Need help with 4K 60hz HDR output on 1080Ti graphics card - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Yves Claeys
  • 1 Post By NewAger

post #1 of 14 Old 04-28-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Need help with 4K 60hz HDR output on 1080Ti graphics card

Not sure if someone can help me or not but I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. I recently purchased the new Epson 5050 projector which has an 18gps HDMI that supports 4K HDR at 60hz. I currently have a PS4 Pro, XBOX ONE X, Roku Ultra, Panasonic UB900 4K player and a gaming pc with a 1080Ti Card hooked up to it via my Yamaha 3050 AVR.

Long story short, all of my devices besides my gaming PC are recognized as 4K HDR 60hz compatible devices. For some reason, my gaming pc shows the native resolution is 1080p. I’ve tried a different hdmi cable for the PC, I’ve tried just switching it with another device that was working in 4K and I’ve tried switching the HDMI Mode on my AVR in the advanced menu from Mode 1 to Mode 2 and still shows native 1080p.

Two things allow me to get native 4K on my pc and that’s either running the projector directly to the pc and bypassing the Yamaha 3050 or switching the EDID in the Epson menu from Expanded to Normal. The problem with switching from Expanded to Normal is that it causes all my other devices to only run at 4K 30hz and not 60hz. Right now I’m having to switch the EDID back and forth and it’s frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips as to what might be happening or what else I could check because all signs are pointing to the AVR. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 166
You haven't mentioned what your PC is saying about all of this, unless I just missed it, when you're only seeing 1080p output on your display via your PC>AVR>PJ connection, what is the Nvidia Control Panel telling you it's outputting. Is it only seeing the AVR/Epson as a 1080p max res device or is it still trying to output 4k?

Reason I ask is your PC may be trying to push 4K at 4:4:4....and it might need to push 4:2:2 in order to get the PJ to recognize it.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
You haven't mentioned what your PC is saying about all of this, unless I just missed it, when you're only seeing 1080p output on your display via your PC>AVR>PJ connection, what is the Nvidia Control Panel telling you it's outputting. Is it only seeing the AVR/Epson as a 1080p max res device or is it still trying to output 4k?

Reason I ask is your PC may be trying to push 4K at 4:4:4....and it might need to push 4:2:2 in order to get the PJ to recognize it.

Sorry. Nvidia Control Panel is showing 1920x1080 at 60 hz. I can switch to 4K resolution but it’s not the native in the Nvidia control panel. When I do that, it also doesn’t allow me to switch to HDR.

When I checked the projector info it shows Rec709 8 Bit. If I go into the Nvidia settings and try to push 4:2:2 it still won’t show native 4K or HDR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Sorry. Nvidia Control Panel is showing 1920x1080 at 60 hz. I can switch to 4K resolution but it’s not the native in the Nvidia control panel. When I do that, it also doesn’t allow me to switch to HDR.

When I checked the projector info it shows Rec709 8 Bit. If I go into the Nvidia settings and try to push 4:2:2 it still won’t show native 4K or HDR.

Did you try setting it to YCbCr420 12bit? Then you should be able to switch to HDR @ 60hz.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Claeys View Post
Did you try setting it to YCbCr420 12bit? Then you should be able to switch to HDR @ 60hz.

I think I tried but I’ll double check. Should I set the resolution to 4K first and then do it or change to YCb420 12 Bit first and then try to change to 4K?

post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I think I tried but I’ll double check. Should I set the resolution to 4K first and then do it or change to YCb420 12 Bit first and then try to change to 4K?

with my PC setup Windows 10/ 1080Ti I have to set it to 2160p 60hz Ycb420 12bit , and then I get the correct HDR mode when I flip the switch in windows HD Color settings window.
Some apps/games autoswitch to HDR others I have to flip switch first and then start the app/game. Hope this helps you.
HeadRusch and Tygeezy like this.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
with my PC setup Windows 10/ 1080Ti I have to set it to 2160p 60hz Ycb420 12bit , and then I get the correct HDR mode when I flip the switch in windows HD Color settings window.
Some apps/games autoswitch to HDR others I have to flip switch first and then start the app/game. Hope this helps you.
Do you know what hdr mode is being auto switched to in games that support that? My tv (q6fn) supports 1440 p 120 hz and freesync. If i have the control panel setup as full rgb will it auto switch my games to full rbg 8 bit hdr? Or will it auto switch it to YCbCr 4:2:2 10 bit hdr? Full rgb is preferable for windows use and sdr games, but isn't YCbCr 4:2:2 10 bit hdr superior to full rgb 8 bit hdr?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
Quote:
Do you know what hdr mode is being auto switched to in games that support that? My tv (q6fn) supports 1440 p 120 hz and freesync. If i have the control panel setup as full rgb will it auto switch my games to full rbg 8 bit hdr? Or will it auto switch it to YCbCr 4:2:2 10 bit hdr? Full rgb is preferable for windows use and sdr games, but isn't YCbCr 4:2:2 10 bit hdr superior to full rgb 8 bit hdr?
I have no idea what Microsoft switches to so I manually input ycbcr 422 10 bit on desktop before starting the game. Yes colors for 10 bit even though it is 422 is much larger than 8 bit 444
post #9 of 14 Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I've wondered the same thing. Best I can tell, the admittedly few HDR games I have (Resident Evil 2/7, Hitman 2 and a couple others) automatically lock them into an Rec.2020/BT.2020 10-bit signal when HDR is enabled, no matter what is selected in the desktop. This is using a Sony X900F TV and an RTX 2070.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
I've wondered the same thing. Best I can tell, the admittedly few HDR games I have (Resident Evil 2/7, Hitman 2 and a couple others) automatically lock them into an Rec.2020/BT.2020 10-bit signal when HDR is enabled, no matter what is selected in the desktop. This is using a Sony X900F TV and an RTX 2070.
Apparently windows use to switch to YCbCr 10 bit automatically when you enabled it in windows, but now switches to RGB Full 8 bit with dithering. So one would assume that is what games that that don't require it to be enabled in windows do. You can still obviously manually set to YCbCr 422 10 or 12 bit in nvida control panel and when you enable hdr in windows it will correctly keep it at 422 10 or 12 bit hdr, but that's a huge pain in the ass because always keeping it at 422 12 bit is sub optimal for anything non hdr, which is most content.

"Hi guys I recently upgraded to 1803 and I'm having issues with the color and bit depth when I turn on HDR.

I have a LG b7 10 bit TV and a Geforce 1070 and when I used to turn on HDR or play an HDR game (before the update) Windows correctly set the display to YCbCr 422 10 bit.

Now after the update when HDR is enabled it switches to RBG and 8 bit with dithering in settings>system>display>advanced display settings which is wrong.

Is there any way I can change this somewhere in Windows so it correctly sets it as YCbCr 10 bit?

I know I can set it manually in the Nvidia control panel but that has to be on "use default color settings" so it switches back to RBG full automatically for non-HDR games."

https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-ca...r-problem.html
post #11 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
I have no idea what Microsoft switches to so I manually input ycbcr 422 10 bit on desktop before starting the game. Yes colors for 10 bit even though it is 422 is much larger than 8 bit 444
Apparently it switches to rbg full 8 bit with dithering, but use to correctly switch to 422 10 bit if you had it on windows default setting of rgb full 8 bit. It's a pain in the ass to manually switch any time you want to play hdr. You have to open nvidia control panel, click on manage resolutions, click use nvidia colors, click to switch to ycbcr, click enable, and then go to the drop down for 10 or 12 bit, select that and then hit enable again. So you have to do multi screen refreshes and a ton of clicks and opening a separate program just to enable hdr properly.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Apparently windows use to switch to YCbCr 10 bit automatically when you enabled it in windows, but now switches to RGB Full 8 bit with dithering. So one would assume that is what games that that don't require it to be enabled in windows do. You can still obviously manually set to YCbCr 422 10 or 12 bit in nvida control panel and when you enable hdr in windows it will correctly keep it at 422 10 or 12 bit hdr, but that's a huge pain in the ass because always keeping it at 422 12 bit is sub optimal for anything non hdr, which is most content.
Yeah, the whole thing is made more complicated than it ought to be. I wouldn't even bother using HDR for games that require it turned on in Windows. In my opinion, developers who require that aren't doing HDR correctly. Developers such as Capcom have it perfected.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Yeah, the whole thing is made more complicated than it ought to be. I wouldn't even bother using HDR for games that require it turned on in Windows. In my opinion, developers who require that aren't doing HDR correctly. Developers such as Capcom have it perfected.
I may be mistaken, but I think most require you to enable hdr in windows... I think all UWP games like Forza Horizon 4 require you to enable in windows.

I have a solution though... Just allow us to enable HDR via the gamebar. That way we can do it in the app. Also, there should be something in windows to customize what your hdr signal is. We know with HDMI 2.1 you will be able to do 4k 120 hz full RGB 10 bit HDR, but there will be plenty of older hardware people that don't have the required bandwidth and will want their HDR to be enabled as ycbcr 422 10/12 bit HDR.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I may be mistaken, but I think most require you to enable hdr in windows... I think all UWP games like Forza Horizon 4 require you to enable in windows.

I have a solution though... Just allow us to enable HDR via the gamebar. That way we can do it in the app. Also, there should be something in windows to customize what your hdr signal is. We know with HDMI 2.1 you will be able to do 4k 120 hz full RGB 10 bit HDR, but there will be plenty of older hardware people that don't have the required bandwidth and will want their HDR to be enabled as ycbcr 422 10/12 bit HDR.
I think I have only one UWP game in my collection that supports HDR: Gears of War 4. I hadn't even downloaded the thing yet and just noticed that it's a ridiculous 133GB.

If that is the case with HDR in UWP games, then the developers at Microsoft should get their act together and simplify to the level that a number of other developers seemingly have no problem doing. Having to always mess with settings before starting a game to get an ideal configuration was acceptable in 1998, but not so much in 2019.
Tygeezy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page