Funai (Magnavox, Sylvania, Insignia, Etc.) Discussion Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1625 Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

It's a Magnavox. I should have another copy of the disk (Grindhouse: Death Proof) tomorrow, weather permitting. I will report the results.

NB500MG9?

Firmware #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1625 Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjy View Post

It doesn't sound like there are too many issues with the Mag BD player, which surprises me, but I am wondering if it would make the most sense to just return it when I get it on Christmas and get a 2.0 player.

My Magnavox Profile 1.1 unit AND Panasonic Profile 2.0 player seem to BOTH be able to play ALL of the same BD disks I've thrown at them to date (about 40 of them) without any problems.

I kept the Magnavox as my second unit in my family room. The Panny is in the Home Theater.

I also have to admit that I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Magnavox has done so far...

FIOS = Forget It Operating (anytime in most areas) Soon
post #753 of 1625 Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Just tried to play Grindhouse: Death Proof and it won't play. Front of the player shows it is loading, but then the number 20 appears. Nothing helps.

It's from Netflix, but it's brand new, just released two days ago. No visible defects.

I'm having Netflix send another copy.

I just played the replacement copy and had no problems whatsoever. The first copy must have been defective even though a visual inspection could find no flaws.

No need for a firmware upgrade to play this disk.

I forgot to mention that it is a Magnavox player.

Karl S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1625 Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I just played the replacement copy and had no problems whatsoever. The first copy must have been defective even though a visual inspection could find no flaws.

No need for a firmware upgrade to play this disk.

I forgot to mention that it is a Magnavox player.

Thanks. I have updated the Funai disc tracking thread.
post #755 of 1625 Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySlime View Post

Other than the slight cosmetic difference in the shape of the front panel buttons (rectangular - 500 versus round - 501), is there any significant difference between the NB500SL9 and the NB501SL9? Purchased the 500 last week at Costco for $149.

I too would like to know this. They're both profile 1.1 players.

I'll note that on the Sylvania website, the page for the NB501SL9 actually talks about the NB500SL9 in the text, so it might seem it could be the same unit, just rebadged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvania View Post

Also, with our NB500SL9, you will be able to enjoy deep vivid colors created in nature on your own TV screen.

post #756 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

I'll note that on the Sylvania website, the page for the NB501SL9 actually talks about the NB500SL9 in the text, so it might seem it could be the same unit, just rebadged.

It is.

FIOS = Forget It Operating (anytime in most areas) Soon
post #757 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does the NB501SL9 do DTSMA and Dolby HD?? Thanks

What does this unit NOT do that would deter one from not wanting to purchase it? Someone at my work just got one and the price looks great.. my receiver is a Denon 4308CI

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
post #758 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
The NB501SL9 does not internally decoded DTSMA or Dolby HD. You can pass them through using bitstream to one of the newer receivers that decode them. This is similar to the way the Sony 350 and the Panasonic BD35 work for the new codecs.
post #759 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The NB501SL9 does not internally decoded DTSMA or Dolby HD. You can pass them through using bitstream to one of the newer receivers that decode them. This is similar to the way the Sony 350 and the Panasonic BD35 work for the new codecs.

my receiver does decode them.. so would I lose anything by just passing them through with bitstream? Would the DolbyHD and DTSMA lights on my receiver light up? (lol.. its all about those stupid LEDs)

My Setup Slideshow
post #760 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The Sony S350 does indeed decode Dolby TrueHD internally.

I dunno about the NB501SL9, but the Insignia NS-BRDVD also internally decodes TrueHD.
post #761 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the Insignia NS-BRDVD also internally decodes TrueHD.

CNet said that it didn't

Quote:
The bad: No onboard decoding for multichannel Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; subpar image quality on Blu-ray Discs in standard 1080p mode; lacks Profile 2.0 support; no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades; pedestrian design.

My Setup Slideshow
post #762 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I believe internal decoding of TrueHD on the Mag is downmixed to 2CH PCM.
post #763 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gushin View Post

I believe internal decoding of TrueHD on the Mag is downmixed to 2CH PCM.

On my Insignia NS-BRDVD, TrueHD is internally downmixed to DD 5.1 for output over SPDIF. The same goes for my Sony BDP-S350.

Perhaps the different specs mentioned earlier is due to an early version of the firmware. Note however that I am unaware of any firmware updates ever released for the Insignia. I don't even know how to check which firmware I have, because I can't find any reference to it in the settings menu.

Can someone confirm with the Magnavox? Is the TrueHD downmixing really different from the Insignia?

----

P.S. I posted this in the Sony S350 thread, but it has relevance here too.

Some load times for The Dark Knight. (N.B. The audio "boom" is at about 3-4 seconds into the movie.)

With the Insignia powered on, disc in the tray, and pressing tray close:

49" - Warning screen
63" - Warner logo
119" - Audio "boom" at beginning of movie

With the Insignia powered on, disc already loaded, and pressing play:

9" - Warning screen
24" - Warner logo
78" - Audio "boom" at beginning of movie

With the Insignia off, and pressing on:

63" - Warning screen
79" - Warner logo
135" - Audio "boom" at beginning of movie

Spinning disc on screen - load time 20 s

------------

With the Sony ver 010 powered on, disc in the tray, and pressing tray close:

40" - Warning screen
53" - Warner logo
141" - Audio "boom" at beginning of movie

With the Sony ver 010 powered on, disc already loaded, and pressing play:

6" - Warning screen
19" - Warner logo
106" - Audio "boom" at beginning of movie

With the Sony ver 010 off, and pressing on:

N/A - Disc didn't auto load.

Spinning disc on screen - load time 39 s

Note that the Sony times were a little more variable, and it was possibly a bit faster the 2nd time around... or it might just be that variability. Assuming the speed increase the 2nd time around is real, it occurred after the Warner logo.

I'm guessing that spinning disc is directly dependent upon Java speed.
If true, then the Sony BDP-S350 is roughly half as fast as the Insignia NS-BRDVD for Java.
In contrast, it would appear that the S350 is faster for non-Java actions.

Overall though, the Insignia loads The Dark Knight significantly faster, because of its much faster handling of BD-J.
post #764 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 PM

I re-read the manual, and there is no indication that there is any TrueHD and or DTS-MA internal decoding. It can only bitstream these to a compatible HDMI equipped receiver. If the receiver can accept Multi-channel PCM, but not TrueHD or DTS-MA, the Magnavox player outputs to Multi-channel PCM, except that the manual indicates this is a conversion from the DTS or Dolby Digital core streams (not the same as TrueHD processing).
post #765 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I re-read the manual, and there is no indication that there is any TrueHD and or DTS-MA internal decoding. It can only bitstream these to a compatible HDMI equipped receiver. If the receiver can accept Multi-channel PCM, but not TrueHD or DTS-MA, the Magnavox player outputs to Multi-channel PCM, except that the manual indicates this is a conversion from the DTS or Dolby Digital core streams (not the same as TrueHD processing).

There is no Dolby Digital 5.1 core in a TrueHD stream. Perhaps you are thinking about the core in Dolby Digital Plus. However, The Dark Knight does not have any Dolby Digital Plus tracks.

My Insignia NS-BRDVD manual states:

The DIGITAL OUT jack outputs Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD as Dolby Digital. The jack outputs DTS-HD as DTS.

post #766 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Directly from Dolby's site on TrueHD:

The coaxial or optical digital audio output enables 5.1-channel playback through A/V receivers and home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems equipped only with Dolby Digital decoding*. While you won't realize the full high-definition capabilities of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, the sound quality can be better than that of standard-definition DVD, because your Dolby Digital receiver can take advantage of a higher 640 kbps core Dolby Digital signal on Blu-ray discs.

*The player requires a Dolby Digital Compatible Output feature to enable the output of decoded Dolby TrueHD signals as a 640 kbps Dolby Digital bitstream.

Note: Each of these options, as well as HDMI 1.3, let you enjoy the new interactive features on Blu-ray Disc players equipped with BonusView and/or BD-Live.
post #767 of 1625 Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Directly from Dolby's site on TrueHD:

The coaxial or optical digital audio output enables 5.1-channel playback through A/V receivers and home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems equipped only with Dolby Digital decoding*. While you won’t realize the full high-definition capabilities of Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, the sound quality can be better than that of standard-definition DVD, because your Dolby Digital receiver can take advantage of a higher 640 kbps core Dolby Digital signal on Blu-ray™ discs.

*The player requires a Dolby Digital Compatible Output feature to enable the output of decoded Dolby TrueHD signals as a 640 kbps Dolby Digital bitstream.

Note: Each of these options, as well as HDMI 1.3, let you enjoy the new interactive features on Blu-ray Disc players equipped with BonusView and/or BD-Live.

I could be mistaken, but I think you are overinterpreting that statement.

This is my understanding:

HD DVD
Dolby Digital Plus - no AC5.1 core
Dolby TrueHD - no AC5.1 core

Blu-ray
Dolby Digital Plus - AC5.1 core
Dolby TrueHD - no AC5.1 core

On all existing HD DVD players, Dolby TrueHD is downsampled to AC5.1, although this is not mandatory. Only 2-channel support is mandatory. But the key is that it is downsampled, because there is no core in TrueHD. My understanding of the mechanism of AC5.1 output in Blu-ray players from TrueHD is the same, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #768 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 AM

Gushin,
I am fine with 5.1 as I would never tell the difference between DD 5.1 and TrueHD. PQ is much more important to me than audio, but 5.1 is just fine for me.
post #769 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 AM

I guess without any concrete hands-on information from Funai or reviewers we can't be too sure how TrueHD is really handled. Most BD's with uncompressed PCM sound come with a lossy DD track. The same is true for most BD's with TrueHD, so maybe there is no way for the players to output TrueHD via coax or SPDIF (which we know these can't handle uncompressed multi-channel sound).

But I'm in the same boat with captainjy. I don't have a receiver that decodes the newest uncompressed sound codecs, so I'm happy with the legacy DD and DTS I'm getting from the Magnavox.
post #770 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It seems like we Funai BR owners have lucked out so far. So far there have been no reports yet of a (non-defective) disc not playing, even after all this time.

However, the same cannot be said for the Insignia 2NS-BRDVD. That's the new generation profile 2.0 model from Best Buy, but it's a Desay. There reports now of disc playback problems with that model.

Quote:

I guess without any concrete hands-on information from Funai or reviewers we can't be too sure how TrueHD is really handled. Most BD's with uncompressed PCM sound come with a lossy DD track. The same is true for most BD's with TrueHD, so maybe there is no way for the players to output TrueHD via coax or SPDIF (which we know these can't handle uncompressed multi-channel sound).

TrueHD cannot be passed over coax / SPDIF. The bandwidth is far too low. It must be downsampled to DD 5.1.

However, my point earlier was that it does work. You CAN choose the TrueHD track and it WILL output 5.1 audio, even though there is no DD5.1 core built into TrueHD tracks. It's just transcoded before output.

Quote:

There is no Dolby Digital 5.1 core in a TrueHD stream. Perhaps you are thinking about the core in Dolby Digital Plus. However, The Dark Knight does not have any Dolby Digital Plus tracks.

My Insignia NS-BRDVD manual states:

The DIGITAL OUT jack outputs Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD as Dolby Digital. The jack outputs DTS-HD as DTS.

The Sylvania seems to be same:

And so is the Magnavox:

BTW, as someone mentioned earlier the Insignia does have a couple of benefits though. It has both optical SPDIF and coax SPDIF outputs, and supposedly has a better warranty too.
post #771 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

My understanding of the mechanism of AC5.1 output in Blu-ray players from TrueHD is the same, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not the same. If a Blu-ray disc contains a Dolby Digital Plus track or a Dolby TrueHD track, then the disc is required to contain a companion AC-3 Dolby Digital track.
post #772 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

It's not the same. If a Blu-ray disc contains a Dolby Digital Plus track or a Dolby TrueHD track, then the disc is required to contain a companion AC-3 Dolby Digital track.

Yes, but that's a separate track. (The same applies on HD DVD for TrueHD, but not Dolby Digital Plus.)

My point is you can play the TrueHD track on the Funai players. It's just transcoded. You're not forced to use the accompanying Dolby Digital track.
post #773 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

wow... this is going over my head.. lol.. quick question if I may.. is DTS-HD the same thing as DTS-MA or are they different?

My Setup Slideshow
post #774 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no such thing as "DTS-MA".

It's "DTS-HD" and "DTS-HD: Master Audio" (which gets shortened to DTS-HD: MA), the latter of which is included as part of "DTS-HD".

The good thing about DTS-HD is that includes a plain DTS core. So even if your player can't play DTS-HD: MA, it can still play the DTS core.

For me, the 1.5 Mbps DTS core is good enough. I don't care about DTS-HD: MA. (I don't care that much about TrueHD either actually, as long as I have a good DD track.)
post #775 of 1625 Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

My point is you can play the TrueHD track on the Funai players. It's just transcoded. You're not forced to use the accompanying Dolby Digital track.

My understanding is that it does not transcode the TrueHD track. Rather, it automatically uses the accompanying Dolby Digital AC-3 track for SPDIF output, even if you select the TrueHD track in the disc's menu.
post #776 of 1625 Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM

my father in law purchased me a sylvania blue ray player for xmas. i have a projector/screen/pre pro amp/and i use a denon 2900 to play dvd's and sacd and dvd a. i was waiting for the oppo (naturally) for a do it all solution.

the unit appears to output bitstream dolby hd and dts hd (not master). it booted surprisingly fast.

so, obviously i'm into the high end but has anyone had experience with these lower end units outputting hi rez audio and video. obviously, i have the 2900 (which is actually very good on standard def dvd's).

it appears to throw a rather soft image.
post #777 of 1625 Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Anyone with a Magnavox have problems watching Matrix: Reloaded? Just wondering if I have a bad disc.

Got my player on Black Friday and it has handled everything else I've thrown at it, a very nice Blu-ray player in my opinion.
post #778 of 1625 Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 PM

No 5.1 analogs
post #779 of 1625 Old 12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

My understanding is that it does not transcode the TrueHD track. Rather, it automatically uses the accompanying Dolby Digital AC-3 track for SPDIF output, even if you select the TrueHD track in the disc's menu.

How would it do that? Many discs have multiple Dolby Digital AC3 tracks.
post #780 of 1625 Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM

hey new to the forum but bought my girlfriend the mag for christmas and tried hooking it up via hdmi to her westinghouse lcd tv and we get no picture or sound at all but it works when we plug in the red white and yellow rca....any ideas any help is greatly appreciated.

westinghouses lcd specs
Display Specifications

Viewable Screen Size 19" Diagonal

Aspect Ratio 16:10

Native/Optimum Resolution 1440 x 900

Color Capability 16.2 Million colors

Connectors

QTY TYPE

1 Antenna In (RF)

1 Video/S-Video In

1 YPbPr In

1 HDMI

1 D-Sub (VGA) In

1 PC Audio In (mini)

2 Audio In (dual RCA)

1 Phone Out

1 SPDIF Optical Out

1 AC Power In

Compatible Modes

NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM 480o, 480p, 720p, 1080i

PC VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA+

Picture

Contrast Ratio 1000:1

Color Gamut 75% NTSC

Lamp Life 40,000 Hrs

Viewing Angle 170° Horizontal
160° Vertical

Response Time 5 ms

Video Features

Preset Video Modes - Enhanced/Movie/Game/Sport

Screen Fit Modes - Standard/Fill

Progressive Scan

2D OSD Graphics Engine

Selectable Color Temperature - 3 presets, 1 User Adjustable

Convenience Features

Autosource™

SpineDesign™

DayBright™ - High contrast LCD for both day and night

Parental Control

Sleep Timer

Dimensions and Weight

18.6" x 16.5" x 6.6" (with Base)
9.7 lbs (with Base)
18.6" x 14.7" x 3.4" (w/o Base)
9.0 lbs (w/o Base)
21.6" x 18.5 " x 6.7 " (carton dimensions)
13.0 lbs (carton weight)

Audio

2-3.5 watt speakers - Front firing

Cabinet Color

Black/Dark Silver

Installation Options

8 Hole Pattern

100mm x 100mm VESA® Pattern wall mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version