New build since 2008. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 35 Old 05-21-2020, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I hope the build(s) are going well.

Update to mine - this thread encouraged me to bite the bullet and upgrade my circa late-2012 hardware, built around an Intel i5 3570k. After debating between a whole new system at high expense or just the parts I really need to keep cost down, I choose the later. So I kept my old case with stickers showing long-dead hardware (Creative Labs X-fi!), power supply, hard drives, wi-fi card, and my recently acquired NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super.

Here's the new parts that went in:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

The upgrade cost was ~ $450 w/ tax, not including the M.2 stick that I had been using as an external drive. This is the first time I haven't gone with an Intel CPU! It took a couple of hours to disassemble the old computer, put the new parts in, and connect all the old stuff. And I'm happy to say, it booted on the first try without any issue.

And, holy crap, games now run much smoother and faster with the modern CPU. All the chugging the 2070 Super was experiencing, even at high framerates, seems to be gone. And much more room to raise the graphics options to Ultra in most cases, including Ray Tracing, and keeping above 60fps at 1440p.

I haven't messed with the M.2 drive yet, so the plan is to do fresh install of Windows on that in the near future. But super-thrilled how this turned out so far.
Yep, I had a i5-4690k and was struggling with quite a few games with a 1070. Decided to do about the same as you did, just got an X570 Motherboard and kept my drives. Went with a 2060super, and paired it with the LG27gl83A-B monitor. Love playing at high frame rates and 1440P.
DaverJ likes this.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-12-2020, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So the PC has been built and done for some time but one thing I never did was get my monitor. I had plans to get a 49" ultra wide. In the end after seeing the price of the new samsung oddessey and other 49" I decided to play it more on the conservative side. i bought an LG 34GK950f-B. This thing I have to say is sweet. fits on my desk great and I setup a secondary vertical monitor. it's 144hz 1440p res. Has Freesync2 so works well with my Nvidia gpu. all in all its a great compramize. Games look and play amazing and for content creation it blows my mind. working with Adobe premiere is so nice now! here's a pic of my setup. not sure the camera does it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200612_022947.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	2740840  
DaverJ likes this.
post #33 of 35 Old 06-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That rig looks killer, man!

I wish I'd seen this earlier I'd have advised you that a 1600W PSU is really overkill for what you're doing. That's the sort of PSU you'd get for an old-school power-hungry tri-SLI or even Quad-Fire setup.

And those multi-GPU setups are honestly only good if you're a slave to benchmarking. I've had SLI and Crossfire a number of times, and it's really diminishing returns. Even though FPS is higher, you actually need more FPS to have it feel smooth than you do w/a single card. Then there's the hassle of it not always 'working' with both cards because AMD/NV doesn't make an SLI profile for a game. I've had to hack together profiles many times, or force profiles from older games to be used on a newer game, etc.

It's pretty much going the way of the Dodo for anyone but hardcore OC/ benchmarking types.

Ergo, with a single card setup, even with H2O cooling and an OC'd 2080ti and an OC'd processor, the MOST PSU you really need is a quality 850W unit. 750W would've even been fine, 850W gives you a ton of headroom.

Just sayin' I know it's done already and certainly not worth crying over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 06-25-2020, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I didn't go 1600 on the psu. I ended up getting a 1200w psu because I couldn't justify the cost of the 1600 and like you said its way overkill. The 1200 is too I suppose but I was going big so figured I'd go big there too. Loving the new setup and monitor. Was holding out for the odyssey but again couldn't stomach the 1600 price tag that came with it. This LG I got was still 900 bucks on amazon but I had 200 off from using my amazon visa and getting points on my build. So for 750 after taxes I figured this 34" ultra wide was a good deal. It got really good reviews. it's 1440 with 144hz refresh time. games look great! I mainly play Wow. But have played Battlefield V also and it looks killer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200609_011653.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	2748696  

Last edited by gec5741; 06-25-2020 at 10:35 AM.
post #35 of 35 Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I hope the build(s) are going well.

Update to mine - this thread encouraged me to bite the bullet and upgrade my circa late-2012 hardware, built around an Intel i5 3570k. After debating between a whole new system at high expense or just the parts I really need to keep cost down, I choose the later. So I kept my old case with stickers showing long-dead hardware (Creative Labs X-fi!), power supply, hard drives, wi-fi card, and my recently acquired NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super.

Here's the new parts that went in:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

The upgrade cost was ~ $450 w/ tax, not including the M.2 stick that I had been using as an external drive. This is the first time I haven't gone with an Intel CPU! It took a couple of hours to disassemble the old computer, put the new parts in, and connect all the old stuff. And I'm happy to say, it booted on the first try without any issue.

And, holy crap, games now run much smoother and faster with the modern CPU. All the chugging the 2070 Super was experiencing, even at high framerates, seems to be gone. And much more room to raise the graphics options to Ultra in most cases, including Ray Tracing, and keeping above 60fps at 1440p.

I haven't messed with the M.2 drive yet, so the plan is to do fresh install of Windows on that in the near future. But super-thrilled how this turned out so far.
I upgraded my PC recently and it's very similar to this one. The only difference is the cooler, I have the Arctic Freezer duo Esports. All the games run so smooth at 1440p
DaverJ likes this.

"In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big." (Rush - Caravan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page