card next gen...... from nvidia....... since amd is coming up
short... wish amd would come out with a low powered, decent priced , kick butt gpu.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
After one quarter into 2018, I actually have a new prediction. I predict the HTPC market is on the verge of collapsing if the price of GPU's, CPU's and associated gear don't make an abrupt and immediate about face! The high cost of these things are just flat out ridiculous, and unjustified IMO. While the cost of quality UHDTV display technology is flourishing in a golden age of high value to affordable price. The HTPC market is just drowning in a sea of fire of its own making. We all play the same games...watch the same HD programming...compute and explore the same architecture. Where is the justification for the outrageous pricing in markets like GPU's? Is it Cryptocurrency Mining? If so that is simply outrageous inventory management & planning on the part of PC Parts makers.

IMO the pendulum has definitively swung to console gaming now...with the release of the awesome XBox1X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch. They take complete advantage of UHDTV, HDR, UHD Streaming and other associated tech at unbelievable attractive pricing (at all levels of entry). I have basically frozen my PC dalliance in place. And moved strongly back to console gaming & video choices. I think the PC HW folks have blown up their market with $600-$1500 GPU's and the like. Especially when a XBox1X or XBox1S along with a solid 43" LG 4K UHDTV will only hit your wallet for $700 or less (depending on sales). And with that setup you can watch UHD Blu Ray...stream in 4k...game in 4k or upscaled 4k. And pretty much do what you want (Win 10 link to a low powered PC, tablet, phone or laptop). The absurdly high cost of parts are rendering HTPC into a dinosaur category IMHO).

That's my Saturday rant...maybe too much coffee & caffeine. But I have just been disgusted by the spiraling prices in the HTPC market (from monitors-parts).
Sales for consoles havent went up much if any since crypto mining came along ( A quick google will show) Its just a blip in the radar IMO. There havent been any real big releases that need 1080ti type of GPU's recently. Thats what really spurs on the want to change.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
post #13 of 30 Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem with the situation is they are selling the things. Sure won't be dropping a hot selling device that a certain individual can't buy. Why would they care who's able to buy it. Change the marketing to appeal to miners, jack up the prices.

I think maybe a way to solve the issue is to keep some to sell in bundles only. That way gamers can get the device still. Bundle it up with a game or ram or something else that miners have no desire to own. My 980ti is still working for me. When I can't find a video card on the next product cycle, I might have a dog in this fight.
barrelbelly likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #14 of 30 Old 04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem with the situation is they are selling the things. Sure won't be dropping a hot selling device that a certain individual can't buy. Why would they care who's able to buy it. Change the marketing to appeal to miners, jack up the prices.

I think maybe a way to solve the issue is to keep some to sell in bundles only. That way gamers can get the device still. Bundle it up with a game or ram or something else that miners have no desire to own. My 980ti is still working for me. When I can't find a video card on the next product cycle, I might have a dog in this fight.
That's exactly my main point YRD. I patiently waited for the current cycle of NVidia and AMD GPU's...& Intel, AMD CPU's. Only to see prices not only skyrocket of Next gen GPU's...But even last gen. SO I tapped out...said screw the PC manipulators...and went back to console & UHDTV.
post #15 of 30 Old 04-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
That's exactly my main point YRD. I patiently waited for the current cycle of NVidia and AMD GPU's...& Intel, AMD CPU's. Only to see prices not only skyrocket of Next gen GPU's...But even last gen. SO I tapped out...said screw the PC manipulators...and went back to console & UHDTV.
I'm feeling the same way, though I am still optimistic that the mining craze will crash soon and there will be a glut of low-priced GPU's available. But yeah, until that time arrives I've been shifting back to console gaming. I recently picked up a PS4 Pro and combined with my 4k/HDR tv it's been a really great option. (I've always preferred the simplicity of consoles, but would still do a fair amount of PC gaming to get the better visuals)
post #16 of 30 Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graff Vynda-K View Post
I'm feeling the same way, though I am still optimistic that the mining craze will crash soon and there will be a glut of low-priced GPU's available. But yeah, until that time arrives I've been shifting back to console gaming. I recently picked up a PS4 Pro and combined with my 4k/HDR tv it's been a really great option. (I've always preferred the simplicity of consoles, but would still do a fair amount of PC gaming to get the better visuals)
I'm really enjoying the 4K-HDR-upscaled 1080p/4k and overall gaming experience on my new XB1X console/LG 43"4K HDR10 6300 Gaming Room UHDTV. So I see zero reason to pay a king's ransom, to muscle up my PC for 4K gaming anymore. The price explosion on GPU's...along with dirty practices by parts suppliers have just killed my interest in PC upgrades. As example...I offer up how AMD gimped parts and specs of the AMD RX 560 4GB OC card ($149 retail) down to R-460 spec. And then charge more for it ($229-$249 retail). They spec'd compute units down from 1024 to 896 and Clock speed from 7000mhz to 6000. In it's original configuration...I was ready to call it a day. And just grab a RX 560 for $149 to replace my HD7870...get DX12, Mantle, Freesync, 4k Video on PC, High to Ultra setting/FPS 1080p 144HZ gaming on my 27" Acer XF27OH Gaming monitor. That little card could do that before AMD gimped it! I had gone to Microcenter and bought an "Open Box" Asus for $134, before I got it home and discovered it was an 'Evo' gimped card. I immediately returned it! And just decided to sit this thing out until the price of the AMD I really want (RX580 8GB OC) come back down to where I want it (mid-low $200's). Or just forget PC for awhile in favor of the Xbox. IMO...companies like AMD are being extremely short sighted. They have thrown their Gaming market under the bus to chase a Fad (Mining) that will soon blow up in their face.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

I just saw a headline about a bundle from amd. Gpu, cpu, mb in one box. See I could run one of these companies.

I'm sure miners will still buy them, and sell the crap they don't use. Probably still selling for the same amount when you factor in the markup vs 2nd hand value drop.
post #18 of 30 Old 04-30-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forget about 2018 predictions. Things look to really heat up in 2019 between AMD and Intel. AMD seems to be on a roll (fueled by consoles and unfortunately 'Miners'). While their new 7 nanometer tech looks promising. I'm not holding my breadth. Because I know how Miners can just totally screw up the gaming market on pricing. The following article discusses new developments in CPU & GPU tech...earmarked for 2019.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=spartandhp
post #19 of 30 Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

AMD's rise was almost a given, hence my "prediction." Lisa Su knows what she is doing. Intel should start to get a little worried, as their patchwork ideas will only get them so far as a premium player.
post #20 of 30 Old 06-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Last video card I bought was a 980 ti, and that was pretty near the tail end of that cycle. The miners weren't that insatiable. Now the problem comes for me in that the best possible price I could end up with these days will be MSRP. Even at end of life for these cards. I hope they can figure something out to keep gamers buying crap.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I hope they can figure something out to keep gamers buying crap.
High performance 4K gaming is pretty much the only allure right now. With even regular TVs from big names like Sony supporting 1440p at 120Hz, 4K is not that big of a deal in my mind.

Nvidia is pushing real-time raytracing features, but I doubt that will make much of a dent early on. Enterprise is where the shiny new stuff excites the most for the moment.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S. View Post
High performance 4K gaming is pretty much the only allure right now. With even regular TVs from big names like Sony supporting 1440p at 120Hz, 4K is not that big of a deal in my mind.

Nvidia is pushing real-time raytracing features, but I doubt that will make much of a dent early on. Enterprise is where the shiny new stuff excites the most for the moment.
I totally agree with you that 4k gaming is not that big a deal. Especially for PC gaming. IMO it is mostly relevant for niches like VR...and mass markets like Console gaming. And that is only because consumers are gobbling up inexpensive 4k ultra HD displays at a ferocious pace. Plus I must admit...XB1X is an awesome console for UHDTV. Upscaled Console games look great on those big 4k panels. But on the PC side, 4k is kind of gimmicky right now IMO (for gaming). There are so few games available for it...plus 1440p @120 HZ or 1080p @144HZ on a high refresh rate...27"-34" Freesync or G-Sync monitor is the very best format for PC gaming IMO. Companies like NVidia are really screwing PC gamers by persuading them to massively over invest in new 4k cards that offer dubious levels of benefits for games designed 99.999% for 1080p. While Nvidia and AMD are doubling down on screwing gamers on pricing of 1080 (N) to 580 (A) series cards. They are just hiding very poor planning and gouging behind the "Mining" fad IMO. If those gouged GPU prices continue to dominate for miners over the summer...I suggest a lot of PC gamers will just hunker down with what they have...thrust a middle finger at NVidia & AMD...and snag a XB1X or PS4Pro. Heck...they can grab both an XB1X plus a PS4 Pro for less than 1 N-1080Ti or 1 AMD Vega 56 or 64! So IMO NVidia and AMD are really frustrating PC gamers and driving them away with their predatory pricing.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I totally agree with you that 4k gaming is not that big a deal. Especially for PC gaming. IMO it is mostly relevant for niches like VR...and mass markets like Console gaming. And that is only because consumers are gobbling up inexpensive 4k ultra HD displays at a ferocious pace. Plus I must admit...XB1X is an awesome console for UHDTV. Upscaled Console games look great on those big 4k panels. But on the PC side, 4k is kind of gimmicky right now IMO (for gaming). There are so few games available for it...plus 1440p @120 HZ or 1080p @144HZ on a high refresh rate...27"-34" Freesync or G-Sync monitor is the very best format for PC gaming IMO. Companies like NVidia are really screwing PC gamers by persuading them to massively over invest in new 4k cards that offer dubious levels of benefits for games designed 99.999% for 1080p. While Nvidia and AMD are doubling down on screwing gamers on pricing of 1080 (N) to 580 (A) series cards. They are just hiding very poor planning and gouging behind the "Mining" fad IMO. If those gouged GPU prices continue to dominate for miners over the summer...I suggest a lot of PC gamers will just hunker down with what they have...thrust a middle finger at NVidia & AMD...and snag a XB1X or PS4Pro. Heck...they can grab both an XB1X plus a PS4 Pro for less than 1 N-1080Ti or 1 AMD Vega 56 or 64! So IMO NVidia and AMD are really frustrating PC gamers and driving them away with their predatory pricing.
Times have certainly changed with even many hardcore PC gamers seeming to care less about ultra realistic visuals and focusing more on quality gameplay. Perhaps the Nintendo Switch and numerous fun indie games have a large part in this. In addition to that, just look at all of the classics being re-released to gamers' delight.

Even with cutting edge games, hyper responsive and high refresh rate gaming is considerably more beneficial than the extra fidelity that 4K offers. The difference between 60fps and 120fps in a game like DOOM is "yuge." Even Resident Evil 7 is a much more enjoyable game with substantially high frame rates.
post #24 of 30 Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Times have certainly changed with even many hardcore PC gamers seeming to care less about ultra realistic visuals and focusing more on quality gameplay. Perhaps the Nintendo Switch and numerous fun indie games have a large part in this. In addition to that, just look at all of the classics being re-released to gamers' delight.

Even with cutting edge games, hyper responsive and high refresh rate gaming is considerably more beneficial than the extra fidelity that 4K offers. The difference between 60fps and 120fps in a game like DOOM is "yuge." Even Resident Evil 7 is a much more enjoyable game with substantially high frame rates.
Spot on the money M.L.S. With 4k/UHDTV/HDR10/DV...with powerhouse consoles like XB1X/XB1S and PS4 Pro Gamers are getting "ultra realistic" visuals at astonishing levels for their 1080p Backwards Compatible games (upscaled or native) and new 4K native titles. The focus is now totally on gameplay in the widest possible library (with consoles). Ditto on your second point on PC gaming. Because of our ability to customize & optimize our experience...1080p-1440p @120 -144HZ/Freesync-Gsync/Mantle & DX12/rock steady 80-130FPS...up close on a 27"-34" is the Bees Knees. And we can get this with current gen GPU's like the 1070-1080 Nvidia series & AMD 570-580 8G & Vega series. And even a few last gen models like the NVidia 980 Ti and overclocked AMD 480 8g OC series. As stated earlier...The Mastodon in the room is unprecedented gouging that prices current & last gen pricing at nose bleed high next generation levels.

I'm just sorry...but I am in no way going to pay any more than $300 for a next gen GPU or CPU from NVidia, AMD or Intel to play 4k HDR/DV games @ a rock solid 80-120HZ on a PC! Especially when it is highly unlikely to look any different from 1080p-1440p under ultra settings. And I can get just as awesome visuals from a $199-$299 (XB1S or PS4) console to $399-$499 (XB1X-PS4 Pro). That's why I predict that the PC HW makers are slitting their own short sighted throats with their predatory pricing...aimed at Miners only. I personally voted with my wallet. I picked up an "open box" AMD Power Color Red Dragon AMD 580 8gb, OC GPU from Microcenter for $285 and never looked back. The very next week the exact same GPU was selling for $399 at Microcenter (open box was $369)! I mated it with a new ACER 27" 1080p-1440p 130-144HZ, 1ms monitor for $269 sale price. And I am actually done for PC gaming upgrading. I also bought a XB1X to mate with a new LG 43" for any and all 4k gaming. So I built my bridge back to console for super visuals. And just optimized my PC to play ultra setting 1080-1440p in my huge Steam/Uplay/Origin/Microsoft library. So the PC HW makers can next gen until the cows come home for the Miners. They have lost me as a gamer!
post #25 of 30 Old 08-27-2018, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AMD will become much more profitable due in large part to wide adoption of their EPYC line, resulting in more than a doubling of the company's stock value. So buy up AMD stock and thank me later for the bro tip.
OK, you can thank me now.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-27-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a new prediction. It's more for 2019 and beyond though. If video games don't get more inspired and much better on the story side...it won't matter what kind of hardware one has. The industry will stagnate at the top. IMO the game development side is suffering much more right now than the hardware side. Practically every mid to high tier system on the PC or console side is more than capable of delivering a very satisfying "technical" experience. With me, the issue is not gameplay anymore. It's the dearth of lackluster games and franchises themselves. Where are the blockbusters like Mass Effect...Half Life...Halo...GOW...Bioshock...Crysis? Give me a VR Star Trek...Star Wars...Philip Marlow series...anything except the gruel dribbling out now.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a new prediction. It's more for 2019 and beyond though. If video games don't get more inspired and much better on the story side...it won't matter what kind of hardware one has. The industry will stagnate at the top. IMO the game development side is suffering much more right now than the hardware side. Practically every mid to high tier system on the PC or console side is more than capable of delivering a very satisfying "technical" experience. With me, the issue is not gameplay anymore. It's the dearth of lackluster games and franchises themselves. Where are the blockbusters like Mass Effect...Half Life...Halo...GOW...Bioshock...Crysis? Give me a VR Star Trek...Star Wars...Philip Marlow series...anything except the gruel dribbling out now.

I don't know. To me, and perhaps others, many of those series are played out to the point of negating technological achievements. Mass Effect, Halo, Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Gears, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Metro, BioShock and Crysis have run their course, and the Star Wars and Star Trek names have much less meaning anymore.

Different big-budget IP is critical. That's a void that games like Cyberpunk 2077 can hopefully fill.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I agree, we've plateaued. Of all the titles you mentioned only a new Crysis would matter. I'm due for a replay of all 3...and they all still hold up, even the first Crysis still impresses.......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #29 of 30 Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I agree, we've plateaued. Of all the titles you mentioned only a new Crysis would matter. I'm due for a replay of all 3...and they all still hold up, even the first Crysis still impresses.......
I still go back to 2 and 3 from time to time. I would be a buyer for some add on episodes. I still really like 2 and 3, but 3 got a it too easy with the bow. Too bad we never got much in the way of community made maps that keep the FC series going a bit longer.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 180
All excellent campaigns you can take at your own pace. Also, Crysis Warhead is not to be left out.....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page