Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #121 of 145 Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Installed Natural Vision, ENB, and VisualV for GTA V today and the visuals are insane. Just too bad the ultra preset for ENB kicks my cards butt.

sjchmura and Arutha_conDoin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I hear coil whine from the card itself on the one in my office computer because it is a few feet to my right but it is only when it is hitting really high FPS and it is fairly heavily overclocked.

However in my HTPC which is going through my Pre-pro, I do not hear anything through the speakers. While my pre-pro is connected to my external amp via XLR, it isn't a true balanced connection though so I am wondering if there may be an issue with the HDMI cable you are using.
I have the founders edition. The card definitely has coil whine (I think almost all have to some degree). However the primary whine is coming through the HDMI through the receiver and then into the powered speakers. I have tried various types of HDMI cables including an optical HDMI cable. I have also tried power filters. It's definitely the card as the whine I hear through the speakers matches the sound of the coil whine coming from the card.

I think the NVIDIA cards leak some of the coil whine into the HDMI output and thus infects the receiver. I really am confuses as to how this happens as HDMI is digital ... but It happens
post #123 of 145 Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdbh View Post
I have the founders edition. The card definitely has coil whine (I think almost all have to some degree). However the primary whine is coming through the HDMI through the receiver and then into the powered speakers. I have tried various types of HDMI cables including an optical HDMI cable. I have also tried power filters. It's definitely the card as the whine I hear through the speakers matches the sound of the coil whine coming from the card.

I think the NVIDIA cards leak some of the coil whine into the HDMI output and thus infects the receiver. I really am confuses as to how this happens as HDMI is digital ... but It happens
That is definitely very strange because I have heard coil whine physically coming from many cards I have owned but none of it has ever leaked through HDMI to my AVRs or pre-pros.

I had a 1080 Ti FE in my HTPC for a bit and never heard it come through the speakers. My home office PC used to have a Titan X (which is more or less the same as a FE as it is Nvidia direct) and I never heard it come through the AVR in that room when I would use the TV/AVR in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 145 Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Installed Natural Vision, ENB, and VisualV for GTA V today and the visuals are insane. Just too bad the ultra preset for ENB kicks my cards butt.

[IMG]

So what FPS you getting? This is 1440p or 2160?
So with rtx and 4k looks like paying extra to go past 60hz likely not worth it even with the ti?

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #125 of 145 Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
So what FPS you getting? This is 1440p or 2160?
So with rtx and 4k looks like paying extra to go past 60hz likely not worth it even with the ti?
FPS in bottom right corner of each screenshot and same resolution of the screenshots, 3440 x 1440.

What does paying extra to go past 60hz mean? For 4K you want to squeeze out every last bit of power. The higher end cards use Samsung memory and out of the box you can immediately overclock the memory by at least 1,000Mhz.
post #126 of 145 Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was referring to a 4k monitor/hdr with FreeSync 40-66 vs 40-120. Seems like from most modern games to push high frame rates past 60-66 seems unlikely even with the ti.

Debating on a 40-66 4k hdr philips or waiting for the 120hz version from Asus (which will likely be double )

Obviously at 4k you need the ti

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #127 of 145 Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was referring to a 4k monitor/hdr with FreeSync 40-66 vs 40-120. Seems like from most modern games to push high frame rates past 60-66 seems unlikely even with the ti.

Debating on a 40-66 4k hdr philips or waiting for the 120hz version from Asus (which will likely be double )

Obviously at 4k you need the ti
60fps+ is easy with most modern games with a 2080 Ti. Once you introduce ray-tracing, the story changes.
post #128 of 145 Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Looks like Quake II with full-on path tracing will finally get an official release on June 6th as "Quake II RTX." I still play this game every now and then using KMQuake II source port. Can't beat its accessibility and soundtrack.

There's admittedly a strangeness to once again barely being able to run this game 22 years later, and a strangeness to thinking that my RTX card purchase might have been made worthwhile by a 22-year-old game.

post #129 of 145 Old 05-30-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'm going to wish you the best of fun with that game, because I do believe everyone should just enjoy what they enjoy

I paid $800 into my first-gen Oculus Rift....people said I was stupid, and I agreed...but I still love it, flaws and all.

But I'm going to counter your enthusiasm for debate purposes alone with a personal opinion that this is why you don't buy RTX at that price in 2019........getting excited over Quake 2 is, frankly, wrong. Yes, it's cool that it's out there, but Nvidia forced everyone into a $400+ surcharge for their 2080 Ti card because of this next-to-useless RTX add on that is delivering....well, not a lot. Some of the best we've seen have been *hacks* by modders and even those deliver crippling performance impacts, and they're hacks....with all the fun that mods bring to games. Did I mention crippling performance? Also, and I will say this....Quake 2's Ray Tracing looks completely and totally MEH to me. Makes a game that is best played in the dark look overly bright. The MINECRAFT mod with its deformable world, which then showed off the power of the Ray Traced lighting and color projection...that impressed me more than this does.

And now the internet is abuzz with this. fully reflective puddles and overly-brightening images is all I'm still seeing out of Ray Traced lighting in Gen 1 so far, that and trying to make an ugly, low-poly game like Quake 2 seem like its some kind of hot new thing to be experienced.... The Digital Foundry tests they are doing are telling.....the Crysis mod for example didn't impress me, in fact I'd say there was almost nothing wrong with the lighting in that game to begin with. Half Life barely improved, when you have to spend 20 minutes talking about the shadow behind a dumpster or trash can, I think we can see the level of sugar necessary to turn this lemon juice into lemonaide........

I have yet to see the "Woah now THAT looks amazing...sign me up!" Ray Tracing in games, it still seems to be best used to render videos to make things look photorealistic. Gaming's not even close to being there, I'd ask for deformable environments in every game before I wanted them to mathematically cripple my gameplay just to calculate light bounces and then act on that data.

The current RTX core isn't even close to delivering the kind of horsepower that the technology needs to be done properly.

GTAV has amazing baked-in lighting. Doom 2016 has amazing baked-in lighting. Hell even CRYSIS has amazing lighting considering its age, the shadows in the jungle, etc.....show me a game like FEAR with Ray Tracing and how it improves the feel of the game and I'll show you a RESHADE mod that probably does the same thing without any of the performance hits. Sure, I'm talking a bit out my keister here but the vibe is true: Lighting and shadowing is something that artists can compenesate for in 2019, particularly...*particularly* if your environment is static (which is 90% of games out there).

I want Ray Tracing, it IS better than baked-in lighting, it's just not at $1200+ for 25% framerate improvement max without it turned on and 70% framerate reduction with it turned on....for real-time puddles and lighting that looks barely different than non-ray traced lighting when its done well enough.

Again, one persons opinion, your mileage may vary. If you bought the cards, this is a very cool nice to have, but for those of us who didn't buy in yet, it's kind of a low-hanging fruit...I don't want to knock anyones enjoyment, but I will plant a flag if people are trying to promote Quake 2 as some kind of triumph

Not saying you are, not at all, but I believe in discussion on forums and this is something I felt like, errr, discussing I suppose.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #130 of 145 Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 PM

Oh, I get your points and reading it made me envision Tony Tomasi's smile turning into a frown.

I just think it's neat to finally have full-fledged ray tracing in some form after decades of talk, and Quake II happens to be one of my favorite games to this day to just pick up and play through. Conventional lighting has indeed gone far, and I would also cite Doom 2016 as a shining example of that as I would certain aspects of Rage 2. I do hope we see more classics given the RTX treatment even if only as a curiosity.

It seems to me that those who convey too much excitement over the current achievements of RTX are of course the CEO as he should, and the financial analysts who haven't played a game in their lives but need a reason to excite investors.
HeadRusch likes this.

Last edited by NewAger; 05-30-2019 at 06:02 PM.
post #131 of 145 Old 06-16-2019, 11:22 PM

Playing Quake II RTX is an almost surreal experience. I'm not kidding when I say that I am sort of creeped out (in a good way) by the accuracy of the lighting, shadows and reflections. Perhaps it's because I'm not used to it. Ray tracing will definitely be a worthwhile pursuit as hardware gets more powerful.

People who complained about scenes being too bright based on the trailer need to know that some areas of the game still have no light source and are realistically pitch black, much darker than the standard game. In some ways, path tracing turned Quake II from an extremely boisterous FPS game to an almost straight-up horror FPS game.

P.S. It's absurd that there is no support to add the game's soundtrack. I understand not including the music itself, but at least allow us to add our copy into the game just as KMQuake II allows it.
post #132 of 145 Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think most RTX buyers did not buy their cards for RT, but for either higher res gaming or higher refresh rates. Personally preferred a 1080ti, but none remained that were under 2080 pricing, so grudgingly went for a 2080. Happy with it, but cant use RT at 4k. Maybe in another 2-3 generations it will be feasible.
post #133 of 145 Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hoping the 2080 super is a ti for $699 as rumored. Need an upgrade from my 1080- waiting to play metro until RTX

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #134 of 145 Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I suspect Nvidia knows there are a lot of us unwilling to pay the $400+ surcharge for their 1st gen RTX coprocessors.....but they want to move hardware.......so they'll sell us that "24 to 34% bump over the 1080 Ti" version of the 2080, RTX-Free, at $800 and change (for the factory hot-rod models, screw anything 'founders').......and we'll likely buy it

The minute they were showing Ray Tracing looking "a little bit better than non-Ray Traced" games running at 35fps at 1080p...............yeah I think they really misread the enthusiast market a bit, but that just exposed their reasoning: They had to pay for this RTX development, and they know they'd have at least a chunk of Early Adopters who would simply 'have no place else to go" and dive deep.*
I guess those numbers have dried up and their flagship TI isn't getting the numbers they need for sustainability, so let's release an "S" model like Apple does and see how many more we can hook before RTX 2 gives us.....1440p at 30fps with full Ray Tracing, now....in HALF LIFE 2! (ok ok I'm being myself here but I figure, as Blur does above, we're 3-4 years away from this really being 'a thing' we can start to take for granted)

*actual Nvidia Market Research Source for RTX Sales Feasibility Study...probably....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #135 of 145 Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the 2080 super should be close to a vanilla 2080ti. The 2070 is a sweet spot being 95% of the 2080 even in rtx (eurogamer tested RTX)

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #136 of 145 Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
The minute they were showing Ray Tracing looking "a little bit better than non-Ray Traced" games running at 35fps at 1080p...............yeah I think they really misread the enthusiast market a bit, but that just exposed their reasoning: They had to pay for this RTX development, and they know they'd have at least a chunk of Early Adopters who would simply 'have no place else to go" and dive deep.*
I guess those numbers have dried up and their flagship TI isn't getting the numbers they need for sustainability, so let's release an "S" model like Apple does and see how many more we can hook before RTX 2 gives us.....1440p at 30fps with full Ray Tracing, now....in HALF LIFE 2! (ok ok I'm being myself here but I figure, as Blur does above, we're 3-4 years away from this really being 'a thing' we can start to take for granted)

Full ray tracing in Half-Life 2? Sign me up!

Ray tracing will be an important feature when we're all streaming our games from server clusters running hundreds of GPUs. That is when Nvidia's early bet on the tech will payoff.
post #137 of 145 Old 07-17-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lots of ray tracing games coming. Hoping 2080 super is really $699

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #138 of 145 Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Is there a comprehensive list out there that mentions upcoming games with plans for ray tracing? Of the few games I saw, Serious Sam 4 is the only one that might make me consider upgrading the 2070 to a future RTX 3080 Super Duper Ultra Ti Limited Leather Jacket Edition card.
post #139 of 145 Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Is there a comprehensive list out there that mentions upcoming games with plans for ray tracing? Of the few games I saw, Serious Sam 4 is the only one that might make me consider upgrading the 2070 to a future RTX 3080 Super Duper Ultra Ti Limited Leather Jacket Edition card.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-rtx-features/
NewAger likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #140 of 145 Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My 2070 Super was $550 but it was the EVGA XC Ultra model so that falls inline with that $499 price point. I think that $699 will hold true.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #141 of 145 Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bench mark for Gears 5 Tech Test
mutelight likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #142 of 145 Old Today, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Holding out for 2080 super to get 60 FPS at 4k. My 1080 needs to beat 65% render resolution to keep 60
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #143 of 145 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Holding out for 2080 super to get 60 FPS at 4k. My 1080 needs to beat 65% render resolution to keep 60
Early leaks are sounding positive. I just wish it was in my cash flow. Now to start saving up to replace everything else.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #144 of 145 Old Today, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Early leaks are sounding positive. I just wish it was in my cash flow. Now to start saving up to replace everything else.
I didn't spend much on this generation of GPUs because it was destined to be a stopgap in rolling out RTX tech. The next generation will probably be loaded with much more powerful RT cores and put the 20 series' ray tracing performance to absolute shame. Much better use of ray tracing in modern games should be available by then, too, though still nothing that awe-inspiring.

Oh, and there's the all-important HDMI 2.1 to think about.

Last edited by NewAger; Today at 02:10 PM.
post #145 of 145 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dunno. I saw some video of metro and that was impressive as hell. Ditto for control. Game pass has metro and new cards get you control and Wolfenstein

Only game not impressive is BFV

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page