What does it take to actually implement Atmos ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What does it take to actually implement Atmos ?

The question has been bugging me for a while now. From the bits and pieces that I've gathered, Atmos is some sort of object oriented sound format that renders objects in a 3D space to your speaker setup via boatloads of math.

The whole gaming environment seems basically full of objects in 3D space emitting sounds so the concepts do seem to match perfectly at first glance. Let the game engine feed whatever object is emitting sound into the Atmos cosmos and voila, surround sound ensues.

Yet the list of Atmos supporting games on PC is mostly empty. Is it an insurmountable task to implement it? What's holding it back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 780
For gaming, I think the reality is that most use headphones

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosi1979 View Post
The question has been bugging me for a while now. From the bits and pieces that I've gathered, Atmos is some sort of object oriented sound format that renders objects in a 3D space to your speaker setup via boatloads of math.

The whole gaming environment seems basically full of objects in 3D space emitting sounds so the concepts do seem to match perfectly at first glance. Let the game engine feed whatever object is emitting sound into the Atmos cosmos and voila, surround sound ensues.

Yet the list of Atmos supporting games on PC is mostly empty. Is it an insurmountable task to implement it? What's holding it back?
My guess is, aside from a few of us at AVS, lack of interest in investing and setting up a dedicated 5.1.2 or beyond system. This, and devs not particularly interested in investing a new audio format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Maybe you're right and the whole thing is not yet widespread enough.

The headphone part is the thing I'm not sure about. My sincere hope is, Atmos for headphones will help as that app is not really that expensive in the windows store.

From a developer point of view I'd hope it doesn't make a difference to the game engine wether there is that Atmos for headphones app or a full blown 7.1.4 AVR setup on the playback side. At least that way we'd benefit from the crowd of headphone users if developers implement Atmos.

I tried to dig a bit in the Dolby documentation but couldn't really find anything. Engine-wise there seems to exist an Atmos plugin for Unity, a single blog post dating back to may 2018 for the unreal engine 4 and not much on EA's frostbite engine. It sure doesn't feel like a lot of information for such a cool piece of tech.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
PC Gaming didn't support DTS or Dolby's previous formats so I'm guessing Atmos is no different.....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It seems like more and more PC games are supporting Atmos. I recently picked up Metro Exodus and the Division 2 and they both support Atmos. Also the new RE2 remake supports Atmos on PC along with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Hopefully the trend continues!

AV equipment: Sony XBR65X930E, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-X800 UHD, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I have a 5.1.2 with 2 height speakers that are misconfigured and orincorrectly identified by windows 10. I downloaded app and installed but cant seem to configure my setup correctly. So to answer your question, Windows needs to do a better job before developers can implement atmos in games.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
It seems like more and more PC games are supporting Atmos. I recently picked up Metro Exodus and the Division 2 and they both support Atmos. Also the new RE2 remake supports Atmos on PC along with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Hopefully the trend continues!

I don't do much PC gaming anymore, so its good to hear they are actually supporting it, I wonder if Dolby is going light on the licensing and hoping that by spreading the support they'll sell hardware...and eventually more licenses or...dunno, either way, this is good and surprising news.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2019, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was actually just about to start a thread asking if it is possible to enable Atmos on games. As the OP states, the fact that the game environment is inherently three-dimensional should mean it is the perfect format for Atmos.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't come up with some kind of tool to at least emulate it. I'm able to set 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre' as an option under device settings in windows, so surely we're halfway there.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I was actually just about to start a thread asking if it is possible to enable Atmos on games. As the OP states, the fact that the game environment is inherently three-dimensional should mean it is the perfect format for Atmos.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't come up with some kind of tool to at least emulate it. I'm able to set 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre' as an option under device settings in windows, so surely we're halfway there.
Upmixing via Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X is emulating native Atmos.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post

I'm surprised that someone hasn't come up with some kind of tool to at least emulate it. I'm able to set 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre' as an option under device settings in windows, so surely we're halfway there. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Upmixing via Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X is emulating native Atmos.
True, that is a perfectly fine method to use for now.

However I was more thinking having a tool create a proper object-based signal based on the game, rather than upmixing the channel-based output.

Not sure whether Dolby would support it of course.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Liked: 16
Typically the critical ingredient is licensing, decoders to play it back, encoders to send the game sounds to, and rights to show the symbol on packaging. People who make AVRs and players pay for it as that is often the only reason people buy new gear. Game developers are on the opposite end, pure chicken and egg, no reason to use it until its either free for them to use or common in the user base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page